Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

cis autodrag posted:

It is pretty stupid that windows still has limits on path depth but drat if you don't know how to work around that as a computer programming professional.

step 1. Don't bother

this works for most of us

step 2. wait until it is a problem and then fix it

this also works

but i guess if you want you can spend your life learning about quantum tunnelling and figuring out how to work around that too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i would have no problem with people asserting that "real programmers should know how to write cross platform software" if the people saying this were capable of it

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Man everyone is testy today.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
if you want to know when i died inside, it was when i had to argue for ascii names on a cross language project

anyway, at least git does NFC normalization now on old versions of OS X

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

Our programming language is so amazing, you can use emojis as variables! Emojis! 💩💩💩

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

tef posted:

i would have no problem with people asserting that "real programmers should know how to write cross platform software" if the people saying this were capable of it

If you say Windows is a first class citizen for your software, the reasonable assumption is the software at the very least works on Windows.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

tef posted:

"\pNice"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

qhat posted:

If you say Windows is a first class citizen for your software, the reasonable assumption is the software at the very least works on Windows.

it probably works as well as any other software on windows

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

eschaton posted:

it probably works as well as any other software on windows

It's almost certainly better than Apple's software for Windows.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Thats a bar so low, ant couldn't limbo under it.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Sapozhnik posted:

kinda. Windows has a constant called MAX_PATH whose value is 260, and a lot of programs have stack declarations like "char path[MAX_PATH];" in them. so windows isn't allowed to even read past the 260 character mark for any api that takes a path because idk i guess lots of people did strncpy()s into those stack buffers and potentially failed to NUL-terminate them.

You can, however, indicate that you wish to opt out of this limit by prepending \\?\ to your path, which wasn't a valid path in non-NT windows.

AFAIK the native wide-char win32 apis still have this restriction, since the wide-char api was designed for smooth migration from the 8-bit char api.

also, since win 10 anniversary edition, apps can opt in to be free of MAX_PATH limitations

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

tef posted:

if you want to know when i died inside, it was when i had to argue for ascii names on a cross language project

how much did zombywuf bust your balls for this

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I don't think ive ever run into the windows path limit in my time using it, but I also cant think of a use case where I would.

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Shaggar posted:

I don't think ive ever run into the windows path limit in my time using it, but I also cant think of a use case where I would.

npm from back in the day when it had recursing node_modules directories and there was a npm package called rimraf specifically for removing all those files with the paths that are too long because windows could not remove them

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

There Will Be Penalty posted:

npm from back in the day when it had recursing node_modules directories and there was a npm package called rimraf specifically for removing all those files with the paths that are too long because windows could not remove them

Writing scripts to recursively rename subfolders to /1/1/2... Is a thing for Windows webdevs that node their gulp or grunt.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Shaggar posted:

This conversation got me interested so I checked what the longest path was on my macbook (not following symlinks). It's

quote:

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/AppleTVOS.platform/Developer/Library/CoreSimulator/Profiles/Runtimes/tvOS.simruntime/Contents/Resources/RuntimeRoot/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GameCenterUI.framework/PlugIns/GameCenterTurnBasedMatchmakerExtension.appex/GameCenterTurnBasedMatchmakerExtensionInterfaceATV.storyboardc/UINavigationController-ZdU-Wz-1oy.nib

which is 378 characters. So well over the windows limit, but nowhere near the more standard unix limits.

VikingofRock fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 19, 2018

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I'd have assumed that java projects with stupidly long namespaces might hit the limit, but maybe not.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

VikingofRock posted:

This conversation got me interested so I checked what the longest path was on my macbook (not following symlinks). It's

which is 378 characters. So well over the windows limit, but nowhere near the more standard unix limits.

hmm yes, a valid and sensible reason to support long file names

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Shaggar posted:

i hit the limit a couple of weeks ago when a client sent though some stupidly nested data. worked for them because they'd copied the dir to the root of a drive, but i had to copy that junk somewhere deeper

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

hit the limit doing bog standard C# stuff and organizing the code and projects from a root directory of c:\dev\

microsoft build programs would barf on the long directories

we ended up not naming the folders the way we wanted to work around the restriction

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
how exploitable is this poo poo with a zip bomb?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

I used to have an app I worked on where the local copy had to be checked out to a drive root or maybe one directory deep. otherwise tfs and visual studio wouldn’t be able to cope with it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

/Users/xxxxxx/Sync/genealogy/Xxxxxxxxx/Jordebog, fæstevæsen, matrikelvæsen og skat/1582-1661 Lensregnskaber/Xxxxxxxx. C. Ekstraskattemandtaller 1610 - 1658/1644-45 Ekstraskattemandtaller/01 Den store Kornskat til 1.10 og 14 Dage før Jul 1644 (m. Bilag litr. A og nr. 1-3)/01 Bilag (litr. A og nr. 1-3)/284500,55509034.jpg

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Blotto Skorzany posted:

how exploitable is this poo poo with a zip bomb?

wouldn’t even have to be a zip bomb, after a certain file name length you can’t delete a file except with some workaround like browsing a directory in 7zip

create a ton of files with extremely long names, fill up the drives, bam

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I vaguely recall Suzuki was expelled from CMU for taking out CMU’s main AFS cell with something path-length related

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

tef posted:

um so yes

the persistant

durable

replicated

queue

that one

the one we're using

how can we purge it every minute

NihilCredo posted:

yeah that was pretty much my reaction too the first time it happened

well, no, it was 'surely i must have made some really amateurish mistake in reading the docs, it must have been spelled out somewhere that it needs to be purged'

i really wish i could show you the emails from the yoga-enthusiast amazon business manager repeatedly begging us 'uhm, the queue hasn't been purged for 3 days and it's causing us ~~~problems~~~, can you pleeease clean it?'

so i finally got a response from a techie at amazon on this

"oh, sure, amazon® sqs® is awesome and can totally hold your messages forever! but the way _we_ , the amazon® prime®now® team, use it, we assume you consume our messages as soon as they are sent and immediately delete them! so please do that, kthx!"

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

eschaton posted:

I vaguely recall Suzuki was expelled from CMU for taking out CMU’s main AFS cell with something path-length related

which Suzuki?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
https://twitter.com/hillelogram/status/987432181889994759?s=21

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
how do you mathematically model a library author who rage-quits the dependency infrastructure

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

akadajet posted:

I'd have assumed that java projects with stupidly long namespaces might hit the limit, but maybe not.

i run into linux path limit only when building scala code on an ecryptfs mount

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Gazpacho posted:

how do you mathematically model a library author who rage-quits the dependency infrastructure

the gently caress all y’all monad

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Gazpacho posted:

well its basically already in the spec... segfault == ragequit

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Does anyone have Elm opinions? I want to do a bit of frontend, and it looks cool from what I can see.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Athas posted:

Does anyone have Elm opinions? I want to do a bit of frontend, and it looks cool from what I can see.

like f#, it’s a nice language that can make your life very easy once you get used to functional programming idioms.
like f#, don’t count on it to get you a job.

personally i love it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Elm is great. The problem is everything around elm. Because it's so niche, getting help, working with other libraries, reading material...it's all in short supply.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
it’s a great language if you side with the inquisitors at the trial of Galileo imo

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
I love Elm, but it can be frustrating since the number of libraries for it that are maintained or in some sort of usable state are in the double digits. You can use ports or write wrappers around JS libraries, but it can get tedious and most JS libraries don't expose an API that's directly translatable to Elm.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
If I am new to web frontendy things (but do know basic HTML and CSS for static sites), is it a good idea to start with Elm, or should I serve on the Javascript front for a while first?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Athas posted:

If I am new to web frontendy things (but do know basic HTML and CSS for static sites), is it a good idea to start with Elm, or should I serve on the Javascript front for a while first?

First: I'm sorry.
Second: stick with JS. I personally wouldn't touch anything but react or maybe vue these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
What's your end goal? A job in the field, personal projects, something else? Elm is probably not going to get you a job, but it is quite nice if you get to make the decision about what technology to use, as long as whatever you're making doesn't require libraries that Elm doesn't have (or you're willing to put in the effort to write those libraries yourself.) Also it probably depends on what programming languages you know; Elm is FP, so it might take more time to wrap your head around if you've just done imperative stuff so far (even then, it is designed to be pretty easy to learn for people that have never done functional programming before.)