Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
At least have the strength to own up to your weak sauce broke brains:

29m want a better relationship with critical dad 56m but constantly feel like i let him down. any advice?

quote:

u/yepyepyesu
i feel dumb he always calls me crazy and says i need serious help. just an hour ago i explained i wasn't going to see my friend today because i would have to take a lyft/uber and because sits 4/20 and idk the driver i didn't feel safe trusting someone idk with my life.

for the record i suffer from agoraphobia so it's very hard for me in general to leave the house and feel safe normally. i take urbers/lyft when i go out because i don't drive and just seeing how unsafe i feel normally on the road i couldn't imagine how unsafe i would feel today. i didn't want to risk it and decided to stay in and got called crazy for it. i really hate being called crazy because i'm actually extremely smart i just have a mental illness and feel i don't deserve his treatment considering i do a lot for him (his taxes/pay bills online because he doesn't know how/order stuff online for him). still now i feel extremely depressed and like a let down because he constantly reminds me i am (no job tons of student debt) for the record i have never denied my illness and have graduated college summa cum laude (only one in my family to graduate college) yet still he finds a way to make me hate myself weekly.

i want a better relationship with my dad but i'm curious what other people think in this case. i am working on my education still and have plans to make my career a work from home career (which should be possible) but i still have a few more years and i don't know if i can take how critical he is as he makes me mental health worse sometimes as he constantly needs my support and help but whenever he sees I need help i'm "crazy"

tl;dr: dad is very critical and idk if i can handle this living situation anymore. any advice on dealing with him or how to go about forming a better relationship if that's even possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

dudeness posted:

My sister [23/F] threw me a baby shower, but it wasn't the theme I [26/F] asked for at all
When I was 13, my cousin was pregnant, and holding her baby shower. I told my sister that when I had a kid, I wanted her to plan my baby shower. Well, I held her to that. We've been super close throughout our lives, so it seemed like a perfect fit when I got pregnant. She's been really excited about my baby, and has already bought a ton of stuff, and enthusiastically agreed to host and plan the shower.

I enjoy this little detail. Normally when you say you "held someone to it" it means you reminded them of an offer THEY made and ask/insist that they follow through, but that's not the case here. OP's just like "Hey, remember when I said 10 years ago you should plan my babby shower? Well I'm pregnant now, so get to it!"

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Milotic posted:

29m want a better relationship with critical dad 56m but constantly feel like i let him down. any advice?

i mean, driving's not for everyone and honestly more people should prob tap outta doing it, there's a lot of insanely bad drivers on the road so i kinda respect when someone is self-aware enough to know they'd just be a mess at it, like David Sedaris

that said goddamn girl being smart doesn't preclude crazy

also yeah the being scared of even getting a ride on 4/20 thing is pretty heightened paranoia (which is why i imagine she'd be a panicky driver at best)

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Best Diznee song is Zipadip-dipadoo-zipdipdipadoo

I always preferred mogie paw mogie paw mogie mogie mogie.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Palpek posted:

One weird trick on how to destroy your roommate's self-esteem forever:

I (20M) had sex with a girl (19F) at my college. She then posted something very, very strange on her facebook status, comparing me sexually to my friend who she also slept with.
Most frustrating thing about being a guy is you have to have sex with any crazy girl that crosses your path no matter what. Poor guy just having to deal with that now, but as he said she is like totally crazy so he did what he had to.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Khazar-khum posted:

Most of the Disney princesses have two live parents.

Nope. Canon princesses:

Snow White pretty sure they're dead, at least the mom definitely is out of the picture (wicked stepmother). Dad is nowhere to be seen.
Cinderella explicitly shows her father dying and her biological mother is out of the picture as well (wicked stepmother again).
Aurora's parents cast her out for her first 16 years so they might as well be dead.
Ariel's mom is nowhere to be seen.
Belle's mom is nowhere to be seen.
Jasmine's mom is nowhere to be seen.
Pocahontas' mom is dead.
Mulan has living parents. Yay!
Tiana's father is dead, mother is still around at least.
Rapunzel I'll give you, both her real parents are alive.
Merida - both alive

That's 4 out of 11 with two living parents in the picture, with 2 of those parental pairs having had no contact with their daughter between her being a baby and her being a late teen.

Non-canon princesses

Nala maybe? Do we see them at all after their adult return to Pride Rock?
Ana and Elsa's parents are both extremely dead. "They're dying...they're dying...they're dead" was the commentary of my friend's four year-old listening to the Frozen soundtrack in the car when we got to the part where the ship gets swallowed by the storm in the music.
Moana/Vaiana alive.

Still under 50%.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Palpek posted:

One weird trick on how to destroy your roommate's self-esteem forever:

I (20M) had sex with a girl (19F) at my college. She then posted something very, very strange on her facebook status, comparing me sexually to my friend who she also slept with.

I lol'd extremely hard

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Honestly it seems like a recent change that media, especially children's media, has main characters that have both parents alive.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Honestly it seems like a recent change that media, especially children's media, has main characters that have both parents alive.

Next animated Batman show is going to be really lovely

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

StrangersInTheNight posted:

why are people calling it this

the whole movie is CG animated

THE WHOLE. MOVIE. IS. ANIMATED.

the cg models just look more like realistic animals

do people think lions can actually talk and act in front of a loving camera

I just looked and Disney is releasing three goddamn remakes, Dumbo, Aladdin, and The Lion King, in Spring-Summer 2019.

That's just lazy.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Theophany posted:

Gf's [26F] new job brings in 0 income, but leaves her too tired for her regular chores/responsibilities. What to do?

I'm guessing this is some MLM poo poo.

I read this whole thing as this was his wife, and I was like "well that sure sucks, good luck figuring that out". But they're not married, so get out while you can dude! That girl has what seems to be 0 life skills and has definitely been sucked into some MLM scheme (makeup, so I would default guess Mary Kay).

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I thought we already saw that one and it was Arbonn (sp?).

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Ouhei posted:

I read this whole thing as this was his wife, and I was like "well that sure sucks, good luck figuring that out". But they're not married, so get out while you can dude! That girl has what seems to be 0 life skills and has definitely been sucked into some MLM scheme (makeup, so I would default guess Mary Kay).

It's arbonn and in the comments he comes across clueless and she is legit a moron.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

That person should collect some significant part of the wood, something solid like a window or doorframe, and use it to build a Well of Sacrifice, that she might fill the dreams of the Children of the Outer Dark with soothing torment.

This is beautiful.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

La Brea Carpet posted:

It's arbonn and in the comments he comes across clueless and she is legit a moron.

Ah, yeah he doesn't sound like the best either with his whole "coming home to cooked meal and a clean house" business, but that bullshit works for some people.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

Ouhei posted:

Ah, yeah he doesn't sound like the best either with his whole "coming home to cooked meal and a clean house" business, but that bullshit works for some people.

He believed her when she floated the line that "most women buy their makeup from a group of ladies" despite having walked into a grocery or pharmacy sometime in his life.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
What is she doing all day that's so exhausting about selling MLM makeup?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

StrangersInTheNight posted:

why are people calling it this

the whole movie is CG animated

THE WHOLE. MOVIE. IS. ANIMATED.

the cg models just look more like realistic animals

do people think lions can actually talk and act in front of a loving camera

Why not just get trained animals and superimpose human mouths over them? Something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN5PoW7_kdA

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

hanales posted:

I always preferred mogie paw mogie paw mogie mogie mogie.

We can all agree worst song is Zippy Songy Apple Cart Tree

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Do we count Phineas and Ferb among Disney songs, because in that case I could probably spam you with youtube links until I'm needfully banned

Barudak
May 7, 2007

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Not actually selling any

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu1GUiAtR8c

I can truly identify with this song.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

"Networking", ie. giving strangers online the chance to become "their own boss".

Everybody I know that has gotten involved with MLMs is already poor, and then they spend all their money on a money losing venture. Are they really that blind to see that it is costing them money rather than making them money?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

She's probably busting her rear end going door to door instead of just pestering her relatives for pity sales until they cut her off.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Darkhold posted:

Most frustrating thing about being a guy is you have to have sex with any crazy girl that crosses your path no matter what. Poor guy just having to deal with that now, but as he said she is like totally crazy so he did what he had to.

Dudes, especially young dudes, never learn how to refuse sex. They aren't taught, it never shows up in schools. The only time it ever happens that a male TV/movie character has to refuse sex, the offerer is physically repellent and the choice is obvious.

We chalk this up to dudes being horndogs but I bet a fair amount they don't understand their own emotions enough to realize what they're feeling. like, it's easy to go through the motions with a half naked woman cuz it feels good in the moment and isn't as challenging as discussing your feelings and setting boundaries. the idea that sex is risky for men extends to STDs and pregnancy scares, but that's about it.

Beachcomber posted:

This is beautiful.

<3 been having a lot of fun with the V20 re-release, the new Guide to the Black Hand is super fun.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Dudes, especially young dudes, never learn how to refuse sex. They aren't taught, it never shows up in schools. The only time it ever happens that a male TV/movie character has to refuse sex, the offerer is physically repellent and the choice is obvious.

We chalk this up to dudes being horndogs but I bet a fair amount they don't understand their own emotions enough to realize what they're feeling. like, it's easy to go through the motions with a half naked woman cuz it feels good in the moment and isn't as challenging as discussing your feelings and setting boundaries. the idea that sex is risky for men extends to STDs and pregnancy scares, but that's about it.

p much. and everyone in college knows dudes only reject obviously repellent people so if you refuse sex for anything less than the most clearly articulated and objectively amazing reason in the world all hell's gonna break loose so whatever man, just get it over with :shrug:

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Leon Einstein posted:

"Networking", ie. giving strangers online the chance to become "their own boss".

Everybody I know that has gotten involved with MLMs is already poor, and then they spend all their money on a money losing venture. Are they really that blind to see that it is costing them money rather than making them money?

I imagine there's just enough people that are successful with it that people see that and see it as an escape from either their lovely job/career or life situation. People generally just don't think enough about how they're actually going to get to where that successful person that's sucking them into this thing are. The whole pitch is always "I'm just a stay at home mom and if I can do it, anyone can" which ignores the financial and personality/work attitude requirements that you need.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Let's be honest, how many people have actually met someone that is actually successful with a MLM scheme? I've never seen it. People fake success stories all the time though.

Those LuluRoe leggings or whatever they're called are the worst. "I see no problem with buying $2,500 worth of inventory and having to store it in my house while I move about 3 units a month via pity on FB."

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

p much. and everyone in college knows dudes only reject obviously repellent people so if you refuse sex for anything less than the most clearly articulated and objectively amazing reason in the world all hell's gonna break loose so whatever man, just get it over with :shrug:

related but ohhhhh my god straight girls do NOT like getting refused. especially the attractive-and-they-know-it ones. this was an issue earlier in my marriage when my chitinous wife would be gravid with glistening eggs but i would be all "honey we're watching the good british baking show (the lackluster prequel series) could we not right now" and she'd screech like someone farting through a wooden train whistle and try to tear my head off with her chilacerae

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the honeymoon days.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Pick posted:

Wahhhh my mom didn’t hug me enough ——- a guy who now is afraid to call to order a pizza to his poo poo hovel and breathes a sigh of relief he can do it online

Its still embarassing to do this and you have to turn on music when the delivery guy arrives and pretend you have friends over and shout "HEY GUYS PIZZAS HERE" when the guy knocks so he doesnt know youre ordering 2 pizzas for yourself.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Leon Einstein posted:

Let's be honest, how many people have actually met someone that is actually successful with a MLM scheme? I've never seen it. People fake success stories all the time though.

Those LuluRoe leggings or whatever they're called are the worst. "I see no problem with buying $2,500 worth of inventory and having to store it in my house while I move about 3 units a month via pity on FB."

about as many as actual bitcoin millionaires and professional gamblers. if you've got another source of income (like a spouse you can sponge off of) and don't actually keep track of your finances beyond looking at the one time a number went up in your bank account it's apparently real easy to convince yourself you're making money instead of losing huge quantities of it.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Milotic posted:

I (39m) overheard wife (36f) and other women (30s/40s) making utterly inappropriate comments about kid’s swim coach (17m). I don’t want to burn with fire, but what can I do?

Lmfao that this guys first thought is to tattle to the people running the pool

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

La Brea Carpet posted:

I think this is a rare case of both parties being too stupid to be in a relationship with each other.

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

We can all agree worst song is Zippy Songy Apple Cart Tree

I once had to sell my bed for food!

It warms my heart to quote UCB 20 years after the fact. I knew I liked you al borgland Corp.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

about as many as actual bitcoin millionaires and professional gamblers. if you've got another source of income (like a spouse you can sponge off of) and don't actually keep track of your finances beyond looking at the one time a number went up in your bank account it's apparently real easy to convince yourself you're making money instead of losing huge quantities of it.

Short version; MLMs are crack for bored housewives

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

[20M] [19F] of 1 year. Girlfriend mentions a weird church she's joined and wants me to join as well. What is going on here?

quote:

My girlfriend and I have been long distance for 5 months and have been seeing each other maybe twice a month as we live in relatively close towns.

Before we went long distance she was abusing drugs and I told her I wasn't gonna be part of her life if she kept it going, so she enrolled in group meetings as she wasn't so deep into drugs she needed rehab and got better. She seemed clean and was emotionally stable when I visited, which used to be a problem while she was doing drugs.

The past months had been pleasant and we were considering living in the same city, but for the past weeks she's been saying some weird stuff about meeting some girl in school who introduced her to the church she goes to, as well as other people in her college with whom she prays together.

My girlfriend used to go to church but stopped (years before we were together) and said going to church strengthened her will to stop doing drugs, which for me was ideal, but I'm starting to get concerned. She said the other girl told her to not share her beliefs with other Christians around college as they didn't really understand the word of God or whatever.

Now she met this priest man who presides over their prayer group and they are planning to rent homes in the same building so they can be a closer community.

I have very bad feeling some of these people are taking advantage of her being in a vulnerable place after overcoming a near drug addiction and this whole moving close together seems wrong to me. And it escalated way too fas, too. Last time I saw her 3 weeks ago she mentioned the girl and the church but suddenly the priest guy and moving close together. What the hell?

She doesn't want to believe this people might be taking advantage of her, says they want the best and she wants me to come too. I mean, they could but I'm getting the wrong vibe from the things she's told me and want her to stop interacting with them.

What do I do? Am I right overreacting? I haven't met them but friends don't ask to move close to them after a few weeks right??!!

tl;dr: Girlfriend join ed a prayer group as part of overcoming drugs and now she says they want to all move close together in the same building after a few weeks of meeting g her. I have no idea what to do and she doesn't listen when I tell her I have a bad feeling about it. What do I do?

Jehova's Witnesses or cult?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Or?!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I've got an aunt who's a Jehovah's Witness and is pretty decent about it, maybe because they've learned to behave themselves around others, but hard to say at times. If that one A/T thread is any indication, there's a scary amount of overlap between drug rehab clinics and cult recruitment centres.

A JW funeral is a surprisingly uplifting thing, compared to what I've sat through. I think my aunt considers me a possible convert, but I'm just polite and mildly superstitious. (she also gave me ideas on my interpretation of Peter Pan as being... even more hosed up than the original text, basically)

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Plenty of people who go through AA or whatever replace their drug addiction with a Jesus addiction and aren't really any more pleasant to have in your life.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

hanales posted:

I knew I liked you al borgland Corp.

Just because he shined Walt’s rear end for change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

SpazmasterX posted:

And neither one is "Can You Feel The Love Tonight"

In college I made out with a girl while watching the Lion King. In my head I know the movie didn’t really matter and it would have happened no matter what we watched, but I still feel a little weird that it was during the stampede scene.