Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zuul the Cat posted:

Finished him up. Think it turned out pretty good once I took the threads advice.

I like it, but the feather seems really washed out. Is that the lighting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Zuul the Cat posted:

Finished him up. Think it turned out pretty good once I took the threads advice.

That looks way better. I would be inclined to darken the blue a bit and add some orange in the recesses of the feather to add a bit of definition there but this is good.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It’s the lighting. The base is pretty orange and fades up to yellow. I’ll try to get a better picture of it.

I added some purple to the tilt shield as well. The yellow needed a contrasting color.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

1 down, 59 to go

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

panascope posted:

1 down, 59 to go

Dude that base is cool.

Here’s a better shot of the feather.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
OK, how matte is Windsor & Newton Matte Spray in relation to Testors Dull-Cote? I really like the finish of Dull-Cote, but the tiny, "single serving" cans piss me off mightily, and I'm looking for an equivalent alternative.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

why is everyone out of vallejo glaze medium

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

S.J. posted:

Are you kidding? That stuff's delicious.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Thanqol posted:

Are you kidding? That stuff's delicious.

my distributors are out, which is annoying

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ilor posted:

OK, how matte is Windsor & Newton Matte Spray in relation to Testors Dull-Cote? I really like the finish of Dull-Cote, but the tiny, "single serving" cans piss me off mightily, and I'm looking for an equivalent alternative.

I airbrush Liquitex Matte and it has a similar result to Dullcote.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Zuul the Cat posted:

Dude that base is cool.

Thanks! I did Golden Crackle Paste, then airbrushed Jokaero Orange, then Fire Dragon Bright, then gloss varnished it, then an oil wash, then a drybrush of Ryza Rust, then terra-cotta and iron oxide pigments.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I reckon it's actually done. Not super pleased with the base but not bad for a first attempt at something more than a 28mm dipped in sand.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
That looks sweet.

The base seems fine, just.... unfinished? Slap some dark brown all over it, then drybrush it up with lighter browns up to a bone color. Be careful around the feet, the skulls, and rock.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

DirtyRobot posted:

That looks sweet.

The base seems fine, just.... unfinished? Slap some dark brown all over it, then drybrush it up with lighter browns up to a bone color. Be careful around the feet, the skulls, and rock.

I based it in VMC pale sand, then gave it a burnt umber oil wash, drybrushed some pale sand again then hit it with a light drybrush of VMC ivory.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

S.J. posted:

Same reason they're out of Matte Black. Vallejo has some sort of crazy distribution model or export restrictions or something.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Zuul the Cat posted:

Here’s a better shot of the feather.

Nice! My only suggestion would be to consider putting a few thin diagonal lines of ivory or pale sand on the body of the feather, maybe a streak along the center. That should help it look a bit more feathery and light. (I dig that purple on the tilt shield, too.)

fake edit: my phone insists on autocorrecting "help" to "hemp," so at least something in my immediate vicinity has a sense of humor this morning :420smokeweederryday:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Some guy on Lead Adventure Forum took a pair of Sentinel legs and a serum vial:

and made a badass "Wastelands Walker":

More photos and other stuff on his blog.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I reckon it's actually done. Not super pleased with the base but not bad for a first attempt at something more than a 28mm dipped in sand.

I agree on the base being the weak point here.throw a dark brown on, a sloppy dark wash, then drybrush it with a light brown/tan.

The weird thing is at scale, sand doesn't really look quite right as sand/dirt. Gotta paint that poo poo

Looking awesome regardless!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

berzerkmonkey posted:

and made a badass "Wastelands Walker":

Where's Sancho Panza though?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

dexefiend posted:

Never use the miniature version. It just has a smaller belly and holds less paint/watee.

https://www.amazon.com/Winsor-Newton-Kolinsky-Miniature-Watercolor/dp/B000OL5L7C

Is this the right thing? It's the only result for Series 7. I was gonna get a 0, 1, and 2 as recommended.

Also none of my drat local stores seem to have W&N brushes in stock, is that normal? I'd rather just go pick them up, but I checked two spots and nothing.

Edit: it appears to be the wrong thing.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 20, 2018

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Deviant posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Winsor-Newton-Kolinsky-Miniature-Watercolor/dp/B000OL5L7C

Is this the right thing? It's the only result for Series 7. I was gonna get a 0, 1, and 2 as recommended.

Nope - those are the miniature brushes. This is what you want: Link

I'd be wary of Amazon, because you don't know for sure if those sellers are selling legit W&N brushes.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Deviant posted:

Also none of my drat local stores seem to have W&N brushes in stock, is that normal? I'd rather just go pick them up, but I checked two spots and nothing.

Edit: it appears to be the wrong thing.

Don't bother with the miniature ones, the shorter bristles just mean the belly of the brush holds less paint and it'll get into the ferrule and ruin the brush faster. You want the normal-sized ones; their points are just as sharp.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

berzerkmonkey posted:

Nope - those are the miniature brushes. This is what you want: Link

I'd be wary of Amazon, because you don't know for sure if those sellers are selling legit W&N brushes.

If you can show me a brick and mortar in Orlando, FL that has them, I will eat my hat. Everyone has W&N paints, but not brushes.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

I agree on the base being the weak point here.throw a dark brown on, a sloppy dark wash, then drybrush it with a light brown/tan.

The weird thing is at scale, sand doesn't really look quite right as sand/dirt. Gotta paint that poo poo

Looking awesome regardless!

I'll keep it in mind! I honestly didn't know what I was going for when I did the base. I guess a kind of sandy base? I did order some more colours and I got some black lava so I'll have to give that a try on the next base.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Where's Sancho Panza though?

On Lead Adventure, he's working on a large mule-looking robot thing. Sancho might be up next.

Deviant posted:

If you can show me a brick and mortar in Orlando, FL that has them, I will eat my hat. Everyone has W&N paints, but not brushes.
That's why I posted a link to an online retailer. Just order from Blick and wait a few days.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

berzerkmonkey posted:

On Lead Adventure, he's working on a large mule-looking robot thing. Sancho might be up next.

That's why I posted a link to an online retailer. Just order from Blick and wait a few days.

You fail to realize how spoiled I have become by Amazon Prime, but okay. Hrmph.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Deviant posted:

You fail to realize how spoiled I have become by Amazon Prime, but okay. Hrmph.

Nope - I'm there with you (and probably most people as well,) but sometime you have to step out of the Amazon zone and wait 5-7 days for a package.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I buy my WN brushes from Amazon.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Cross-posting from the 40K thread because I'm a scared and alone and need encouragement.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Welp, after years of digging the books and video games and lurking the various 40k and painting threads, I finally did a thing.

Not pictured: a few paints on backorder from The War Store, namely Linen White and Tanned Flesh, as well as some magnets, pin vice, primer and brushes.

The name of the game was economy, because Mrs. Bad Guy knows how expensive this hobby can get, so I'm going to try to get creative with my shading and highlighting. A few of the paints are a bit darker than I expected from the website, but hey, live and learn. I'm not trying to win any awards for my first try at painting miniatures.

The long (long) term goal is to build up a fieldable army of World Eaters, but for now I'm content to try my hand at miniature painting. Like I said, I've been lurking here and in the painting threads, watching videos and trying to learn what I can before taking the plunge. I'm going to try to carve out a chunk of tomorrow to get started.

oh God I'm such a loving nerd

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Finished mk2*

A lot more pleased with the base now. Was able to really muddy up the feet too with the liberal sloshing of devlan mud.

*I forgot I didn't repaint the rim after taking the pictures gently caress it.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Cross-posting from the 40K thread because I'm a scared and alone and need encouragement.

That's awesome! Great choice on the reaper paints, if I was going back in time I would have started with different ones than citadel since these days I have a mixed collection anyway. You'll learn a ton by mixing paints and seeing how they darken/desaturate or the opposite.

My biggest advice is to be content with "sacrificing" a model to be a test mini. You don't have to get anything right with the first try, and people (including me) psych themselves out when they worry about whether a model will look right with the unit later.

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 20, 2018

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Booyah- posted:

That's awesome! Great choice on the reaper paints, if I was going back in time I would have started with different ones that citadel since these days I have a mixed collection anyway. You'll learn a ton by mixing paints and seeing how they darken/desaturate or the opposite.

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I made my little most-recommended paints list for: helping people find good paints that aren't just Citadel (Citadel is usually more expensive and GW never stops loving around with the line, which gets frustrating when your favorite paint is discontinued).

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Avenging Dentist posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I made my little most-recommended paints list for: helping people find good paints that aren't just Citadel (Citadel is usually more expensive and GW never stops loving around with the line, which gets frustrating when your favorite paint is discontinued).

That's such a good list, I've referred to it many times.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I've only ever based minis with texture paint/dry brush, never anything fancy. Now I'm building a Dunecrawler and want it's base to pop a bit, so I'm prepping some decorations to see how well they go together.

To that end, I painted a wee little skull last night. The thing is adorably small.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Poor Yorick.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Find ways to hide dongs on your bases.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

S.J. posted:

They all thought it was blaze medium. :420:

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DiHK posted:

They all thought it was blaze medium. :420:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

And now we know how at least one of the Lost Primarchs got that way?