Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Oxyclean posted:

If not: I want to get a desk chair home - I was told it should fit in the back of a sedan, I'm wondering if Ubers would be okay with something like this - Has anyone done something like this? I don't want to piss some driver off or get stuck with no way to get this thing home. (Some searching pointed to UberCargo, but it doesn't seem to be an option in my app/city?)
People using Uber to get their groceries home is very normal, your uber driver will be fine with a chair. If you want to be sure, call the driver and ask them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've used taxis in the UK to help me with home moves. Only thing they don't do is help you with the boxes, so I was stacking them in the black cab myself. The driver was fine with it, he was being paid to sit parked outside my house whilst I loaded up for ten minutes, and then got paid for the drive, and again for the unload. He was even happy to do a second trip with me.

So yeah, I'm pretty sure an uber is fine with your chair purchase. Just whop it in the back, they might even put it in for you to prevent it scratching anything.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

Is there a thread for ridesharing questions?

If not: I want to get a desk chair home - I was told it should fit in the back of a sedan, I'm wondering if Ubers would be okay with something like this - Has anyone done something like this? I don't want to piss some driver off or get stuck with no way to get this thing home. (Some searching pointed to UberCargo, but it doesn't seem to be an option in my app/city?)

I have absolutely piled various Ubers full of boxes and all sorts of other weird poo poo for work, generally a 10-20 cash tip works wonders

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

ChairMaster posted:

Also not every song that's ever existed will be presented to even a tiny fraction of those 8 billion people. There's a shitload of songs that I've never heard in my life, countless published works, and untold numbers of songs that have ever been created that were never published in any capacity.

I used to wonder: if a radio station played every published song exactly once, would it ever be finished? Or are musical albums being published at a rate greater than they can be played at normal speed? I suppose the definition of "published" is a bit murkier these days.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Is there a drug which can reliably induce clinical depression?

I tried looking it up, but there are just warnings for widely varying drugs that might induce depression or insomnia or headache or rash or nothing at all. I'm curious because 1. Such a drug might help understand the biochemistry of depression and 2. The withdrawal symptoms from that drug would be Totally Awesome.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
does spotify have ads?

Phyzzle posted:

I tried looking it up, but there are just warnings for widely varying drugs that might induce depression or insomnia or headache or rash or nothing at all. I'm curious because 1. Such a drug might help understand the biochemistry of depression and 2. The withdrawal symptoms from that drug would be Totally Awesome.

There has been some research that suggests ketamine helps a lot and some states in the US already have ketamine clinics that will dose you with it

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Are there any recipes where a "dash" (1/16 teaspoon) of something actually has an effect? Recipes for tiny portions are cheating

revolther
May 27, 2008
Bitters is used in dashes all over bartending to very noticable effect. It can make or break some cocktails, and all bitters have unique tastes so one is wildly different than another. Have a bartender make you a soda water or two with different bitters. For inventory purposes a dash is considered .02 oz

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Are there any recipes where a "dash" (1/16 teaspoon) of something actually has an effect? Recipes for tiny portions are cheating

Sure, saffron is noticeable even in pinch quantities.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

revolther posted:

Bitters is used in dashes all over bartending to very noticable effect. It can make or break some cocktails, and all bitters have unique tastes so one is wildly different than another. Have a bartender make you a soda water or two with different bitters. For inventory purposes a dash is considered .02 oz

A single drink is absolutely a tiny portion compared to most cooking, like a dash of bitters isn’t going to be noticeable in a punchbowl.

I will throw a small amount of cayenne pepper into chicken noodle soup, like a half teaspoon in maybe a 2 gallon pot. It doesn’t add a noticeable spiciness, but it does add a noticeable flavor.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The famous dash of salt isn't so much about adding a salty flavor, but it's for salt's magical ability to enhance other flavors

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I put just a dash of semen in your dinner.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Phyzzle posted:

Several cannabinoid antagonists (ie drugs designed to be anti-weed) were developed as weight loss drugs. While they did make people lose weight without any changes to diet or exercise they also made people depressed and want to kill themselves.

People who take MDMA often become extremely depressed in the following days.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

How much would a person have to weigh in order to stand permanently atop a mixture of corn starch and water?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

What is prune juice? How can you get juice from something that's dried?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Jeb! Repetition posted:

they're dried but still contain water. my guess is it's squeezed out. but prune juice is meant to help digestion due to it's high fibre content. so maybe the prunes are just blended up with water or something.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Prune Juice is just boiled blended prunes

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Pretty sure it's made by stewing them. The laxative effect isn't due to fiber.

E: Just looked it up real quick. The laxative effect is due to high sorbitol content. Anyone who's eaten too much diabetic candy in one sitting can attest to the effects of too much sugar alcohol.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 20, 2018

revolther
May 27, 2008

bongwizzard posted:

A single drink is absolutely a tiny portion compared to most cooking, like a dash of bitters isn’t going to be noticeable in a punchbowl.

I will throw a small amount of cayenne pepper into chicken noodle soup, like a half teaspoon in maybe a 2 gallon pot. It doesn’t add a noticeable spiciness, but it does add a noticeable flavor.
A dash of bitters is absolutely detectable in a punch bowl, bitters is alcoholic, typically about 40% abv and incredibly floral to boot.

It takes a special kind of broken palette not to taste trace amounts of alcohol in anything.

Booze isn't like peppers or other flavors, even minute inconsequential amounts still pass through your cell walls like a phantom and tickle your brain. You may not taste it, but a keen friend of Bill W's would.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

does spotify have ads?

Yes

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Doorknob Slobber posted:

does spotify have ads?

Buy a premium account to get rid of ads, and a family account is an excellent way to share the cost. Canada its $10/month for a single account, $15/month for a family account with up to 5 members who live at the same address.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I'm in the U.S. I got a letter that I was summoned to jury duty. I was supposed to fill out an online survey within ten days of receiving the letter, but I didn't get this part until today (20-ish days after the letter was sent). The last time I was summoned for jury duty, there was no online survey, I just had to call in and see if the trial was happening, which it did not. What do I do?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Q8ee posted:

Just whatever you do, don't use hyperbole. I swear a vast majority of users on this forum can't comprehend it and take it at face value.

I read this and I literally shat your pants in sheer rage.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

revolther posted:

A dash of bitters is absolutely detectable in a punch bowl, bitters is alcoholic, typically about 40% abv and incredibly floral to boot.

It takes a special kind of broken palette not to taste trace amounts of alcohol in anything.

I completely disagree, there’s no way anyone is going to taste a dash of bitters diluted in multiple gallons of water.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

HappyKitty posted:

How much would a person have to weigh in order to stand permanently atop a mixture of corn starch and water?

The short version is - it varies.

I'm assuming when you say "a mixture of corn starch and water", you are talking about a non-newtonian fluid which acts like a liquid when standing still and a solid when force is applied. Most people get to see this in school at least once and it's easy enough to do at home. When I saw it in school, my teacher called it "oobleck" from the Dr. Seuss story, so that's going to be what I call it.

So, you want to know at what point could you put a person onto this oobleck and have it remain solid without having to constantly apply force*. I'm not smart enough to even google this correctly, because there are several factors that would alter the answer. Weight of the person or object, volume of oobleck (which depends on the size and shape of the container), and density of oobleck (which would be a factor of the ratio of cornstarch to water) are all going to factor in, as it the surface area of the weight being applied. A person weighing 150 pounds standing on their on two feet is going to sink and probably quickly, regardless of other factors. That same person standing on a 4ft square of wood is going to sink slower. If the container is taller than it is wide, the speed is going to be different than if it's wider than tall.

Again, someone smarter than me could work out a formula to give you a specific answer, if you know all the other factors. But as far as I'm aware, there is no single right answer to this question

*That last bit is important because if you keep your feet moving, you can stay on top of a tub of oobleck indefinitely.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

HappyKitty posted:

Try the Astronomy & Physics questions/general discussion thread in SAL.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

was playing frisbee at the park, whiffed a catch and the frisbee slammed into my outstretched middle finger. it hurt real bad and became really stiff and sore. been a day since, and the swelling has gotten worse and so has the bruising, and I can't fully close my middle finger, it just jams and hurts if I try to. I figured I just sprained it and it's no big deal, but now I'm thinking I may have fractured it. when I look at it straight-on, there's a little bump at the knuckle that makes it look a tad lopsided, but I can't tell if it's just swelling or not.

doc's office opens up on Monday and I plan on going then to check on it, but is there any rush in sorting out a fracture or will I be alright waiting a couple days? I'd feel like an idiot if leaving it for a few days potentially makes the healing process worse, but I can't be arsed going to A&E and spending hours waiting just to find out it's a sprain.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Q8ee posted:

was playing frisbee at the park, whiffed a catch and the frisbee slammed into my outstretched middle finger. it hurt real bad and became really stiff and sore. been a day since, and the swelling has gotten worse and so has the bruising, and I can't fully close my middle finger, it just jams and hurts if I try to. I figured I just sprained it and it's no big deal, but now I'm thinking I may have fractured it. when I look at it straight-on, there's a little bump at the knuckle that makes it look a tad lopsided, but I can't tell if it's just swelling or not.

doc's office opens up on Monday and I plan on going then to check on it, but is there any rush in sorting out a fracture or will I be alright waiting a couple days? I'd feel like an idiot if leaving it for a few days potentially makes the healing process worse, but I can't be arsed going to A&E and spending hours waiting just to find out it's a sprain.

Personally, I'd just use surgical tape and tape it to the finger next to it to keep it straight.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

spog posted:

Personally, I'd just use surgical tape and tape it to the finger next to it to keep it straight.

Get a finger splint and tape it into that, even better if you get a two finger one and include your ring finger. Give it a couple weeks.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

How do you make your Twitter notifications back how they used to be where they only showed things you were involved in and not just some of your friends happening to like the same post

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Jeb! Repetition posted:

How do you make your Twitter notifications back how they used to be where they only showed things you were involved in and not just some of your friends happening to like the same post

Well it's quite simple John, first you wire up the flux capacitor...

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Here's a weird one, I tried googling this but got nothing:

I was just called out by an older gentleman for leaning my bar chair against the bar while I took a piss. Supposedly, this is offensive to military/ex-military people Because Reasons? Supposedly been a thing since the Civil War?

This was the forth thing he deigned to bitch my ear off of the night (the bar, the bartender, and something on the TV), so my response was something along the lines of "I can't even bother to figure how little a poo poo I give over someone offended at that", but I'm curious what this guy was griping about.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

Here's a weird one, I tried googling this but got nothing:

I was just called out by an older gentleman for leaning my bar chair against the bar while I took a piss. Supposedly, this is offensive to military/ex-military people Because Reasons? Supposedly been a thing since the Civil War?

This was the forth thing he deigned to bitch my ear off of the night (the bar, the bartender, and something on the TV), so my response was something along the lines of "I can't even bother to figure how little a poo poo I give over someone offended at that", but I'm curious what this guy was griping about.

The stool is for his dead homies, also he's drinking and a vet so be polite (srsly)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Unless it’s an army mess or something it’s a bit silly to be upset that someone doesn’t know the intricacies of every subculture’s drinking rituals. Dude was drunk though, so... :shrug:

revolther
May 27, 2008
This is the bartenders job really. I do this all the time to old shits and creeps. "Hey, Hey! America, and this bar, isn't for just one rear end in a top hat, it's for everyone! You don't own poo poo, your name isn't on the building! So leave X alone or gently caress off!" Is the usual script.

Not his seat, not his chair, gently caress you buddy I know my rights is the only appropriate answer.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Nah, he wasn't really drunk as far as I could tell. The only tell that he could've been was that he seemed awful grumpy compared to every other time I've interacted with him, though, even before I committed any chair-related sin.

He burned any potential sympathy or extra respect by making GBS threads on my bartender, though, so it's not like I'm going to abide by his seat-leaning request in the future.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 22, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

revolther posted:

A lemon, lime and bitters is sold as a non-alcoholic drink because it's below 1.15% ABV. A bowl of punch with a dash of bitters in it is going to be even lower than that (much lower - more like 0.03%). There's no way you could taste that.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I'm going to clean the gutters on a friends house tomorrow, just a normal house and my dumb rear end picking out the gunk.

Is there anything i should know? Got gloves, will be careful.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
It will smell worse than you think.

Take a big ladder so you can see what you're doing and maybe a lightweight broom or similar so you aren't moving the aforementioned ladder every 2 mins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
How should I be storing certain vegetables after I buy them? For example, celery, mushrooms, peppers etc. I keep the peppers in the fridge after I cut them but the celery or mushrooms I just keep outside the fridge, is that not correct?