Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

BioEnchanted posted:

The sheer nonsense in Creature from the Krusty Krab is amazing so far - the main idea is that each level is a dream each character is having dealing with their personal strengths and weaknesses/desires - Spongebob dreams of being a hotrod racer while finally earning his license, and the character's art styles actually change for that level to the grotesquely heavily outlined punk style cartoons, with bloodshot eyes and cracked teeth and poo poo. Currently fleeing a giant Krabby Patty as Plankton, who tried to make himself match it by using a growth ray to grow himself to 100 times his normal size - resulting in the average height of a normal fish.

It's really funny.

Seeing you post reminds me that I was playing Hybrid Heaven the other day. It's a N64 real time, fighting game RPG where you fight off bioweapons with punches, kicks, and wrestling moves.

I don't know too many people who played it, but it's a good game, mostly for the combat. You can create your own combos and learn new moves from having them used on you. It's the kind of old school and obscure you specialize in at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lamey_whinehouse
Jul 5, 2007

by Smythe
I just started Yakuza 6, and the game is just fantastic. My favorite part is the minigame involving the baby. It makes use of ALL of the dualshock 4's capabilities (motion detection, the touchpad, etc). It really took a lot to get used to, because I hadn't played a game that really took advantage of that.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Novum posted:

I like the cursed gun that screams while you fire and announces your reloads

I duel weilded two of those with my gunserker.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

lamey_whinehouse posted:

I just started Yakuza 6, and the game is just fantastic. My favorite part is the minigame involving the baby. It makes use of ALL of the dualshock 4's capabilities (motion detection, the touchpad, etc). It really took a lot to get used to, because I hadn't played a game that really took advantage of that.

My favorite part is the live chat where all my parents and grandparents and teachers and Obama walked in while I was playing it.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Been playing an MMO lately called Project Gorgon, its not good. I'm enjoying it anyway, it's very runescape-ish in that there are probably 100 skills you can level up individually and I'm constantly laughing outloud when I find a new one. Recently I found out that if you use a flower from your inventory you can level up 'nature appreciation' :allears:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Agent355 posted:

Been playing an MMO lately called Project Gorgon, its not good. I'm enjoying it anyway, it's very runescape-ish in that there are probably 100 skills you can level up individually and I'm constantly laughing outloud when I find a new one. Recently I found out that if you use a flower from your inventory you can level up 'nature appreciation' :allears:

I just imagine Griffin Macelroy saying "Flower admired! Nature Appreciation improved! Level up!" in his Soul Caliber announcer voice.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If Griffin McElroy narrated/announced any game, that would immediately become my favorite little thing in any game, ever.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

If Griffin McElroy narrated/announced any game, that would immediately become my favorite little thing in any game, ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkmCFeb9VIE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSzYl8Sf9-I

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I picked up Horizon: Zero Dawn because of the good reviews and hype online and from friends. I love the little detail of the ancient world items names and their icons, like the Ancient Toothpick, and the picture is a cork opener, or "Glow Bracelet", which is a wrist watch. The sheer amount of how far you can explore- I've only run into a couple of invisible walls, one said I was going off the boundary of the game map and the other was keeping me from climbing in somewhere I needed to go to after talking to someone. It's really neat being able to go almost anywhere I can see. The need to approach enemies with caution and planning is a lot of fun, combat feels challenging and organic, and most deaths feel like I deserve it, like when I stealth-killed a Watcher (an easy little robot) RIGHT when a pair of Scrappers (much bigger and nastier robots) came around the corner. OOPS, YOU'RE DEAD.

My favorite moment of accidental death was, during the Proving, when you have to take the shortcut, there's a guide who warns you not to use it and shouts, "If you go that way you'll die!" I jumped for the zip line, hit the X button too many times or something, and immediately fell to my death! You were right, man. You were right.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Unfortunately, that game is complete garbage that not even the McElroy Brother voiceovers could salvage.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Zonko_T.M. posted:

I picked up Horizon: Zero Dawn because of the good reviews and hype online and from friends. I love the little detail of the ancient world items names and their icons, like the Ancient Toothpick, and the picture is a cork opener, or "Glow Bracelet", which is a wrist watch. The sheer amount of how far you can explore- I've only run into a couple of invisible walls, one said I was going off the boundary of the game map and the other was keeping me from climbing in somewhere I needed to go to after talking to someone. It's really neat being able to go almost anywhere I can see. The need to approach enemies with caution and planning is a lot of fun, combat feels challenging and organic, and most deaths feel like I deserve it, like when I stealth-killed a Watcher (an easy little robot) RIGHT when a pair of Scrappers (much bigger and nastier robots) came around the corner. OOPS, YOU'RE DEAD.

My favorite moment of accidental death was, during the Proving, when you have to take the shortcut, there's a guide who warns you not to use it and shouts, "If you go that way you'll die!" I jumped for the zip line, hit the X button too many times or something, and immediately fell to my death! You were right, man. You were right.

I love the environmental storytelling - once I was exploring (this is by the winding riverbed west of the start of the game where there isn't much there BTW) during my first time playing and started jumping up a tree - nothing was up there but I was happy to have got up there - until I fell into the branch I was standing on, and saw (not story spoiler, just a neat surprise with no reason to actually go there)handhold straps and seats lining the place- the tree was not only a tree, I had been jumping on a subway train for half the journey and didn't even see the transition. That was awesome.

lamey_whinehouse
Jul 5, 2007

by Smythe

Push El Burrito posted:

My favorite part is the live chat where all my parents and grandparents and teachers and Obama walked in while I was playing it.

i don't understand this post, is this a markov chain

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Leavemywife posted:

Seeing you post reminds me that I was playing Hybrid Heaven the other day. It's a N64 real time, fighting game RPG where you fight off bioweapons with punches, kicks, and wrestling moves.

I don't know too many people who played it, but it's a good game, mostly for the combat. You can create your own combos and learn new moves from having them used on you. It's the kind of old school and obscure you specialize in at this point.

Whoa, I remember seeing a small writeup in Nintendo Power on this game back in the day, and then haven't heard of it again until this very moment.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Olaf The Stout posted:

Whoa, I remember seeing a small writeup in Nintendo Power on this game back in the day, and then haven't heard of it again until this very moment.

I practically obsessed over that article. I was so pumped when it was my birthday and that game came out. I love that game, and I'm pretty sure nobody else understands why.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

lamey_whinehouse posted:

i don't understand this post, is this a markov chain

i assume you haven't done the live chat yet

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Hybrid Heaven was incredibly bizarre but I was far too young to understand what the hell I was supposed to be doing and got stuck in some elevator fight. It and Quest 64 (or Holy Magic Century here) were my first RPGs... It's a wonder I kept playing the bloody genre really

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Creature from the Krusty Krab has the most awesome, terrifying remix of the Spongebob theme to date and I love it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aogq4hqWx6s

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Frush posted:

Since this is the little things in games thread, I'll say that I loved the Rakk hive boss in the original. You couldn't look at certain terrain features the same way after that. The name 'Friendship Gulag' from the second one is also hilarious.

I love Innuendo-Bot 5000 because I am a child.

lamey_whinehouse
Jul 5, 2007

by Smythe

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

i assume you haven't done the live chat yet

lol i just got to it, my apologies

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

What's a good PS4 Yakuza game to start with? I've not played any of them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Leavemywife posted:

From what I've heard, either Kiwame (the remake of Yakuza 1) or 0 (the prequel). 0 has a lot of calls forward, but I watched TieTuesday's entire playthrough of it and they're not spoilers so much as appetizers.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Leavemywife posted:

0 > Kiwami and, maybe by the time you're finished, Kiwami 2

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

I started with Kiwami 1 and then went to 0 as my first Yakuza games and that was delightful. 0 just SO MUCH STUFF that going from Kiwami to it feels like a huge jump in terms of things to play with. Everything aside from the combat is better, since in 0 you need a full special meter for your attacks to have any speed to them.

Also, remember, this is 0.

http://i.imgur.com/IyDizNT.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/qyMSAUq.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/qIKmtMY.mp4

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I remember reading an egm or generation next or any of those bizarre video game magazines of the 90's hyping up hybrid heaven years before the game came out and it looked like the coolest loving thing
Man I really hope there's a Nintendo 64 classic mini and it's either full of bizarre impossible poo poo like hybrid heaven and body harvest or people crack it to finally figure out how to do perfect Nintendo 64 emulation

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

RareAcumen posted:

I started with Kiwami 1 and then went to 0 as my first Yakuza games and that was delightful. 0 just SO MUCH STUFF that going from Kiwami to it feels like a huge jump in terms of things to play with. Everything aside from the combat is better, since in 0 you need a full special meter for your attacks to have any speed to them.

Also, remember, this is 0.

http://i.imgur.com/IyDizNT.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/qyMSAUq.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/qIKmtMY.mp4

Please remember that these games are super serious melodramas

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

Man I really hope there's a Nintendo 64 classic mini and it's either full of bizarre impossible poo poo like hybrid heaven and body harvest or people crack it to finally figure out how to do perfect Nintendo 64 emulation

I would be shocked if we saw an N64 classic mini before the creation of perfect N64 emulation. If I recall correctly, people that have cracked open Nintendo's prior "play classic games" systems have found open-source emulators at the core.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

How was the N64 emulation on the Wii? I didn't play many of the VC games but for the ones that I did I didn't notice any real flaws

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Simsmagic posted:

How was the N64 emulation on the Wii? I didn't play many of the VC games but for the ones that I did I didn't notice any real flaws

I had serious stretching and skewing with some textures in Ocarina of Time and it made the game insanely trippy but I already knew what I was doing, a few other games I had some graphical issues or sound issues like syncing wrong and I forget which game but one would just make a terrible screeching noise constantly, but most games I tried worked just fine.

Edit: Oh you meant official Nintendo releases, I have no idea lol

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZlaLvqX5r0

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Sid Vicious posted:

I had serious stretching and skewing with some textures in Ocarina of Time and it made the game insanely trippy but I already knew what I was doing, a few other games I had some graphical issues or sound issues like syncing wrong and I forget which game but one would just make a terrible screeching noise constantly, but most games I tried worked just fine.

This reminds me that on the Gamcube disk with the 4 zeldas that was released as a preorder bonus with Windwaker. It had Majora's Mask and the main town music was hosed up and glitchy, with a really loud buzzing. Not much else was wrong, but the spot where the majority of the cool events that happen in the game was made super-annoying lol.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I played Hybrid Heaven and man, that game was nuts. The fighting was kind of real-time/turn-based, where you'd select what attack you wanted to do. The more you used an attack the better it got. My friend just right kicked everything and ended up with this hugely powerful right leg, and then couldn't proceed because he came up against an enemy that didn't take much damage from it.

I tried to make a wrestler but the throws took heaps of stamina and didn't do much damage.

I'd like to play it again, it was real weird.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It gets rudely difficult in the endgame; between enemy damage, a gauntlet to finish the game, and this is probably a dumb kid talking limited items it was brutal.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sid Vicious posted:

VC/eShop-released N64 games worked perfectly fine on the Wii and WiiU.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I played Hybrid Heaven and man, that game was nuts. The fighting was kind of real-time/turn-based, where you'd select what attack you wanted to do. The more you used an attack the better it got. My friend just right kicked everything and ended up with this hugely powerful right leg, and then couldn't proceed because he came up against an enemy that didn't take much damage from it.

I tried to make a wrestler but the throws took heaps of stamina and didn't do much damage.

I'd like to play it again, it was real weird.

If SOMEONE made a game that was a steamlined version of Hybrid Heaven mixed with Toribash, they would get $200 from me instantly.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
RE: N64 Mini

I could see Nintendo, unsure if the micro console would be a success, being conservative in developing the NES classic and using open source software. And considering the SNES classic is pretty much the exact same solution on the exact same hardware, there's no need to reinvent the wheel there. But considering the inability to purchase either of them catching nintendo off guard, they may be looking off at an N64 mini as an assured success. And so, they might actually throw bodies to fix the N64 emulation problem just to be able to put out something.

But that assumes a probable simplicity to the situation due to my ignorance, and it may be more complex (be it the practicality of the technical side, or the realities and expectations from the business side).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SomeJazzyRat posted:

RE: N64 Mini

I could see Nintendo, unsure if the micro console would be a success, being conservative in developing the NES classic and using open source software. And considering the SNES classic is pretty much the exact same solution on the exact same hardware, there's no need to reinvent the wheel there. But considering the inability to purchase either of them catching nintendo off guard, they may be looking off at an N64 mini as an assured success. And so, they might actually throw bodies to fix the N64 emulation problem just to be able to put out something.

But that assumes a probable simplicity to the situation due to my ignorance, and it may be more complex (be it the practicality of the technical side, or the realities and expectations from the business side).

The SNES Mini had nowhere near the supply issues that the NES Mini did. Nintendo actually learned that lesson, to the point of even including two controllers from the get-go.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I can't see an N64 Mini straying from the games that people have nailed emulation-wise anyway. N64 emulation in general can still be pretty rough in places, but the Virtual Console has shown that they've gotten their own titles and most of the big third-party ones down pat. And that's what they need for something like that: they don't need a perfect emulator, they just need to be able to emulate the games they've picked.

The only thing that strikes me about an N64 Mini is that I'm not sure how you'd fill out the lineup without Rare. They were a massive part of the N64's iconic lineup, especially because third parties weren't super on-board with the platform, and I feel like if you can't reach for the likes of the Banjo-Kazooie games, Diddy Kong Racing, and Perfect Dark (they'd be able to use DK64, and Goldeneye is EXTREMELY off the table anyway), they're gonna have to make some weird pulls to fill up the lineup with well-regarded games that weren't considered better on the PS1.

...But it does free up the roster to include Pokemon Snap and Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, and if I got those two I'd be happy forever.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
the n64 mini won't be good because I already know it won't have body harvest on it.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It critically wouldn't have the game most people people would expect for an N64 nostalgia trip: GoldenEye. Licensing hells mean an N64 mini would cater heavily to Nintendo first-party stuff, which there is still is a lot of, but it does mean some things would be noticeably lacking. How does Star Wars licensing work these days? :v:

Jehde has a new favorite as of 07:18 on Apr 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Leavemywife posted:

jeeez reading this post is activating all sorts of memories for me. i remember reading the Nintenfo Powet issue of Hybrid Heaven years ago and getting super stoked on it. never played it of course. i did pick up a copy of it in the last year when i saw it at a garage sale... haven't played it uet though. almost forgot i had it. man. i gotta get around to playing that.