Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
All this discussion is silly anyway when the in-game consequences of the different ethics is that two rivalling races will have an identical level of technology and understanding of the galaxy and its life, but one will have decided to build and then become robots and one will have decided to hate robots and become psychic instead, and yet religion could only be involved in one of those, and having robots means you hate spirituality and having spirituality means you hate robots automatically. Also is it just me or does the Spiritualist ethic have a lot more ways of making people specifically drawn to the spiritualist ethic, rather than 'governing ethic' that everything else does?

I guess either side can eschew robots/psychics entirely and just genetically engineer their way to greatness.

It's on a tangent, but I also dislike that having other races join a psychic empire will make them turn psychic, but if you assimilate other races into a synth empire they straight up become copies of your base synth race, rather than cyborgs or their own robots or whatever.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Black Pants posted:

It's on a tangent, but I also dislike that having other races join a psychic empire will make them turn psychic, but if you assimilate other races into a synth empire they straight up become copies of your base synth race, rather than cyborgs or their own robots or whatever.
Well, if you don't have to take the full synth ascension path too. If you want to have cyborgs around still, just take the first perk and skip the second. In some ways I'd argue it's better; the cyborg trait is still really decent, you can assimilate new species while keeping their original traits, you can still build synths and have synth leaders if you want them, you can still have vaguely friendly relations with spiritualists, and there's the opportunity cost savings of having an additional ascension perk. Obviously having a civilization of immortal machines with good machine traits is nice, but it's really more of a personal preference or flavor choice as opposed to psionics or biology ascensions where the second perk is effectively a straight upgrade.

And yes, you can in theory wind up with a population that has the psionic, cybernetic, and biological special traits. It'd require having them shuffled around between a few different empires though so good luck actually seeing it happen in practice. My last hive mind game did wind up with hive-minded and bio-engineered psychics and cyborgs after I ate the Spiritualist and Materialist FEs though.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Hot take: Spiritualism probably is more about belief in the soul than it is about any kind of religion, which is why Spiritualists get along.

This would then be why they don't like robots, as they believe robots don't have souls. Someone should introduce them to Zenyatta.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Shadowlyger posted:

Hot take: Spiritualism probably is more about belief in the soul than it is about any kind of religion, which is why Spiritualists get along.

This would then be why they don't like robots, as they believe robots don't have souls. Someone should introduce them to Zenyatta.

I kind of read that as more believing that robots are abominations created by man playing God than anything. Artificial life is wrong because it's artificial.

I kind of with there was a chance that spiritualist empires would just plain not get along because their beliefs didn't jive. That or militant spiritualists despise other spiritualists because our way is the only right and good one. Meanwhile peaceful ones just kind of chill out and are like "well hey man you can believe what you believe, it's cool bro" so they can't not get along with others.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Asimo posted:

And yes, you can in theory wind up with a population that has the psionic, cybernetic, and biological special traits. It'd require having them shuffled around between a few different empires though so good luck actually seeing it happen in practice. My last hive mind game did wind up with hive-minded and bio-engineered psychics and cyborgs after I ate the Spiritualist and Materialist FEs though.

This happened in my latest hivemind genetic path game and psychics made great admirals/generals (specifically the awakened Holy empire I captured became my primary military leaders race).

Also that's a good point about taking the first synth ascendency perk and not the second. Cyborg is a really strong trait.

By the way, does anyone know how the AI picks which traditions/perks to take?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Most are certain that by default it's completely random.

Meanwhile I do things like leaving a Ascension Perk or two empty for years on end to get, for instance, Psionics when the tech finally allows it. I vaguely wonder if this is stupider.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 19, 2018

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I kind of read that as more believing that robots are abominations created by man playing God than anything. Artificial life is wrong because it's artificial.

I kind of with there was a chance that spiritualist empires would just plain not get along because their beliefs didn't jive. That or militant spiritualists despise other spiritualists because our way is the only right and good one. Meanwhile peaceful ones just kind of chill out and are like "well hey man you can believe what you believe, it's cool bro" so they can't not get along with others.
I'm down with militants in general hating lukewarm moderates but I think it should be general if so. Spiritualists don't need a bunch of "religion is dumb and for babies" modifiers

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Bloodly posted:

Meanwhile I do things like leaving a Ascension Perk or two empty for years on end to get, for instance, Psionics when the tech finally allows it. I vaguely wonder if this is stupider.

I usually end up keeping a slot open for "WHAT IF A CRISIS SHOWS UP OR A FE DECIDES TO THROW DOWN"

aaaand then I hit a victory condition without having spent the Perk slot. :downs:

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
On that note, I wish the game would recognize when two empires of the same species interact with each other. If I'm the UNE and I meet another human empire they still talk like we're two different species. Two empires with the same government get a modifier, but two empires with the same species do not.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Congrats for being able to finish a game. I'm too...flighty. Like I just keep restarting. I'll get some mod or two and start fresh games all the time, or the game gets too slow and I get annoyed, and so on.

quote:

On that note, I wish the game would recognize when two empires of the same species interact with each other. If I'm the UNE and I meet another human empire they still talk like we're two different species.

I'm fairly sure some do even by default settings. It was something they added a while back, I think.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Bloodly posted:

Congrats for being able to finish a game. I'm too...flighty. Like I just keep restarting. I'll get some mod or two and start fresh games all the time, or the game gets too slow and I get annoyed, and so on.

TBH it's only since 2.0 that I've had the fortitude to sit through a complete game.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
The official forums have reminded me that Niven also wrote The Mote In God's Eye and its sequel, which were amongst my favourite sci fi books. I think we can assume this confirms that there'll unspeakably mischevious things locked in barricaded clusters in 2.1.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I hope there's a space grey goo event of some sort locked away in one of those booby trap systems. The unbidden are sorta that but can be fairly easily stymied.

The manga battle angel alita had something like that where mankind tested weaponized nanomachines on mercury, lost control, and it turned into a roiling ball of grey goo in space that eventually started developing technoorganisms and rudimentary intelligence.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

The official forums have reminded me that Niven also wrote The Mote In God's Eye and its sequel, which were amongst my favourite sci fi books. I think we can assume this confirms that there'll unspeakably mischevious things locked in barricaded clusters in 2.1.
With Pournelle! He and Niven do good work together. If you liked Mote read Footfall.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Bloodly posted:

I do that too, usually because of a vague plan for totals that relies on me getting a correct number or whatever.

The AI seems to take perks late and randomly so it kinda works out.

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish
first 2.1 dev diary up: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru..._2018419_pla_dd

- no more anomaly fail chance, skills = time to research
- hyperlane clusters from earlier
- new star system types from earlier

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Level 10 animals anomalies. Nice.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Wait, so is the 2.03 patch actually fixed now or nah?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

toasterwarrior posted:

Wait, so is the 2.03 patch actually fixed now or nah?

no, but now you can roll back to 2.02 with the beta tab

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Goa Tse-tung posted:

no, but now you can roll back to 2.02 with the beta tab

Dang. Figured that they'd have a hotfix out before having the dev diary go up, maybe it would be a bad look or something.

Unrelated but it turns out that synths don't qualify as slaves for the slave processing facility. Also dang, I was hoping to stack bonuses like crazy.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

theysayheygreg posted:

first 2.1 dev diary up: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru..._2018419_pla_dd

- no more anomaly fail chance, skills = time to research
- hyperlane clusters from earlier
- new star system types from earlier
Going to set all my level 1 scientist's to anomaly research, those that survive graduate to less potentially murderous work.

Also Wiz if you're lurking please let the no chokepoint spawns be changeable on game start, ideally going all the way up to "all leviathans spawn on chokepoints" as an option.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 19, 2018

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Jabarto posted:

I haven't mathed it out or anything but the planet being uncolonizable or running at -20% happiness for several decades is a pretty big opportunity cost.

i dunno about you but i always turn my living standards to social welfare and pay the artisans to organize a giant orgy. so my dudes are sitting at 98% happiness while terraforming is going on. The hit is minimal if you take advantage of ways to mitigate it.

I'm always flush with energy too, and now that the parties are just energy it makes it even easier

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
No matter the ethos you're playing as hedonism really is the way of the future.

Even the slaves don't mind being slaves after a while when you shoot them full of drugs and toss 'em in the pleasure sphere every once and a while. Though I don't think they benefit from Riggan Spice or the Festival of Worlds anymore. Pretty sure they still get a bump from being on Gaia planets though.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I don't think the spiritualism/materialism divide is a 'faith' vs 'scientific method' thing. Spiritualists are dualists and materialists are... well, materialists, in that spiritualists believe there is something transcendental and ineffable about consciousness, while materialists think that consciousness and personhood are mechanical properties of matter. This is why spiritualists distrust AI (no matter how you make a machine, it can never be truly conscious and alive) and why materialists never stumble upon psionics (because no matter how ineffable a process is, you can always make a machine that approximates it). It's actually both of them that are wrong, since in Stellaris we can clearly see that advanced-enough robots really are sentient and conscious, but also there is this whole plane of existence that they have no access to because biological consciousness is transcendental in some way.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Boing posted:

It's actually both of them that are wrong, since in Stellaris we can clearly see that advanced-enough robots really are sentient and conscious, but also there is this whole plane of existence that they have no access to because biological consciousness is transcendental in some way.

Are you sure that's not just because the shroud is racist as gently caress towards robots?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Must-have can't-even-play-without mod discovered: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1362175551

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I knew it would be stupid, but at least it's a good stupid

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I'm always a bit afraid of downloading mods as soon as they're released, and this one looks like it needs to ripen a bit.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I was really hoping 2.0.3 would have some desync fixes. 2.0.2 doesn't desync nearly as much as 2.0 did, but late game it is still a definite problem. I've mostly abandoned multiplayer right now until it is fixed, which is a shame as it is the main way that I play.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I hope there's a space grey goo event of some sort locked away in one of those booby trap systems. The unbidden are sorta that but can be fairly easily stymied.

Grey goo/VN berserkers are a good untapped crisis idea

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Aren't the Ancient Caretakers flagged as berserkers if they fail the contingency check?

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Shadowlyger posted:

It's a staüle of Sci-Fi and perhapseven true: Islam doesn't have any beef with AI. Any soul comes from Allah, problem solved.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

The Chad Jihad posted:

Paperclip drones and Stargate replicators :v:

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Sloober posted:

i dunno about you but i always turn my living standards to social welfare and pay the artisans to organize a giant orgy. so my dudes are sitting at 98% happiness while terraforming is going on. The hit is minimal if you take advantage of ways to mitigate it.

I'm always flush with energy too, and now that the parties are just energy it makes it even easier

This is actually a good point, I play a lot of fanatic egalitarians with utopian living standards and I never thought about having the artisans throw a festival. I actually have never tried throwing a festival at all since I read about all the negative events it can slam you with, but maybe it's worth a shot.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Chalks posted:

I'm always a bit afraid of downloading mods as soon as they're released, and this one looks like it needs to ripen a bit.

Plantains are supposed to eaten while green. Please don't waste food.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The Chad Jihad posted:

VN beserkers were one of the more fun enemies in Sword of the Stars

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Jabarto posted:

This is actually a good point, I play a lot of fanatic egalitarians with utopian living standards and I never thought about having the artisans throw a festival. I actually have never tried throwing a festival at all since I read about all the negative events it can slam you with, but maybe it's worth a shot.

I've done a lot of them and the bad events are rare. Nothing usually happens, the worst is a potential 2 year happiness hit but you can buy it off with 100 influence

basically i'm saying that terraforming to gaia is easily worth it as whatever hit you get can be mitigated.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 19, 2018

PolarPear
Apr 4, 2010
This is the devouring swarm version: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1364634724

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jabarto posted:

Yeah don't worry about those events, they're not all that bad, and easily worth it in exchange for the growth bonus, and the happiness is nice as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Soylent Pudding posted:

VN beserkers were one of the more fun enemies in Sword of the Stars

Gort was amazing too.

Hear the Judgement of the Peacekeepers of Stellar Generation Prime!