Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Hey it's the same alert siren

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

That title music is amazing

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Hey this TV's border completely changed between shots

when your space livestream goes from 480p to 1080p

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

An officer just called another officer a "walking freezer unit" because she didn't immediately gently caress him when he gave her a god-awful pickup line

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

ESP is scientific

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

:stare:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This guy seems to have been hit with energy that made him a genius just like Barclay

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

he gained the superpower of killing himself instantly

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Jeb! Repetition posted:

ESP is scientific

It sorta was in the 60s. They hadn't quite figured out it was bullshit yet.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I knew Spock was gonna suggest killing the galaxy brain

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I'm actually getting absorbed by this conflict

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Come on now what did Kirk think he was gonna do with that sci fi rifle

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh god Shatner's acting is distracting me

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Huh, showing stills of future episodes to uh... entice me

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Well that was a little better than I expected even if the third act with the fight kind of dragged

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Jeb if you had watched a DS9 episode you could have made a whole dollar from your patreon just now

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Well that was a little better than I expected even if the third act with the fight kind of dragged

Yeah idk why people think TOS is unwatchable, it's very dated in some ways but it does great old-school one-off sci-fi allegory like no other

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Oh god Shatner's acting is distracting me

Star Trek: Oh God Shatner's acting is distracting me

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Fallout 5 looking good

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Huh, showing stills of future episodes to uh... entice me

That's actually a shot from a previous episode... which you'll see in a future episode!

:aaaaa:

I actually really enjoyed Part 1 of "The Menagerie" in my current (very slow) watchthrough. By this point, viewers would have had enough of an idea who Spock was that it must have been a real mindfuck to see him to go around sabotaging everything and committing treason.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 15 minutes!
The penalty for going to illusion planet is death because it's ability to conjure fantasies is an existential threat to the federation.

70 years later: Hey everyone check out these holodeck!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I'm actually getting absorbed by this conflict

TOS has some great highs and entertaining lows. This one isn't really either, but it sets the stage well enough. I'm hoping many of the others also pleasantly surprise you, and I can't wait for you to get to both those and the really bad ones.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

The penalty for going to illusion planet is death because it's ability to conjure fantasies is an existential threat to the federation.

The idea of a human, with all their frailties, gaining godlike power without equally godlike morality is existentially terrifying

100 years later: A capricious godlike being doesn't give a gently caress and it's hilarious

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Jeb!, I have no right to tell you what you should watch. But considering you just watched and screencapped some stuff from TOS, maybe you should dive right into Move Along Home on DS9?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Watching Where No Man Has Gone Before. A vessel that's been missing for over two centuries? It better not be something they sent to space in the 60s with a frozen modern day human inside

Important thing to keep in mind about TOS, especially first season TOS, is that a lot of the background trivia hadn't been firmly established yet. Depending on who was writing the episode, TOS was set as little as two hundred years in the future or as much as nine hundred years in the future.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Jeb!, I have no right to tell you what you should watch. But considering you just watched and screencapped some stuff from TOS, maybe you should dive right into Move Along Home on DS9?

Watch TV for free, like some peasant?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I miss old matte backgrounds like this.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Leonard Nimoy's face is yellow as gently caress

its supposed to be that way in all the shots, but guy in charge of the color transfer didn't talk to the makeup department, and fixed it in post

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

TOS is fantastic, I never understood why people hate it but I also loving looooove camp so

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

shovelbum posted:

Yeah idk why people think TOS is unwatchable, it's very dated in some ways but it does great old-school one-off sci-fi allegory like no other

I've not heard it called "unwatchable" much. Season 3 is pretty rough though. It usually remains entertaining on a basic level, but they definitely get into a few ruts when they've run out of good ideas.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The idea of a human, with all their frailties, gaining godlike power without equally godlike morality is existentially terrifying

100 years later: A capricious godlike being doesn't give a gently caress and it's hilarious

By comparison to Gary, Q was incredibly moral, even before getting spanked by the Continuum. He never actually just outright killed anyone, or blew up a ship, or permanently altered someone without getting their consent in some manner first. He did put them in danger at times, particularly in Q Who, he did put them on trial and force them to account for themselves and prove themselves worthy of existence, he did have pig-men stab them with bayonets...but not permanently.

Gary just straight up killed people and wanted to kill everyone and turned whatsername into another mutant and so forth. For no reason, other than 'well, I can now, and I feel like it', even before he knew Spock had convinced Kirk to mutiny him (in case he did all that stuff).

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

TBF, even in "The Cage" they talk about weaponizing it to make people push the wrong buttons and blow up the ship. Subtle uses, like tricorder readings, are the most dangerous. (And the cheapest to show.)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Where No Man Has Gone Before is a classic, and despite its rough edges (being the 2nd pilot episode), it holds up well.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
James "Rough Edges" Kirk.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
The moral of Star Trek is that absolute power corrupts absolutely, and probably in under 10 minutes.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
TOS as a whole is a good show, definitely not unwatchable. Some individual episodes are unwatchable, though. Actually probably just The Alternative Factor.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

EimiYoshikawa posted:

By comparison to Gary, Q was incredibly moral, even before getting spanked by the Continuum. He never actually just outright killed anyone, or blew up a ship, or permanently altered someone without getting their consent in some manner first. He did put them in danger at times, particularly in Q Who, he did put them on trial and force them to account for themselves and prove themselves worthy of existence, he did have pig-men stab them with bayonets...but not permanently.

Gary just straight up killed people and wanted to kill everyone and turned whatsername into another mutant and so forth. For no reason, other than 'well, I can now, and I feel like it', even before he knew Spock had convinced Kirk to mutiny him (in case he did all that stuff).

I don't think Gary actually turned her, I think it just took her longer to turn because her ESP score wasn't as high.

GOD WHY DOES THIS poo poo STICK IN MY BRAIN

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

After The War posted:

I actually really enjoyed Part 1 of "The Menagerie" in my current (very slow) watchthrough. By this point, viewers would have had enough of an idea who Spock was that it must have been a real mindfuck to see him to go around sabotaging everything and committing treason.

Luckily treason, sabotage, and mutiny are okay if you explain later you were helping out a bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's Star Trek tradition that you can basically get away with breaking whatever rules and orders you want if you think it's The Right Thing To Do.