Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

beefnoodle posted:

Hmm....walk across the street or drive/ferry/drive? What to do, what to do....

Goon so....

Neither?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
So I actually did NOT skunk today. I started the day off by setting the hook on this monster, caught on a lipless crank.

After I safely released her back to her home (yes I wetted my hands first), I got the call from my brother in law and our friend that they were at the docks. Fired up the motor, wrapped it up so completely in tules that it barely moved forward. I popped the motor up and cut all the crap off the prop and I was back in business! Or not, because I couldn't get the motor back down. A couple of old gents towed me back to the dock where the worker there fiddled with something and it went back down.

ANYWAY. About 30 minutes later I hooked into a little 1 lber on a white fluke, was great. Awesome times. The pics were blurry so I won't post them. I fish for another hour and get nada, decide it's time to size it down. I busted out my trout rod and put on a little white/green swimbait and two casts later I caught this fatty.

It was actually an incredible battle. The rod was an ultra light with 4 lb test and he kept peeling drag, rod bending while he was making runs. At one point he went under the boat but he got tired and I got him up. Probably 2-3 minutes of fighting, I was trembling afterwards. That was it though other than a few missed bites. Now I'm sitting here feeling like poo poo from the sun, weed, beer, junk food, and the swaying that is still going on in my head. 10/10 would do again.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I am the goon who rides the ferry towards the siren song of full crab pots.

Both goons whom I've fished with now are good, funny, interesting people to be around. Neither smell, and both look like they wouldn't know what swap.avi was if you didn't know better.

bongwizzard posted:

First swimbait bass of the year, hit a Gantrel Jr as it passed some pads. The park was super busy and I got swarmed with kids, who were all very impressed.

Nice early bass! Is it for real springtime there?

joem83 posted:

Total loving bass victory day.

Hell yes, dude. Hell yes.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Glad I’m not the only one that gets my motor all wound up in bullshit.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

TheBizzness posted:

I love that movie from your AV btw

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I love that movie from your AV btw

Thanks! Watched it for the first time in forever like a month ago. Was surprised by how funny it still is!

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sweet, you guys both survived the goon meet but it's too bad you that you guys didn't get any fish meat.

TheBizzness posted:

Dude I'm so good at getting the motor fouled up with tules. It's the beauty of the aluminum rental boat, just do whatever the hell you want. "Hey, look, that channel of water behind that somewhat thin line of tules looks good. Let's go!"

*plow through then spend 5 minutes cleaning the prop*

Pack of Kobolds, I know you wanted to see a striper picture. I don't have one of my own, but my cousin caught one yesterday (he's up in central California) so I thought I'd share!

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

So I've caught exactly two pike, one on a small gold mepps spinner on a cheap meijer spinning combo, and one, bizarrely, on a topwater frog fly on a tenkara rod. I'd like to target them more specifically. How do I do that? I don't even own any non-fly gear right now, but I can pick up a spinning rod - I just don't know anything about spinning rods or tackle.

Anyway, what do I need to catch some pike in SE Michigan on spinning gear?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

a foolish pianist posted:

So I've caught exactly two pike, one on a small gold mepps spinner on a cheap meijer spinning combo, and one, bizarrely, on a topwater frog fly on a tenkara rod. I'd like to target them more specifically. How do I do that? I don't even own any non-fly gear right now, but I can pick up a spinning rod - I just don't know anything about spinning rods or tackle.

I fish a lot for pickerel, who are tiny pikes. Take a look at musky tackle and then find smaller versions to fit the size fish you are targeting.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

Sweet, you guys both survived the goon meet but it's too bad you that you guys didn't get any fish meat.

Dude I'm so good at getting the motor fouled up with tules. It's the beauty of the aluminum rental boat, just do whatever the hell you want. "Hey, look, that channel of water behind that somewhat thin line of tules looks good. Let's go!"

*plow through then spend 5 minutes cleaning the prop*

Pack of Kobolds, I know you wanted to see a striper picture. I don't have one of my own, but my cousin caught one yesterday (he's up in central California) so I thought I'd share!

:bisonyes: YES. This is a life goal. I don't know if you and your cousin talk fishing a lot, but if he's the kind of dude who likes to talk tackle I'd love to hear what he used to get it. He should be proud; that is a gorgeous fish.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Lots of pike hang out in weed beds, Lilly pads and whatnot. Similar to Largemouth.
I've caught tons on topwater baits.

The red and white Dardevle spoon is pretty much old faithful for pike baits. But that poo poo ain't weedless.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

wesleywillis posted:

The red and white Dardevle spoon is pretty much old faithful for pike baits. But that poo poo ain't weedless.

Those look like things I could throw on a spey rod with a skagit head and a sink tip, which is kit I already have.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

I whipped out my dick lure on Tuesday, and couldn't generate any interest in it (just like in my personal life HEYOO). There were passing thunderstorms so I kept coming back in to fish from shore, didn't want to get caught out on the water with three graphite lightning rods. Live shrimp & chubs got me a stingray, a jack, a pretty big ladyfish, and a hardhead catfish. I hooked up on something else that pulled pretty hard but it shook loose before I could see what it was, probably another jack though. Tomorrow's supposed to be a nice day so I'm gonna go out and try again, maybe in a different area (I was at the mangroves at Gandy last week).

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Those look like things I could throw on a spey rod with a skagit head and a sink tip, which is kit I already have.

My dude, maybe I'm reading too much into your gear but if you have caught salmon and/or steelhead on a fly before I would really enjoy hearing about your experiences.

Any kayakers have a portable fishfinder that they like or hate? My new prospects of getting off-shore have me weighing new options, and y'all's opinions carry a lot more weight than Amazon reviews.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Any kayakers have a portable fishfinder that they like or hate? My new prospects of getting off-shore have me weighing new options, and y'all's opinions carry a lot more weight than Amazon reviews.

I got this for Christmas a couple years ago. It works well, and I've used it to find out where channels and potholes are. A lot of my fishing is done in mangroves or on grass flats so I don't take it out every time, but it does what it claims. Really easy to use, just download the app on your phone, connect it via bluetooth, and drop the ball in the water.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

:bisonyes: YES. This is a life goal. I don't know if you and your cousin talk fishing a lot, but if he's the kind of dude who likes to talk tackle I'd love to hear what he used to get it. He should be proud; that is a gorgeous fish.

Dude my cousin is an incredible fisherman, I'm so envious. Whenever we go fishing he outfishes everyone. I hit him up, he caught it on a fluke with a 1/2oz jig head. Off the bank, too.

joem83 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 16, 2018

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

Dude my cousin is an incredible fisherman, I'm so envious. Whenever we go fishing he outfishes everyone. I hit him up, he caught it on a fluke with a 1/2oz jig head. Off the bank, too.

Thanks for asking him! That is great to know. Stripers are prime quarry for Atlantic surf anglers as I understand it, so I'm not terribly surprised that he caught it from the bank in what I assume was a brackish area.

They apparently get as far north as Oregon. I have so many trips to plan.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Thanks for asking him! That is great to know. Stripers are prime quarry for Atlantic surf anglers as I understand it, so I'm not terribly surprised that he caught it from the bank in what I assume was a brackish area.

They apparently get as far north as Oregon. I have so many trips to plan.

He catches em here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Luis_Reservoir

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Yo you like stripers?

https://www.facebook.com/chesapeake.kayak.trolling/

This dude literally wrote the book on kayak trolling in the areas I fish. I am going to (as soon as I find my copy) follow his method this season and see how I do. I have my rods/reels figured out (I think), my lures figured out, my yak almost ready. I still need to buy and install a FF/Sonar/GPS, but that will happen next week.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Yo you like stripers?

https://www.facebook.com/chesapeake.kayak.trolling/

This dude literally wrote the book on kayak trolling in the areas I fish. I am going to (as soon as I find my copy) follow his method this season and see how I do. I have my rods/reels figured out (I think), my lures figured out, my yak almost ready. I still need to buy and install a FF/Sonar/GPS, but that will happen next week.

Yes! This is exactly what I want to see, and I eagerly await tales of your victories. Also I'm curious to hear what yak-appropriate FF you wind up with.

Huh, no poo poo? I didn't realize that they could be freshwater only, like kokanee salmon. Neat! It seems like that reservoir is a pretty diverse fishery, too.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Had an hour and a half to spare this after so I hit up the canyon in Eldo.

Plus a bunch of small fry. Fish are getting pretty hungry now!

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

My dude, maybe I'm reading too much into your gear but if you have caught salmon and/or steelhead on a fly before I would really enjoy hearing about your experiences.

Winter and spring 2016-2017, I failed several times to catch salmon or steelhead on a fly on the St. Joseph's river, SW Michigan, then I got this stupid brain issue that kept me from fishing most of this past winter. I've done a lot of spey casting, but I've only hooked smallmouth on the spey rod so far. Now that I've had surgery to fix the thing that was wrong with me, I'm aiming to make gravlax from Lake Michigan/Lake Huron salmon this season.

The rod is an Echo 8 weight switch, with a skagit head and a selection of sink tips. I'm going to get a scandi head this summer on a separate spool - I like fishing surface flies, and that's impossible with the skagit setup.

Anyway, the plan for this year is the St. Joe's again, at Berrien Springs Mi, between Lake Michigan and Indiana, where the fish are stocked and run to spawn.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Yo you like stripers?

That striper was so big it literally startled me when I scrolled past it (picture wasn't thumbnailed for some reason, lol)

Looks like my cousin got another fatty yesterday.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I’m all set for the first tuna trip of the season. We’re going to a place called Port MacDonnell just over the border from Victoria. The tuna are being found in between 50 and 70m of water which is going to be a fair paddle in the yak.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

I’m all set for the first tuna trip of the season. We’re going to a place called Port MacDonnell just over the border from Victoria. The tuna are being found in between 50 and 70m of water which is going to be a fair paddle in the yak.

Do they take you for a fun ride when you hook up?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

joem83 posted:

Do they take you for a fun ride when you hook up?

A bit, yes. Usually it’s just around in a bunch of circles although I reckon a 100kg barrel would just keep going and not even realise it’s towing a kayak. The biggest I’ve seen landed on a kayak was about 30kg which is still a fair size fish.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

gamera009 posted:

Had an hour and a half to spare this after so I hit up the canyon in Eldo.

Plus a bunch of small fry. Fish are getting pretty hungry now!

They're pretty!

Hilarious morning throwing into schools of bait fish in the ocean off Sebastian, FL! probably caught 100 mackerel and bluefish with my uncle and a really cool guide-- didn't get my tarpon though

Put a 20 (ish) incher in the net today on the Chattooga

I love catching smaller fastwater smallmouth - they're so streamlined and aggressive.

You and me both! They fight like they are possessed, and the takes! When I have a heart attack, it will probably be set off by either a. a grouse or b. a redeye ripping my fly off the top of the water and scaring the poo poo out of me when I am in my meditative, solitudinous (stoned?) trout fishing head space. I have been trying to talk my friends in to going out and targeting some with me, but they are such trout addicts that they would literally drive 60 miles for their next fix. A fun fact, the smallmouths around here are a genetically unique population, and they call them Bartram bass! I wanna post a pic, but I went back like 2 years into my icloud history and couldn't find one where the fish wasn't being grossly mishandled.

fake e:
this one isn't too bad

fake e2: It also may be a regular rear end redeye that I misidentified when I caught it

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 19, 2018

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

So here's a dumb ol question because I only have ever caught bass...

How do I start nabbing panfish or trout in my river/reservoir backyard?

There's a little cove I live on that goes out to a probably 20' deep area where the river goes into a wide dam.

It's probably 150 yards across at the widest point.

I've only been throwing 5" and up senkos on larger hooks so I'm assuming I just need different bait and smaller hooks

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Start throwing little Rapala CDs or original floating lures around. If you need something a little weightier for longer casting see if you can get your hands on a pink Wigston Tassie Devil, I think those have started to be sold in the US and they’re a great little lure for trout.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

There's a little cove I live on that goes out to a probably 20' deep area where the river goes into a wide dam.

I've only been throwing 5" and up senkos on larger hooks so I'm assuming I just need different bait and smaller hooks

I like Trout Magnet jigs/plastics fished under a float for panfish and small moving lures (cranks, spinners, etc) for trout.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

Start throwing little Rapala CDs or original floating lures around. If you need something a little weightier for longer casting see if you can get your hands on a pink Wigston Tassie Devil, I think those have started to be sold in the US and they’re a great little lure for trout.

I've been looking at pink Tassie Devils for (non-Australian) salmon. Pink Buzz Bombs are legendary up here, especially during the odd-numbered year humpy runs, and it seems like they ought to like these too. Good luck for tuna, too!

This weekend I'm going to break out my fly rod and let myself suck at it. I bought the dang float tube and it's not like stillfishing with bait has done me any good lately.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart
I only fly fish, but if I didn't

trout top 5:

1. real actual red worm and about 3 small splitshot sinkers
2. Little Cleo spoon in silver
3. Rooster Tail/Mepps/Panther Martin 3 way tie
4. bubble gum worm
5. Tellico nymph w. casting bubble-- this is my grandpa's favorite tactic for stillwater trout, and at 92 he still fucks on fish (substitute the Tellico for any large-ish attractor type nymph pattern. I've never tried modern flies like mop/rainbow warrior/Frenchie with this technique, but I bet they would absolutely slay)

Panfish top 5:

1. anything with a hook (I like using plastic crappie tubes on a 1/16oz jig head. also shouts, once again, to the mop fly)

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 20, 2018

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I've had nothing but success in the Yampa/Colorado/Frying Pan/Big Thompson throwing out the smallest rapala CDs and Trout-HD lures. I take out the front treble and leave the back one in - although I'm told swapping out for a single doesn't decrease the hookup rate any. I just don't have the time to go out and pick up the right size hook. I'm too busy hauling in trout. :3:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I really appreciate the lure recommendations from the thread's resident TroutSlayers. You guys make it look easy!

So apparently there is a little blueberry bog lake near me that has a bunch of black crappie and yellow perch. I've got a SUL rod that doesn't get nearly enough use and a brand new (to me) Creek 420 :350: Ultralight. Maybe Sunday, hmm.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I really appreciate the lure recommendations from the thread's resident TroutSlayers. You guys make it look easy!

So apparently there is a little blueberry bog lake near me that has a bunch of black crappie and yellow perch. I've got a SUL rod that doesn't get nearly enough use and a brand new (to me) Creek 420 :350: Ultralight. Maybe Sunday, hmm.

IMO take the 420 out on 4/20. :getin:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

joem83 posted:

We're hitting the water tonight in my friend's boat, "Straight Outta Twisters" :420:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

Waders and PFD don't get here until tomorrow. :(

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I wish I was going fo twenny fishin :(

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Sockington posted:

We're hitting the water tonight in my friend's boat, "Straight Outta Twisters" :420:

I wanna see some walleyes, mang. :weedass:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

I wanna see some walleyes, mang. :weedass:

It didn't work out well. His battery didn't like the just above freezing temps and went flat quickly.

Instead, here's that goofy immersion suit I was given for cold water kayaking. I didn't realize those gloves aren't removable in anyway, which kind of screws over fishing with it.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 21, 2018