Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I thought I smelled weed at work earlier, but it turns out it was my own fart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Did you think one was a character that was played by the other, like Steve Coogan and Alan Partridge?

No, just someone (apparently two people) that I'm vaguely aware of. I think I saw the Roseanne sitcom as a kid.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

hawowanlawow posted:

Cut down on the edibles, dude.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

hawowanlawow posted:

:nws: also possibly :nms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUy735iXit8&t=900s

Also I literally just found that video yesterday your timing is impeccable.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Garrand posted:

:nws: also possibly :nms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUy735iXit8&t=900s

Also I literally just found that video yesterday your timing is impeccable.

Todd's One Hit Wonderland series is pretty interesting. I had no idea that singing Mickey is like the least of Toni Basil's accomplishments, for instance.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Randaconda posted:

Todd's One Hit Wonderland series is pretty interesting. I had no idea that singing Mickey is like the least of Toni Basil's accomplishments, for instance.

Been working my way through his videos and they're all pretty good but the One Hit Wonderland ones are really cool and informative.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Garrand posted:

Been working my way through his videos and they're all pretty good but the One Hit Wonderland ones are really cool and informative.

It's funny how the first OHW he did started with him breaking his own rule, since A-Ha was extremely successful for a long period of time.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
And nobody in the US knows any of their songs except Take On Me and maybe The Sun Always Shines on TV.

I'm kind of curious what bands had a long successful career in the US and are regarded as a one-hit wonder elsewhere—I can't think of any off the top of my head. Maybe Frank Zappa with Bobby Brown in some parts of Europe?

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 02:58 on Apr 19, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rollersnake posted:

And nobody in the US knows any of their songs except Take On Me and maybe The Sun Always Shines on TV.

I'm kind of curious what bands had a long successful career in the US and are regarded as a one-hit wonder elsewhere—I can't think of any off the top of my head. Maybe Frank Zappa with Bobby Brown in some parts of Europe?

Let’s say no one has heard any songs on the radio other than those two. I bought every A Ha album released in the US when they came out (including the recently released, and very awesome, Unplugged album)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Garrand posted:

I started watching his channel after I was randomly linked to one of his videos in GBS. Good stuff, I learned a lot. I realized I knew almost all of the one-hit songs, but in many cases I didn't know the name of the artist.

Now I'm going through the Rap Critic's videos.

@Rollersnake: probably most country acts that had an unlikely international hit. I'm thinking of that one song Tim McGraw did featuring Nelly. I have no idea whether or not that's actually a good example, but that's the only context in which I've heard of him.

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 07:38 on Apr 19, 2018

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Billy Ray Cyrus

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Randaconda posted:

It's funny how the first OHW he did started with him breaking his own rule, since A-Ha was extremely successful for a long period of time.

Well, here's me posting stuff I didn't know. I'm old enough to remember when the "take on me" video first aired on MTV, but had no idea they weren't a one hit wonder. Can't say I know a single other song by them, and I used to be a manager for a used CD store. :psyduck:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Well, here's me posting stuff I didn't know. I'm old enough to remember when the "take on me" video first aired on MTV, but had no idea they weren't a one hit wonder. Can't say I know a single other song by them, and I used to be a manager for a used CD store. :psyduck:

Well, they're arguably a one hit wonder in the US, but they were/are huge stars in their native Norway.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rollersnake posted:

Rage Against the Machine? (which I only know because a UK fan tried to get Todd to do whatever song was a hit over there)

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Rollersnake posted:

A whole lot of lovely hair metal bands like Motley Crue or Kiss

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 19:30 on Apr 19, 2018

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Randaconda posted:

Well, they're arguably a one hit wonder in the US, but they were/are huge stars in their native Norway.

Hunting High and Low was moderately big in the old country.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sweevo posted:

lovely hair metal bands like Motley Crue

loving fight me irl

motley crue owned

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sweevo posted:

hair metal bands like Kiss

Kiss long predates hair metal my man

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

kiss is even lamer than hair metal

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Henchman of Santa posted:

Kiss long predates hair metal my man

I'd say Kiss was the first hair metal band tbh at least the first one that made a big splash.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

purple death ray posted:

I'd say Kiss was the first hair metal band tbh at least the first one that made a big splash.

Their early albums are straight glam rock and hard rock. Like if you removed all the subtlety from T. Rex and added a lot more muscle.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Randaconda posted:

Rage Against the Machine? (which I only know because a UK fan tried to get Todd to do whatever song was a hit over there)

Killing In The Name is the one they always play on the radio, despite it not being their best song by a long shot.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Phlegmish posted:

Killing In The Name is the one they always play on the radio, despite it not being their best song by a long shot.

Greatest Christmas song of all time

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

iajanus posted:

Greatest Christmas song of all time

They raised a ton of money for charity, pissed off Simon Cowell and got a Guinness world record for 'Fastest-selling digital track (UK)' at the same time. A true Christmas miracle. :allears:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

hawowanlawow posted:

kiss is even lamer than hair metal
I like you, Stuart. You're not like the other people here, in the trailer park.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They raised a ton of money for charity, pissed off Simon Cowell and got a Guinness world record for 'Fastest-selling digital track (UK)' at the same time. A true Christmas miracle. :allears:

Couldn't be more happy about it

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Furby = fur baby.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I went on a school trip 15 years ago when I was in high school, and some people on the trip kept singing Show Me the Way to Go Home, including a version where all the lyrics are replaced with the most longwinded words possible (which I now see is included in that wiki page, but bear with me). I've had it stuck in my head on and off since then, literally for 15 years, and I've always thought it was a bit odd that the first line was "indicate the way to my boat" since boat isn't a formal word for home. I've just been humming it to myself again and finally realised after over a decade of humming this song to myself that it was and always has been "abode".

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

"Sometimes I Don't Mind" by the Suicide Machines is a love song

about a dog.

It's pretty dang cute :3

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Similarly, Martha My Dear by The Beatles, though that's pretty well-known.

Actress/boob-haver Jane Russell did not die tragically young, and apparently I've been combining her and Jayne Mansfield into one person.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

General relativity says gravity is the result of matter bending spacetime. Like putting a bowling ball on a trampoline makes the trampoline sag, and if you roll a tennis ball across the trampoline, it will curve towards the bowling ball.

I just realised that "matter bending spacetime" means that it must distort time too. I don't know what the implications of that are, but that's a real "holy poo poo!" moment.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Hyperlynx posted:

General relativity says gravity is the result of matter bending spacetime. Like putting a bowling ball on a trampoline makes the trampoline sag, and if you roll a tennis ball across the trampoline, it will curve towards the bowling ball.

I just realised that "matter bending spacetime" means that it must distort time too. I don't know what the implications of that are, but that's a real "holy poo poo!" moment.

If I remember correctly time does slow down relative to earth in orbit, so anyone up in the ISS is aging ever so slightly slower.

This theoretically can be taken to the extreme in that orbiting a black hole would cause you to age considerably slower, basically making time travel possible, but only in one direction.

We're talking orbiting at like the event horizon, so good luck with that.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Hyperlynx posted:

E=MC^2 means it's hard to get up to relativistic velocities and the harder you push the more energy you need and it ends up with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

Why are we so lonely? Is it because we suck? No, clearly it is the aliens who are wrong.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

swordfish duelist posted:

If I remember correctly time does slow down relative to earth in orbit, so anyone up in the ISS is aging ever so slightly slower.
That's because of their speed relative to us. There's two effects going on with the ISS - they're further from the earth, which makes time pass slightly faster, and they're whirling about at five miles a second, which makes time pass slower, and the second effect is more powerful.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
It's something like 7milliseconds fast because of height, and 45ms slow because of speed for a net loss of 38ms/day that GPS sats have to be adjusted for.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Chillbro Baggins posted:

It's something like 7milliseconds fast because of height, and 45ms slow because of speed for a net loss of 38ms/day that GPS sats have to be adjusted for.

you're off by an order of magnitude there. gps satellites are faster than us by 38700 nanoseconds, which would be 0.0387 milliseconds.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wait, I thought he said ms?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I'm just amazed that I remembered the numbers (seperately -- after I typed them I did the math and it checked out) from when it came up months ago in the space thread.

Edit: yeah, it's microseconds. Oops. What's the abbreviation for micro?

Chillbro Baggins has a new favorite as of 15:57 on May 4, 2018

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Micro is a mu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

µ