Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

McNally posted:

I don't think Gary actually turned her, I think it just took her longer to turn because her ESP score wasn't as high.

GOD WHY DOES THIS poo poo STICK IN MY BRAIN

Ahem I believe you mean her esper rating, please get these important scientific measurements right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

McNally posted:

I don't think Gary actually turned her, I think it just took her longer to turn because her ESP score wasn't as high.

GOD WHY DOES THIS poo poo STICK IN MY BRAIN

Hm, it always seemed as if he was responsible for her going mutant, but that may just be my perception of what happened. I've only actually seen the episode, like, three times, they never showed it in the rotation on tv when I was a kid.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nah, it was the barrier. They both get blasted when they go through.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

No, Dehner was zapped with the same thing as Gary in the Galactic Barrier. Because her "esper rating" was lower than his, though, it took longer for her to start showing the effects (conveniently, right around the time that Gary decided that he was a god).

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

MikeJF posted:

It's Star Trek tradition that you can basically get away with breaking whatever rules and orders you want if you think it's The Right Thing To Do.

Admiral Pressman's only crime was not preparing a good convincing speech on why his crimes were the Right Thing To Do because Romulans are bad

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
No, I always got that, that she got zapped too, I just always interpreted it as he got enough of a zap/had a high enough ESP(er) rating to change, while she didn't without additional zapping/mutantry-inducing on his part to get her to change as well.

Not that he caused it from 0 to 100, but that she wouldn't have changed if it wasn't for him.

I accept that I may have misunderstandinged, though (but maintain that it's an understandable one).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

quote:

DEHNER: Yes, it just took a little longer for it to happen to me.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Pakled posted:

TOS as a whole is a good show, definitely not unwatchable. Some individual episodes are unwatchable, though. Actually probably just The Alternative Factor.

I always said that The Omega Glory was pretty bad but my friend Dayton argues that 'And The Children Shall Lead' is the objectively worst episode.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I hate any episode of anything where children are all that remains/weirdly powerful

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

8one6 posted:

I always said that The Omega Glory was pretty bad but my friend Dayton argues that 'And The Children Shall Lead' is the objectively worst episode.

It's this. I can even muscle through the Alternative Factor, and Omega Glory at least has a great deranged starship captain, whatever you think of the piledriver of its blatant message. But those child actors....

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Omega Glory is jaw dropping nonsense but I find it entertaining. It’s energetic enough to paper over its staggering inadequacies, kind of like Spock’s Brain. Children Shall Lead is also jaw dropping nonsense but also boring twenty minutes of plot stretched out to an hour, like a lot of third season eps but more so.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

MikeJF posted:

It's Star Trek tradition that you can basically get away with breaking whatever rules and orders you want if you think it's The Right Thing To Do.

Unless its letting a planet full of sentient beings die because that's the natural order of things.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I personally loathe Turnabout Intruder more. Women can't be starship captains, silly, they're too emotional and it's not worth even promoting them in the command ranks because they'll meet a nice man, get pregnant, and retire to be a stay at home mom.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I still want to know how exactly proto-Vulcans can even be a thing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sash! posted:

The Chase

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

It's this. I can even muscle through the Alternative Factor, and Omega Glory at least has a great deranged starship captain, whatever you think of the piledriver of its blatant message. But those child actors....

Any time there's a deranged Starfleet captain, I'm on board 100%

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cythereal posted:

I personally loathe Turnabout Intruder more. Women can't be starship captains, silly, they're too emotional and it's not worth even promoting them in the command ranks because they'll meet a nice man, get pregnant, and retire to be a stay at home mom.

At least Turnabout Intruder has Shatner turned all the way up to 11.

Now, The Lights of Zetar, there's a mind-numbingly dull slog.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Sash! posted:

Makes about as much sense as regular Vulcans when you think about it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cythereal posted:

That latter part is from the ep where they meet Apollo. Turnabout Intruder is the one where any woman who even wants to command is obviously deranged.

That said I did appreciate that one of Spock's arguments at the trial was "what do you mean possession is far-fetched, we've seen weirder poo poo than this on a regular basis"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

One of my favorite happy accidents in Trek is that the silver contact lenses that Gary Lockwood had to wear were so physically painful and blinding that the only way he could see anything was to angle his head up high and look down -- which inadvertently gave Mitchell that otherworldly, eerie, "holy poo poo this is hosed" appearance.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

That actually sounds horrible and dangerous

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

VitalSigns posted:

That actually sounds horrible and dangerous

LeVar Burton was walking into walls and doors because he couldn't see poo poo through the VISOR, in addition to the prop being horribly painful when it was redesigned because they screwed it into his temples to fasten it. Horrible and dangerous is kind of a thing with Trek :v:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Good news everyone, someone discovered that a potent and sensitive explosive is also a semiconductor. There's hope yet for Starfleet consoles.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Good news everyone, someone discovered that a potent and sensitive explosive is also a semiconductor. There's hope yet for Starfleet consoles.

But who's gonna fill em with rocks and debris and crap?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

...also if we surround it with rocks, it acts as shielding against cosmic rays. Just any kind of rocks. No, we don't know why yet

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

After The War posted:

James "Rough Edges" Kirk.

the R stands for retcon

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/987427709407191041

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arglebargle III posted:

The in-setting justification is that it's the electro-plasma system conduit powering the console that explodes - these are the EPS conduits that occasionally get mentioned in treknobabble and distribute power throughout the ship. So... an actual explosive material is probably still safer.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There's an episode where Captain Kirk has a fistfight with Leonardo Da Vinci and Johannes Brahms, who are the same person.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Arglebargle III posted:

Let me tell you about the glory of Kapton, a wire casing which is thin, lightweight, and a good insulator.

Until it gets damaged, which is when it becomes insanely combustible. Starfleet must be still using it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Let me tell you about the glory of Kapton, a wire casing which is thin, lightweight, and a good insulator.

Until it gets damaged, which is when it becomes insanely combustible. Starfleet must be still using it.

They are, but as an added safety measure, they surround all of their wires with one pound of stones per linear foot. The stones are fireproof because, well, they're stones. Stones won't burn like the wire casing will. All it takes is a thick slathering of specially prepared powdered mucilage that's been soaked in nitroglycerin to get the chunks of stone to adhere to the wires, and you have all you need to avoid spontaneous console combustion.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I really wish Star Trek: Into Darkness had been a retelling of Gary Mitchell's fabulous magic powers. Benedict Cumberbatch would've made a much better Gary Mitchell than a white and nerdy Khan. I don't know how you would tie it into 9-11 though.

The bit about the contacts forcing the actor to look up is great (and terrifying). That posture makes it look like he no longer needs his eyes to see! Much better than Charlie X and his constipated stare.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Orville finally delivered on my vision of the future when the first officer replicated a weed brownie.

Full High Gay Space Communism Now

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Watching The Naked Time

Great use of an environmental protection suit

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This was accompanied by a zoom in and dramatic music but this is only like the fourth episode so how do we know what they've dealt with before

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

SPOCK JUST SAID SPACE MADNESS

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Watching The Naked Time

Great use of an environmental protection suit

captain, though i have smelt it i am now reasonably certain that it was not i who dealt it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

This was accompanied by a zoom in and dramatic music but this is only like the fourth episode so how do we know what they've dealt with before

It's life, Jim, but not as we know it, not as we know it, not as we know it...

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

A planet dying in the background as they deal with space madness is an artistic idea, hope they do it justice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Now, The Lights of Zetar, there's a mind-numbingly dull slog.

Insert joke here about it being the episode where the name "Memory Alpha" was taken from to christen the premiere Trek wiki.