Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I was kind of shocked by the lack of base building or tower defense in Origins. The former was missed, the latter: not so much.

They never tried tower defense again after Revelations, did they? I feel like they quickly understood nobody liked that (took em a while to get the memo about tailing missions though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
Is there any point of holding onto all the poo poo I find, like cat amulets and that bullshit? I haven't sold anything yet. Also, should I be buying rare mounts and uniforms? All the mounts are the same though, right, it's not like one is faster than the other.... No point in buying weapons, find plenty of those.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Twat McTwatterson posted:

Is there any point of holding onto all the poo poo I find, like cat amulets and that bullshit? I haven't sold anything yet. Also, should I be buying rare mounts and uniforms? All the mounts are the same though, right, it's not like one is faster than the other.... No point in buying weapons, find plenty of those.

there is an achievement for selling 100 trinkets at once

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

hiddenriverninja posted:

there is an achievement for selling 100 trinkets at once

Haha yeah I saw that, well I guess that answers my question. I just like reading the descriptions, that's why I've held on to them. But they pointless!

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Twat McTwatterson posted:

I believe horses are slightly faster than camels, but other than that no, all horses are the same speed and all camels are the same speed.

On that note I had a Unicamel drop from a Heka chest today. It ownnnnnnnnnnnns :getin:

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
once I accidentally got my unicorn burned but barely alive, it was horrifying waiting for the splotches to heal.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Supreme Allah posted:

once I accidentally got my unicorn burned but barely alive, it was horrifying waiting for the splotches to heal.

Why not eat it? It was already cooked, and you can gain its power.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

doctor iono posted:

Heyy, I just played Rogue! You wanna finish sequence 3, the last memory will unlock the grenade launcher. That's the last piece of the main story that opens up any game elements.

Blowing up an assassin rather than face him directly had me laughing like a donkey for a full minute.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
I did the last quest I had left, Lights Among the Dune, and it wore my rear end out -- it's supposed to be level 40ish, and I'm 55 with all sorts of boosts to damage, and it still was a mission

I must've killed a hundred of those soldier ghosts before I noticed the very obvious prompt to 'escape the tomb!',

then there's that hallucination fight in a tiny ring of fire which is harrowing.

Not a bad reward though, a light-bow with health on hit -- comparable to the one I had, giving up 2 points of 'rate of fire' to gain 2 points in 'critical hit rate'

But now theres nothing to do.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Supreme Allah posted:

I did the last quest I had left, Lights Among the Dune, and it wore my rear end out -- it's supposed to be level 40ish, and I'm 55 with all sorts of boosts to damage, and it still was a mission

I must've killed a hundred of those soldier ghosts before I noticed the very obvious prompt to 'escape the tomb!',

then there's that hallucination fight in a tiny ring of fire which is harrowing.

Not a bad reward though, a light-bow with health on hit -- comparable to the one I had, giving up 2 points of 'rate of fire' to gain 2 points in 'critical hit rate'

But now theres nothing to do.

This quest is the lead-in to the 2nd DLC, did you do that before doing the quest? :v:

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

orcane posted:

This quest is the lead-in to the 2nd DLC, did you do that before doing the quest? :v:

Whoops, i guess! I finished both DLC and this was the only thing left anywhere. I thought the wrap up was a little abrupt 'we found you fainted in the desert. well see ya.'

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Syndicate and Unity are on sale for a tenner. Syndicate is the one everyone loves, right.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

poptart_fairy posted:

Syndicate and Unity are on sale for a tenner. Syndicate is the one everyone loves, right.

Correct. Unity might be worth $10, results may vary.

But Syndicate is DEFINITELY worth it for $10.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Crappy Jack posted:

Correct. Unity might be worth $10, results may vary.

But Syndicate is DEFINITELY worth it for $10.

Seconded. Unity’s not great but there’s about $10 worth of fun to be had with it. Syndicate is genuinely quite good, though

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

poptart_fairy posted:

Syndicate was good yes. It might be a bit hard to play after Origin, but all AC games will from now on, IMO.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I’m the guy who plays AC for the insane conspiracy plots first, pseudo-historical sims second. I finished AC3. In Unity I couldn’t even be bothered get to the reveal of the main bad guy, though the wiki indicates it’s done really badly like most of the story beats in that game.

Someone pointed out that, while ridiculous counter-kill streaks weren’t especially balanced, they sure as poo poo felt Assassin-like, and imho the fact that they were removed entirely in Unity was the single biggest reason the combat was such a slog. Anyone you couldn’t stealth kill with the hidden blade was basically not worth your time.

Adding insult to injury, the English accents representing French accents make it impossible to take anything seriously. I’ve seen that musical, and everyone dies at the end.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Captain Walker posted:

I’m the guy who plays AC for the insane conspiracy plots

:same:

I'm the guy who's miffed that they've been spinning their wheels endlessly on the modern day plot ever since the end of 3. They set it up like oh poo poo now this precursor bitch is loose in the world, I was hyped for what could follow. Aaaaand... nothing.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

Where?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
PSN EU store, sorry. I default to thinking everyone is on about the PS4. :v:

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

man nurse posted:

:same:

I'm the guy who's miffed that they've been spinning their wheels endlessly on the modern day plot ever since the end of 3. They set it up like oh poo poo now this precursor bitch is loose in the world, I was hyped for what could follow. Aaaaand... nothing.

4 pushed that along slightly. Shes not corporeal and the other immortal guy was going to try and make her visible in the real world when you stop him and Abstergo captures him. Thats it for that plotline so far

I miss Desmond. Killing him off was pretty stupid in hindsight.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

orcane posted:

Syndicate was good yes. It might be a bit hard to play after Origin, but all AC games will from now on, IMO.

I played Syndicate after Origins and the controls took a bit to get used to but I really enjoyed it. Great characters and music and the zipline launcher was so much fun.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

PSN EU store, sorry. I default to thinking everyone is on about the PS4. :v:

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Syndicate is better than Origins. So is Unity. So is 3.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Kuiperdolin posted:

:chloe:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
The only real gripe I have with Syndicate, especially in comparison to Origins, is the slappy combat. It feels silly slappin' and whappin' enemies for what seems like too long until you do some hilarious over the top fatality on them.

Like the one that was posted in the Syndicate thread ages ago where Evie kicks a kukri into a dude's face that she pinned in place with her sword cane :haw:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
My problem with Syndicate is that it always feels like the opening 10 minutes of exposition. I spent the entire time waiting for the game to start. :confused:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I spent a lot of that time wanting to punch Jacob in the face.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Kuiperdolin posted:

falls off a tree 100 times

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Syndicate had a really fun setting, great sandbox to fart around in... I miss rampaging across the Thames and beating mooks to death with a cane.
But, the story was probably next to AC3's as the worst in the series... it never made any drat sense how the gently caress Jacob even got accepted into the brotherhood, the dude should have been a villain.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Deakul posted:

Syndicate had a really fun setting, great sandbox to fart around in... I miss rampaging across the Thames and beating mooks to death with a cane.
But, the story was probably next to AC3's as the worst in the series... it never made any drat sense how the gently caress Jacob even got accepted into the brotherhood, the dude should have been a villain.

If you put a gun to my head, I could not tell you what the plot of Syndicate was, but tooling around London was a blast. I didn't expect the vehicles to be fun at all, but they did a surprisingly good job with that, too.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Kuiperdolin posted:

The take-based economy has gone too far.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Deakul posted:

It's not a contradiction, many assassins are villains in the lore. I wish more were in the games.

Jacob was great because he's an open-world game protagonist and his personality aligns with the gameplay open-world games encourage and reward. He's the type of guy who'd just pilfer everything that's not nailed down, break a thousand streetlights for a cheevo and put off saving the world to go check out that cool thing.

In we have a scowling dullard who's like "oh no, grave robbers", then robs graves, "oh no, Romans are killing the crocos", then stabs every last one of them from Alexandria to the source of the Nile all to make one glove with their skin, etc.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I liked Jacob

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is any of the DLC worth it? Season pass isn't on sale.

E: wait never mind, there's a gold edition for a.couple extra quid hidden away.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 10, 2018

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

fridge corn posted:

I liked Jacob

I liked Evie more. I am pretty sure that early in Origins it was planned for you to switch between Bayek and Aya but alas it was limited to the endgame.

Edit: And if they wanted to make Discovery Tour interesting, give it no-fighting, crime solving quests like the Deadly Crimes. Doing those quests as Evie was the closest we'll get to an Agatha Christie game that's worth a drat.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Clearly the correct way to play them was with Jacob in the deerstalker outfit.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
OK, already in love with Syndicate. It's got just enough new stuff to tingle my brain, unlike the jump from Black Flag to Rogue, but still Ubi lists that make me want to collect everything. :allears:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Kuiperdolin posted:

Clearly the correct way to play them was with Jacob in the deerstalker outfit.

I mean, the outfit is correct, but obviously Jacob's style of solving a crime would be to beat up whoever happened to be standing closest to the scene when he gets there.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

xarph posted:

I liked Evie more. I am pretty sure that early in Origins it was planned for you to switch between Bayek and Aya but alas it was limited to the endgame.

Edit: And if they wanted to make Discovery Tour interesting, give it no-fighting, crime solving quests like the Deadly Crimes. Doing those quests as Evie was the closest we'll get to an Agatha Christie game that's worth a drat.

really? How would that work with the plot? Its mostly Aya working behind the scenes doing boring political poo poo while Bayek murders the poo poo out of people until the ships come into play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm guessing there's no significant difference in the twins, despite the skill trees?