Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Sex Cannon posted:

I finished my first 5 members of House Orlock's wildest gang, the Hulkamaniacs: Randy, KoKo, Terry, D-Von, and Animal.

These bois look like Imperial Fist pre-inductees and I loving love them. What's your yellow, and are these grey primed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Hustlin Floh posted:

These are great, but the skin doesn't look enough like a Slim Jim for true Hulkamania.

I'd have went 4 Horseman, and then had models draw straws on who got to be Ole.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

The Sex Cannon posted:

I finished my first 5 members of House Orlock's wildest gang, the Hulkamaniacs: Randy, KoKo, Terry, D-Von, and Animal.

This continues to inspire. Once I'm done building my Goliaths, I shall paint them up Randy Savage-style in your honor. (Probably gonna stick with Goth Eschers unless I get a better idea.)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Dr. Gargunza posted:

This continues to inspire. Once I'm done building my Goliaths, I shall paint them up Randy Savage-style in your honor. (Probably gonna stick with Goth Eschers unless I get a better idea.)

Roller Derby?

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Schadenboner posted:

These bois look like Imperial Fist pre-inductees and I loving love them. What's your yellow, and are these grey primed?

Primed black.

Yellow is:
Averland Sunset base
Yriel Yellow
Agrax Earthshade
Yriel Yellow (avoiding the nooks and crannies)
Flash Gitz Yellow highlight

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I can't wait to see them!

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Dr. Gargunza posted:

(Probably gonna stick with Goth Eschers unless I get a better idea.)

Luna Vachon

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

So I'm gonna do preshading/zenithal highlighting for my Orks to save myself some brush time and sanity. Does anyone have examples on hand of doing this with vehicles, or is the process just exactly the same?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Having opened my toolbox after a few years and discovering my paints are 95% unsalvageable, I've decided to scrap most of it, cut my losses, and pick up some new stuff.

I'm thinking the Army Painter Master set to split with my roommate:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTXRUUT

And getting a new set of brushes because most of the old ones are caked and weren't great quality to begin with.

Is there a good "getting (re) started" set of brushes I can pick up off of Amazon? Or any other suggestions?

I was looking at these two:

https://www.amazon.com/Virtuoso-15-Piece-Paintbrushes-Handmade-Detail/dp/B01M3PSN8T
https://www.amazon.com/MP-Model-Miniature-Painting-Brush/dp/B00F8HHPDA

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Deviant posted:

Having opened my toolbox after a few years and discovering my paints are 95% unsalvageable, I've decided to scrap most of it, cut my losses, and pick up some new stuff.

I'm thinking the Army Painter Master set to split with my roommate:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTXRUUT

And getting a new set of brushes because most of the old ones are caked and weren't great quality to begin with.

Is there a good "getting (re) started" set of brushes I can pick up off of Amazon? Or any other suggestions?

I was looking at these two:

https://www.amazon.com/Virtuoso-15-Piece-Paintbrushes-Handmade-Detail/dp/B01M3PSN8T
https://www.amazon.com/MP-Model-Miniature-Painting-Brush/dp/B00F8HHPDA

I wouldn't buy the complete paint set - just buy the paints you need and build your collection. Otherwise, you have pots of "Nipple Pink" or "Scrotal Dinge" sitting there, just drying out. Also, if you split a big set, what happens when one of you moves out? Do you lose access to half the paints? Does one of you give up their share? Does one of you pay a pro-rated amount to the other person? Too much hassle.

As for brushes, just pick up a 0, 1, and maybe a 2 W&N Series 7. Don't waste your time with the crappy acrylic brushes that are going to split and fray right away. Get some Masters Brush Cleaner when you get the brushes.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I agree, just build your paints as you need them. You probably want to pick up some sort of basic set to start with, either just a standard set or a selection of colors you know you will need a lot, and then build up from the basic ten paints or so. I have colors that I have had for 20+ years and I have only used a fraction of, because it turns out that Warlock Purple is really not something I use in volume.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

berzerkmonkey posted:

As for brushes, just pick up a 0, 1, and maybe a 2 W&N Series 7. Don't waste your time with the crappy acrylic brushes that are going to split and fray right away. Get some Masters Brush Cleaner when you get the brushes.

Let me just see what one of these will cost m-OH MY GOD.

Am i looking at the right thing here? Because it sure looks like I'm looking at brushes that cost $20 each.

As far as the set, $100 (or $50 from each of us) is right at that point where I'm willing to go "welp, gently caress it" to avoid a trip to the drat store every time i need a new color, but I'll see about a smaller set to get some core colors maybe. Also the roommate is a guy I've known for a decade and I'd just hand $50 if he asked me for it, so that hadn't even crossed my mind.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 19, 2018

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
W&N brushes are really nice and will last forever if you take care of them.

A decent golden taklon brush will cost you about seven bucks a pop and will last maybe a few months before it will inevitably, without question, bend or fray.

You do you, but if you're gonna be spendy on any particular thing for painting, it should be the brush.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

grassy gnoll posted:

W&N brushes are really nice and will last forever if you take care of them.

A decent golden taklon brush will cost you about seven bucks a pop and will last maybe a few months before it will inevitably, without question, bend or fray.

You do you, but if you're gonna be spendy on any particular thing for painting, it should be the brush.

I don't mind spending the money if they're good, but will just having a few round brushes really get me that far? I'm used to using the cheap wal-mart sets.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Anyone done zenithal with metals?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Deviant posted:

I don't mind spending the money if they're good, but will just having a few round brushes really get me that far? I'm used to using the cheap wal-mart sets.

I paint nearly 100% of my stuff with nothing but a W&N #1. A #00 for the tiniest details in crevices where I need a smaller brush to fit in without bumping up against the side. If you're painting tanks or other big things maybe get a #3 or a flat brush or something too.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Deviant posted:

You will be surprised at how much easier it is to paint and how much having a good brush will actually improve your painting.

Booley posted:

I paint nearly 100% of my stuff with nothing but a W&N #1.
This is my go-to as well. My friends freak out when I tell them that I paint 10mm and 6mm with a size 1 brush.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Anyone done zenithal with metals?

Yo sup ask me here or in the slack.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I got a set of Vallejo kolinsky sable brushes from my LGS. I had to snip off a stray hair from two of the brushes, but other than that they're good. My W&N size 0 brush I ended up throwing away because the tip of it forked in half no matter what I tried.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ijyt posted:

I keep on seeing Necrons and think they might be faster to paint than what I am doing. I was thinking about trying zenithal to speed it up even more. What's worked for you? What colors, techniques, etc?

I am thinking of doing a steel zenithal, red glaze, silver drybrush, then two red washes. Use bronze drybrushed with brass and washed with sepia for accent, maybe do a black metal for guns.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Deviant posted:

Like others have said, yeah, pretty much.

Don't get me wrong. Buying a fancy W&N brush isn't going to instantly improve your game. Still, I'd cheap out on paint before I cheaped out on my brush.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Painted this up in about 2 hours tonight. Lots of mistakes since I'm a bit of a rush due to needing it for a DnD game tomorrow but I'm pretty happy with it. It's the Reaper Bones Fire Dragon.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

I paint nearly 100% of my stuff with nothing but a W&N #1. A #00 for the tiniest details in crevices where I need a smaller brush to fit in without bumping up against the side. If you're painting tanks or other big things maybe get a #3 or a flat brush or something too.

Do you use their miniature brush or the normal round? Their size 1 miniature brush looks tiny.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Never use the miniature version. It just has a smaller belly and holds less paint/watee.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Ok, cool that makes sense. What sort of care do you guys use on your W&N brushes?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Pendent posted:

Ok, cool that makes sense. What sort of care do you guys use on your W&N brushes?

Rinse with clean water, wash with Master's Brush Cleaner. Store in a way that doesn't put pressure on the bristles.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Standard stuff then, basically. I already do that but my (cheaper) sable brushes I picked up only made it 6 months or so before they're starting to get a bit beat up and wanted to be sure there wasn't something else I should be doing before spending that much on a single brush.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

dexefiend posted:

Never use the miniature version. It just has a smaller belly and holds less paint/watee.

This cannot possibly be emphasized enough.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

Luminaflare posted:

Painted this up in about 2 hours tonight. Lots of mistakes since I'm a bit of a rush due to needing it for a DnD game tomorrow but I'm pretty happy with it. It's the Reaper Bones Fire Dragon.

This is a good dragon.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

For_Great_Justice posted:

This is a good dragon.

Green Dragons inhabit temperate forests, attack with their chlorine gas breath, and are of Lawful Evil alignment. Sorry for you're lots.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I keep on seeing Necrons and think they might be faster to paint than what I am doing. I was thinking about trying zenithal to speed it up even more. What's worked for you? What colors, techniques, etc?

I am thinking of doing a steel zenithal, red glaze, silver drybrush, then two red washes. Use bronze drybrushed with brass and washed with sepia for accent, maybe do a black metal for guns.

A basecoat of VMA Gun Metal, with a highlight of Steel (or Aluminium if you prefer something brighter) and a lowlight of Black Metal. You can't go wrong with Tamiya Clear paints for tinting, see my word bearer jet bikes for an example.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
At Nova last year I took a class where we had to paint our models with Walmart size 8 brushes. Was surprisingly fun.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
How long do high quality brushes typically last for everyone?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I don't take the best care of them and usually get 2-3000 points out of them. Not necessarily the best measurement, but just saying a number of months doesn't really work either. Kill them faster if I'm painting tanks than painting infantry, and metallics are particularly hard on brushes.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

A WN and the masters brush soap just arrived and I'm hoping for at least the rest of my natural lifespan

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Couple years of good use.

Brush Soap and conditioner will make them last waaaaay longer.

If you don't clean and condition, gently caress all time.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Yeast posted:

Couple years of good use.

Brush Soap and conditioner will make them last waaaaay longer.

If you don't clean and condition, gently caress all time.

Masters brush cleaner is what shows up when I search Amazon for paintbrush conditioner. Is there another product you like?

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Pendent posted:

Masters brush cleaner is what shows up when I search Amazon for paintbrush conditioner. Is there another product you like?

It works as a conditioner as well and I believe is what everyone is referring to (it's what I use)

My W&Ns are going on two years. Some are getting a bit worn, but a few careful snips with the sprue cutters and good conditioning has made them still great. Part of what helps is don't use good brushes for things you don't need to. Slapping base coat on a whole model or most of it? Use whatever.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Pendent posted:

Master's works for 99% of what you need, yeah.

If I've been particularly hard on a brush I'll also sit it in this stuff: http://abteilung502.com/product/magic-potion-for-brushes/

It's great, and cheap.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Finished him up. Think it turned out pretty good once I took the threads advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

ijyt posted:

there's a slack for this thread?