Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

So this will be a turn based version of Mechcommander?
Still got the original booklet from that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Cardiac posted:

So this will be a turn based version of Mechcommander?
Still got the original booklet from that game.

Essentially, with the extra mechanical depth afforded by being turn-based and with significantly more to the whole 'running a merc company' aspect.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Also being produced by the same guy behind MechCommander too.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Yo clownshoes log back into your MWO accounts and stomp some robutts. You losers have nothing else to lose until Tuesday so might as well ride the mech nostalgia train straight to hell until then. Probably won't hurt that the game is actually pretty good these days.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Axetrain posted:

Yo clownshoes log back into your MWO accounts and stomp some robutts. You losers have nothing else to lose until Tuesday so might as well ride the mech nostalgia train straight to hell until then. Probably won't hurt that the game is actually pretty good these days.

No

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jack Trades posted:

Has anyone who pre-ordered this game from GMG gotten their keys yet?

I ordered on fanatical and got the key a couple hours ago, no signs of preloading tho so I'll have to download the whole shebang tomorrow.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

GMG tweeted saying keys should be released later today.

oschesar
Apr 22, 2006

Pain or damage don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back. -Al Swearengen
Shiny Globule

Axetrain posted:

Is ghost heat still a thing?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Maybe Poptarts or other BT gurus can answer this: As I was playing MekHQ, I decided to try playing during the 1st Succession War. Besides having to fiddle with the rules a bit and figuring out how a lot of them work, it made me realize how few details are available on the war itself, or even most of them aside from the 4th and the tail-end of the 3rd. I'm guessing there are books out there with a few more stories and general layout of the war, but all I'm finding are things like "The Kentares massacre happened" and "about this time technology started to decline." Trying to run a campaign during the era seems hard, especially since there are these little tidbits added like how during the 3rd war the neo-feudalist things we see during the later years started popping up... but at the same time it doesn't look all that different from any of the earlier eras?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

evilmiera posted:

Maybe Poptarts or other BT gurus can answer this: As I was playing MekHQ, I decided to try playing during the 1st Succession War. Besides having to fiddle with the rules a bit and figuring out how a lot of them work, it made me realize how few details are available on the war itself, or even most of them aside from the 4th and the tail-end of the 3rd. I'm guessing there are books out there with a few more stories and general layout of the war, but all I'm finding are things like "The Kentares massacre happened" and "about this time technology started to decline." Trying to run a campaign during the era seems hard, especially since there are these little tidbits added like how during the 3rd war the neo-feudalist things we see during the later years started popping up... but at the same time it doesn't look all that different from any of the earlier eras?

Perhaps this would help? I don't own it am not sure, but just googled it. https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/battletech-first-succession-war-pdf

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ramadu posted:

what are they on too

clans have cool elements but they're a really unpleasent bit of lore where even heroic characters tend to just be space nazis feeling the impure need to be culled and all. In the Waypoint stream they talk about shifting BT's old stereotype based universe to a more multicultural one and that's good but there's very little you can do to clans due to their weird "THE BLOOD MUST BE PURE" thing being a core part of their entire deal.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

DrPop posted:

Perhaps this would help? I don't own it am not sure, but just googled it. https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/battletech-first-succession-war-pdf

Very probably so. Unfortunately at the moment I don't even have 15 bucks :(

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Regarding balancing SL era tech, one thing Kiva mentioned is that (story spoilers) they exist and are completely irreplaceable in the campaign, if you lose a double heatsinks it's gone forever

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm trying to get a friend to split the cost with me because I'm a cheap fucker, do we know if the story is just an extremely bare-bones framework to get us fighting robots, or is it actually fairly involving with characters and stuff?

Not asking for anything dumb like a Bioware game but just something like the XCOM stories where there's a developing plotline and major missions advance it.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Drone posted:

Didn't see this posted here yet but I love how the company customization screen has a tiny little miniature painting station :3:

The Mechlabs' and Barracks' have the TT and RPG Mech/Character sheets on the screens respectively. :allears:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Regarding balancing SL era tech, one thing Kiva mentioned is that (story spoilers) they exist and are completely irreplaceable in the campaign, if you lose a double heatsinks it's gone forever

Does this mean that there is a finite number of pieces seeded into your campaign (maybe given out in story missions?) or is it just that the really old bits can’t be bought new or repaired?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Magni posted:

The Mechlabs' and Barracks' have the TT and RPG Mech/Character sheets on the screens respectively. :allears:

This is amazing. <3

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Pierson posted:

Not asking for anything dumb like a Bioware game but just something like the XCOM stories where there's a developing plotline and major missions advance it.

Got it in one! I don't know how much of any streamers you've watched to see stuff (if at all, which isn't a bad call really), but (first mission spoilers) you start out working for the heiress to the throne of a small state, when everything goes to hell and she is presumably killed in an uprising. (spoilers up to the start of a second story mission you can take very soon after) Cut to three years later and you're heading a semi-failing merc team in the middle of nowhere. After a mission, you're contacted by a mysterious benefactor who needs your help and wishes to hire you for a mission of great importance!

But yes, basically you're progressing through story missions while taking other side-missions for cash, new mechs, and exposure to better (and harder) merc contracts.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
The actual point of the game is to salvage four King Crabs and sometimes people talk at you.

Oops spoilers sorry

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Eck also mentioned on his stream that he thought it could also show up in black markets (On planets where those are a thing).

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I'm guessing yeah MekHQ hasn't updated since the 1SW (and now 2SW) sourcebooks came out.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Psion posted:

The actual point of the game is to salvage four King Crabs and sometimes people talk at you.

Oops spoilers sorry

jesus loving christ dude don't just give it away

it's not that at all, it's obviously NAH IT TOTALLY IS

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
King crab > Atlas.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

clans have cool elements but they're a really unpleasent bit of lore where even heroic characters tend to just be space nazis feeling the impure need to be culled and all. In the Waypoint stream they talk about shifting BT's old stereotype based universe to a more multicultural one and that's good but there's very little you can do to clans due to their weird "THE BLOOD MUST BE PURE" thing being a core part of their entire deal.

I don't really think that's a fair representation of Clan culture in its entirety at all. It's a lot more nuanced than that--their bullshit weird genetics aren't linked to racial or ethnic heritage, but to the 800 (multicultural) Bloodnamed. To be sure, there were some amongst the Clans (and entire Clans pretty much, like the Smoke Jaguars) who felt that way, but they got murked.

I think that the Clans and their weird-rear end society could be introduced to games just fine. I don't think they're any more or less "problematic" than the rampant misogynistic, xenophobic representations of pretty much every other person and faction in the BT universe.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Pharnakes posted:

King crab > Atlas.

This is the truth so I'm not empty quoting.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Axetrain posted:

This is the truth so I'm not empty quoting.

King Crab posted:

So I gave 'em the old CLAMPS ya see. I peeled 'em open like a can of tuna.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

That's my battletech key from GMG through.

Agreen
May 16, 2009
Someone was just asking about GMG codes? Just got the key I preordered for my brother.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Got my key from Fanatical, arrived today.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Psion posted:

Oops spoilers sorry

Great, now people are going to know that if you unite all the lost legendary King Crabs at the long forgotten shipyard, Pride of Butte Hold, you'll open a castle brian that ushers in a new golden age for mankind and you be declare Grand Duke-Khan of the new reformed Star League.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Back Hack posted:

Great, now people are going to know that if you unite all the lost legendary King Crabs at the long forgotten shipyard, Pride of Butte Hold, you'll open a castle brian that ushers in a new golden age for mankind and you be declare Grand Duke-Khan of the new reformed Star League.

Yeah but do I get an Atlas II. Otherwise no deal.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I Kickstarted just for a key way back when, how do I get that key now?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Mr E posted:

Steam keys have been available for a few days, looks like other platforms are happening now.

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average

Mr E posted:

Should be in your backerkit stuff now. Emails were sent out this weekend letting folks know the keys are there.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Do we know when the preloading is going to open up? Also what the actual release time is?

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I'll settle for a Lancelot.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Pharnakes posted:

Do we know when the preloading is going to open up? Also what the actual release time is?

Release time should be 09:00 PST on Tuesday. I imagine preload is probably around the same time today.

Wouldn't be surprised if PDX runs a going-live stream at 17:00 CEST for an hour, and ends it with the Pushing Of The Button. That's what they usually do.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Preload is available, restart Steam if you don't see it, etc.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

24 hours to go!

Well plus a few for me due to work :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Axetrain posted:

Bad game made by bad people. Bad bad. :pgi: