Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

etalian posted:

Could someone explain the economics behind the poop train?

Why ship to alabama from NYC?

They WOULD ship the poop to China, but there's big new tariffs on it now, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

they better hurry up and rinse out those train cars, we've got a big shipment of romaine needing to go out

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

they better hurry up and rinse out those train cars, we've got a big shipment of romaine needing to go out

https://twitter.com/dril/status/987468596426215424

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

etalian posted:

Could someone explain the economics behind the poop train?

Why ship to alabama from NYC?

ancient alabaman superstition teaches that those who consume the feces of the wealthy shall become wealthy themselves

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

drilldo squirt posted:

poo poo eating locals take money to deal with other peoples poo poo, get mad at the people who payed when the poop dump has an overflow.

global center of capital exploits one of the poorest regions of the country by making them handle their toxic shits, liberals everywhere applaud

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

global center of capital exploits one of the poorest regions of the country by making them handle their toxic shits, liberals everywhere applaud

its pretty elitist of you to assume the people of alabama are being exploited by new york. alabamans consistently elect politicians who proudly run on making alabama the toilet of the world. they can't have their poo poo and eat it too

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

its pretty elitist of you to assume the people of alabama are being exploited by new york. alabamans consistently elect politicians who proudly run on making alabama the toilet of the world. they can't have their poo poo and eat it too

They sure seem to be doing both right now

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

alabamans brainwashed by rightwing media almost exclusively created in new york and california to vote in politicians who gut regulations so they can be more easily exploited by wall street

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

alabamans brainwashed by rightwing media almost exclusively created in new york and california to vote in politicians who gut regulations so they can be more easily exploited by wall street

lol if u think the problem with alabama began with the advent of modern rightwing media

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lol if u think the problem with alabama began with the advent of modern rightwing media

its certainly fueled it for the last 40 years

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

drilldo squirt posted:

poo poo eating locals take money to deal with other peoples poo poo, get mad at the people who payed when the poop dump has an overflow.

On or two locals, maybe, are getting paid to deal with the poop, more likely it's a plot of land belonging to Poop International.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

its certainly fueled it for the last 40 years

for sure. and the rich have eagerly exploited the political dynamic for their own gains, to the detriment of the entire country. but the notion that republican voters in alabama are nothing more than victims exploited by the capital class is hopelessly simplistic. it's the kind of conclusion you reach if you insist on interpreting every decision through an economic lens. you can trick people into making dumb choices, sure. but when they have a choice in the matter, people don't just vote to gently caress themselves over decade after decade for no reason. if they've been taking it in the rear end economically for 40+ years then they're getting something out of the deal. the people of alabama are, and have always been, free to vote for leaders who don't dig poop trains. they are worthy of mockery precisely because they choose to have poop trains

(it's notable that the poop train was tolerated in the town for months until the story went national and made the state look bad)

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
turns out the trump train had brakes

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

logikv9 posted:

turns out the trump train had brakes

And was full of poo poo.

sexpot
Nov 12, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

global center of capital exploits one of the poorest regions of the country by making them handle their toxic shits

LOL how'd New York make Alabama do anything, like was it at gunpoint or something

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

sexpot posted:

LOL how'd New York make Alabama do anything, like was it at gunpoint or something

No environmental regulations for AL means they were more than happy to accept a train of NYC poo poo

:capitalism:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

for sure. and the rich have eagerly exploited the political dynamic for their own gains, to the detriment of the entire country. but the notion that republican voters in alabama are nothing more than victims exploited by the capital class is hopelessly simplistic. it's the kind of conclusion you reach if you insist on interpreting every decision through an economic lens. you can trick people into making dumb choices, sure. but when they have a choice in the matter, people don't just vote to gently caress themselves over decade after decade for no reason. if they've been taking it in the rear end economically for 40+ years then they're getting something out of the deal. the people of alabama are, and have always been, free to vote for leaders who don't dig poop trains. they are worthy of mockery precisely because they choose to have poop trains

(it's notable that the poop train was tolerated in the town for months until the story went national and made the state look bad)
:ssh: neither political party gives a poo poo about the rural poor, they've been taking it in the rear end economically for 40+ years because they have no other choice, but one party convinces them that struggling is righteous and it's actually the fault of those people over there while the other tries to avoid making eye contact

sexpot
Nov 12, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

etalian posted:

No environmental regulations for AL means they were more than happy to accept a train of NYC poo poo

:capitalism:

Clearly it is New York's responsibility to save Alabama from itself

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Is it time for ode to the noble rural voter already

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Back in my day, when we offloaded our poo poo onto the peasants by the wagonload, we had the decency to call it night soil

sexpot
Nov 12, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Is it time for ode to the noble rural voter already

Please be nice, those poor souls have already suffered enough from the Coastal Elites literally flinging poop on them with their giant poop-flinging catapults

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

sexpot posted:

Please be nice, those poor souls have already suffered enough from the Coastal Elites literally flinging poop on them with their giant poop-flinging catapults

If I were an IK I would have probed you for not using the decorum term, poopapult

sexpot
Nov 12, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Harsh but fair

E: "crapapult"

sexpot has issued a correction as of 05:24 on Apr 22, 2018

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

sexpot posted:

Harsh but fair

Your entirely theoretical sentance has been commuted

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Bhodi posted:

:ssh: neither political party gives a poo poo about the rural poor, they've been taking it in the rear end economically for 40+ years because they have no other choice, but one party convinces them that struggling is righteous and it's actually the fault of those people over there while the other tries to avoid making eye contact

in fact one party made a significant medicaid expansion available to the rural poor, many of whom* then doubled down on the other party whose platform fixated on blocking said expansion.

politicians tend to pander to their voters pretty shamelessly on issues the voters really care about. you couldn't even win an election for dog catcher in these places if you publicly called for strict gun control laws, but promise to keep them from getting government healthcare and they couldn't care less. those are their political priorities. if and when those priorities change, the politicians will follow, not before.

*the white ones

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

sexpot posted:

Clearly it is New York's responsibility to save Alabama from itself

Also known as the White Plains Burden.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

reignonyourparade posted:

On or two locals, maybe, are getting paid to deal with the poop, more likely it's a plot of land belonging to Poop International.

Why don't they get mad at those two and the zoning board.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Epic High Five posted:

If I were an IK I would have probed you for not using the decorum term, poopapult

sexpot posted:

Harsh but fair

I think you meant trepoochet.

sexpot
Nov 12, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cold on a Cob posted:

This ain't France buddy

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cold on a Cob posted:

Cacapulta

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Poolista.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

it's the kind of conclusion you reach if you insist on interpreting every decision through an economic lens.

i mean, yeah?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

sexpot posted:

how is monney formed

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

loving north state liberals telling us to not lynch black people

oh they want us to handle human faeces?

sure but only if they come from whites-only neighbourhoods

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

[a few months later]

why does everything smell like poo poo

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
imo we POC (who are actually a majority in NYC) shouldn’t be asked to coddle whites who voted against our existence or to entertain any excuses for their behavior or people who care more about their inherent goodness than about our humanity

seems simple enough

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

i mean, yeah?

your explanation for the way red states vote begins and ends at "right-wing media brainwashing". but then, why is it so much more effective in rural and southern region? is it a question of education? culture? innate intelligence? ethnic homogeneity? historical circumstances? if they're being consistently tricked for 40+ years then there's gotta be something to explain it, right?

you are embodying the caricature that red staters have of outsiders who think they're all just too stupid to vote the correct way. it's not a convincing argument, bc it refuses to acknowledge their own, non-economic motivations for the way they vote. i don't think they're too stupid-- i think they're a mixture of too prideful, too scared of change, and too bigoted. and while they wouldn't agree with my analysis, they frequently claim to vote in support of abstract non-economic values of heritage, traditional values, and "freedom" that, subject to interpretation, can be understood as fig leaves to excuse the list of moral failures i just gave.

again, the poop train only got fixed when the story went national and embarrassed them. wallowing in poo poo for a month wasn't fun but being laughed at for it was completely intolerable. that says something key about local priorities that has very little to do with right-wing media, and shows that ridicule, not sympathy, can actually motivate positive change

Dixie Cretin Seaman has issued a correction as of 22:49 on Apr 22, 2018

sexpot
Nov 12, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

how is monney formed

Please go away

sexpot
Nov 12, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

how is monney formed

I'm sorry, I mean:

Monney is formed from a Trickster Imp that uses deceitful wordplay to force Alabama into its service for a century and a day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

your explanation for the way red states vote begins and ends at "right-wing media brainwashing". but then, why is it so much more effective in rural and southern region? is it a question of education? culture? innate intelligence? ethnic homogeneity? historical circumstances? if they're being consistently tricked for 40+ years then there's gotta be something to explain it, right?

you are embodying the caricature that red staters have of outsiders who think they're all just too stupid to vote the correct way. it's not a convincing argument, bc it refuses to acknowledge their own, non-economic motivations for the way they vote. i don't think they're too stupid-- i think they're a mixture of too prideful, too scared of change, and too bigoted. and while they wouldn't agree with my analysis, they frequently claim to vote in support of abstract non-economic values of heritage, traditional values, and "freedom" that, subject to interpretation, can be understood as fig leaves to excuse the list of moral failures i just gave.

again, the poop train only got fixed when the story went national and embarrassed them. wallowing in poo poo for a month wasn't fun but being laughed at for it was completely intolerable. that says something key about local priorities that has very little to do with right-wing media, and shows that ridicule, not sympathy, can actually motivate positive change

I agree, Flint Michigan deserves to have lead water