Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Clouds to the left of me, douchebags to the right, here I am, stuck in a window with you
:dudsmile:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Grem posted:

Just to be clear on what happened on this plane...this dude took this picture with some lady stuck in a window a few rows ahead of him?

Behind I think.

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005

Clouds to the left of me, douchebags to the right, here I am, stuck in a window with you

I'm going to hell for laughing as hard as I did at that

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
About 10 years ago, I worked as a warehouse manager (not that important, but context). The operations manager was obsessed with bathroom cleanliness in the warehouse bathrooms. For some reason, he refused to buy urinal mints. His solution, use bleach cakes like you use in the tank of a toilet.

The bathroom became un-useable. People complained endlessly about coughing and it smelling terrible. His solution, more bleach cakes. He also used to sprinkle Ajax in the urinals. Not sure what his goal was there.

It took a wake-and-bake stoner that worked in our return-to-vendor department to realize the problem. Urine (ammonia) + bleach = chlorine gas. There is such a thing as a functioning stoner.

We had urinal cakes on the next supply order.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

mostlygray posted:

About 10 years ago, I worked as a warehouse manager (not that important, but context). The operations manager was obsessed with bathroom cleanliness in the warehouse bathrooms. For some reason, he refused to buy urinal mints. His solution, use bleach cakes like you use in the tank of a toilet.

The bathroom became un-useable. People complained endlessly about coughing and it smelling terrible. His solution, more bleach cakes. He also used to sprinkle Ajax in the urinals. Not sure what his goal was there.

It took a wake-and-bake stoner that worked in our return-to-vendor department to realize the problem. Urine (ammonia) + bleach = chlorine gas. There is such a thing as a functioning stoner.

I just left a job and our operations manager was similar except he was hyper sensitive to cobwebs. We might have had a complete lack of virtually every safety and regulatory item because the FDA had never visited in the five years of operation but this motherfucker spent $1,500 having a "professional cleaning service" scrub the top of my warehouse because the ceiling structure was dusty.

The professional cleaning service rode the forks of our forklift up to the ceiling and used swiffers. They didn't even get them all and the operations manager acted like I was crazy for saying that people shouldn't be hanging off the forklift mast.

I'd probably call OSHA on them because they jam wood into dc motors when the brushes wear out so they don't have to pay $100 for new ones and about a million other ridiculously illegal things but I think it's actually really difficult to bring the heat down on a place. The OSHA website says that only in special circumstances will they actually even give a poo poo.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I just left a job and our operations manager was similar except he was hyper sensitive to cobwebs. We might have had a complete lack of virtually every safety and regulatory item because the FDA had never visited in the five years of operation but this motherfucker spent $1,500 having a "professional cleaning service" scrub the top of my warehouse because the ceiling structure was dusty.

The professional cleaning service rode the forks of our forklift up to the ceiling and used swiffers. They didn't even get them all and the operations manager acted like I was crazy for saying that people shouldn't be hanging off the forklift mast.

I'd probably call OSHA on them because they jam wood into dc motors when the brushes wear out so they don't have to pay $100 for new ones and about a million other ridiculously illegal things but I think it's actually really difficult to bring the heat down on a place. The OSHA website says that only in special circumstances will they actually even give a poo poo.

They'll come when someone loses a limb or dies.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Good head on that boy. Where others see problems you see opportunity.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

VictorianQueerLit posted:

You could try the fire marshal, they might actually respond.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Grem posted:

Just to be clear on what happened on this plane...this dude took this picture with some lady stuck in a window a few rows ahead of him?

I read that other passengers pulled the lady out of the window, so she probably wasn't stuck in there very long.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

mostlygray posted:

Well urinal cakes have the added expenses of having to install robot heads to shout "This is a urinal cake! This is not a real cake!" for the benefit of color blind people.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 18, 2018

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

yurtcradled posted:

Draping tinsel to ground it through the metal frame beats letting it spark near the open barrels of ink and solvent. I have no idea if that's a correct safety practice, but they followed it religiously.

A year later, the company closed down the roto presses - they'd been out of style for a long time. Everyone does flexo these days. Though I'd love to hear from anyone ITT who still does anything related to rotogravure printing.

Used to work for Xerox, so not roto, but still print. They had static eliminators all over the paper path. They had passive static brushes that were the "pro" version of hanging christmas tinsel, and active ones that applied high-voltage AC near the paper to eliminate charges. Most of the machines were Xerographic or laser still, so that added another layer of static management.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I have a few anecdotes from manufacturing:

A lady was working as an injection molding operator, which involved removing plastic parts from a conveyor line and packing them into boxes. During her shift, a hydraulic line detached from the press, spraying hydraulic fluid on the floor and causing the cable to bang against the press. She panicked and tried to run away, but slipped on the hydraulic oil pooled on the ground and fractured her ankle. The molding supervisor tried to downplay the incident by saying "well I told her to not move", despite the fact that hydraulic oil was spraying all over the place.

I've seen a bunch of crane mishaps occur, especially with chain breakage. This commonly occurs when somebody tries to remove an injection mold from a press without taking out the bolts. The chains are rated for about 4-5k pounds and the molds themselves were between 1-2k pounds. So you really had to put a lot of force on these chains to break them. With that much force on the chain, it will rocket up and hit the ceiling upon breaking. It also sounds like a gun shot. First time I heard this, I was sure somebody was dead on the production floor, because there was a lot of screaming. I've seen this happen at least three times.

Did you know that there is a difference between metric and imperial measurements? Well apparently one particular tool maker did not know this, and tried to use a metric mold anchor on an imperial socket. The mold anchors are what attaches the press to the crane chain. This dude got about 50 feet when the anchor thread stripped and dropped a 2 ton mold on the ground about 3 inches from this his feet. The corrective action for this was to paint all the metric anchors yellow and the imperial ones red, along with marking the anchor point on the mold.

This is one from back when my dad was in the tool making game. A coworker of his was working on a mold with a spring loaded ejector plate on it. This basically keeps the ejector plate in place until the machine actuates the ejector plate and ejects the parts. While working on this particular mold, the clamps came loose holding the spring loaded plate back and pinched both of the dude's thumbs in the mold. He calls over to my dad and very calmly says "hey man, you need to get a die bar". My dad responds "Die bar? Can't you just get it yourself???" then noticed this dude's thumbs stuck in between the ejector plate and the rest of the mold. Thankfully my dad was able to get the ejector plate back and the other guy's thumbs weren't broken, but he would have been pretty much hosed if he was working alone in the tool room.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

glynnenstein posted:

I read that other passengers pulled the lady out of the window, so she probably wasn't stuck in there very long.

Yeah, they saved her from getting sucked out. Unfortunately she also discovered that shrapnel that shatters a window will keep on going, so she didn't make it.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

An anecdote from the automotive industry. Back in the early 90's, a colleague of mine was an engineer at a forging and pressing company. He designed press tools there, and one day was stopped on the shop floor by a press operator.
:v: "Hey, are you John?"
:) "Yeah, that's me."
:v: "I love your tools, man. They don't explode like the other engineers'."

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'll never forget the 10 or so minutes spent on exactly what grip to use when feeding boards into a pedal-operated chop saw from back when I worked a lumber yard. It's always the grip where both thumbs point away from the saw.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Bonus points if they thought to make it glow-in-the-dark and used radium paint like some old clockmaker. :unsmigghh:

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I have a few glow-in-the-dark exit signs at work. They're not super confidence inspiring compared to a lighted sign.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Hahaha goddamn.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, they saved her from getting sucked out. Unfortunately she also discovered that shrapnel that shatters a window will keep on going, so she didn't make it.

The engine did what it was designed to do, not quite perfectly, minimising damage to the aircraft. In the past that type of engine failure would have doomed or crippled, now you can treat it like a normal engine out failure. Replace the window, engine mount and the plane is good to go once it comes out of evidence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-8_Gnbp2JA

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTuTMF3GetA

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

glynnenstein posted:

I have a few glow-in-the-dark exit signs at work. They're not super confidence inspiring compared to a lighted sign.

“unfiltered fluorescent illumination”

:barf:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Holy poo poo.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

gently caress me. Was homeboy on the phone there OK?

edit: looks like injured but expected to recover.

http://time.com/5245373/hurst-tx-house-explosion-police-officer/

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

You can see the officer's hair burning off in a puff of smoke as he turns away

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Baronjutter posted:

This is why you always wear your seatbelt on a plane. Can't get sucked out a window with a seatbelt, can't have a heart attack with a seatbelt.

does the seatbelt ensure your shoes remain on?

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Bacon Taco posted:

does the seatbelt ensure your shoes remain on?

Shoestrings are like footbelts.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Tafferling posted:

Shoestrings are like feetbelts.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

glynnenstein posted:

Im a 'foot-candle'.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Carbon dioxide posted:

Im a 'foot-candle'.

Are you any other standard units as well?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
can i be a slug

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

can i be a slug

if i can be :stoked:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Subjunctive posted:

Are you any other standard units as well?

I'm a rod :wiggle:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

haveblue posted:

I'm a rod :wiggle:

I'm a hogshead :wiggle::wiggle:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'm a joule :bigtran:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS