Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

Your pilot pronouns can be he/she/they, being inclusive of gender non-binary folks and the dumber parts of the internet lost their poo poo over it.

Why would anyone get mad about that? It is an optional menu that most likely didn't take more than a few minutes to code, maybe a few hours to test.

They can ignore it entirely and absolutely nothing will change about their experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

https://twitter.com/BATTLETECH_Game/status/988442005964574721

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
It's completely pointless to get angry about and that's why you can use it as a lovely opinion detector.

also if I've learned anything from PTN the BT universe has been written as a surprisingly inclusive space for a grog-as-gently caress TT wargame since the 80s so it's also pretty illuminating when "30 year franchise fans" lose their marbles over it.

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 23, 2018

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Gwaihir posted:

Eck also mentioned on his stream that he thought it could also show up in black markets (On planets where those are a thing).

I hope so, the completionist in me would be very annoyed if you can only get lostech from specific story missions. I don't care how rare or difficult to acquire it is as long as you can hunt it down with enough effort.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

They should retcon Kai Allard Liao as being bisexual/asexual and preferring the xim pronoun just to watch the loving meltdowns.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, I hope it's a thing base (and that I don't bankrupt myself flying around to planets scoping out markets instead of just playing the game). I guess the other hard thing for me will be not spending the first day futzing with modifying stuff too, heh.

evilmiera posted:

Why would anyone get mad about that? It is an optional menu that most likely didn't take more than a few minutes to code, maybe a few hours to test.

They can ignore it entirely and absolutely nothing will change about their experience.

Hahahahaha, yea....... To the frenzied gamergate crew, any slight option or inclusive nod that isn't directly catering to them is actually a furious attack on THEIR VIDEO GAMES and how dare these devs remind them that different people exist at all

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 23, 2018

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Gwaihir posted:

I guess the other hard thing for me will be not spending the first day futzing with modifying stuff too, heh.

my strategy on avoiding that problem is three-pronged
1) I'm gonna wait for people like phros or don to do all the mods
2) mods will maybe(?) break in 1.1 so I'm not interested in doing it twice
3) want to play the campaign and see what I've been deliberately avoiding on streams

Cyrano4747 posted:

They should retcon Kai Allard Liao as being bisexual/asexual and preferring the xim pronoun just to watch the loving meltdowns.

I haven't looked but I really wonder what the overlap is between people who argued, completely straight-faced, that HBS should "just make an option to let us have TT rules and anyone who doesn't want that can ignore it" vs the people who apparently somehow cannot ignore an option during player creation.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

O'l Billy Grayson was a more interesting character than Kai Allard ever was.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 23, 2018

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Psion posted:

It's completely pointless to get angry about and that's why you can use it as a lovely opinion detector.

also if I've learned anything from PTN the BT universe has been written as a surprisingly inclusive space for a grog-as-gently caress TT wargame since the 80s so it's also pretty illuminating when "30 year franchise fans" lose their marbles over it.

BattleTech's one universe where things like gender and sexual orientation matter less than how well you can make your robot punch the other person's robot in the face. Nobody in the universe cares so long as you do your part digging holes or making your lovely backwater colony planet a little better for kids to live in.

Hanse Davion was probably gay. Maximillian Liao seriously considered spreading rumors to that affected before deciding they wouldn't have actually discredited Hanse in any way because "Oh right, nobody in the Inner Sphere would care."

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Marthe Pryde and Diane Anu are the two best Clan characters they ever made. Rest in Power, Marthe

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hanse Davion was probably gay. Maximillian Liao seriously considered spreading rumors to that affected before deciding they wouldn't have actually discredited Hanse in any way because "Oh right, nobody in the Inner Sphere would care."

I've only read one complete BT novel (Sword and the Dagger) and it made much more sense to me when I assumed Ardan Sortek and Hanse Davion are gay for each other in a Lord Reinhard/Kircheis kinda way.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Cyrano4747 posted:

They're letting transgendered recruits into the Death Commandos now, the Clans have already won. gently caress it.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Melissa Steiner is Bae.

E: I may be daydrinking to pass the time until BATTLETECH. (!!!!)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Axetrain posted:

Melissa Steiner is Bae.

That's a weird way to spell "Cowboy" Peyton

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Psion posted:

Seriously, it's valuable it for that function alone. Kiva/Isildur doing god's work there.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Axetrain posted:

Melissa Steiner is Bae.

E: I may be daydrinking to pass the time until BATTLETECH. (!!!!)

that's a 23-hour drinking session right now isn't it? you uh

you might want to wait a few

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Drone posted:

I've only read one complete BT novel (Sword and the Dagger) and it made much more sense to me when I assumed Ardan Sortek and Hanse Davion are gay for each other in a Lord Reinhard/Kircheis kinda way.

It's never stated but fairly strongly implied.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
For every Melissa Steiner there is a Jeremiah Rose, though.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's a weird way to spell "Cowboy" Peyton

Cowboy, the person you can't help but use :allears: for every time they show up and do something

because it's always, always appropriate

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Psion posted:

that's a 23-hour drinking session right now isn't it? you uh

you might want to wait a few

Actually I plan to accelerate into it and wake up with Battletech in my hands.

Here is some unrelated boss music to keep everyone pumped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX3OVb2NN7c

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

goddamn it's on my hard drive now. Sitting there. waiting.

I have the loving bits and bytes on my computer.

Countdown timer go:

http://www.webcountdown.net/?a=uG9ZQ8W

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Here's something to pass the time: How many C-Bills would it cost to send Battletech over HPG? And would it be the most advanced strategic simulation program they've got?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Just wait until, or if, those people learn a minor fact about everyone's favorite cheerful killer, Best Girl Glitch. :haw:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

DatonKallandor posted:

Here's something to pass the time: How many C-Bills would it cost to send Battletech over HPG? And would it be the most advanced strategic simulation program they've got?

well there are two approaches to take on this question. First is "it'd take nothing" because HPGs can somehow send verigraphs, which involve actual physical hardware to scan DNA to ensure only the correct recipient can read it so a couple gigs wouldn't be a problem. Second is the Helm core was earth-shattering due to 750 whole kilobytes!!!! on K-F drive theory, so it'd take the entire treasury of at least two great houses.

Up to you, I guess.

e: as far as being the most advanced simulation, no, the BT universe has really quite good sim pods if I remember right. like full up realistic "it's drat near the same thing" ones with full range of motion, heat systems to simulate reactor heat, built up to be an exact cockpit replica of whatever mech exist, more basic "generic mech cockpit + we fake the rest with software" are very common

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 23, 2018

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Psion posted:

Cowboy, the person you can't help but use :allears: for every time they show up and do something

because it's always, always appropriate

Cowboy's the most two-dimensional character in Victor Milan's BattleTech novels, but he's a two-dimensional character written effectively and well.

The best thing is, he's the sort of character you can't really describe because "skinny white arrogant cowboy with a pronounced Adams Apple who exists primarily to get his nose broken" doesn't seem especially compelling, but then somehow is and you wind up rooting for him whenever someone's doing their level best to rip the head off his Wasp.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZWxgLQZano

NICE SHOT SIG TWO!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

goddamn it's on my hard drive now. Sitting there. waiting.

I have the loving bits and bytes on my computer.

Countdown timer go:

http://www.webcountdown.net/?a=uG9ZQ8W

Oh god, I feel like I am going to explode!

Thread - I'M GONNA STACKPOLE!

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

TAKE OUT THOSE drat LRM LAUNCHERS!

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
How am I going to unlearn all the Battletech stuff I have learned over three decades? AC5s more powerful than large lasers? No movement penalties?? Damage reduction inside woods??? Aaaaargh! :psyduck:

Still utterly psyched for tomorrow.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I see sigma lead has a new Solaris variant Mad Dog what with his fancy chin lasers.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMlJQ0G3zk4

Who the hell are these guys!

lol at an Atlas just straight up murdering a Madcat.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Tarquinn posted:

How am I going to unlearn all the Battletech stuff I have learned over three decades? AC5s more powerful than large lasers?
Whaaaaat?

Would love to see a list of all major differences if someone has something like that handy.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Axetrain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMlJQ0G3zk4

Who the hell are these guys!

lol at an Atlas just straight up murdering a Madcat.

I'm the guy who just gets loving wasted at 1:34.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I never played Battletech but I did have a technical readout for it I didn't realize was even a rule book, it just looked sweet as hell. Years later I played Mechwarrior 4 and Mechcommander 2 and put two and two together.

I'm hype for this is what I'm saying

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How big was the download? How much space does it use on disk?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

rt4 posted:

How big was the download? How much space does it use on disk?

8.6GB and ~24 GB respectively.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Man, shame on ALL of you for not posting the high point of Mechwarrior intro cinematics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4JvnQXv9UY

Think of the bright side kid. . . you get to keep all the money.

edit: also thematically appropriate for the new game.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 23, 2018

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Is anyone else not getting their key yet? I still have the mostly blank page telling me I'll get the key when the game is ready.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tempest_56 posted:

It's never stated but fairly strongly implied.

Yea they never outright say it (cowards :argh:) but Sortek and Davion are just INCREDIBLY gay coded, too much so to be an accident or the whole 'no homo it's like ancient society, famously rigidly hetrosexual ancient society' thing. Like, isn't there a prolonged part in one story about them where Sortek outright says Hanse is the only person 'worth pledging my life for' or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

vorebane posted:

Is anyone else not getting their key yet? I still have the mostly blank page telling me I'll get the key when the game is ready.

I got an email from GMG with my key about two hours ago. Maybe check your spam folder or something?