Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Radio Free Kobold posted:

The forced lance comp would definitely result in some kind of meta. Which role for each weight bracket becomes most chosen and which mech best fits that role. If that's your intent then definitely forced lance comp.

We have been chatting on discord and we have decided stock only for the first tournament. I like the idea of bracket limits but it might be easier to be less restrictive. Say just 1 Assault and let the C-Bill limit do the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Xotl posted:

You're projecting your dislikes into the main reasons that the game went downhill. Things like removing miniatures from the basic (4th edition) box set (which caused sales of them to plummet) and bleeding out via a series of hideously expensive lawsuits, then dividing the IP to other companies as a way of paying for those suits were all much more relevant than people having hard time looking up charts or finding Far Country or other novels (which you could buy in mainstream bookstores, which helped push the brand to a wider public) a tad goofy.

I can appreciate wanting to defend the game, but what I posted was verbatim the consensus opinion from a whole circle of about a half-dozen friends in the early to mid 'Naughts who really wanted to get into BTech, but we all got put off by the incredibly long play times in the end. All the other things didn't help either (those lawsuits and sales absolutely gutted FASA) but the game would've held on better had it been easier to play or gotten a "third ed" like you and others talk about.

The game as it has existed really is just too paperwork-heavy for the huge majority of folks who want to play, especially in anything like a more competitive setting. Which is why the game discussed ITT has me really excited because it will help with a lot of that. :)

(and let's be real, it's even stealthily the Third Edition the game's needed :v: )

Xotl posted:

To return to our 40K comparisons, BT is stuck in a realm like 40K 2nd edition, having never taken the turn to the streamlining of 3rd edition and beyond. There was something to be said for having models hallucinating and on fire stumbling across the battlefield while rolling on datafax damage tables, but ultimately I think 40K is better off for having jettisoned most of that when it did.

All this being said, I do kind of miss the days of your space elves being on fire, and also insane, and also turning into demons on particularly bad good rolls of the dice.

For as much as it causes rules fuckery, I actually do rather like the several levels of rules that BTech has - where you can make things more complicated if you want to, but the books and whatnot are adamant that this should be voluntary.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah I hate to break it to you guys but 16 is the new 8 when it comes to memory these days and has been for a hot minute. Luckily sticks are pretty drat cheap.

E: Or at least I thought it was, checking Newegg whats with those inflated prices. Christ. I could have sworn when I built my PC about 18 months ago my 2 8gb sticks were like 80 bucks.

E2: 600 loving dollars for a 1070 I paid 300 for mine what is going on :psyduck:

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 20, 2018

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

wiegieman posted:

They'd be exterminated or enslaved by one of the aggressive, expansionist powers of humanity.

Ha ha what? Are you on drugs? If a faction of humanity tries that to a comparable civilization, it would be so hosed. We would be exterminated then, if we're unlucky enough. Maybe they would show mercy though and just destroy most of our industrial capacity, so it would just be Tuesday for most of the Battletech Universe.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Axetrain posted:

Yeah I hate to break it to you guys but 16 is the new 8 when it comes to memory these days and has been for a hot minute. Luckily sticks are pretty drat cheap.

E: Or at least I thought it was, checking Newegg whats with those inflated prices. Christ. I could have sworn when I built my PC about 18 months ago my 2 8gb sticks were like 80 bucks.

E2: 600 loving dollars for a 1070 I paid 300 for mine what is going on :psyduck:

I know the GPU prices are because of retards buying them all up to mine bitcoins but I dunno what's going on with RAM prices. It's enough that whenever I think of upgrading I go "haha nah 8 is still fine"

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, I'm due for a new GPU, but I'm holding off until Bitcoin finishes imploding. 1080 Ti's have been over 1k for quite a while now.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Soundtrack is up for preorder.

I love the music I've heard so far.

https://joneverist.bandcamp.com/album/battletech-original-soundtrack

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh my. A Firestarter with 6 small lasers is going to do 165 damage for only 30 heat. I am going to shoot-punch so many Mech butts.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

isildur posted:

The amount of poo poo I've had thrown at me over this. Uggggh. Still, I've had NB people contact me to thank me for it; one of those is worth a hundred angry KotakuInAction posters.

People have described us as 'triple-I' which i think is pretty great. :)

It's a really good thing for you to include. I want HBS to double down on it, too, include a small host of the Xir and Hir kind of pronouns. But that should probably be easily moddable.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Axetrain posted:

Bitcoin has been a glorious boon to the manufacturers and a loving scourge for anyone interested in building a new computer. :(

I have 16 gigs, happily, but I would not want to try to build a new computer right now.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, I'm due for a new GPU, but I'm holding off until Bitcoin finishes imploding. 1080 Ti's have been over 1k for quite a while now.

Every time I see the prices on them now I thank my lucky stars I bought my 3 fan Aorus Ti the first day they were in stock on Newegg. I didn't TECHNICALLY need to upgrade right then, but it was one of those "I have the money NOW, and when I 'need' to upgrade later, who knows if I'll have the cash to spare?" situations. Then this bitcoin poo poo happens and :lol: being an early adopter meant NOT being price gouged for once.

gently caress, I am so ready for this game to come out. It's hitting on a week where there's relatively little on my plate, so I can get neck deep in that poo poo. I've been waiting for another Battletech universe strategy game longer than my entire adult life, so it's about loving time.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Skippy McPants posted:

Sweet christ, and I thought I was ripping myself off buying one for $800 nine months ago. :psypop:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Rocketpriest posted:

gently caress, I am so ready for this game to come out. It's hitting on a week where there's relatively little on my plate, so I can get neck deep in that poo poo. I've been waiting for another Battletech universe strategy game longer than my entire adult life, so it's about loving time.

I have wanted a BTech strategy game literally my entire adult life. I am Ready For This.

Also, a question: company tags can be imported (so I should get on making an emblem for the [something] Heavy Horse :v:) but how about character portraits? How does that work, are portraits separate ala the Shadowrun games or is it generated with wider chargen in-game?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SpaceDrake posted:

I have wanted a BTech strategy game literally my entire adult life. I am Ready For This.

Also, a question: company tags can be imported (so I should get on making an emblem for the [something] Heavy Horse :v:) but how about character portraits? How does that work, are portraits separate ala the Shadowrun games or is it generated with wider chargen in-game?

I also desperately want to know this

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

It was doable in the beta. I don't know about now. I can try and do the same thing I did then (when I get my hands on the game) and will report back.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Good lord I didn't know prices had gone haywire. Thank god I built my PC when prices were sane. I just checked my rig cost on PCpartpicker and it's gone from 1100 when I bought it to 1700 now :stare:. That's nuts.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

SpaceDrake posted:

Xarbala posted:

I also desperately want to know this

You have a bunch of preset portraits to start, and they're fully customizable - here's streamer ChristopherOdd doing it at the start of his run.
Dunno about importing your own image or whatever, but it seems like that'll be easily moddable, like a lot of the game appears to be.

Axetrain posted:

Good lord I didn't know prices had gone haywire. Thank god I built my PC when prices were sane. I just checked my rig cost on PCpartpicker and it's gone from 1100 when I bought it to 1700 now :stare:. That's nuts.

Yeah, I had a quick look and even the cheapest 2x8gb DDR4 is AU$250+. Even my clunky 1050ti is AU$325, up from AU$250 just over a year ago :stare:

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 20, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

there's a free robot for anyone who logs into MWO until May 1. I think they're at a good place at the moment, so I hope the HBS btech does good things for them.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Wow, I'm surprised, they kept the Uriel pretty close to it's Battletech design.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

One thing MWO consistently kicks rear end at is updating mech designs. Alexander Iglesias deserves a good chunk of credit for helping BattleTech to not look like something that just fell outta the mid-1980s.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Axetrain posted:

When people say that bitcoin is a scourge, they mean it. The effect it's had on PC hardware prices over the past year and a half has been devastating and has absolutely screwed people out of building their own PCs. It's now much cheaper to buy a factory-made prebuilt than to build your own PC :barf:

Coucho Marx posted:

You have a bunch of preset portraits to start, and they're fully customizable - here's streamer ChristopherOdd doing it at the start of his run.
Dunno about importing your own image or whatever, but it seems like that'll be easily moddable, like a lot of the game appears to be.

OK, neat, that's a lot of options (and reminds me of EVE a bit). I'll be curious to see if totally unique portraits are possible for campaign mode, though.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Regarding the previous pages of Battletech TT issues - didn't Alpha Strike fix some of the problems?
I say this waiting for the new printing to replace my current copies as I still haven't had a game of AS to test out how much faster the game plays.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The problem with Alpha Strike is that it goes too far in the other direction. It simplifies the individual Mechs to such a degree it really only works when you're fielding a rather large number of Mechs.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Alpha Strike can be fun if you're using it to throw whole battalions at each other: it's helped by piggybacking on the established BT universe so that your army of highly disposable robots has more flavour to it than the rules mechanics themselves would give you if it was just a generic wargame. It's fast and easy, but it has a few major flaws:

1) Three range brackets only, with short being incredibly ultra short and long being pretty much useless because the range penalties and #2 means you'll never hit anything, which means everybody pretty much rushes to medium range and slugs it out. The classic Clan range advantage doesn't really exist.
2) Said slugging factor not being helped by a unit gets its full movement-based defensive modifier for just not standing still. So, moving even just 1" count as sprinting as far as you can. Units often hole up in trees and scootch around just enough to add their movement bonus, making it very turrety at times.
3) All-or-nothing hit pattern actually makes high-speed units incredibly annoying. Whether you have one gun or 20 in BT, in AS you have one attack stat, which you roll once to hit for. So trying to hit a guy that can put up a +3 or higher innate defense bonus means that even your guy that in regular BT has a zillion guns (and thus more chances to hit via sheer number of attacks) misses just as often as someone with one gun. And if you hit those little buggers, all your excess damage is overkill. The flipside to this is that at least light units are often worthwhile in a way they aren't in regular BT.
4) Attempts to model the critical hit system because it's a core element of BT, but the firepower vs. survivability ratio is so skewed in favour of firepower that it almost never comes into play in any significant fashion.

Good players can mitigate some of the above, and overall it's better than I make it sound (I'm highlighting the main flaws; I actually like to play it with large unit numbers), but it needs some work to be first-class. Hopefully the new one-book edition being released some time this year fixes some of this.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 20, 2018

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Re: Spider Chat: The Spider also makes for a decent tank hunter in HBS:BT. Regular vehicles take double melee damage (I believe) so a Spider moves ridiculously fast and goomba stomps tanks like a 60-tonner, with the added option for Death From Above.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Character portraits are 3d generated for dynamic ones, but from what little I saw on streams, certain characters might still have hand-painted portraits, so there's presumably support to override the 3d generator and put your own in.

Not for the player character, probably, but for dynamic MechWarriors.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Sky Shadowing posted:

Character portraits are 3d generated for dynamic ones, but from what little I saw on streams, certain characters might still have hand-painted portraits, so there's presumably support to override the 3d generator and put your own in.

Not for the player character, probably, but for dynamic MechWarriors.

I hope that custom characters can be modded in, the best thing about XCom was having your idiot friends panic and shoot each other. The feature in xcom 2 where you could precreate all your characters and have them show up randomly was also great.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Libluini posted:

The Battletech Universe always makes me wonder what would happen if mankind makes contact with an alien civilization who didn't waste all their resources on giant robots and killing each other.

It would probably not be pretty.

This is sort of like the Fading Suns universe. They have my favourite aliens who aside from being immesarubly powerful militarily now gently caress with humanity in clever ways such as "gifts" of coordinates to their equvalent of lostech which causes humans fight over them like rabid dogs. I really like that they are not just "ion cannon +10" but bring humanity down without doing anything.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hey guys, hey.

It's 4/20!

:siren:Which means we're 4 days away from release!:siren:

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Xotl posted:

Useful stuff.

#2 and #3 are a little bothersome, yeah.
But if it means I can give the local 40k players a look at something that lets me fight a company vs company battle, putting more minis on the table, then I guess it's worth eating the trade off. Especially if I can hope it gets fixed with the upcoming BRB.

I really enjoy CBT as it stands, but it's tricky to get people interested, especially if they see/hear about the slow pace and amount of record sheet shenanigans and modifiers and such. To me all that stuff isn't such a big deal as I can burn through the quick reference sheet in seconds to figure out the numbers, rolls, results, etc, but most of them are used to 40k and loving 8th (which is surprisingly simple in some ways), which can make it a difficult sell.
Even Infinity players sometimes give it a raised eyebrow.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Man I remember the WoB mechs looking cool but looking at them now and yikes. I guess the big one and the battle armor are ok

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The Chad Jihad posted:

Man I remember the WoB mechs looking cool but looking at them now and yikes. I guess the big one and the battle armor are ok

Plz post them for the lazy itt AKA me

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Q_res posted:

The problem with Alpha Strike is that it goes too far in the other direction. It simplifies the individual Mechs to such a degree it really only works when you're fielding a rather large number of Mechs.

This is kind of a problem with Battletech in general in my opinion.

The thing that makes Battletech cool and interesting and worth playing at all is that it's absurdly detailed and crunchy and just sort of nonsense. There might be a streamlined sweet spot, but I suspect that you can't do much that won't just end up putting it in competition against better and more interesting tabletop games. I guess I've just kind of made peace with the fact that TT Battletech isn't something I can really play anymore, but that I'm also really happy exists.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Zaodai posted:

You can kill yourself from overheat in MWO too. Or at least you could when I played way back when.

Related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTlXw2qGB2w

Also, I'm officially hyped. Time for my alt in MWO, Major Plothole Kerensky to make a comeback.

Post your names/callsigns ITT!

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Mordja posted:

Plz post them for the lazy itt AKA me

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Category:Word_of_Blake_BattleMechs

But probably mostly these:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Celestial_series

And who could forget this homeboy

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Gestalt

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Axetrain posted:

Gobblecoque posted:

I know the GPU prices are because of retards buying them all up to mine bitcoins but I dunno what's going on with RAM prices. It's enough that whenever I think of upgrading I go "haha nah 8 is still fine"

DRAM manufacturers are a de facto cartel because there's so few of them. They've been fined for price fixing in the past. That was 10 years ago; they must be getting greedy again.

There also might be coupling to the NAND flash market since some of the companies make both. I don't know if they're made in the same fabs, but they would compete for upgrade funds internally.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Paradoxish posted:

There might be a streamlined sweet spot, but I suspect that you can't do much that won't just end up putting it in competition against better and more interesting tabletop games.

Reducing the overall number of weapons fielded helps a lot, I find.

After the current mission in my LP thread I'm gearing up to publicly playtest a shake-up that makes all of the laser weapons significantly heavier (and hotter (and slightly higher-damage)), while giving missile weapons much less ammo to work with (so they have to buy more ammo as opposed to just buying extra launchers). It's essentially BattleTech balanced around the Autocannon/5 rather than the current iteration which is balanced around the Medium Laser.

It's been an interesting experience just from the design perspective, and I'm really hoping it plays "live" as well as it has in my private tests. The only downside is it can't really be ported to MegaMEK because I've changed the way LRMs function in an effort to limit the number of dice rolls.

LRMs are much more interesting when they stop being 5/10/15/20-tube launchers and become 1/2/4/6-tube launchers (and fire big 5-damage missiles).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

sebmojo posted:

there's a free robot for anyone who logs into MWO until May 1. I think they're at a good place at the moment, so I hope the HBS btech does good things for them.

At the risk of things diving too far into MWO chat: I just reinstalled for the first time since that update that changed how skills work, and I got 91 free slots or whatever on my HBK-4G. I filled all 91 slots with stuff. Then after a few matches with it, I've got enough XP to be able to unlock some more... but apparently I can only have 91 total filled skill slots? I'm able to purchase others, but then I go over this weird slot limit, and I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing because PGI can't design a functional UI to save their lives.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I probably shouldn't but I kind of like the Gestalt. It would definitely be more at home in Warhammer though.

Woof, those Celestial mechs are really hard to look at. Literally, all of their angles and greebles are causing me eye-strain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

https://twitter.com/beaglerush/status/987338534691287040

It's happening