Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
It's an anti-air jab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip

Futuresight posted:

It's an anti-air jab.
this guy gets it

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jack Trades posted:

Looks like they hired a NetherRealms guy to animate her.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Futuresight posted:

It's an anti-air jab.

Looks like a very aggressive blind person, but not really a fighter

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I like Ed so I guess I will like Falke. 😏

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Bushmaori posted:

Looks like a very aggressive blind person, but not really a fighter

Have you EVER seen a samurai movie?

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

MrJacobs posted:

Have you EVER seen a samurai movie?

I've seen Blind Fury

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Bushmaori posted:

I've seen Blind Fury

Then you know not to gently caress with aggressive blind people with sticks that may or may not contain a sword that will cut you in half.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

:lol::lol::lol:

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
There's no way MvC:I actually sold 1 mil.
Shipped, yeah. Sold, hell no.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Shiki Dan posted:

There's no way MvC:I actually sold 1 mil.
Shipped, yeah. Sold, hell no.

It sold a lot of preorders right after announcement before details id bet.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it's depressing how hard Max is in denial about these poo poo Capcom games, especially MVCI for which he made a whole sad video about what it did wrong (i.e. everything)

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Real hurthling! posted:

It sold a lot of preorders right after announcement before details id bet.

nah hes 100% right

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
shipped is the same as sold to capcom unless there's a policy where its like "we'll buy back your unsold stock"

shipped is not the same as sold to the consumer. you can ship a million copies and sell one. that means one person plays the game. this is important bc that means capcom doesnt get shelf space and poo poo. it also means less shipped games so even if it does poorly, capcom doesnt recoop any cash.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Just got back to this after, huh, 2 years? I think I last played in 2016 when Ryu was still good.

Quick impressions for what it's worth:

- why is Ryu so monumentally, embarrassingly bad now? All my neutrals are poo poo, damage is bad, even crouching MK now looks like it has a terrible hitbox/recovery, why did they mutilate Ryu so much

- I still hate the popular "3 frames links are for retards, git gud" critique. I'm not asking for Rising Thunder levels of stupidity but I think 3 frames are acceptable, what's less alright is that this SF rewards aggressive yolo plays to a ridiculous degree. Didn't the entire community complain about not having any defensive tool even back in 2016? How about a usable (make it skill intensive) parry mechanic for example? I like the fact that Capcom said hold my beer and made things worse for defensive players by buffing throw damage. I still love SF5 but man they're making it hard to love

- I'm Gold right now (and very bad) and I still see rage DCs from time to time. They still don't give you points for the win? What the gently caress?

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 19, 2018

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Does any game give you points when your opponent DCs? Not sure I've ever seen that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Splatoon 2 does

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Crush counters are such a bad idea for street foighta

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Double Bill posted:

Does any game give you points when your opponent DCs? Not sure I've ever seen that.

In most games you just win when your opponent DCs.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sfv has no ability to gauge who disconnected

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Every sports game I've ever played gives you a win if you were winning when the opponent DCs

The person who DCs always gets a loss and if you were losing and the other person DCs you just get nothing counted at all

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Those games online werent made by one single guy

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Those games online werent made by one single guy

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I like OG Xbox live 3rd Strike. It only tracked Wins and Matches Played. When a player DCs, which was a lot, nobody gets a win but both players already added to their Matches Played counter. Essentially both players get a loss when someone DCs.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gutcruncher posted:

I like OG Xbox live 3rd Strike. It only tracked Wins and Matches Played. When a player DCs, which was a lot, nobody gets a win but both players already added to their Matches Played counter. Essentially both players get a loss when someone DCs.

30th collection on ps4 is next week and i am stoked to see how much worse the net code is than a 15 year old dial up game. Usf2 on switch even wired up was excruciating.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Gutcruncher posted:

This was how CVS2 worked as well. I knew a few players who had an entire gimmick of playing a whole match only to quit at the last moment even if they were winning.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Kawabata posted:

- why is Ryu so monumentally, embarrassingly bad now? All my neutrals are poo poo, damage is bad, even crouching MK now looks like it has a terrible hitbox/recovery, why did they mutilate Ryu so much

I don’t see how ryu will ever approach even being decent again without a total change in design philosophy. Allegedly he’s the character the game is balanced around but he can’t take advantage of any core mechanic (v-skill, v-trig, crush counter) and on top of that his classic tools have been completely castrated.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Does ryu even have a crush counter that hit crouching opponents?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Sweeps are crushes technically

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Meh

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

ROFL Octopus posted:

I don’t see how ryu will ever approach even being decent again without a total change in design philosophy. Allegedly he’s the character the game is balanced around but he can’t take advantage of any core mechanic (v-skill, v-trig, crush counter) and on top of that his classic tools have been completely castrated.

Yeah I was like "it's not the character, it's the player", and then proceeded to lose the neutral game against literally anyone, never being able to apply pressure or prevent it. It's definitely also the player in my case, but Ryu never felt as terrible before.

I've seen some pros that still make him not suck (Justfog, etc) but they always look like they have to work incredibly hard to win compared to, say, hello Im Bison let me frame trap you forever and push all my unpunishable buttons, hope you like doing a lot of reading while crouching in the corner. And he's not even the worst offender :(

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
If I like playing as Ryu (fireballs, simple combos and dp) which character should I try out if I'd like to branch out?

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Renoistic posted:

If I like playing as Ryu (fireballs, simple combos and dp) which character should I try out if I'd like to branch out?

Akuma has everything Ryu does except they're much, much better.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Renoistic posted:

Ryu, but in ST.

Nash, probably?

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Im having a great time playing Abigail

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Renoistic posted:

Ryu (in ST)
Ryu (in Alpha 2)
Ryu (in Alpha 3)
Ken (in 3rd Strike)

Play Fightcade/Anniversary Collection.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Double Bill posted:

Akuma has everything Ryu does except they're much, much better.

Requires much more execution on combos and is made of tissue paper.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Thanks I'll check them out.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

MysteriousStranger posted:

Requires much more execution on combos and is made of tissue paper.

I find it very hard to pull his hardest combos off in a real match outside of training, and making a mistake with him puts you at such a big hp disadvantage it's not even funny.

Re: shotos, my Ken is decent but whenever I use him I always wonder "why am I not playing Cammy or Ibuki or Urien instead, all their crazy poo poo is faster, covers more ground and is unpunishable" but the answer is always the same, I don't want to put the training hours in to learn the characters. It's a lot of time spent in the grid, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Kawabata posted:

I find it very hard to pull his hardest combos off in a real match outside of training, and making a mistake with him puts you at such a big hp disadvantage it's not even funny.

Re: shotos, my Ken is decent but whenever I use him I always wonder "why am I not playing Cammy or Ibuki or Urien instead, all their crazy poo poo is faster, covers more ground and is unpunishable" but the answer is always the same, I don't want to put the training hours in to learn the characters. It's a lot of time spent in the grid, guys.

Akuma's last "same effort better results" outing was Alpha 3 and that ain't going to change soon.