Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

thexerox123 posted:

Their reaction when they realized that they had forgotten to show the gameplay for an entire round was funny.

SO funny

Also Pat's Hulk ASMR was so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Gill&Gilbert os.carryong polygon into a new era

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

They should look into streaming on twitch, word I'm getting is the money you get back is significantly better than youtube

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

They should look into streaming on twitch, word I'm getting is the money you get back is significantly better than youtube

Man, it used to be on Youtube that every monetized channel would get $2-3,000 per million views.

There were channels that could produce three videos a day (at around 10 minutes) that would net 1-3 million views each.
That's $6-27,000 A DAY.

In cases like Game Grumps they would film all the episodes for the week in one big session (around 9 hours they said) and hired an editor to slap it all together.
I can't even fathom being able to make that kind of money for such little work.
Granted, GG never hit those numbers but poo poo, lots of people did and they were just sitting in front of a camera while yelling about comics or whatever.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
Every Polygon video aside from Monster Factory gets a vanishingly small amount of views relative to the amount of people who seem to be full-time employed to make videos for Polygon.

I worry that Vox staffed up the video team to find that next Monster Factory / Car Boys / CoolGames Inc and failing that will scale back toward another round of layoffs.

I don't want my boy BDG back out on the mean streets of NYC.

Also, I'm on Youtube all the time with no adblock and I feel like I've never seen an ad on a Polygon video.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I think their videos serve more to build the site's brand and bring traffic there, rather than them being monetized themselves. I've noticed they've stopped "ironically" doing the like and subscribe thing and now just say it earnestly. I think their model for producing content has been changing a lot, but it's hard to tell if it means anything beyond trying to appear more cohesive as a brand.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Ironically they have developed a brand that is defined by not being as concerned with branding as they are with making funny, offbeat, creative videos. Any effort to create a cohesive brand will erode the brand that they’ve established.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
There's a bunch of stuff on Polygons YouTube channel that quietly dissolved so I'm not too worried about them cancelling a few projects by putting a bow on them.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
https://youtu.be/Mjy7XdR6VvE

Simone and Brian play with cardboard

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Brian was a very good hire (even if I was trying to convince them to hire chip cheezum) and I hope they don’t lay him off if things go bad. Maybe they can just sell Clayton’s beard, that should keep the lights on for a little while

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zgcpu5lIfA

Hopefully not the end of Week in Revue. :ohdear:

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

My god, Brian is brilliant. The way he's weaved the Scrundler narrative into Week in Revue is amazing.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

My god, Brian is brilliant. The way he's weaved the Scrundler narrative into Week in Revue is amazing.

I highly recommend Let's Make a Music, for anyone who's unaware of it.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I tried an episode but found it a bit boring...I may need to give it another go.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
You down with BDG?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

You know me

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeKocEBe_ps

Who do you reckon was behind this?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/PolyGIFs/status/987293686827495427

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNEGCx5u12w

Brian continues to be the best.

Chadina
Apr 29, 2008

The captions on this video contain some fun little tidbits too.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
So hey check this poo poo out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7e_vmboxhU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

According to Polygon's video channels, these are the only recurring shows currently:

Awful Squad
You Don't Know Jackbox
Gill & Gilbert

Every other show has had their schedule removed from their header. For example, Executeables seems to be over as well. Only those three shows above have a schedule in their header.

It does seem like a downsizing may be happening soon.

e: There is also Overboard, which is once a month.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 23, 2018

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
They could save a lot of money by demoting Russ to an intern and not lose any quality of content.

Serf
May 5, 2011

if they start firing people and we lose brian but keep russ there truly is no justice in this world

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Brian's half of one of the only remaining shows and also really popular among fans, so I think he's fine for a while. Unfortunately, Jenna was the last hired and probably first fired if that happens. Which sucks, because she's great also.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Maybe they're just clearing room for new shows.

:ohdear:

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
They're making room for Car Boys: Revival, starring lobotomized Nick Robinson and a noticeably uncomfortable Griffin McElroy.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Eox posted:

They're making room for Car Boys: Revival, starring lobotomized Nick Robinson and a noticeably uncomfortable Griffin McElroy.

Nick Robinson but he's just Ball

Serf
May 5, 2011

replace nick with the cube from cook for cube

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Serf posted:

replace nick with the cube from cook for cube

I can't take knowing anymore Griffin fetishes.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Totally ineffective.
cube: MAKE ME A PIE OR I WILL TWEET THE NASTIEST THING YOU'VE SAID IN THE COMFORT OF YOUR HOME THIS WEEK
me: gently caress off cube, i've seen the receipts you thirsfty bitch

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Car Boys 2: New Class, in which Pat and a rotating 2nd and 3rd try to open the portal to where Griffin and Nick are stuck forever.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

SpacePig posted:

Car Boys 2: New Class, in which Pat and a rotating 2nd and 3rd try to open the portal to where Griffin and Nick are stuck forever.

The Old Man: "Well done, boy! You're reopened the time portal, but not for long! There's only time enough to save one of your f-"
Pat: "Griffin."
The Old Man: "But.. I mean, I thought-"
Pat: "No, some poo poo happened, gimme Griffin please."

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Hire me Polygon.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The only time they’ve directly referenced The Nick Thing was at the start of the first Awful Squad after it all went down, in which they basically just said they weren’t at liberty to talk about it. With that in mind, I doubt they will ever do a continuation of any property he was centrally involved in. Which is a shame, because Cool James Incorperated was a fantastic podcast.

As for what they will do, I think whoever said they’re clearing the way for more streaming content is right on the money. Further, I don’t think anyone with an on-camera (or at least on-microphone) presence is at risk of losing their job.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
To be fair, Polygon Show constantly does Cool Games Inc style bits, by which I mean they just scream hilarious ideas into the void and it's great.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://www.polygon.com/forums/meta/2018/4/24/17275680/its-a-departure

Bye Justin and Griffin :(

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Eh. Writing's been on the wall for a long time. They're still gonna Monster Factory, which as near as I can tell is all the Brothers Mc have been doing for Polygon for a while. Presumably they're gonna focus up on being fathers and doing Adventure Zone stuff while Travis continues to suckle on their humorous teat like some sort of comedy parasite is there too.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

honestly the biggest news about this to me is that they were still full-time at polygon on top of everything else in their lives.

good news, though:

quote:

Our footprint isn't completely going to disappear from Polygon. We're in talks to continue doing Monster Factory on ... some kind of schedule, though we're still ironing out exactly what that's going to look like. We're also going to keep doing Awful Squad on an ad-hoc basis, and are in the process of figuring out a way to keep doing Besties, mostly because I refuse to let Chris and Russ win the tontine we all paid into years ago.

I think overall from our perspective it's not going to be much different than how it's been normally for the past several years, though it does still feel pretty sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Griffin posted:

Today, our video output is so unique, and bizarre, and just universally delightful. I adore this team and am so excited to continue watching the stuff they make.

This makes me hopeful that the paranoid fear in this thread that Polygon was ending all its video series and firing the new hires is completely unfounded.