Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
When a joke is so bad it causes a completely unrelated derail (I was talking about my big ego) :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

What? How does that even qualify as an LP at that point?

It was a single episode april fools joke

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

What? How does that even qualify as an LP at that point?

The LP is "How long can you stand watching and listening to the GameGrumps"

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
They're pretty funny when you're in the mood for it. They're very boisterous and loud. It's hard to listen to every day. I tend to just watch their monthly highlights, but admittedly at that point it's less about the LPs and more about two doofuses cracking each other up.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

MillennialVulcan posted:

They're pretty funny when you're in the mood for it. They're very boisterous and loud. It's hard to listen to every day. I tend to just watch their monthly highlights, but admittedly at that point it's less about the LPs and more about two doofuses cracking each other up.
I wouldn't recommend them to anyone who's looking for an informative (or even complete) LP, because they tend to be rather bad at even the games they claim to "know", and they tend to play most of their games blind and quit many of them after just a few episodes. But they can be really funny sometimes, and some of their stuff is good to watch for a laugh. They're comedians making jokes over a video game, not really LPers.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Outside of SA, but I enjoyed Many a True Nerd's pre-2.0 run. The link is for the heavily-edited version, although the entire livestream is available. He's doing another one post 2.0.

Oh cheers! I loved MaTN's fallout playthroughs.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Looks like its time to make a Let's Watch!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I feel like at most that's a 10 second proposition.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I think GameGrumps are super funny and like watching them for games I already know inside out, which is surprisingly easy because they do popular ones often. That said, "watching" might be the wrong term; I put them on when I'm playing Pokemon or a Souls game for the umpteenth time, so I can glance at where they roughly are in Majora's Mask or whatever during loading screens/encounter animations, and that's it. Otherwise I listen to their banter and chuckle occassionally. It's a good show.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Simply Simon posted:

I think GameGrumps are super funny and like watching them for games I already know inside out, which is surprisingly easy because they do popular ones often. That said, "watching" might be the wrong term; I put them on when I'm playing Pokemon or a Souls game for the umpteenth time, so I can glance at where they roughly are in Majora's Mask or whatever during loading screens/encounter animations, and that's it. Otherwise I listen to their banter and chuckle occassionally. It's a good show.

this is not the first time i've heard this sentiment and it completely boggles my mind that these people have managed to build an entertainment brand on such a weakly justified value prop

"they provide good noises when i don't want there to be quiet" what the gently caress, i thought we filled that niche years ago with white noise machines

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So basically watch GameGrumps if you don't give a drat about video games.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Coolguye posted:

this is not the first time i've heard this sentiment and it completely boggles my mind that these people have managed to build an entertainment brand on such a weakly justified value prop

"they provide good noises when i don't want there to be quiet" what the gently caress, i thought we filled that niche years ago with white noise machines
White noise machines aren't funny

They make me laugh

Is that so hard to understand? I don't think it even needs justification, if I liked PewDiePie then yeah, that would be questionable because he screeches a lot and (used to?) make(s) rape jokes and poo poo, but even since Jon left GameGrumps have been almost wholesome. Arin has his bouts of stupidity but Dan is such a nice guy that it never escalates, so I see no actual problem with enjoying the show?

HGH posted:

So basically watch GameGrumps if you don't give a drat about video games.
It's not a Let's Play format at all and never was, yeah. But it's inseparable from them playing a game while shooting the poo poo, I wouldn't watch it if they discussed movies or something (never understood Mystery Science Theater for example), because the game usually is quiet so they can do all talking all the time. If you care SUPER DEEPLY about Majora's Mask being played THE RIGHT WAY and WHY DON'T THEY GET ALL THE FAIRIES then yeah you'll have it, but why would you care so much? You've played the game before getting all the fairies, right? Why would they need to do that to fulfil some weird videogame correctness demand you impose?

Absolute lol at the idea that I don't give "a drat" about video games by the way.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Didn't mean to accuse you, they just tend to drop games completely randomly and whether they discuss what's on screen or decide to do some loud routine is also completely left to chance. If you're watching specifically for the game in question it won't be very entertaining. This isn't about some "correctness demand", just viewer priorities. For example, I haven't played Majora's Mask so this would probably be a terrible place to start, and I wouldn't direct someone who wanted a video about Majora's Mask here.
Also from what I see they still do some offensive stuff, especially with regards to Asians.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i can't pretend that i'm not guilty of it to some extent, i literally had a fan recognize me in vermintide 2 the other day and say one of the things he liked most about the work me and roboky do is the long-running tangents i get off on, and how he was always surprised that i was able to tie them back in to what was happening on screen. even if i step through 3 different books and 2 different movies i WILL tie it back to what's happening in the game, and that was super weird to him.

so i mean i definitely start running off with the point at the drop of a hat but i'll bring it back eventually at least.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
People have said they watch Grace and I the same way, in the background while doing other stuff, and the game itself is secondary. I don't really see why that's a mind boggling concept.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

because ultimately, at that point you could be listening to stand-up comedy in the background and have way better quality laughs with a much longer history and, bluntly, less horrific bullshit to wade through to find something tolerable. i have absolutely no idea why this is a niche big enough to support multiple young adults over youtube. there's a certain dividing line there that just does not make sense to me at all because the question "what is your alternative?" returns "actually, something that's probably better" and not "eh i dunno"

if you don't care about the game then why include it imo, chekhov's gun and all that

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Coolguye posted:

if you don't care about the game then why include it imo, chekhov's gun and all that

Because it provides a jumping-off point for conversation?

Never watched GameGrumps so I've got no dog in this fight, but there's a wide variety of popular entertainment out there because different people like different things. What's calming to one person is boring to another, what's exciting to one person is irritating to another, so on.

The racism aspect sounds like a much more legitimate issue in this case.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So, I remember the Chip and Ironicus LP of Watch underscore Dogs, and that was amazing. A lot of people have also brought up the sequel as being pretty drat cool, and not in the bile examination sense that the original was either. Is/was there a decent LP of it, preferably by a goon? I would be interested in watching one, but can't remember one coming up before.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Some people like having comfortable things in the background while doing other stuff, and unsurprisingly many of the people who post in the Let's Play forum have people talking over video games as one of those things. It doesn't require your full attention, yet you can check in occasionally and still be entertained.

Might as well ask "Why watch TV Show X when you can watch Y instead?" or some other sort of media preferences. People like different poo poo, and generally it's not worth the time and effort to tell people "Actually this is why you shouldn't watch this..." when life is so short and there's always a chance you can get hit by a bus.

Speaking of which, what are some good LPs that involve characters or other creatures being hit by a bus?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Ashsaber posted:

So, I remember the Chip and Ironicus LP of Watch underscore Dogs, and that was amazing. A lot of people have also brought up the sequel as being pretty drat cool, and not in the bile examination sense that the original was either. Is/was there a decent LP of it, preferably by a goon? I would be interested in watching one, but can't remember one coming up before.

The Men Drinkin' Coffee did essentially a stream LP of it on their channel. It's pretty drat great.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mega64 posted:

Speaking of which, what are some good LPs that involve characters or other creatures being hit by a bus?

You mean in the game?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

You mean in the game?

Sure, why not.

I mean if you know any LPs where an LPer gets hit by a bus I'd probably count that too. It probably wouldn't be an LP I'd necessarily recommend though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mega64 posted:

Not quite a bus, but one of the summon attacks in Bravely Default is a monster train, and Greyarc's LPing that. There's also a bird-plane. And one of the monsters in Yo-Kai Watch is a cat who got hit by a car, so he trains day and night until the day he's able to punch out a car. I can't find any goon LPs, but professional translator Clyde Mandelin did an LP of the Japanese version that's up on YouTube.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 10, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mega64 posted:

Sure, why not.

I mean if you know any LPs where an LPer gets hit by a bus I'd probably count that too. It probably wouldn't be an LP I'd necessarily recommend though.

You might check out CAR BOYS.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Danaru posted:

People have said they watch Grace and I the same way, in the background while doing other stuff, and the game itself is secondary. I don't really see why that's a mind boggling concept.

To be fair I think you two are super engaging and it's nice to hear what you have to say. GameGramps are just a bunch of dick and fart jokes until you die.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Thank you for the recommendation, but I don't think I will be watching much more. By the third video it was getting painful to watch them walking back and forth in front of the guy they needed to speak to because they weren't used to the UI yet. I'm sure that the whole thing is funny, especially given the speed at which they gravitated towards the little single seater smart car, but I'm not sure its what I'm really interested in.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
Any good LP of Rimworld? Doesn't have to be new patch, but newer is better.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Can anyone recommend a NEO Scavenger LP that isn't modded seven ways to Sunday?

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
Any good Shadowrun Returns LPs?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Beelerzebub posted:

Any good Shadowrun Returns LPs?

Yes

https://lparchive.org/Shadowrun-Returns/

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
Is there a good LP of Dead End Road out there? It's exactly the kind of game that draws in terrible lps, but it seems cool and I'd like to watch someone play it while not being annoying as gently caress.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Princey posted:

Is there a good LP of Dead End Road out there? It's exactly the kind of game that draws in terrible lps, but it seems cool and I'd like to watch someone play it while not being annoying as gently caress.
The play through by HarshlyCritical/John Wolfe was pretty good if you can stomach a bit of face cammery.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013

discworld is all I read posted:

The play through by HarshlyCritical/John Wolfe was pretty good if you can stomach a bit of face cammery.

Thanks, that hit the spot just fine!

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Any recommended LPs for Pillars of Eternity or Tyranny? Trying to remember how to play Pillars so I can start White March before the sequel hits, and I think I left off 1/3 of the way through Tyranny. I'm probably better off restarting that one but could use the refresher on Pillars.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

bagrada posted:

Any recommended LPs for Pillars of Eternity or Tyranny? Trying to remember how to play Pillars so I can start White March before the sequel hits, and I think I left off 1/3 of the way through Tyranny. I'm probably better off restarting that one but could use the refresher on Pillars.

There is one running right now of PoE that's fairly good and goes in a *lot* of detail, which seems like what you'd want:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3841177

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Dancer posted:

There is one running right now of PoE that's fairly good and goes in a *lot* of detail, which seems like what you'd want:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3841177

Perfect, thanks. I checked the archive but forgot to check the forum for current ones.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Alright, weird one.

Any recommendations for a Resonance of Fate run?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Are there any good LPs of The Evil Within 2 (not streams or blind runs)?

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
Any nice sports game LPs? Hoping for high skill and insightful commentary, maybe challenges or online play to spice it up a bit.

I've seen the very good football manager LPs on the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Is there a good factorio LP? Hopefully one that has multiplayer and team defense. Thanks goons