Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Looks like they couldn’t book anything in NYC. Maybe I’ll go upstate to sit on a lawn and watch Priest, that sounds kind of nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dyna Soar posted:

sure, just that it kinda seems the category was made up just for him

tbf it's guitar player, it was either gonna be him, joe satriani, or allan holdsworth

steve morse is a ridiculously good musician though

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I saw Deep Purple , Blue Oyster Cult and Kenny Wayne Shepard for free like 8 years ago at a fairgrounds kinda thing put on by a radio station. Steve Morse is ridiculous and will shred your face off, it was a good show from what I remember. Not sure if I would drop 100 bucks on going to see them though. I'm not a huge Judas Priest fan though. I do like Deep Purple a lot.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Snowy posted:

Looks like they couldn’t book anything in NYC. Maybe I’ll go upstate to sit on a lawn and watch Priest, that sounds kind of nice.

To be honest at this point sitting down casually headbanging to metal is exactly my speed. I am a grandpa.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

stab posted:

Tickets are a hundred bucks.

Yeah, Priest is charging quite a bit on this current tour.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

Yeah, Priest is charging quite a bit on this current tour.

Only so many more tours left to pay for grandkids' college/weddings.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Nail Rat posted:

Only so many more tours left to pay for grandkids' college/weddings.

And Parkinson's treatments :smith:

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I just don't bother with arena shows anymore unless it's Iron Maiden because they're always worth the ticket price. I skipped this past Judas Priest show because it was like $130 for a seat near the back of the floor. Metal isn't a rich man's hobby you jerks :argh:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Flinger posted:

And Parkinson's treatments :smith:

he still lives in england

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Malaria posted:

I'm not a huge Judas Priest fan though.

This is an insane thing to say in the metal thread imo

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well metal is a pretty insane genre

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

With spring finally (At the end of April :sigh:) here it's time for my yearly Elvenking obsession. Can y'all recommend anything else similar to their first two or three albums?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

A human heart posted:

I am also not a huge Judas Priest fan. I like them, but I only love a couple of their albums.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

MOOOODDDDDDSSSSS

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

A human heart posted:

I mean I like them. I have a bunch of their stuff on my phone even. But I wouldn't spend 100 bucks to go see them.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
priest has a ton of filler even on their best albums

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Malaria posted:

I mean I like them. I have a bunch of their stuff on my phone even. But I wouldn't spend 100 bucks to go see them.

That's fair, 90 year old Halford probably isn't very inspiring to watch

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

This thread everytime certain bands are posted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOzulXud52I

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kilometers Davis posted:

To be honest at this point sitting down casually headbanging to metal is exactly my speed. I am a grandpa.

Word. Pit Lyfe stopped being appealing to me around age 26. Now I just watch the band from the balcony with the opera glasses.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Karl Sanders, to me, on Friday: "hey, man, where's the Nile merch at?"

Fuckin' Palladium tucked Nile away in a corner and I had to show Karl where his own band's merch table was. :v:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am too short to stand back - so up front getting smooshed and my ears blasted is the experience.

I am suprised I am not deaf yet but maybe later? Been doing shows for 23 years now with no earplugs minus the Dinosaur Jr show of all things.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

I am too short to stand back - so up front getting smooshed and my ears blasted is the experience.

I am suprised I am not deaf yet but maybe later? Been doing shows for 23 years now with no earplugs minus the Dinosaur Jr show of all things.

My strategy as a short guy is to stand behind the pit for the best view and just brace myself for flying bodies

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That works too if I am not 100% on the band, hehe. There's enough of a gap between the circle pit and the front that I can see most things.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

you might have lost frequencies you don't normally use thus notice losing, but the crappy thing about hearing is that it decays with age for everyone, and repeated exposure to loud noises will make it decay faster.

so you might go deaf in your 50s and it will be too late to do anything by then.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My hearing damage is in certain frequencies that the higher chords on a guitar or screechy vocals live in, causes discomfort. It's not pain really but it leaves me reaching to turn the volume down or lower those frequencies on an equalizer. As a result I enjoy bassy music a lot more.

I really only listened to loud music without earplugs in my teenage years, once I got into my 20's I cranked the stereo less and used earplugs at concerts. Thought I was fine until my late 30's when the tinnitus started and the high frequency sensitivity became apparent.

So yeah, your ears are probably hosed and you just don't know it yet.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m old and fragile and I go to a lot of shows at Saint Vitus with my one legged pal. He doesn’t give a poo poo so he drags a barstool up to the front of the stage at the side. It’s right in front of the music but usually safe enough from the pit. I just squish in with him over there somewhere, sometimes practically standing on the stage. I’m old and don’t wanna get hurt but I also want to be close enough to touch the equipment. Maybe I should just bring my glasses but in the meantime I’ll be up front.

This close:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
use earplugs, people

get a decent set and they sound great, and can make small venues that are extremely loud actually sound better.

if you got the time/money (it's really not that expensive, maybe $50 to get the impression made, and the cost of the plugs themselves which you can get made over and over again without getting a new mold), you can go to an audiologist who will take an impression of your ear and get you fitted with custom plugs. https://www.etymotic.com/storelocator will help you locate the place.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

use earplugs, people

get a decent set and they sound great, and can make small venues that are extremely loud actually sound better.

if you got the time/money (it's really not that expensive, maybe $50 to get the impression made, and the cost of the plugs themselves which you can get made over and over again without getting a new mold), you can go to an audiologist who will take an impression of your ear and get you fitted with custom plugs. https://www.etymotic.com/storelocator will help you locate the place.
I saw Nightwish (yeah, yeah) way up front at L'amour in like 2002 and was really mad at the venue's sound guy for making the band sound like poo poo. Turned out they sounded fine once I moved to the back :shobon:

I still remember Soilwork in 2005 being the last show I ever attended without earplugs, because I still have tinnitus from that show.

e: Etymotics are great but in a pinch you can usually find cheap silicone musicians' earplugs like these in big chain drugstores:
https://www.amazon.com/Macks-Hear-Plugs-High-Fidelity/dp/B004MCWVHC

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 24, 2018

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

How is hearing aid technology these days? :lol:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m always mixed about if I should worry. On one hand I don’t really go to shows. I always use my amps at a reasonable bedroom level because I’m not a jerk. I do though listen to music super loud with earbuds+car so you never know. Probably only slightly hosed.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Tinnitus loving sucks.

Trust me on that one.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm the only one from any of my 3 bands who uses earplugs and that worries me. :ohdear:

On the other hand, I'm also the oldest one (33) in 2 of them, so hopefully they'll learn.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

my ears ring for like 15 mins after an hour drive with loud music, is that normal?

I bought etymotics after that drat Gojira & Mastodon show back in 2014.. the next couple days were tinnitus filled torture

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Varg posted:

my ears ring for like 15 mins after an hour drive with loud music, is that normal?

Mine ring all the time 😭 take care now before it’s too late

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Varg posted:

yeah you're loving your ears up

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Varg posted:

no

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Since I was about 14 I've worn earplugs when I play loud guitar or go to shows. A friend's dad would always make us wear them when we played guitar and I just got so used to them that I think my amp sounds weird if I'm not wearing them. I volunteered for a hearing research study at the university a few months ago and they had to test my hearing in order to qualify. The researchers gave me that "uh huh, yeah sure you do" response when I told them the background and that I always wear earplugs to shows or even when I play guitar but were pretty surprised when the results came back on the better side of normal:

Wear earplugs. You can get cheap ones at hardware stores or any drug store, and the custom ones are totally worth it.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 25, 2018

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Another Alkaloid track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPSAdVPGQFQ

Got some callbacks to the Dyson Sphere suite. This loving album is going to own.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Snowy posted:

I’m old and fragile and I go to a lot of shows at Saint Vitus with my one legged pal. He doesn’t give a poo poo so he drags a barstool up to the front of the stage at the side. It’s right in front of the music but usually safe enough from the pit. I just squish in with him over there somewhere, sometimes practically standing on the stage. I’m old and don’t wanna get hurt but I also want to be close enough to touch the equipment. Maybe I should just bring my glasses but in the meantime I’ll be up front.

This close:

The only one of these I recognize is Wata from Boris (right?) Who are all the other ones? These are some wicked cool shots btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Shameful if you don't recognize Portal