Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Legion is legit great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
i almost don't count it as Marvel, which is weird. I guess I don't count it as Netflix Marvel.

loving amazing show tho.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Legion loving rules. They set the bar for Marvel shows.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Is there a place to stream season 2 or Legion?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Luke Cage is great y'all back off

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Beyond Skyline is utterly insane and I don't know if I mean that as a complement or a criticism.

If you don't know, the first Skyline is a fairly generic alien invasion flick, where the gimmick is that the aliens use an intense blue light to lure and capture humans. The sequel more or less picks up where the first one ends, except with a gruff down-on-his-luck/bad father street cop as the protagonist. Then about mid way through it transforms into a Hong Kong Kung Fu movie set in Laos. If you feel that is a startling juxtaposition, you are correct.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Simplex posted:

Beyond Skyline is utterly insane and I don't know if I mean that as a complement or a criticism.

If you don't know, the first Skyline is a fairly generic alien invasion flick, where the gimmick is that the aliens use an intense blue light to lure and capture humans. The sequel more or less picks up where the first one ends, except with a gruff down-on-his-luck/bad father street cop as the protagonist. Then about mid way through it transforms into a Hong Kong Kung Fu movie set in Laos. If you feel that is a startling juxtaposition, you are correct.

You forget to mention that Iko Uwais and Yayan from The Raid fight aliens with silat.

Edit:
If you watched the first Skyline, the protagonist of that movie and his family plays a major role in Beyond.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 18, 2018

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Skyline was a quirky little exercise in Hollywood meta-commentary, yeah? A bunch of characters wringing their hands about the invasion of special effects that hypnotize you when you look at them, attempting and failing to avoid it with stuff like closing the curtains and engaging in some utterly trite overdramatic acting, etc., until the main character finally decides to immerse himself in the special effects and use them for good to fight back against the bad guys. I remember an SMG post on it that was pretty helpful, but I dunno if I can find it.

So I'm wondering, does Beyond Skyline seem to represent a continuation of that conversation?

Martman fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 18, 2018

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Martman posted:

Skyline was a quirky little exercise in Hollywood meta-commentary, yeah? A bunch of characters wringing their hands about the invasion of special effects that hypnotize you when you look at them, attempting and failing to avoid it with stuff like closing the curtains and engaging in some utterly trite overdramatic acting, etc., until the main character finally decides to immerse himself in the special effects and use them for good to fight back against the bad guys. I remember an SMG post on it that was pretty helpful, but I dunno if I can find it.

So I'm wondering, does Beyond Skyline seem to represent a continuation of that conversation?

I think yes. The aliens experimented on the baby of the couple from the first movie. Her blood can interact with the alien weapons to create a counter-light that can 'wake up' human brains inside the alien bodies and machines. It escalates until the humans end the movie controlling their own fleet of spaceships and launching their own attack on the aliens. A 'visual effect' that you cannot tell apart from the real thing, dazzling even its creators.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Blind Rasputin posted:

Is there a place to stream season 2 or Legion?
Hulu had season 1, don’t know if they’ve added S2 yet since I don’t have Hulu currently.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

david_a posted:

Hulu had season 1, don’t know if they’ve added S2 yet since I don’t have Hulu currently.

They haven't in the US, at least. It's the only show I really feel like I'm missing with my current subscriptions (Netflix, Prime, Hulu, no add-ons).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Field Mousepad posted:

Legion loving rules. They set the bar for Marvel shows.

I should start legion, is season one available anywhere?

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Enos Cabell posted:

Legion is legit great.

Junkie Disease posted:

Luke Cage is great y'all back off

Apart from these two, I haven't had any interest at all in watching other marvel superhero shows. Between all of the shows and movies, over saturated is even a fit description anymore.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

I should start legion, is season one available anywhere?

Hulu

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

david_a posted:

I thought Hulu added shows a week after they aired but there's no s2 up yet. Did they change that or am I remembering that wrong?

Also Tale of Tales on Netflix was pretty cool. I love me some adult fairy tales.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Field Mousepad posted:

I thought Hulu added shows a week after they aired but there's no s2 up yet. Did they change that or am I remembering that wrong?

Also Tale of Tales on Netflix was pretty cool. I love me some adult fairy tales.

That depends on a lot of factors. Some stuff goes up a week later, some doesn't go up until the new season is about to air ala netflix.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Field Mousepad posted:

Anything from FX goes up months after the season airs, sometimes just before the next season starts.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
The new LOST IN SPACE sucks right?

This first episode should have been call WINTER FUN TIME ADVENTURE... pretty boring stuff. I then slept through the next 2 episodes.

Wondering if I even give it another chance.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Martman posted:

I'm not sure if I really agree with that reading of Skyline, but there is a continuation of that conversation I suppose in Beyond. It's not really a movie that has any business criticizing any other movie about anything ever. Maybe the best way to explain it, is that the typical cycle is big blockbuster movie -> disappointing sequel -> DTV movie starring Dolph Lundgren - > In Space. With Beyond Skyline they decided to just cut to the chase and put all of movies 2-4 into one package. It doesn't really attempt to tell one coherent story. But on the other hand it shows a bunch of aliens who survived a nuclear blast later getting taken down by a karate kick to the head, and it does this without any sense of irony or winking at the camera.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

The new LOST IN SPACE sucks right?

This first episode should have been call WINTER FUN TIME ADVENTURE... pretty boring stuff. I then slept through the next 2 episodes.

Wondering if I even give it another chance.

It's really pretty and Parker Posey is fantastic but it's very much a hangover show.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Lost in Space is “what if The Martian except Vancouver and he has a robot”.

I mean there’s literally an entire plot involving them lightening the ship by tossing everything nonessential so someone can pilot it manually to achieve escape velo.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
That's older than the Martian.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Lost in Space is “what if The Martian except Vancouver and he has a robot”.

I mean there’s literally an entire plot involving them lightening the ship by tossing everything nonessential so someone can pilot it manually to achieve escape velo.
If the focus was more on the solving of problems like the Martian it would probably actually be less annoying. It's more like an RPG where the plot keeps getting interrupted by random encounters.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Finished Bosch season 4 and thought it was great. If you liked the other seasons this one is best in my opinion.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Anyone watching The Crossing on Hulu? Is it any good?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lycus posted:

That's older than the Martian.

Wasn’t that an episode of the original Star Trek?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Blind Rasputin posted:

Anyone watching The Crossing on Hulu? Is it any good?

I watched like half of the first season (I love cult stuff), and it felt just average. It just didn’t click for me. I thought about going back, but after reading reviews I doubt I ever will.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

business hammocks posted:

Wasn’t that an episode of the original Star Trek?
Yes, The Galileo Seven.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

david_a posted:

Yes, The Galileo Seven.

Wasn't it also in Around The World in 80 Days?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

precision posted:

It's really pretty and Parker Posey is fantastic but it's very much a hangover show.

The entirety of Parker Posey’s screen time is spent on shots where she smiles and then turns around and slowly turns that smile into a mean look

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It feels like she's barely ever with the rest of the cast through much of the middle.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'm only halfway through it but Counterpart is fantastic.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/peabodyawards/status/986987985861271553

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Well drat deserved.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Fallom posted:

The entirety of Parker Posey’s screen time is spent on shots where she smiles and then turns around and slowly turns that smile into a mean look

Isn't that pretty much her entire career?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so today I learned that CBS made American Vandal

which means that presumably all their network shows are deliberately awful, because they're perfectly goddamn capable of making good TV when it's not airing over-the-air (as evidenced by this and Trek: Discovery)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

so today I learned that CBS made American Vandal

which means that presumably all their network shows are deliberately awful, because they're perfectly goddamn capable of making good TV when it's not airing over-the-air (as evidenced by this and Trek: Discovery)

Oh yea, absolutely. It's just that white people age 50-75 have decided that they want to watch the same kind of t.v. until they die, and aren't interested in anything that messes with the formula.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

Oh yea, absolutely. It's just that white people age 50-75 have decided that they want to watch the same kind of t.v. until they die, and aren't interested in anything that messes with the formula.

it's... it's not even the formula that's bad, though. police procedurals and sitcoms are totally capable of being good. the CBS ones are just consistently stunningly awful in their execution. it's like they deliberately make the shows bad so that only white people age 50-75 who have had their brains turned to literal mush will watch them.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

There is pretty much nothing on broadcast network TV that I want to watch anymore except maybe the occasional live sports event or news show. When I see an ad for a sitcom or other prime time show they all look ridiculously terrible and bland.

This is not to say that I'm not also wary of most of the offerings from streaming services and premium cable channels now, because I am. But at least I feel there's a decent chance that the show or film COULD be good and I don't require like ten people coming up to me telling me it's good unlike network TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

it's... it's not even the formula that's bad, though. police procedurals and sitcoms are totally capable of being good. the CBS ones are just consistently stunningly awful in their execution. it's like they deliberately make the shows bad so that only white people age 50-75 who have had their brains turned to literal mush will watch them.

The things you would say make a procedural or sitcom good turn off old white people though. At least the ones in my family. Ongoing storylines that require remembering what happened earlier in the season? Hell no that's just confusing. Unanswered, but tantalizing questions left unanswered? Well hell, if you weren't gonna give the answer then don't waste my time in the first place! Themes that make me question my own worldview? That's offensive and I will write a letter of complaint to the network.