Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Daniel Dennett posted:

Right and wrong, however, are parts of morality, a peculiar phenomenon that can’t predate a
certain set of concepts, including the concepts of right and wrong. The phenomenon is created in
part by the arrival on the scene of a certain set of concepts. It is not that animals just haven’t
noticed that they are doing things that are evil and good. Lacking the concept, they are not doing
anything right or wrong; there isn’t any evil or good in their world. It’s only once you get in a
certain conceptual environment that the phenomenon of right and wrong, the phenomenon of
morality, exists at all.
Now, I take Jaynes to be making a similarly exciting and striking move with regard to
consciousness. To put it really somewhat paradoxically, you can’t have consciousness until you
have the concept of consciousness. In fact he has a more subtle theory than that, but that’s the
basic shape of the move.
These aren’t the only two phenomena, morality and consciousness, that work this way.
Another one that Jaynes mentions is history, and at first one thinks. “Here’s another use-mention
error!” At one point in the book Jaynes suggests that history was invented or discovered just a few
years before Herodotus, and one starts to object that of course there was history long before there
were historians, but then one realizes that in a sense Jaynes is right. Is there a history of lions and
antelopes? Just as many years have passed for them as for us, and things have happened to them,
but it is very different. Their passage of time has not been conditioned by their recognition of the
transition, it has not been conditioned and tuned and modulated by any reflective consideration of
that very process. So history itself, our having histories, is in part a function of our recognizing
that very fact. Other phenomena in this category are obvious: you can’t have baseball before you
have the concept of baseball, you can t have money before you have the concept of money.

I think Dennett's inquiry into Bicameralism basically explains what Bakker is getting at. However badly he is at providing a coherent and interesting narrative framework to explore the ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

skasion posted:

I don’t know if it’s really all in the payoff, but building to “Kellhus wins lol” is less cathartic to me than “Kellhus hubristically doomed civilization and died like a bitch lol” though I imagine some people might disagree.

Even nihilism and plot twists have to be set up somehow. No author really gets to turn "Psyche! you thought you were reading utopic upbeat sci-fi, but now it's '120 Days of Sodom' in Space!" on a dime.

It amuses me how Black Library's Night Lords trilogy is as unpretentions as it gets (it -knows- it's pulp), but they pull something akin to this off FAR more gracefully. Almost no one is good or even redeemable, but the characters feel real and their empty tragedies, big and small, have meaning to the narrative, even if not to the cold unfeeling universe.

And the twist at the ending was delightful in its "Holy poo poo, I don't know f this makes things better or even more grim."

So yeah, all in all glad to be done with Bakker. Hopes, as they say, was a mistake.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I read too much Bakker along with fan theories. It's all extremely dumb.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The original No-God was the Anasurimbor prince who got buried alive and then mailed off to the Consult, right? The time frame seems to line up roughly and it seems like you need the Anasurimbor gene-seed or whatever to run the No-God’s box. But on the other hand, I thought the guy was secretly Seswatha’s kid. If that’s true then I don’t know how it would work at all.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

skasion posted:

The original No-God was the Anasurimbor prince who got buried alive and then mailed off to the Consult, right? The time frame seems to line up roughly and it seems like you need the Anasurimbor gene-seed or whatever to run the No-God’s box. But on the other hand, I thought the guy was secretly Seswatha’s kid. If that’s true then I don’t know how it would work at all.

:speculate:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

skasion posted:

Yeah all of this is correct I believe. The original Anasurimbor dude being probably Seswatha’s kid doesn’t really fit with what we know about how the No-God works and there isn’t any clear explanation.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Would’ve been the perfect payoff to Achamian’s dreams to reveal how the No-God is made just in time for Achamian to fail to stop it. Waste of a good plot thread. Bonus points if it involved the Judging Eye and Mimara’s baby.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

General Battuta posted:

Waste of a good plot thread.

That's basically The Second Apocalypse in capsule form.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m about 3/4 through the first book and I’m having trouble keeping track of anything other than Archamian. Probably has something to do with how I read books. Can someone gimme some cliff notes on what is going on?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

I’m about 3/4 through the first book and I’m having trouble keeping track of anything other than Archamian. Probably has something to do with how I read books. Can someone gimme some cliff notes on what is going on?

I bounced off the first book completely on a first read, so it's not just you. These books are kind of imposing at first, but pretty easy to follow most of the time once you get a handle on them. The main plot of the first trilogy is just a fantasy version of the First Crusade. The Inrithi are the Christians, the Shriah is the Pope, the Fanim are the Muslims, the Nansur are Byzantines, the Scylvendi are Seljuks/somewhat anachronistic Mongols. Two thousand years before all this went down however, there was a gigantically hosed up magic apocalypse to a good ways to the north that almost wiped out human civilization. That's what the prologue was about, and is also what Achamian keeps dreaming about because his order of sorcerers was founded to prevent the recurrence of it. Kellhus' distant ancestors were kings in the north before they got wrapped up in this. Of unclear relevance to all this stuff are the Dunyain, who you can think of as sort of like the Bene Gesserit from Dune, or actually even more like the Bene Tleilax: a secretive sect of complete psychos with insane ambition for the human race, mysterious fancy skills (though not magic), and collective hard-on for planning way ahead. Kellhus is with them, and so was his father before him, and so on, stretching back to the kid from the prologue.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That helps a little thanks

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

skasion posted:

I bounced off the first book completely on a first read, so it's not just you. These books are kind of imposing at first, but pretty easy to follow most of the time once you get a handle on them. The main plot of the first trilogy is just a fantasy version of the First Crusade. The Inrithi are the Christians, the Shriah is the Pope, the Fanim are the Muslims, the Nansur are Byzantines, the Scylvendi are Seljuks/somewhat anachronistic Mongols. Two thousand years before all this went down however, there was a gigantically hosed up magic apocalypse to a good ways to the north that almost wiped out human civilization. That's what the prologue was about, and is also what Achamian keeps dreaming about because his order of sorcerers was founded to prevent the recurrence of it. Kellhus' distant ancestors were kings in the north before they got wrapped up in this. Of unclear relevance to all this stuff are the Dunyain, who you can think of as sort of like the Bene Gesserit from Dune, or actually even more like the Bene Tleilax: a secretive sect of complete psychos with insane ambition for the human race, mysterious fancy skills (though not magic), and collective hard-on for planning way ahead. Kellhus is with them, and so was his father before him, and so on, stretching back to the kid from the prologue.

You forgot the most important:

This is all written very badly.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

You forgot the most important:

This is all written very badly.

It’s no Malazan.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm reading Ferdinand Braudel's The Mediterranean and his vision of the immense labours that made civilization thrive across the sea is much more engaging and existentially harrowing than Bakker's nihilism.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I'm reading Ferdinand Braudel's The Mediterranean and his vision of the immense labours that made civilization thrive across the sea is much more engaging and existentially harrowing than Bakker's nihilism.

Never heard of it, but it sounds cool. I will give it a try as soon as I finish what I am currently reading, a genuinely really terrible trilogy by one NK Jemisin. It’s like Bakker if he were a teenage girl.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

But does it have a formerly good man eating/loving a livem radioactive, agonising leper that used to be his friend, on a journey to achieve nothing?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sephyr posted:

But does it have a formerly good man eating/loving a livem radioactive, agonising leper that used to be his friend, on a journey to achieve nothing?

Don’t forget the cunny-liking dragon

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

The slog of slogs was still genuinely great but everything after was bad.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

skasion posted:

Don’t forget the cunny-liking dragon

Like I ever could. It was like a finely-crafted literary kick to my junk.

"Hey, this actually has some stakes and motion to it. Badly injured megawitch against evil dragon! Achamian facing off against a crabby dragon was also the high point of the other b...oh wait, it's ruined."

It even gets solved off-camera, for added pointlesness.

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

Sephyr posted:

Which book in the series is that one? Is that the one that makes a point about the poop smell? I haven't done a reread in a while, and I don't feel like hate-reading the last book.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

skasion posted:

I will give it a try as soon as I finish what I am currently reading, a genuinely really terrible trilogy by one NK Jemisin. It’s like Bakker if he were a teenage girl.

Ah, I know that: It's called Her Entire Oeuvre.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
The truest slog of slogs is any Esmenet chapter in the latter trilogy.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006
"Which book in the series is that one?"

The Unholy Consult.

Poor Proyas....:(

"I will give it a try as soon as I finish what I am currently reading, a genuinely really terrible trilogy by one NK Jemisin. It’s like Bakker if he were a teenage girl."

Is that the Inheritance Trilogy? I heard not good things about that. Broken Earth, OTOH, is said to be amazing.

Pleiades fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 20, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The reports are inaccurate.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It’s Fifth Season etc. They are unmitigatedly pretentious crap with some of the worst-chosen and most obnoxiously incessant fantasy swear words I have ever read.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

skasion posted:

It’s Fifth Season etc. They are unmitigatedly pretentious crap with some of the worst-chosen and most obnoxiously incessant fantasy swear words I have ever read.

Yes. Fooled me with the first one, which had actually an okay narrative structure, but the second was just garbage.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

skasion posted:

Oh god please share. I consider myself quite the connoisseur of fantasy swears.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006
Can we talk about loving radioactive people again? I think that's more fun.

And I think Saubon would have been more fitting than Sibuwal.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Pleiades posted:

Can we talk about loving radioactive people again? I think that's more fun.

And I think Saubon would have been more fitting than Sibuwal.

I was totally onboard with the ordeal loving and eating each other except:

a) Licking the pus from a radioactive lepers sores is about seven steps too far into edgelord territory

b) There are no actual consequences to it, and it seems the cure for sranc-meat-induced rapeyness is just to...rape and eat a bunch of people. And then you're fine.

It's the most adolescent part of the series - he wants to have all sorts of terrible atrocities, but he's unwilling to actually deal with the consequences of them. He also dangles the cannibalism in front of the reader for ages, and then we're supposed to act surprised when they start eating each other, even though gnawing on sranc with a visible erection is A-OK!

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006
"he's unwilling to actually deal with the consequences of them."

Unless, of course, it's Proyas. He didn't seem to have a problem with making HIM pay. :salt: :argh:

Beyond that, you're right. I don't recall anyone else facing the consequences. Not even radiation sickness as they were eating radioactive people.

Pleiades fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 21, 2018

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pleiades posted:

Beyond that, you're right. I don't recall anyone else facing the consequences. Not even radiation sickness as they were eating radioactive people.

Don't think that is how it works.

The last two books really show what a good editor can do for you. Mostly the cannibalism goes on for far too long. The idea that he split the book so he could put more of that in there is mind-boggling.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

genericnick posted:

Don't think that is how it works.

That is, in fact, how it works. Radiation knocks neutrons and protons out of the neucleus, and formerly stable atoms become radioactive as they decay further. It’s why water that was used to cool reactors isn’t safe to dump into rivers.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

That is, in fact, how it works. Radiation knocks neutrons and protons out of the neucleus, and formerly stable atoms become radioactive as they decay further. It’s why water that was used to cool reactors isn’t safe to dump into rivers.

I'm pretty sure the dosis you get from being downwind when the nuke goes off is quite a bit more intense then what you'd find in the human body after a few days. Also most of the activation of other material is caused by neutrons and I doubt you really have to worry about that much if the target is still walking.
Edit: What I'm saying is that eating radiation Lepers is mostly a long term health risk.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 21, 2018

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

The true greatness of Bakker will be realized once WWIII hits.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

genericnick posted:

I'm pretty sure the dosis you get from being downwind when the nuke goes off is quite a bit more intense then what you'd find in the human body after a few days. Also most of the activation of other material is caused by neutrons and I doubt you really have to worry about that much if the target is still walking.
Edit: What I'm saying is that eating radiation Lepers is mostly a long term health risk.

Yeah it's a story, so you're always going to be disappointed if you dig deep enough. My point was basically, I agree with the original poster: Bakker missed a plot beat in not making radiation poisoning contaigous. It would have made it even more horrific (and seriously, the reality of radiation poisoning is loving horrific).

My friend who made a ton of money in the '90s as an asbestos remover literally can't be buried in a normal grave, or even be cremated through conventional means. He has breathed so much of it, according to the law his corpse will be classified a biohazard, and must be disposed of by the federal government in a place like Yucca mountain. He made $80k a year for five straight years in his twenties though, so, worth it!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

b) There are no actual consequences to it, and it seems the cure for sranc-meat-induced rapeyness is just to...rape and eat a bunch of people. And then you're fine.

It's the most adolescent part of the series - he wants to have all sorts of terrible atrocities, but he's unwilling to actually deal with the consequences of them.

I mean, on the one hand, this is a series where a major foundational premise is that Hell is Actually Real and is infinitely more horrible than anything you could ever imagine, and everyone who took part in that atrocity is almost certainly now going there if they weren't already, so there's that for consequences and for not being fine.

On the other hand, you probably meant that Bakker mostly doesn't write the characters meaningfully confronting it instead of going 'welp, mistakes were made, back to the whole conquering Golgotterath thing.' Which, yeah, you have a point.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I feel he missed a lot of plot beats in the last two books. The whole cannibalism thing starting with eating Sranc didn't really go anywhere much. Or rather it went everywhere but never arrived.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

JerryLee posted:

On the other hand, you probably meant that Bakker mostly doesn't write the characters meaningfully confronting it instead of going 'welp, mistakes were made, back to the whole conquering Golgotterath thing.' Which, yeah, you have a point.

Exactly this. Kelhus arrives, there's some ritual sacrifice, everything goes back to normal, book is forever known as "that one with the radioactive leper rape".

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

Cardiac posted:

The true greatness of Bakker will be realized once WWIII hits.

This speaks to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006

JerryLee posted:

I mean, on the one hand, this is a series where a major foundational premise is that Hell is Actually Real and is infinitely more horrible than anything you could ever imagine, and everyone who took part in that atrocity is almost certainly now going there if they weren't already, so there's that for consequences and for not being fine.

Actually, IIRC, the vast majority of the Ordeal is damned, even those who chose not to participate. And I suspect that some of them were damned long before the Gay Cannibal Holocaust because it's all too easy to be damned on that world. Even Serwe is said to be there.