Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
So my party is going to meet a silver dragon next session, and he's the step-dad of one of the PCs. I love the idea that he's a philanderer who sleeps around (and hence why he's the PC's step-dad), but I want to make this poo poo extra silly. What's a good idea for an extremely powerful being who doesn't give a gently caress, but will help the PCs because he just loves his step-son so much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

inthesto posted:

So my party is going to meet a silver dragon next session, and he's the step-dad of one of the PCs. I love the idea that he's a philanderer who sleeps around (and hence why he's the PC's step-dad), but I want to make this poo poo extra silly. What's a good idea for an extremely powerful being who doesn't give a gently caress, but will help the PCs because he just loves his step-son so much?

Anything he helps with should be hilariously simple for him, beyond even Deus ex Machina levels, but as hard as possible for the PCs. You want him to be helping not because he gives a gently caress, but because he's genuinely trying to figure out why they so badly want him to do something so easy.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

MonsterEnvy posted:

Did this turn out well.

It did! My character is an annoying poo poo, and I got beaten several times by guards and the like, so, success! There was a bit of a lull in the middle (we spent a long time discussing how to escape and what plan to take, I think the DM expected us to play good prisoners for a few more days to gather information, but we got impatient). We ended the session fleeing for our lives and confronted by a large group of goblins, I ran head of the group and the ranger cast jump on me while I cast darkness on the group and literally leaped into the middle of them all, punches flying everywhere. (I'm a melee fisticuffs warlock with Devil's Sight)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
He "gives" tickets to his son to spend the day with him and his mother at a special exhibition at the fighting pits(she hates them maybe?). He's passive aggressive about it if they won't agree but will help earnestly if he goes and make a nice day of it.

Something wild happens at the pits and he tries to use it as a teaching moment.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Has anyone ever ran any real life timers to push combat along? We had an erupting volcano that would keep expanding every five real life minutes, increasing the lava hazard area and when getting to certain places would trigger various nasty environmental effects. It was really stressful, but really fun, we weren't able to do that sit back and analyze everything we do sometimes and were reacting quickly and getting our turns ready before they came to us. The one guy who never looks up until it's his turn was having a panic attack though. Anyway, it was fun for the one encounter but has anyone seen this implemented, or something similar, for combat across the board to keep things moving?

We did that with White Plume Mountain, there was a room with boiling mud at the bottom of a pit that would erupt every 2 minutes.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

ElMaligno posted:

So yesterday I discovered that a Rogue can take two Dash actions in a turn, thanks to Cunning action. And the Tabaxi racial ability lets her double its movement speed until the end of the round. 240 goddamn feet in a round. Or 120 goddam feet if you want to stab some one

Here is my cat Tabaxi rogue archaeologist seeing that there is still more stabbing to be done on the other side of the goddamned bridge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVO9CS8D4hQ

I was under the impression that comically outpacing everyone all the time was the primary use case for clever action. So Tabaxi is a natural combo with it.

P.S. Be sure to cue up the Dark Knight Rises clip where Bane says “Time to go mobile.”for when you do this.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 22, 2018

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

What do you guys play for your games?

I'm gonna be playing Dopesmoker by Sleep, some psychedelic electronic stuff, phillip glass, steve reich and some generic fantasy music.

Any suggestions?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Getting a lot of mileage out of video game music. Castlevania is basically nerd shorthand for "time to gently caress up some zombies" Old school poo poo keeps it fun.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I feel like castlevania the tempo is a little too manic for gameplaying but I could be wrong I'm not super familiar with the soundtrack beyond playing through symphony of the night.

Definitely getting som John Carpenter in there.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I use it for fight music mostly tbh. All my other friends use soundboards designed for nerd night but I'm a dork so I hand pick tracks.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

That's the right thing to do.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
the only time I've ever heard music during roleplaying was someone naming their character (a bandit) Shadow. and he'd never played ff6 so that theme got played every single time he did something stupid (i.e. all the time)

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

mastershakeman posted:

the only time I've ever heard music during roleplaying was someone naming their character (a bandit) Shadow. and he'd never played ff6 so that theme got played every single time he did something stupid (i.e. all the time)

the wrong thing to do

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I use the nonvocal tracks from the game Pyre as some loosely-used themes for combat. My players haven't mentioned catching onto it, but the same enemy groups (like say, the Zhentarim) get the same backing track.

I'm particularly fond of Will of the Scribes as the backing track for whenever great feats of magic are occurring. My party's cleric just pulled off a Divine Intervention from his God of Death, and I used this while describing its effects.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Hand of Fate soundtrack is excellent if some middle-easty feeling exotica vibe doesn't throw you out of your world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGOmSqBiuz8

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Hand of Fate soundtrack is excellent if some middle-easty feeling exotica vibe doesn't throw you out of your world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGOmSqBiuz8

This actually sounds like how a lot of Fearun feels to me. Nice!

Edit: this is perfect, not too intrusive but nice timbre and tone all around

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 23, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Here is a very low quality Mords tome of Foes preview form a stream. The Grey Render which if you can actually read it is interesting.

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
It's a sack of hit points with a claw/claw/bite. Interesting?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It can also attack anyone within melee entirely at random as a... "counter". How exciting! :geno:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dragonatrix posted:

It can also attack anyone within melee entirely at random as a... "counter". How exciting! :geno:

I was talking about it's fluff. The Monster itself is pretty basic.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

kidkissinger posted:

What do you guys play for your games?

I'm gonna be playing Dopesmoker by Sleep, some psychedelic electronic stuff, phillip glass, steve reich and some generic fantasy music.

Any suggestions?

For some fantasy vibe current music check out Schlemish, Corvus Corax, Heilung, Wardruna, Faun, (and some others I cant think of now).

On the electronic side for more downtempo stuff try Desert Dwellers, Living Light, Kalya Scintilla. Maybe Biome for some droning background stuff.

For some "shits getting intense and weird" psych music try Language Love.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

MonsterEnvy posted:

I was talking about it's fluff. The Monster itself is pretty basic.

5e_mm.txt

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

He "gives" tickets to his son to spend the day with him and his mother at a special exhibition at the fighting pits(she hates them maybe?). He's passive aggressive about it if they won't agree but will help earnestly if he goes and make a nice day of it.

Something wild happens at the pits and he tries to use it as a teaching moment.

This rules and it is now happening

Also smdh if you don't use metal covers of classical music as your boss music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZuSaudKc68

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
My players are all seasoned music bros so if I choose Wardruna or any metal it becomes story time about "dude, do you remember when we ran into Gaahl at the viking museum" or "reminds me of when we were hiding from Earth Crisis fans when we used the mcdonalds bathroom" and then everything goes sideways.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I just got magical secrets on my lvl 6 bard and I have analysis paralysis. Help.

edit: looking at find familiar and counterspell...thoughts?

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 23, 2018

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Wagner leitmotifs work hella good for various events.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Demons Souls music can be pretty excellent. Creepy crawler enemies can be paired up with that Leechmonger track pretty well.

I wouldn't go far past Demons though because that series gets bogged down in the grandiose choir pretty quickly. I hear good things about Kings Field 4 music, though.

Fable has also treated me fairly well for ambience.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Have a 'quirky miniboss squad' like Team Rocket in your game that keeps recurring (or recurring members of the same organisation - again, Team Rocket).

Play a different version of the Gourmet Race from Kirby every time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAByWyvuu7s

Have them eventually be the final boss.
Play the Brawl version of Gourmet Race.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvjPa4RnSxY

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If you need some really dramatic poo poo for palaces or wars, consider Philip Glass's opera about Akhenaten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAiv-LU82t4

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

inthesto posted:

This rules and it is now happening
lol please tell us how it goes

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
... I think I want to convert my 2e game to 5e without restarting. I know I probably could, but not sure if I should. I know that my players would be able to know more, because right now they roll and are like "is that good? idk". The way you target specific numbers regardless of THAC0 and stuff would be pleasant. Honestly they just like the narrative, the combat and skills bits are for me. I know they'd have to learn a bunch more abilities, but I also have class-specific charsheets with the info right on them.

I don't know. Right now a few of my players get bored during the inevitable combat stretches because their characters aren't especially built that way, and their options are so limited. If my Bard could do cool Inspiration stuff instead of just running out of spells and doing nothing, he'd probably be a lot happier. He just did like ... an unironic useless Countersong just to play his bagpipes.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 23, 2018

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Fifth sounds like it's more in your group's wheelhouse but are they married to Dungeons and Dragons at all? Maybe an even more rules-light thing like Dungeon World would be a better fit.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Firstborn posted:

... I think I want to convert my 2e game to 5e without restarting. I know I probably could, but not sure if I should. I know that my players would be able to know more, because right now they roll and are like "is that good? idk". The way you target specific numbers regardless of THAC0 and stuff would be pleasant. Honestly they just like the narrative, the combat and skills bits are for me. I know they'd have to learn a bunch more abilities, but I also have class-specific charsheets with the info right on them.

I don't know. Right now a few of my players get bored during the inevitable combat stretches because their characters aren't especially built that way, and their options are so limited. If my Bard could do cool Inspiration stuff instead of just running out of spells and doing nothing, he'd probably be a lot happier. He just did like ... an unironic useless Countersong just to play his bagpipes.

Honestly if your bard is the one getting bored in 2e he will have a blast moving to 5e.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Have you brought up switching systems at all? If the players are unattached to the system and just like their characters' stories then, presuming they trust your judgement enough to buy in based on your word, I think it will be fine.

*sings the gentle hymn of the demon lord*

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Yeah, the consensus seems to be "i know nothing of d&d and you tell me what dice to roll and what happens, i dont care i just like the story and my character", and then when my rogue, bard, and even my druid get into combats they quickly grow bored. My paladin is happy swinging away, but my others players much prefer the narrative anyway. I just think, that if I could have that nice "bounded accuracy" where they generally know "i roll this, add this, and this number is the target" is more fun for them than me rolling stuff, different numbers are successes for everyone, and maybe they think I'm fudging it.

Like mostly I'm just curating the experience. It's a selfish move to go to 5e because I bought the PHB and starter set and would probably find it running a little smoother. My players are also the type that would say "i make an investigation roll" and have that be fine as opposed to explaining just how they search everything. I don't know. Spitballing.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

inthesto posted:

Also smdh if you don't use metal covers of classical music as your boss music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZuSaudKc68

I like the cut of your jib, and raise you some Etrian Odyssey music.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheFabulousTroupe/playlists has a bunch of different takes on the various Etrian series soundtracks, all of which are Wizardry-inspired dungeon crawlers. I haven't listened to all of them, but there's metal covers, prototype versions, super arrange stuff, pretty much the gamut outside of the actual tracks. Even then, Ragnar Homsar and Dr. Fetus have been doing various Etrian LPs over in that forum for a bit, and they both have links to the soundtracks in their updates.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Firstborn posted:

Yeah, the consensus seems to be "i know nothing of d&d and you tell me what dice to roll and what happens, i dont care i just like the story and my character", and then when my rogue, bard, and even my druid get into combats they quickly grow bored. My paladin is happy swinging away, but my others players much prefer the narrative anyway. I just think, that if I could have that nice "bounded accuracy" where they generally know "i roll this, add this, and this number is the target" is more fun for them than me rolling stuff, different numbers are successes for everyone, and maybe they think I'm fudging it.

Like mostly I'm just curating the experience. It's a selfish move to go to 5e because I bought the PHB and starter set and would probably find it running a little smoother. My players are also the type that would say "i make an investigation roll" and have that be fine as opposed to explaining just how they search everything. I don't know. Spitballing.

If they're not into grid combat or whatever, a wilder departure to something like dungeon world might be in order. They'll get a little more say in what exists in the world around them and combat plays out more like a movie scene than a nerdy chess match. (Author's note: I like nerdy chess.)

It's a pretty different way to rpg game but I'd suggest checking it out. The idea of a gm making moves is something I use across games now.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I have decided to become this thread’s Crochety Old Man

In MY day, players were human, dwarf, halfling, or elf. None of this nonsense about half demon or half dragon. Or half-whatever the gently caress you kids are playing now. And there was only ONE kind of elf.

And a man could decide to become a face-stabbing man, and have a long, successful career as a valued party member, stabbing faces.

Welp thanks for reading, there will be more to come

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Firstborn posted:

If that's the way your group rolls then Dungeon World will make them way happier than DnD5e.
Like there's other popular alternatives (13th Age, SotDL) but if most of your players just do not care how well-designed a combat system is, Dungeon World is the way to go right now if they still want that 'generic DnD fantasy' experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My only advice when it comes to switching systems mid-campaign, besides making sure that you have the consent of all involved, is that you should not get hung up with trying to do a 1-to-1 mechanical conversion.