Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I think the title was supposed to be, like, a self-discovery thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Bloop posted:

Don't sign your posts

:popeye:
lol

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cythereal posted:

They discovered the spore drive! Which illustrates one of the problems with doing a prequel: we've never heard of a spore drive before in Star Trek, and so Discovery was obligated to introduce it and then explain why it will never be mentioned again.

Except inevitably all the EU books and games that will now talk about it now that it's been retconned into being a thing.

"We discovered this incredible revolutionary thing now let's never mention it again" has been Star Trek since Star Trek was Star Trek.

Kirk found magic spores that cure all diseases and the side effects go away if someone makes you mad.

Kirk found a planet of super advanced androids who can conquer death by transplanting your consciousness into an indestructible robot body. That one rear end in a top hat scientist who bodysnatched Data had discovered the same thing.

Kirk casually used time travel to reverse the events of The Naked Time, also on several other occasions.

Kirk found another planet with an atmosphere that cures all diseases with no side effects once you stay there long enough in The Omega Glory.

McCoy perfected a serum that makes you telekinetic.

The Guardian of Forever lets you find out anything you want anywhere and anywhen you want.

The Kelvans modified the Enterprise's engines to make the journey to Andromeda in three hundred years instead of thousands. Voyager would have been home in an instant if someone had remembered that.

Subcutaneous transponders and communicators appeared in some episodes and were completely forgotten about later.

Spock learned how to use literal magic.

Ardra had that one ship with super-advanced controls that let you transport etc by sending subtle commands with eye movements, probably would have come in handy.

The Ent-D learned how to travel at transwarp in Descent but then um uh it conveniently stopped working and we can never do it again shut up.

There's a space ribbon that takes you to heaven also you can use it to travel anywhere and anywhen you want.

How many drives of the week did Voyager find that worked for an episode and then stopped working. Also Voyager went infinite speed and the only side effect is turning into a newt but with the doctor's help you get better.

Super-blood.

Etc

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 23, 2018

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Way to roundabout make my point.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hey I can play this too:

Abandoning the underlying premise of your show by the second episode is so very Trek

see: Voyager

Whew, I guess Discovery is OK now.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

TOS is kinda cheat mode for that, though, and I think it's safe to say that any given episode did not occur if it's not referenced in a successor series. And even if it did occur, the more outlandish parts may have been ignored due to how hosed up it is.

Like, Kirk meets a god. The closest we ever get to that again is Q, who is simply a douche from another dimension loving around with Picard out of boredom. He's Mr. Mxyzptlk.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

TOS is kinda cheat mode for that, though, and I think it's safe to say that any given episode did not occur if it's not referenced in a successor series. And even if it did occur, the more outlandish parts may have been ignored due to how hosed up it is.

Like, Kirk meets a god. The closest we ever get to that again is Q, who is simply a douche from another dimension loving around with Picard out of boredom. He's Mr. Mxyzptlk.

We really don't know the extent of Kevin Uxbridge's powers

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Bloop posted:

Hey I can play this too:

Abandoning the underlying premise of your show by the second episode is so very Trek

see: Voyager

Whew, I guess Discovery is OK now.

I just don't see "we discovered this technology for plot purposes which we'll never mention again for plot purposes" to be much of a ding against the show. Star Trek has always been a sci fi anthology series that cared more about telling individual stories than it did about consistent worldbuilding. If you're just complaining about this now maybe Star Trek isn't for you idk.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

I just don't see "we discovered this technology for plot purposes which we'll never mention again for plot purposes" to be much of a ding against the show. Star Trek has always been a sci fi anthology series that cared more about telling individual stories than it did about consistent worldbuilding. If you're just complaining about this now maybe Star Trek isn't for you idk.

It's not just plot technology

They discovered a life-form which spreads throughout the entire multiverse and that the loving-with of could literally end all life everywhere.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

ALL LIFE IN THE MULTIVERSE

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Trek should be more like TOS - more outlandish and hosed up. Throw whatever you want, get crazy with it. Make space big and scary again.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I think it's safe to say that any given episode did not occur if it's not referenced in a successor series

I know continuity in Trek exists only nominally to begin with, but "it was all Kirk's mad dream" is on another level

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
The Office theme, but in the stylings of a Klingon opera. It only plays at 82dB no matter what your sound volume is at.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Sure I don't disagree with some of the critiques of the execution, just saying that glorifying Jack Bauer is obviously not the intent.

The intent matters a whole lot less than the execution, and the execution is real bad and confused.

Peachfart posted:

ALL LIFE IN THE MULTIVERSE

Gotta give them points for this, has to be the most ridiculous stakes-raising in the history of fiction.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

McSpanky posted:

Gotta give them points for this, has to be the most ridiculous stakes-raising in the history of fiction.

Even then, someone like Q would probably pop in and say no.

I do not want to see Discovery try to do Q.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

McSpanky posted:

Normally I'd agree except I feel like Doctor Who does this every season.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Bloop posted:

It's not just plot technology

They discovered a life-form which spreads throughout the entire multiverse and that the loving-with of could literally end all life everywhere.

And all the information about it went in that warehouse next to the formula for easy time travel, the telekinesis serum, super-blood, the infinity drive, the Xindi planetbuster, interstellar beaming, and the Ark of the Covenant. And Phlox's cure for assimilation.

McSpanky posted:

The intent matters a whole lot less than the execution, and the execution is real bad and confused.

Not disagreeing with this.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 23, 2018

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Sometimes when people make the complaint "why was ____ in the prequel if we never hear about it later in the timeline," it strikes me as similar to watching something like, I dunno, a new "Hortio Hornblower" then going "Hey, if these Napoleonic Wars were such a big deal, how come we never hear about them in 'House of Cards'?" The world's a big place and the universe is even bigger, and I can easily accept something like the Xindi always existed and just don't get mentioned on camera in the 24th century because they're not relevant in the scope of the story anymore.

Though I will concede this argument when it comes to the universe-ending, all-permeating spore network. That would be one of the hugest scientific discoveries of all time so probably important. Whatever, Ark of the Covenant warehouse I guess.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Discovery getting nailed harder on continuity gaffes than the other series did is its own drat fault for constantly boasting about how strong its continuity was going to be, how of course it will be canon with the main timeline, and how it was going to explore a mysterious stretch of the Star Trek timeline that not even the EU material has delved into before!!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

VitalSigns posted:

Ardra had that one ship with super-advanced controls that let you transport etc by sending subtle commands with eye movements, probably would have come in handy.

The Ent-D learned how to travel at transwarp in Descent but then um uh it conveniently stopped working and we can never do it again shut up.

There's a space ribbon that takes you to heaven also you can use it to travel anywhere and anywhen you want.

How many drives of the week did Voyager find that worked for an episode and then stopped working. Also Voyager went infinite speed and the only side effect is turning into a newt but with the doctor's help you get better.

Super-blood.

Etc

TNG was actually a lot better about recycling past technobabble, even if in passing. Wesley's nanites from Evolution got brought up as a potential attack vector against the Borg in Best of Both Worlds (...and then totally forgotten after that), the BoBW wave motion gun deflector beam got reused in Night Terrors, the metaphasic shielding from Suspicions got reused in Descent... I think there's one I'm forgetting in there too.

That said, I don't think "well other series did it so it's okay" is a good argument. I think modern Trek should learn from the mistakes of past incarnations, especially if they're not under the gun to pump out 26 episodes a year every year.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Moddington posted:

Discovery getting nailed harder on continuity gaffes than the other series did is its own drat fault for constantly boasting about how strong its continuity was going to be, how of course it will be canon with the main timeline, and how it was going to explore a mysterious stretch of the Star Trek timeline that not even the EU material has delved into before!!

I also just plain think a series where the protagonist is Spock's adopted human sister is going to get watched and nailed harder for continuity poo poo.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

And all the information about it went in that warehouse next to the formula for easy time travel, the telekinesis serum, super-blood, the infinity drive, the Xindi planetbuster, interstellar beaming, and the Ark of the Covenant. And Phlox's cure for assimilation.

Well since 2/2 universes we know about were able to discover and gently caress with it, and since one of them classified the info, I'm sure the infinity-minus-two that remain won't post any sort of threat

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Cythereal posted:

I also just plain think a series where the protagonist is Spock's adopted human sister is going to get watched and nailed harder for continuity poo poo.

They really doomed themselves to failure plopping into the canon as a close prequel to TOS. They could have done literally anything else. If they really didn't want to do post-voyager, there's still the vast gulf of time between TOS and TNG that remains totally unexplored.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Or they could have just said "it's a reboot, we're doing everything our way, deal w/ it"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

TNG was actually a lot better about recycling past technobabble, even if in passing. Wesley's nanites from Evolution got brought up as a potential attack vector against the Borg in Best of Both Worlds (...and then totally forgotten after that), the BoBW wave motion gun deflector beam got reused in Night Terrors, the metaphasic shielding from Suspicions got reused in Descent... I think there's one I'm forgetting in there too.

That said, I don't think "well other series did it so it's okay" is a good argument. I think modern Trek should learn from the mistakes of past incarnations, especially if they're not under the gun to pump out 26 episodes a year every year.

One of the top thing I've always respected about SG1 was that it was so on point about this sort of continuity. It's really surprisingly good and always respected its audience to have remembered the Mcguffin of the week from 4 seasons ago.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There are a lot of things they could have done, but mainly most of the problems stem back from the original premise that this was going to be a short lived anthology series. Fuller was going to attempt a much more cohesive visual design that more closely matched TOS and this was going to be a self contained story that didn't overstay its welcome (or exist long enough to even have to worry about continuity problems.)

But, things changed, CBS wanted something more traditional, Fuller proved once again that he is only capable of rage quitting series, and the new showrunners clearly would have rather done a reboot but were saddled with the stuff that was done already.

So we have this mess that's showing no signs that anything has been learned since Enterprise went off the air other than adopting prestige TV production quality levels.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

The wilder episodes of TOS are better if you think of them as Kirk telling stories of his glory days immediately pre-TMP.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Bloop posted:

Well since 2/2 universes we know about were able to discover and gently caress with it, and since one of them classified the info, I'm sure the infinity-minus-two that remain won't post any sort of threat

The Federation healed the damage the Terran Empire did to the mycelial network pretty easily so maybe it just takes one universe figuring that out to protect everyone else from multiverse climate change

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Cythereal posted:

I do not want to see Discovery try to do Q.

Oh god this would be bad.

I would be worried they would start throwing in everything that was a fan favorite in season 2, borg, q, cardassians, whatever, but then I remembered the folks who own star trek don't care about anything that happened after 1969. Today's hip young audience that wants prestige serialized drama, is hungry for shows about Harry Mudd, not the 90's trek of their nostalgic youth.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching Mudd's Women. My predictions for episodes based on the names always went wrong during TNG, but I'll be damned if that doesn't sound like it'll be wild

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Are they chasing this ship just because it won't say hello to them? Are they space cops?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Good god

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jesus those are some 60s women

The way they're just model posing there motionless while the men stare at them just as dumbly is weird

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The cinematography is wild with a bunch of stark lighting and extreme closeups

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

"He's used to buying and selling people" :stare:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Wonder if this will be the first episode I see where Kirk macks on someone

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

So far this is one of the most blatant cases I've ever seen of women just being completely hapless eye candy objects

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Not sure how I feel about Starfleet using lie detectors in trials

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh it wasn't detecting lies, it was just checking what he said against the record. I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I still like him better than the Outrageous Okona