Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Remember that the FF7 remake is going to be the same gameplay as this. Square really thinks its half-assed gameplay is somehow a selling point or something to be proud of and not an embarrassing paper thin combat system that works poorly and isn't fun.

Imagine if this game played like Dragon's Dogma. That would loving rule. I'd forgive any garbage plot if I could throw enemies over ledges or climb on bosses and stab the fuckers in the neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Square says a lot of things, so I wouldn't be surprised if FF7 plays differently enough to be fun. I have more faith in that project purely because it hasn't been a decade in development. Yet.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

The Skeleton King posted:

Remember that the FF7 remake is going to be the same gameplay as this. Square really thinks its half-assed gameplay is somehow a selling point or something to be proud of and not an embarrassing paper thin combat system that works poorly and isn't fun.

Imagine if this game played like Dragon's Dogma. That would loving rule. I'd forgive any garbage plot if I could throw enemies over ledges or climb on bosses and stab the fuckers in the neck.

Setting aside the weapon selection nonsense (and the resulting crap magic system), this sort of super-streamlined battle system kinda makes sense if you want to make a playable movie. And this is square, so they absolutely want to make a playable movie. Too bad they did a poo poo job of that, too.

It's totally trash for a roleplaying game, where you expect to have more than just an attack button, though. I think (having not played more than the demos) that 13-3 probably had the best setup for a less menu-driven RPG. You could still run around the field, and you had like 12 attack options by switching up your layout.

Night10194 posted:

Remember when Ignis went blind off-screen in something he never even talks about? And then it became his entire character until he totally got over it, also off screen?

That's way worse than gladio's thing, because they also spent the back half of the game blaming you for something that happened way the hell off-screen. Gladio's thing was half-assed, but it had the decency to not tie itself into the plot so much. Really, of the three, Prompto's vanishing from the party was the best handled, since you threw him off a goddamn train and then went to go find him. Shame he didn't get anything out of it besides a reason to talk about his stupid rear end barcode. Which again, is apparently way better handled in some anime or whatever. Because "somewhere the gently caress else" is a good place to develop your main cast.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Pulled from a fan's confession page.

"gently caress this game."

FFX was still better than this game by miles though, lol.

Thank you for replaying the last four hours, and editing it together wonderfully. It's been a hell of a time.

Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?

Remember that the FF7 remake is going to be the same gameplay as this.

An article that came out earlier today says SE is currently seeking to hire a battle planner, describing the battle system as “a new Final Fantasy with action elements added to traditional strategy." This series always overhauls the combat between entries and they're making the new one sound like a hybrid to some degree so no, I don't think we're getting the same poo poo twice.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I assume that must be a late stage replacement, I thought that they'd been showing off combat reels for at least two years. Bit late for an overhaul otherwise.

Is what I'd be saying for a company without form.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
thank you for replaying the ending, i probably would not have sat through that a second time

this game is hot garbage for all the reasons already articulated, but i will say that it seems marginally better than whatever dreck was played for the april fools video. which is kind of scary

Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?

goatface posted:

I assume that must be a late stage replacement, I thought that they'd been showing off combat reels for at least two years. Bit late for an overhaul otherwise.

Is what I'd be saying for a company without form.

They're just hiring an additional person. The job opening isn't really newsworthy besides reminding us the upcoming remake isn't just some collective fever dream we all had.

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
Thanks for the LP you lovely people , now I want to buy a Cup Noodle and never want to buy a final fantasy game again.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

thank you for replaying the ending, i probably would not have sat through that a second time

this game is hot garbage for all the reasons already articulated, but i will say that it seems marginally better than whatever dreck was played for the april fools video. which is kind of scary

I was extremely upset that the cat girl's ears were backwards and nobody said anything about it. Why are they backwards?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nanomachines.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Thanks for enduring this for our entertainment and even going so far as to go through the ending twice. Thanks to you guys I will have good memories of watching this game, which I definitely wouldn't have been able to say about playing it.

As astoundingly bad and incoherent as this all was, I kept finding myself really close to having sympathy for Ardyn despite the games best efforts to make me not care about or understand anything that was happening. It's amazing how far good voice acting and the occasional facial expression will go when it's just completely absent in every other character.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
What was Ardyn's deal even? Something about being in line for the throne but then he absorbed too many demons and went crazy and now he hates Noctis because he got the boot from the royal family? I didn't quite get whether him going insane got him exiled, or the other way around. Or if that's even what happened at all.

He had a nice hat, though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sydin posted:

What was Ardyn's deal even? Something about being in line for the throne but then he absorbed too many demons and went crazy and now he hates Noctis because he got the boot from the royal family? I didn't quite get whether him going insane got him exiled, or the other way around. Or if that's even what happened at all.

--World plagued by demon virus.
--Gods say "hey royals, fix this."
--Ardyn hoovers up all the virus, becoming immortal in the process.
--Gods say "we didn't mean like that. Now you can't be King, and we're going to have to fix your problem somewhere down the line."
--exiled from the country he sacrificed himself to save, struck from the histories, and thousands of years of bitterness. I honestly can't tell if he decided to be evil ("hey Gods, even your prophecy carried out to its best can't save these people") or if it was an elaborate suicide in the only way he knew would work.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Sydin posted:

I think his entire deal with dicking Noctis around was an elaborate plot by Ardyn to get himself killed the only way possible. So that's some accomplishment, killing the bad guy who wanted to die and planned the whole thing and held his hand every step of the way to keep him from loving it up. Ardyn absolutely could have slaughtered them all at any time or else just left them to their own devices. (meaning they'd have been loving around in a desert killing scorpions for gas money still, ten years later)

No idea what was going on with the no sunlight thing though or how that related to anything.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Demonic malaria, according to a loading screen.

Airborne, sunlight-absorbing demon malaria.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That seems like the kind of 'critical to the central conflict' thing you need to put inside the game at some point as opposed to, perhaps, going to a festival with a tiny fennec fox.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He resists it at the end and seems angry that they're killing him.

"I have been pushed so far past normal humanity that I am fully prepared to gently caress up the entire world just to ensure that I can finally die" as a motivation is all well and good, but he should properly embrace it at the end. Have him properly glory in the fight. Encourage your brigade of clowns rather than just hit them with the chloroform. Give a proper denouement with a full "I have forced you to this, but only because the Gods denied me" speech and an apology, maybe explain the whole "eternal life with your arranged bride" thing as his hosed up attempt to make your afterlife happier. Call the loving summons to account to explain their lovely behaviour.

Make the players understand that sure, you died, but some very basic poo poo has fundamentally gone terribly loving wrong and you might have salvaged the best from it you could.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Night10194 posted:

That seems like the kind of 'critical to the central conflict' thing you need to put inside the game at some point as opposed to, perhaps, going to a festival with a tiny fennec fox.

Does "written on a scrap of paper in a skippable area" count as "in the game?" Some of that was covered in the Noctis part of chapter 13. That's also when Noctis picked up his dad's sword, Sword of the Father, since that question came up in the LP.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, Ardyn is the best idea in the story and probably the most coherent, but they even messed him up.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
The ending should have been Notc failing and the the demons evolving into an intelligent species/civ and humanss becoming the scary things that go bump in the day.

So like I Am Legend.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Ardyn became the only decent character the moment he invited you to the car park.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Sydin posted:

He's Noctis's great-great-great-uncle, and was the first one to be chosen by the Gods to be start of the royal bloodline that would gain their power and cleanse the world of darkness.
He used his power to absorb the demon-plague into his own body, curing the people who had been infected by it and becoming immortal.
Then the Gods said "No we don't want you to do that. You're supposed to be killing them, and then after many generations The Chosen King will power up with all the souls of his ancestors and kill himself to eradicate the darkness. Your brother is down with the program so he's King now instead."
He became spiteful and waited for this Chosen King, Noctis, to be born so he could gently caress up the Gods' plan at its climax.

I'm looking forward to being disappointed by this year's batch of DLC that's supposed to include a "Episode: Ardyn" which they've described as "An alternate finale in which the characters challenge their fates to achieve the ideal future they envisioned" and has an amazing piece of promo art.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Wow, Ardyn's backstory sounds way more rad than anything that happened in this game. Shame Square didn't make the game about that instead.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, a game about a dude who tried to show mercy and compassion that the Gods got all pissed off about and who now hates the rear end in a top hat Gods and all would rule.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
ugh wrong thread.

Chaos Personified
Oct 9, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, a game about a dude who tried to show mercy and compassion that the Gods got all pissed off about and who now hates the rear end in a top hat Gods and all would rule.

But they already made Final Fantasy 13.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Destroying gods and their lovely religion was also FFX and Tales of Symphonia.

Which I both liked because I dig that kind of story.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I think this really traces back to 10 and the fact that most people gave it a pass back then because of the constraints of technology for the time so they just kept doing it.

People are this poo poo before and supposedly did with this game as well so I don't see any reason why they'd change.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Wait, what gods, I thought we were gathering magic swords to fight demons. :confused:

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

All I've learned from jrpgs is that fantasy gods are all a bunch of losers who need a swirly.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bocc Kob posted:

Wait, what gods, I thought we were gathering magic swords to fight demons. :confused:

The espers.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Chaos Personified posted:

But they already made Final Fantasy 13.

And 12 before that.

But yeah, Ardyn finding out he could be a baleen whale to the demonic plankton or whatever just stepped over the Universal Anime Workers union lines of demarcation that the Oracle, being with titty, is the designated white mage and was grieved into the abyss.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
https://giant.gfycat.com/EntireCarelessGreatwhiteshark.webm
nice loving game

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Taint first is how I envision Kars from part 2 of Jojo returning if he ever got to come back from space

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sydin posted:

Honestly what might bug me the most about this whole ordeal is that you can tell the game really, really thinks the player is invested in the party and their friendship by the end of the game, but none of it was earned. Every important moment of characterization for them (and there aren't that many to go around!) either happened offscreen, or in separate spin-off DLC's. Remember when Gladio got his rear end kicked so hard he had to go on a quest to prove to himself he was worthy of protecting Noctis? Of course not, because it was all offscreen and as soon as Gladio came back nothing changed except now his model had some scars on it.

There was a genuine chance for this party to be both more interesting and yet also more grounded than the usual clown car of quirky morons you get in most FF parties, and it was completely squandered.

Night10194 posted:

Remember when Ignis went blind off-screen in something he never even talks about? And then it became his entire character until he totally got over it, also off screen?

Yeah, they've got to commit to one or the other. Either Final Fantasy is somehow less equipped to deal with injuries than Resident Evil and gouging someone's eyes out is a real big deal or that's just an issue till they can get them to a doctor but in the meantime soak a cloth with some Elixir so he stops thrashing around.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Noctis and co. were just stingy with the eye drops.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Bruceski posted:

The espers.

Those things that showed up for some trailer bait cutscenes, then had absolutely no bearing on the story's resolution? :confused:

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

topiKal posted:

:frogsiren: UPDATE :frogsiren:

Episode 62: Shenmue Ep 20

~43:00 def one of the funniest moments from any game we've played

Congrats on making it to the finish line. I honestly thought you guys may have bailed out half way though it all. And I don't think many would have blamed you.

Thanks for making a convoluted mess entertaining to watch.

Calihan fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, they've got to commit to one or the other. Either Final Fantasy is somehow less equipped to deal with injuries than Resident Evil and gouging someone's eyes out is a real big deal or that's just an issue till they can get them to a doctor but in the meantime soak a cloth with some Elixir so he stops thrashing around.

Oh no, he's still blind. He's just a super monk now and doesn't need it.

• Locked thread