Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Dallan Invictus posted:

Can someone clear up how evasion works now? I'm used to tabletop where the number of hexes you move determines how much of a penalty exists to hit you, but I get the impression that evasion is subtly different?

I've been raging a LOT at streamers deciding to just be all "stand and deliver" once a fight starts but maybe I have it wrong myself?

Certain terrain and pilot abilities give you actual damage reduction against attacks, which tends to be better than evasion.

This is also because evasion modifiers are actually stacking pips and every time you're shot at, you lose one pip. That Spider with the +5 to hit can be taken out with focused fire since after a couple of half hearted pot shots his way he actually only has a +3 to hit, etc.

The Sensor Lock ability also plain takes two evasion charges off its target.

Movement is still very important, but as you said - subtly different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Dallan Invictus posted:

Can someone clear up how evasion works now? I'm used to tabletop where the number of hexes you move determines how much of a penalty exists to hit you, but I get the impression that evasion is subtly different?

I've been raging a LOT at streamers deciding to just be all "stand and deliver" once a fight starts but maybe I have it wrong myself?

As you move you'll accumulate evasion charges (-10% to hit per), more with more distance, jumping builds them faster and they only last until your next activation. So far, so Tabletop.

The differences are that you are limited to 4 max by default and you lose 1 charge every time you are attacked (even if the attack misses, number of weapons fired at you doesn't matter).

But evasion also stacks with the damage reduction kind of defense - there's cover (25%), which is entirely terrain based, and guarded (50% damage reduction) which you can get either by giving up your shooting action or having a certain pilot skill and not moving (they don't stack). What a lot of people seem to not grasp is that 50% damage reduction is going to help you a lot more than one or two evasion charges.

There's also no penalty to your own accuracy if you've moved unlike TT - so unless you have Bulwark, you always want to move as far as you can without breaking your optimal distance/cover/Line of Sight. Standing still without Bulwark is....kind of like standing still in Tabletop, but worse because you don't even get the benefit of being more accurate that way.

You can also get rid of and ignore the various defenses in various ways, which helps a lot with making fights more dynamic.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 22, 2018

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Bulwark seems rediculously good, especially on the larger mechs which have a fairly limited ability to generate evasion unless you're jumping your max range every turn, which is a significant heat investment. You can still rotate while bulwarked so you can casually shield your damaged components and tank a huge amount of fire. The disparity in usefulness between bulwark's 50% straight up damage reduction with a few caveats vs. evasive movement adding just 10% more evasion (which can be stripped) is quite significant.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I think Piloting compensates by having an equally ridiculous 2nd tier ability (move after shooting) and fantastic passives (more evasion charges max?!), while Guts gets...melee pushes the target back one initiative.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Kiva/Isulder has said that she is considering having Juggernaut and Bulwark swapped.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Yeah, guts seems like a great initial skill to invest in if only for the incredible survivability increase of bulwark and +1hp. After that gunnery seems to be a great investment for a short range brawler such as an Orion or Atlas while grabbing piloting and finishing guts is great for a melee oriented mech.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Kiva/Isulder has said that she is considering having Juggernaut and Bulwark swapped.

That would make me very sad because I'd have to get a useless bad skill to get the best skill, but I guess it's more balanced. I'd still probably get it for most mechwarriors but it does make it more appealing to have a dedicated breaching shot LRM pilot.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Something Beagle mentioned that I would like to see implemented in the future / in a following game is seeing a (even procgen) portrait&name for opforce Mechwarriors. Even better if the procgen pilots that survive can be faced again when fighting against the same enemy faction.

I feel like this would add a lot of character / emerging gameplay potentials with little additional effort (as the procgen pilots system is already there for the potential hires and even existing enemies have a "role" assigned to them based on their strong point).

At the moment the opfor is a bit impersonal, unless it's a main plot mission.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 23, 2018

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
That'd be neat. A mini-Nemesis system.

One of the best things in MechAssault 2 were the occasional OpForce banter where the Wobbies would be:

:shobon: "Don't worry, the captain will get 'em!"
:gonk: "The captain's dead!"

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
How long will we have to wait from release to Battletech: Dragonfall, which I presume is a Kuritan campaign during the clan invasion through to about the fall of Luthien? So many more shiny robots to come.

I'm not sure what the Hong Kong analogue would be, but by that point maybe the balance issue for larger player forces (it being tedious juggling the enemy so they don't trickle in and instantly die OR needing to turn everything into assaults) will have been figured out, even if it just means we can occasionally negotiate additional support as part of some contracts rather than getting full additional deployment slots. Several of the story missions streamed already have allied, even controllable, NPCs, so it seems rather doable once the heat is off from the initial release.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

MilkmanLuke posted:

It's pretty much what you think. Going further is more evasion. Evasion pips are cumulative penalties to hit. Jumping adds evasion as well. Each shot at you (hit or miss) strips one pip.

Its just that now you can hunker down and get straight up damage reduction, which is much better than a pip of evasion.

Further to this, you are capped at 4 Evasion max with low skill pilots, which equates to roughly 20% difficulty to hit.

A forest provides 25% damage reduction to ALL attacks coming from the front and sides. So if you are in a slower mech and already in a forest, sometimes it is better to sit still. (Also some streamers have been misinformed by twitch chat that moving penalises your own shooting. This is totally incorrect.)

That said, the ShadowHawk in the starter lance can move fast enough to build 4 stacks of evasion and still shoot really easily.

Once you level up your piloting skill, you can pick up Evasive Pilot as your first ability, which gives you a free evasion stack just for moving, right after that you can increase the amount of stacks you can hold. A high skille pilot can have 6 stacks of evasion.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

One of the best things in MechAssault 2 were the occasional OpForce banter where the Wobbies would be:

It totally works if you take the 'futuristic knights jousting' element of the setting and play that up. Most of the time mechwarriors survive having their ride shot out from under them. You can totally play it that combatants regularly face each other.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Alchenar posted:

It totally works if you take the 'futuristic knights jousting' element of the setting and play that up. Most of the time mechwarriors survive having their ride shot out from under them. You can totally play it that combatants regularly face each other.

I mean, it would be weird to face a dispossessed pirate or bandit in a new ride, even if they're a leader; and I assume we'll be running into returning bad guys in the main story missions.

But even just a memorable pilot portrait or name, especially if mixed up with some :thatsbattletech: happening, could go a long way into giving procgen enemies a lot of character.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

PoptartsNinja posted:

Seriously, Ace Combat style banter from the other side responding to what you're doing is amazing and always on my desperate wishlist for games like this

Fighting EXALT in xcom 2012 you got those lines sometimes and even as limited as they were it made them way more fun to fight than otherwise

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

:siren: Something Awful Battletech Launch Tournament! :siren:

Seeing as the game is about to launch, and everyone is hype as gently caress for it. We want to run a friendly multiplayer tournament to set the foundation for a fun pvp scene in the game.

HBS are really keen for a competitive scene for the game, with Solaris Arena still on the cards and their recent hiring of network engineers to help them make sure that their multiplayer is cheatproof.

In preparation, lets smash some mechs into each other and learn the game.

Tournament Rules

1. Stock Mechs Only
2. 25 Million C-Bill Limit
3. This is a quickfire tournament, so you have 48 hours from the pairings being posted to organise and play your round.
4. Winner gets bragging rights

Signup sheet is here. Signups are open until Tuesday 24th of April. I will post the pairings when the game is released.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Phrosphor posted:

I'll be ready to cheer you noble goons up - I'm travelling and I won't be able to guarantee my presence. Do we know if there is a spectator mode for MP?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Remember that one pirate in Crimson Skies who you kept shooting down over several missions and he kept getting more and more mad at you, until all his banter devolved into angry shouting?

Recreating something like that would be neat.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

evilmiera posted:

Remember that one pirate in Crimson Skies who you kept shooting down over several missions and he kept getting more and more mad at you, until all his banter devolved into angry shouting?

Recreating something like that would be neat.

Ace Motherfucking Dixon :allears::

"And don't you bother bailing out, cause I'll pop that chute like a belt buckle! :argh:"
"Not again! NOT BLOODY AGAAAAAIIIINNN. :gonk:"*

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Galaga Galaxian posted:

"And don't you bother bailing out, cause I'll pop that chute like a belt buckle! :argh:"

Or Burrs Black Cobras in MW4:M, who only reappear if you explicitly wipe out the first Lance you engage. And they let you know they've taken jobs just to get at you

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Phrosphor posted:

aww yiss, i am getting right in on this poo poo we are gonna have a good time tuesday cannot come soon enough

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yep, looked up the name just now. The VA nailed it and it just worked so perfectly, building your own little story arc of him starting out somewhat threatening... And then you just dunk on him over and over.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Galaga Galaxian posted:

RabidWeasel posted:

That would make me very sad because I'd have to get a useless bad skill to get the best skill, but I guess it's more balanced. I'd still probably get it for most mechwarriors but it does make it more appealing to have a dedicated breaching shot LRM pilot.
While a bulwark swap would be a huge loving deal to how fragile your outnumbered lance is, I do wonder what would happen just because my insane twisty straw logic thinks about how much easier it could potentially make a lot of the early game too.

Something I was reminded of with what partial hunks of Beagle's streams I've sat down and watched so far. Not his Orion soaking fire in that big brawl against a ton of 1/4 armor mechs.

The overall multi mission trend of Beaglerush forgetting/having to be reminded of that enemies had guarded status. A big deal towards trying and failing to crack open a seemingly vulnerable section with precision shots.

If early low skull mission enemies couldn't ever get bulwark, would the benefits to your killing efficiency balance out the loss of using one of your pilots to bulwark tank in the early game? Or would the raw volume of enemies still make it a net loss rather than a sidegrade meta shake up?

Enemy skills seem to be a big loving deal, even their passive gains. But since so many people know literally 1,000 times more about Battletech than me? I just sort of naively assume nobody should be surprised by the results. Like when blowing all your moral to absolutely gently caress up heavy mech's pilot and then turn their ride weaponless Popsicle still doesn't kill the pilot :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 23, 2018

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Phrosphor posted:

Seeing as the game is about to launch, and everyone is hype as gently caress for it. We want to run a friendly multiplayer tournament to set the foundation for a fun pvp scene in the game.

HBS are really keen for a competitive scene for the game, with Solaris Arena still on the cards and their recent hiring of network engineers to help them make sure that their multiplayer is cheatproof.

In preparation, lets smash some mechs into each other and learn the game.

Tournament Rules

1. Stock Mechs Only
2. 25 Million C-Bill Limit
3. This is a quickfire tournament, so you have 48 hours from the pairings being posted to organise and play your round.
4. Winner gets bragging rights

Signup sheet is here. Signups are open until Tuesday 24th of April. I will post the pairings when the game is released.

I haven't played any of the beta at all, so I'm 100% ready to get my poo poo kicked in. I've got an unavoidable commitment coming up in a few (four) weeks, will this be wrapped up by then?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Strobe posted:

I haven't played any of the beta at all, so I'm 100% ready to get my poo poo kicked in. I've got an unavoidable commitment coming up in a few (four) weeks, will this be wrapped up by then?

Should be easily over, we want it to be a quick tournament for fun while no-one really knows what they are doing.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Phrosphor posted:

Further to this, you are capped at 4 Evasion max with low skill pilots, which equates to roughly 20% difficulty to hit.evasion.

It's 40% which is quite a lot better (+2 difficulty per pip, each + or - difficulty is 5%) - and it stacks with light mechs "I am small" bonus. 4 Pips is already a coin-toss four anyone shooting you (at least it is if the target is a light mech), which is very good. But taking 20% off the top for 2 pips? That's still pretty good odds you're gonna eat big damage. Better Brace that up. Or at the very least only take a shot at 2 pips if you also have cover.

On the potential Juggernaut and Bulwark swap - it sort of make sense because Bulwark is so strong, but it would probably have huge impact on the early game balance in ways you'd need a lot of play time or be a lead designer to anticipate.

vvv At 6 Pips you are basically Phantom Meching this poo poo.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 23, 2018

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Phrosphor posted:

Further to this, you are capped at 4 Evasion max with low skill pilots, which equates to roughly 20% difficulty to hit.

A forest provides 25% damage reduction to ALL attacks coming from the front and sides. So if you are in a slower mech and already in a forest, sometimes it is better to sit still. (Also some streamers have been misinformed by twitch chat that moving penalises your own shooting. This is totally incorrect.)

That said, the ShadowHawk in the starter lance can move fast enough to build 4 stacks of evasion and still shoot really easily.

Once you level up your piloting skill, you can pick up Evasive Pilot as your first ability, which gives you a free evasion stack just for moving, right after that you can increase the amount of stacks you can hold. A high skille pilot can have 6 stacks of evasion.

^^^^^ edit: beaten on evasion

I thought each evasion pip was a 10% malus to hit, not 5%? Also, even with the Evasive Movement and good Piloting, evasion buildup is restricted to the speed of the mech, so it becomes progressively worse compared to Bulwark as you use heavier mechs. Then again, Mult-Shot and Breaching Shot may become more of a thing, if the AI can use it right.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I'm like Kai Allard Liao levels of thirsty for this poo poo

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Tournament info added to the 2nd post Phrosphor. Thanks for going to the trouble.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

That Italian Guy posted:

Yeah I think atm there's a bug where you can just stack all the armor you want front/back without limitation.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah it's a known bug but the fix won't be in for launch unfortunately.

sebmojo posted:

People are going to hate it when that gets fixed, won't it be a big difficulty increase?

Is there an easy way to tell what the limit should be so that we can stay inside it? It’ll irk me if I build cool mechs and then the day 1/2/whenever patch invalidates my designs.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DatonKallandor posted:

On the potential Juggernaut and Bulwark swap - it sort of make sense because Bulwark is so strong, but it would probably have huge impact on the early game balance in ways you'd need a lot of play time or be a lead designer to anticipate.
True enough. Though I feel it's pretty safe to muse "Would this make certain things easier in some ways instead of being nothing but pure difficulty spike? WHO KNOWS". Far less extreme than so many stream audience members making bold declarations that the game as a whole is far too easy over every one dumb move the AI makes to every four moves it makes that fucks up one of your mechs.

Don't forget to give yourself 20 lashes if all your lance injuries in a mission are pure chance headshots you suffer while at 4 and up evasive pips, that's playing like a streamer after all.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 23, 2018

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Right above the armor section, it will say Max X.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
This is just fan theorycrafting, but something I'd like to see about the OpFor MechWarriors is something akin to a Nemesis System that generates mercenary opponent outfits.

So let's say at the start of the game it will generate you five other mercenary outfits: for an example, let's say one is Goon Company. Their leader is a real nice guy. And when you're opposing them mid-battle he'll ask for clearance to withdraw. You can either agree, or say no. Because he's a real nice guy he'll be very pleased when you say "sure, :getout:", and then when you face him on a later contract he'll send a message saying "I'm glad we're facing you, at least I can trust you to be honorable." Likewise, if the shoe is on the other foot he'll let you withdraw with no hesitation, and if he captures some of your MechWarriors he'll even send them back to you with no fuss or ransom (a nicety you can return).

On the other hand, you have, say, Sky's Shitheads, whose commander is a real dick. He'll ask you for permission to withdraw then send you a real dickhead message saying "you loving idiot don't think I'll thank you for this prick." And he'll pretty much never let you withdraw without maybe a bribe. Next time you face them, he'll say "you let me withdraw last time and you'll regret it this time, prepare to die." And maybe sometimes when you capture one of his MechWarriors they'll just straight up say "can you hire me, I don't want to go back to him." Sending them back and selling their request to defect out is basically the only thing that he'll like because he wants to get vengeance upon them for even thinking about betraying him.

Likewise maybe you'll have contracts where you're working with someone and if the honorable dude really likes you he'll come riding on on a metal babby to save your rear end, and if you're with the dick and something goes wrong with his forces he'll go ballistic on you like "YOU MOTHERFUCKER DIDN'T DO ENOUGH TO HELP ME."

Something that would let you build up situations akin to the Wolf's Dragoons/Waco Rangers, where you do something and suddenly you have a nemesis. Or allies.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Back Hack posted:

Right above the armor section, it will say Max X.

Cool!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

UberJew posted:

Seriously, Ace Combat style banter from the other side responding to what you're doing is amazing and always on my desperate wishlist for games like this

Fighting EXALT in xcom 2012 you got those lines sometimes and even as limited as they were it made them way more fun to fight than otherwise

I'm losING CONTROL OF THE SITUATION was always a blast

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Sky Shadowing posted:

nemesis stuff

A whole honor/dishonor/nemesis system, where your behavior towards an enemy changes your relationship with them and their faction, seems like something rather outside this game's design goals.

For a Dragonfall-esque Clan Invasion expansion, however...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Coucho Marx posted:

A whole honor/dishonor/nemesis system, where your behavior towards an enemy changes your relationship with them and their faction, seems like something rather outside this game's design goals.

For a Dragonfall-esque Clan Invasion expansion, however...

Yeah it's HBS's proven track record with sequels and learning from missteps that has me hype for the future of the game. From what I've seen on streams I know it'll be better at the offing than Shadowrun Returns was, equivalently :v:

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Kitfox88 posted:

I'm losING CONTROL OF THE SITUATION was always a blast

Again, MW4:M managed it and it was great. "Mercenary SCUM, prepare for battle" :monocle:

Glitch is currently the Best Pilot just for her chatter. Shes so excited :3:

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Just thinking about the game in the future. We could run a builders league on SA. Start off with four light mechs, then every-week get a sum of money that raises the max value of your lance, so you can buy new mechs or customise your current ones.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Paingod556 posted:

Again, MW4:M managed it and it was great. "Mercenary SCUM, prepare for battle" :monocle:

Glitch is currently the Best Pilot just for her chatter. Shes so excited :3:

I really wanna play MW4M but I cannot for the life of me find a control scheme that makes it not miserable to play. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Phrosphor posted:

It seems like a Shadow Hawk would be a good "scout" mech for a much heavier lance. It's strong enough to eat lights, fast enough to keep good evasion and sturdy enough to take punishment while still staying in the "medium" weight for initiative. As well as having a decent melee profile (and some support slots) if you really want to punch someone in the back.

Phrosphor posted:

Just thinking about the game in the future. We could run a builders league on SA. Start off with four light mechs, then every-week get a sum of money that raises the max value of your lance, so you can buy new mechs or customise your current ones.

I wonder if you could run all the battles as AI vs. AI, and let the RNG play your terrible lance comp.