Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Thundarr posted:

I'd ask how it didn't become apparent long before then, but before like floor 175 healing is nearly optional in PotD.
Oh it was apparent. I was mostly in it for the gold-trimmed sacks, and we still got 10 of them, so honestly it wasn't a terrible deal. It still just stings though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I just want my Night Pegasus Whistle, dammit. I've been through PotD so many times and haven't gotten one. :argh:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Ysayle is an idiot and her sacrifice at the end doesn't redeem her at all.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Verranicus posted:

:yikes:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Post-64 MCH is fun, pretty, and surprisingly easy to handle. Just about all I need to do is remember to use Cooldown (and Hot Shot if necessary) after every Reload rotation.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Finally knocked out the latest patch content today and am glad that my initial impression of Asahi being a smarmy jerkoff proved to be true as gently caress.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Foxhound posted:

Finally knocked out the latest patch content today and am glad that my initial impression of Asahi being a smarmy jerkoff proved to be true as gently caress.

I had the same initial impression and when it proved to be true, well...

(Current MSQ spoilers)
I was sort of disappointed because Seemingly Good and Reasonable Garlean turning out to be Secretly Crazy and Evil is such a boring and expected "twist" it just made me roll my eyes. It would have been a smarter move, frankly, for Asahi to be everything he appeared to be in first appearances because at least people wouldn't have expected him playing it straight and it would have added some much needed ambiguity to the Garleans, who have been slowly devolving from Gaius' more nuanced take ever since 2.0 wrapped up.

Having him be evil just moves the Garleans even further into generic evil empire territory and everyone rightly skewers the Ascians for exactly the same thing when they stand around twirling the metaphorical moustache.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Meiteron posted:

I had the same initial impression and when it proved to be true, well...

(Current MSQ spoilers)
I was sort of disappointed because Seemingly Good and Reasonable Garlean turning out to be Secretly Crazy and Evil is such a boring and expected "twist" it just made me roll my eyes. It would have been a smarter move, frankly, for Asahi to be everything he appeared to be in first appearances because at least people wouldn't have expected him playing it straight and it would have added some much needed ambiguity to the Garleans, who have been slowly devolving from Gaius' more nuanced take ever since 2.0 wrapped up.

Having him be evil just moves the Garleans even further into generic evil empire territory and everyone rightly skewers the Ascians for exactly the same thing when they stand around twirling the metaphorical moustache.

You gotta remember after the fan receptions of Gaius and Regulus, the devs have admitted that Garlemald was coming across as a little too sympathetic for the type of story they were wanting to tell. Garlemald is supposed to be a threatening, unstoppable empire bent on conquering the rest of the nations, so with Stormblood especially they deliberately upped Garlemald's "evil" presentation. The shift is very intentional.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

They're not gonna do that because they very explicitly did not like people sympathizing with Gaius. I think that guy is probably mostly telling the truth though about Garlean politics, he just also happens to have a personal grudge which is slightly more nuanced idk

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

homeless snail posted:

They're not gonna do that because they very explicitly did not like people sympathizing with Gaius. I think that guy is probably mostly telling the truth though about Garlean politics, he just also happens to have a personal grudge which is slightly more nuanced idk

This is what I thought too. It's more nuanced but still gets the point across.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

You gotta remember after the fan receptions of Gaius and Regulus, the devs have admitted that Garlemald was coming across as a little too sympathetic for the type of story they were wanting to tell. Garlemald is supposed to be a threatening, unstoppable empire bent on conquering the rest of the nations, so with Stormblood especially they deliberately upped Garlemald's "evil" presentation. The shift is very intentional.

Just because it's intentional doesn't make it not bad writing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Meiteron posted:

The Garleans aren't anywhere near as boring as the Ascians, though, by virtue of at least having interesting designs even if you don't see their faces. In comparison, the Ascians are all just hooded jerks.

Also, Regula turns nuclear energy into a giant loving tiger and that owns.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
The "twist" was obvious to me from the second he got a voiced line, disappointingly: the VA was really playing up the trope rather than going for subtlety. Would be curious to know if it was the same in the Japanese version.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Eopia posted:

Just because it's intentional doesn't make it not bad writing.
What's bad about it?

The prospect that Asahi represents a political group who are, if not good, less cartoonishly evil than most of Garlemald (which would be good for everyone if they got more juice) as well as the Lexentales are probably a deliberate way to make it so you can go into Garlemald in a while and not be like "Why aren't I killing every Garlic I see?"

RME
Feb 20, 2012

dont sympathize with gaius imo

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/8ctc2y/im_20_and_my_girlfriend_is_12_can_we_still_make/

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

RME posted:

dont sympathize with gaius imo

I'unno. He broke up that faction that wanted to enact chemical warfare on Eorzea because he thought it was inhumane.

I don't sympathize with him, per se, but I do see how the Ultima Weapon (prior to the Ascians hijacking it) was an attractive weapon of deterrence against the Beast Tribes.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Enemies that you can have empathy for is much more interesting imo then basic archtypes.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I dunno, I had zero empathy for Evil Space Pope but I thought confronting him was both awesome and perfect Final Fantasy ridiculousness.

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by
holy poo poo burden of the son rules

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Sometimes its ok to have an obvious bad guy rather than dance around shades of grey or attempt to subvert audience expectations for the sake of being novel.

But yeah, Gaius was never intended to be relatable. Him going "whoa now, don't you think that's a bit much?" in the face of cartoonishly evil supervillainy like the chemical weapons plan, or choosing to give an assist to the heros because Nael had gone off the reservation, were meant to characterize his motivations and the brand of imperialism he subscribed to. Not portray him as some sort of noble warrior who just happened to be on the wrong side. The closest we get to that is Regula, largely because it's made clear that he genuinely prioritizes his troops and his mission ahead of himself. (He's still a true believer for the cause of building an empire by force, and thus a not a good guy).

pupuru posted:

holy poo poo burden of the son rules

Yes, yes it does. Whenever it comes up in mentor roulette I instruct the newbie to be ready to crank the volume when the robots fly back in.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'unno. He broke up that faction that wanted to enact chemical warfare on Eorzea because he thought it was inhumane.

I don't sympathize with him, per se, but I do see how the Ultima Weapon (prior to the Ascians hijacking it) was an attractive weapon of deterrence against the Beast Tribes.
The problem is that a lot of writers produce interesting, nuanced, understandable antagonists for whom you may care almost as much as the heroes.

Then, well:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Something being predictable does not inherently make it bad.

Verranicus posted:

My memory of the original 3.0 storyline isn't perfect, but that's not how I remember Ysayle. Her methods were poor, but she learns and accepts that. Her points were not invalid though. The dragons were being treated unfairly by Ishgard and they had a right to be pissed off.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Nessus posted:

Then, well:

And I think one reason why we never see faces of many garleans is because you can't really relate to some grotesque metal mask. Meanwhile: Cid, Lucia and maybe Nero are good guys.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm sure there will be plenty of sympathetic Garleans in the Garlemald expansion, anyway

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

It's sort of hilarious how the Garleans are literally militant atheists in a world with actual gods, and the WoL is basically Jesus.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Algid posted:

It's sort of hilarious how the Garleans are literally militant atheists in a world with actual gods, and the WoL is basically Jesus.

It’s a lot more badass when their reaction to the existence of gods is to murder them.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

It’s a lot more badass when their reaction to the existence of gods is to murder them.

Gods aren't exactly benevolent in this world so the Garlean reaction to them is understandable.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Darth Walrus posted:

"With engines of destruction, we have killed our gods."

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

SonicRulez posted:

Something being predictable does not inherently make it bad.

My memory of the original 3.0 storyline isn't perfect, but that's not how I remember Ysayle. Her methods were poor, but she learns and accepts that. Her points were not invalid though. The dragons were being treated unfairly by Ishgard and they had a right to be pissed off.

Ending the "cycle of violence" by letting one side of a conflict slaughter the other completely isn't just "poor methods", it's stupid. It's Micaiah from Radiant Dawn levels of stupid. Maybe if they had left out the scene of her gleefully cackling as the camera fades to black she would have been more sympathetic.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

WHEN I WAS
A YOUNG BOY
MY FATHER
TOOK ME INTO THE CITY

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Hommando posted:

Gods aren't exactly benevolent in this world so the Garlean reaction to them is understandable.

Gaius did nothing wrong

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
If killing gods is wrong I don't want to be right.

*genocides a bunch of species*

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Darth Walrus posted:

In fairness, this is also the position of the Scions. The main difference is the Garlrans also want to murder everybody who worships those gods (or who look like the people who worship the gods).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Truga posted:

If killing gods is wrong I don't want to be right.

*genocides a bunch of species*
It's like one of those button push memes. Push this button TO endorse militant atheism BUT you also got to genocide a bunch of people

Thundarr posted:

In fairness, this is also the position of the Scions. The main difference is the Garlrans also want to murder everybody who worships those gods (or who look like the people who worship the gods).
They seem to have been developing this. Both the Ananta and the Kojin have religious practices which CAN be used to summon Primals but which are not inevitably built around doing that, in the way that the ARR beast tribes seemed to - though even they clearly were doing it as a reaction.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 19, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nessus posted:

They seem to have been developing this. Both the Ananta and the Kojin have religious practices which CAN be used to summon Primals but which are not inevitably built around doing that, in the way that the ARR beast tribes seemed to - though even they clearly were doing it as a reaction.

It's a recurring plot point in ARR that most beast tribes summon their primal out of fear, when they feel threatened. Titan was summoned in response to Limsa's expansion. Moggle Mog was summoned in response to Ultima Weapon and fear of Gridania. Ramuh was summoned in response to Garlean aggression. Y'shtola points out that it turns into a vicious cycle - beast tribes feel threatened by expansion and aggression, so they summon a primal. The Alliance and the Empire feel threatened by the existence of a primal and so step up their aggression. Which, with some Ascian assistance, leads the beast tribes to resummon their primal even stronger than before.

The Garlean position of exterminating everyone capable of summoning primals also has the small problem that anyone capable of manipulating aether can summon primals as it turns out - Enkidu, Shiva, and Shinryu are all summoned by normal people with enough raw aether and the zealous power of belief.

The Garleans are, in my mind, heading for one of two conclusions: they'll either end up summoning their own primal probably by accident ala Shinryu, or they'll conclude that only the native Garleans unable to use aether can be trusted and set about exterminating literally everyone else including the playable races.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Cythereal posted:

The Garleans are, in my mind, heading for one of two conclusions: they'll either end up summoning their own primal probably by accident ala Shinryu, or they'll conclude that only the native Garleans unable to use aether can be trusted and set about exterminating literally everyone else including the playable races.

Oh, the Garleans are absolutely going to try genociding everyone and everything, the only question is how successful they’ll be before the WoL breaks their toys. Like I’ve said before, I wouldn’t be buying property in Doma or Ala Mhigo anytime soon. Doubly so since the Far East plotline is apparently wrapping up in 4.3, and I don’t see how they tie up all the loose ends in it without having Varis or Ilbenos grab the genocide ball and do it for the writers.

In lighter news, otters are like cats and excel at sitting in the most inconvenient locations.

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 19, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

homeless snail posted:

I'm sure there will be plenty of sympathetic Garleans in the Garlemald expansion, anyway

The IIIrd, IXth, and Xth Legion Legatuses are prime sympathy bait, depending on how close they are in personality to those games' villains.

Then again, we already had actual Xande in XIV and he was a dick. Regula also wasn't based on Kefka.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Algid posted:

At the same time, this is a universe where you basically make your own god. If someone with enough crystals decided to summon a giant toilet to worship, they could do that. I can understand the lack of respect for Eorzean deities in that regard, especially since most Primals are evil, unreasonable dicks who are a far cry from their legends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The IIIrd, IXth, and Xth Legion Legatuses are prime sympathy bait, depending on how close they are in personality to those games' villains.

Then again, we already had actual Xande in XIV and he was a dick. Regula also wasn't based on Kefka.

The X Legion Legatus being a primal or turned into one would be fitting.