Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Basebf555 posted:

Oh yea, absolutely. It's just that white people age 50-75 have decided that they want to watch the same kind of t.v. until they die, and aren't interested in anything that messes with the formula.

Those darn whites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

mysterious frankie posted:

Those darn whites.

We really are the worst.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

The things you would say make a procedural or sitcom good turn off old white people though. At least the ones in my family. Ongoing storylines that require remembering what happened earlier in the season? Hell no that's just confusing. Unanswered, but tantalizing questions left unanswered? Well hell, if you weren't gonna give the answer then don't waste my time in the first place! Themes that make me question my own worldview? That's offensive and I will write a letter of complaint to the network.

I have no idea how The Good Place is getting a third season on NBC.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Sir Kodiak posted:

They're just talking about shows that appeal to old people. Serialized shows appeal to Millennials.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sir Kodiak posted:

different and less dumb channel. whereas CBS is actively trying to chase the elderly by making all their shows absolute tripe, NBC has realized this isn't a good long-run strategy and is chasing critical acclaim and streaming views instead. so The Good Place gets to survive even though its ratings are absolute poo poo on live TV, because critics absolutely love it and it's doing really, really well on streaming.

another thing NBC is doing is co-producing a lot of their shows with streaming sites. Good Place is a Netflix co-production and is a Netflix Original everywhere outside the US and Canada. Hannibal was an Amazon co-production and is Amazon Prime-exclusive here in the US (and may similarly be an Amazon Original outside the US/Canada). this means that a lot of the financial risk is off NBC's back.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

so today I learned that CBS made American Vandal

which means that presumably all their network shows are deliberately awful, because they're perfectly goddamn capable of making good TV when it's not airing over-the-air (as evidenced by this and Trek: Discovery)

Didn’t CBS also make Person of Interest, which was solid at worst and absolutely fantastic when it was really going for it?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Didn’t CBS also make Person of Interest, which was solid at worst and absolutely fantastic when it was really going for it?

Person of Interest had the involvement of a Nolan brother and J.J. Abrams, which may explain why it had a little more freedom to take risks. Also Jim Caviezel is like a hero of white evangelicals so maybe they thought they had carte blanche to do whatever, I dunno. There's always an exception.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Person of Interest's purely procedural seasons are watchable but they're not what anyone remembers the show for.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Basebf555 posted:

We really are the worst.

I hate when they clog up social spaces endless kvetching about how evil white people are, like there's a real world D&D Players Handbook & it has a +2 Being Just The Worst racial modifer for whites, then some other white person who isn't half as clever as he thinks he is exacerbates the situation by either playing devil's advocate or using sarcasm. It's like, guy one, if you want to wear a hair shirt for penance do it literally instead of figuratively, because endless complaining to show your contrition just makes everyone else suffer; and guy two, on the timeline of your life you are way closer to a prostate exam than high school, so maybe it's time to stop acting like you're still siting in the back of the class...

hng

...I think I blacked out there for a second. Man, the second season of Preacher is good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

a foolish pianist posted:

Isn't that pretty much her entire career?

Someone has clearly never seen Henry Fool, Fay Grim, or Ned Rifle.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

precision posted:

All of which rule.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I just realized I’ve watched 60+ episodes of Terrace House over the last month and half. They go by so fast my wife and I are like lets watch one more. Aloha State is by far the weakest series (season) on Netflix, but the other 2 are great.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

precision posted:

Fair. Should have said half her career.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

K. Waste posted:

All of which rule.

I love that Hal Hartley, unlike most 90s indie filmmakers, wasn't afraid to call himself on his own bullshit

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Starting Wild Wild Country. Interesting story so far but they need to chill the gently caress out with the sound effects.

(City name comes up on screen)
WHOOOSH

(Someone’s name comes up on screen)
SCRIBBLING PEN NOISES

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Steve Yun posted:

Starting Wild Wild Country. Interesting story so far but they need to chill the gently caress out with the sound effects.

(City name comes up on screen)
WHOOOSH

(Someone’s name comes up on screen)
SCRIBBLING PEN NOISES

I don't even recall the sound effects.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
That's a really strange thing to be annoyed about.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I strongly dislike all the gimmicky things documentaries do like that to make things seem more immediate or exciting or pad out the limited amount of factual evidence they have, but then I don't generally watch documentaries.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mystes posted:

I strongly dislike all the gimmicky things documentaries do like that to make things seem more immediate or exciting or pad out the limited amount of factual evidence they have, but then I don't generally watch documentaries.

I wasn’t big on them, but now that I have HBO I’ve been watching a lot of documentaries. Their selection is fantastic.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

GOAT is up on Amazon. It's quite good if not sort of depressing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tale of Tales is so loving weird and awesome.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Tale of Tales is so loving weird and awesome.

It really is. It's gorgeous too. Everyone needs to watch it.

Also lmao that new av slaps

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Haha everyone seems relieved I got rid of my old av.

Yeah I want to know the locations where it was filmed. they look incredible.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

veni veni veni posted:

Haha everyone seems relieved I got rid of my old av.

Yeah I want to know the locations where it was filmed. they look incredible.

what was that av from? the guy getting his face punched in.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A game called mother Russia bleeds.

I literally had people PMing me asking me to change it lol. It was a good run but it was a disgusting av I’m glad it’s gone too.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm sad you got rid of the Mother Russia Bleeds av, that game fuckin rules.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm sad you got rid of the Mother Russia Bleeds av, that game fuckin rules.

I need to get around to playing it

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Anyone checked out Fastest Car on Netflix? I didn't think a car show would make me cry multiple times. It's pretty good.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Anyone checked out Fastest Car on Netflix? I didn't think a car show would make me cry multiple times. It's pretty good.

It's really good. I really wanted Lunch Money to win the whole thing. That car was badass.

nate fisher posted:

I just realized I’ve watched 60+ episodes of Terrace House over the last month and half. They go by so fast my wife and I are like lets watch one more. Aloha State is by far the weakest series (season) on Netflix, but the other 2 are great.

Didn't really have any idea what I was getting into and I'm pretty hooked. This is MUCH better than American reality TV.

Eat The Rich fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 21, 2018

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The Looming Tower on Hulu is quite good FYI. The CIA should be ashamed.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Field Mousepad posted:

That's a really strange thing to be annoyed about.

Not when it gets in the way of hearing some of the dialogue

Edit: looks like the distracting sound effects were only in the first episode, didn’t notice any in 2 and 3

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Apr 22, 2018

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Okay, so the "Dreamworks Face" meme may be a bit played out, but holy loving lmao look at this loving thing:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Goddamn season 2 of Preacher has pacing issues

I'm enjoying the slow episodes but having to wait a week between them was probably infuriating

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Fast & Furious animated series coming to Netflix.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/buckle-up-netflix-is-making-a-fast-furious-animated-1825475248

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

So, I never thought I'd make this request, but what are some good police procedurals that are streaming on Netflix, Hulu or Prime?

This newfound love started when I watched The Wire, then Longmire, and I just finished up the fourth season of Bosch last night. Anything in that range of quality would be great.

I also watched Low Winter Sun while waiting on the fourth season of Bosch to be released, but it was iffy at best.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Mammal Sauce posted:

So, I never thought I'd make this request, but what are some good police procedurals that are streaming on Netflix, Hulu or Prime?

This newfound love started when I watched The Wire, then Longmire, and I just finished up the fourth season of Bosch last night. Anything in that range of quality would be great.

I also watched Low Winter Sun while waiting on the fourth season of Bosch to be released, but it was iffy at best.

The Shield is on Hulu. It's a good look at police/municipal corruption with one of the most hilariously dated soundtracks of any show, ever.

The Fall and Luther are on Netflix. The Fall is a slow burn and only follows one particular case but it sounds like that wouldn't bother you. Luther is...really pretty silly, but Idris Elba.

Oh and The Frankenstein Chronicles on Netflix might fit the bill as well. Sean Bean is a pre-Bobby policeman tasked with investigating a crime carried out in imitation of the eponymous novel.

Leatherhead fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 24, 2018

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Mammal Sauce posted:

Justified

Nothing else matters but Justified

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
Just watched Tall Men on Amazon Prime. From the cover it looked like a Slenderman knock-off movie, so I had low expectations, but it had a couple good reviews so why not.

I feel like cover image is a bit of bait and switch because it has nothing to do with Slenderman (aside maybe some thematic inspiration), but that's not a bad thing. It does have faceless men in suits that seem supernatural, but that's about it.

It's not a great movie, but I enjoyed it and I think people who are turned off by the Slenderman connection might miss out. It is definitely not what I expected. The brief description on Amazon is enough without giving spoilers.

However, I did just get off a binge of watching a bunch of Rifftrax stuff, so it could also be that my standards for what is good are skewed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Section 9 posted:

Just watched Tall Men on Amazon Prime. From the cover it looked like a Slenderman knock-off movie, so I had low expectations, but it had a couple good reviews so why not.

That used to be on Netflix and I thought it was kind of fantastic. Not perfect, but it's very much not any sort of conventional horror film at all, it was a really pleasant surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Justified

Nothing else matters but Justified

I watched the first few episodes of Justified and it just didn't click for me. Seemed way too, I don't know, PG-13? Does it improve as the series progresses?