Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Arcsquad12 posted:

A friend of mine discovered G Gundam and laughed his rear end off at the wacky mech designs, and I want to get him into the franchise a bit more. I'm wondering if I should set him up with a lighter show like Build Fighters, or, if he's a dub only guy, throw him headfirst into some UC OVA series.

Wing is a great next step, I'd say. Nothing quite reaches the G Gundam insanity, but Wing is a good step from that into the more classic Gundam structure and themes. Also, it's still my favorite, and always will be.

Build Fighters is ok, but it's so focused on gunpla that I'm not sure how much of it is actually any good if you don't build models.

I'd suggest Wing, then the OG movie trilogy. The dub is hilariously bad, but it does a good job of the story, which opens up the rest of UC pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Make your friend watch Gurren Lagann in addition to all the suggestions.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

EVGA Longoria posted:

Build Fighters is ok, but it's so focused on gunpla that I'm not sure how much of it is actually any good if you don't build models.

I haven't ever built a Gunpla and I have no intentions to, yet I genuinely enjoyed the hell out of Build Fighters, far more than I've enjoyed several "serious" Gundam shows.

Zedd posted:

Make your friend watch Gurren Lagann in addition to all the suggestions.

Always good advice, regardless of genre involved.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The catch with going from G to Wing is that G, beneath all the cheese, is a good story told well by competent people. Wing is... less of that. I’d actually call the original Mobile Suit Gundam a decent next step after G - it’s got that same mix of dated wackiness, serious drama, and impressive artistic fundamentals beneath all that ropy animation. Tomino really knows his way around a fight scene, and there’s some famously clever and sensitive character work in those fifty episodes.

Caros
May 14, 2008

EVGA Longoria posted:

Wing is a great next step, I'd say. Nothing quite reaches the G Gundam insanity, but Wing is a good step from that into the more classic Gundam structure and themes. Also, it's still my favorite, and always will be.

I'd suggest Wing, then the OG movie trilogy. The dub is hilariously bad, but it does a good job of the story, which opens up the rest of UC pretty well.

For what it is worth, my ex never watched any anime, let alone gundam, but she enjoyed build fighters enough that she actually stuck it out through TRY. The series is definitely approachable for people who don't watch gundam.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's pretty cool that Gundam has enough good shows that don't require franchise knowledge now that there's no real answer to "where should I start?"

Build Fighters, Unicorn RE:0096, IBO, Thunderbolt, even The Origin. The last five years have been a bonanza of entry-point series.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blaze Dragon posted:

I haven't ever built a Gunpla and I have no intentions to, yet I genuinely enjoyed the hell out of Build Fighters, far more than I've enjoyed several "serious" Gundam shows.

Always good advice, regardless of genre involved.

Wait, wait, wait. You've watched Build Fighters, enjoyed it, and you still have no desire to purchase and assemble Gunpla?! :stare:

poo poo guys; do we take him out back and shoot him, or do we study him in laboratory conditions to learn about his immunity to plastic crack?

Caros posted:

For what it is worth, my ex never watched any anime, let alone gundam, but she enjoyed build fighters enough that she actually stuck it out through TRY. The series is definitely approachable for people who don't watch gundam.

Pretty sure subjecting your significant other to BF:Try is a form of abuse. Nobody should have to experience Build Fighters Try :ohdear:.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait, wait, wait. You've watched Build Fighters, enjoyed it, and you still have no desire to purchase and assemble Gunpla?! :stare:

poo poo guys; do we take him out back and shoot him, or do we study him in laboratory conditions to learn about his immunity to plastic crack?

I've watched Build Fighters twice, Try once, and watch and post a shitload about Gundam and play various Gundam games and I don't have any interest in Gunpla. :smuggo:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pretty sure subjecting your significant other to BF:Try is a form of abuse. Nobody should have to experience Build Fighters Try :ohdear:.

Hey, don't kinkshame.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

You aren't a real Gundam fan if you ain't built a Gunpla.

Wing is a safe entry point, IBO is a good distillation of the larger Gundam themes, the MSG movies you just have to be prepared to marathon for them to feel right.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 23, 2018

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I always recommend Turn A to Gundam newcomers, I'm probably doing it wrong but whatever. Turn A rules.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
My gf is basically starting with Victory because I'm watching it for the first time. She really likes Katejina, should I be worried?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

I've watched Build Fighters twice, Try once, and watch and post a shitload about Gundam and play various Gundam games and I don't have any interest in Gunpla. :smuggo:

Gunpla is freedom, including the freedom not to participate.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tulalip Tulips posted:

My gf is basically starting with Victory because I'm watching it for the first time. She really likes Katejina, should I be worried?

Katejina is actually pretty cool until she isn’t. And even then, she gets to be cool in different ways for a little while, and never stops having excellent taste in mobile suits.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Neddy Seagoon posted:

i mean, if building models or having action figures isn't at least kinda-sorta your bag, Gunpla's not gonna grab you even with BF; i could totally see someone watching BF for the sports anime stuff and the fights and the bonkers kitbash designs, and not really having any strong desire to go out and buy model kits after.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

that... really depends on why she likes Katejina. Katejina is a really fun character and a really insanely bad person; liking horrible and evil characters because they're fun to watch isn't the same as actually agreeing with them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i mean, if building models or having action figures isn't at least kinda-sorta your bag, Gunpla's not gonna grab you even with BF; i could totally see someone watching BF for the sports anime stuff and the fights and the bonkers kitbash designs, and not really having any strong desire to go out and buy model kits after.

that... really depends on why she likes Katejina. Katejina is a really fun character and a really insanely bad person; liking horrible and evil characters because they're fun to watch isn't the same as actually agreeing with them.

Katejina isn’t a bad person in the first half of Victory. She’s angry and bitter, but it’s mostly out of outrage at the appalling bullshit that is the late-UC world, and she repeatedly puts life and limb at risk to help people when the chips are down. Then the second half happens.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Tulalip Tulips posted:

:sever:

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
Look, if she makes you happy, go for it. Love is blind

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Case in point, Char is probably the most popular Gundam character of all time and he's a backstabbing sociopathic monster who abandoned his sister, gaslighted an innocent person about being their best friend long enough to manipulate them into their own death before gloating about it, and eventually went on to try to genocide a significant portion of the human race.

Katejina is interesting and entertaining, and as Walrus says, she doesn't start the show as a bad person, she just becomes an extremely bad person as she degenerates into madness.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

DKD posted:

:golfclap:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

DKD posted:

Dude, Harsh.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

The catch with going from G to Wing is that G, beneath all the cheese, is a good story told well by competent people. Wing is... less of that. I’d actually call the original Mobile Suit Gundam a decent next step after G - it’s got that same mix of dated wackiness, serious drama, and impressive artistic fundamentals beneath all that ropy animation. Tomino really knows his way around a fight scene, and there’s some famously clever and sensitive character work in those fifty episodes.

No way. Anecdotally, I loved Gundam Wing in middle school in the Toonami age and when the next gundam series they put out was MSG I was 100% not interested. And keep in mind, this was after enjoying 08th and 0083. Also, there was one sleepover where my friend found "A GUNDAM MOVIE AHHH" and it was MSG 1 and it was such a disappointment in 8th grade.

0080 is a bad choice too; it doesn't offer anything remotely similar to G, has an irritating protagonist if you aren't down with the theme of the show, and really terrible music. Wing is a solid choice since it's more 'serious' and can be an entry point into more serious UC stuff, and has basically the same look of G, plus a killer soundtrack.

I think Giant Robo is a more solid choice for a G lover than anything but one of the flashier UC gundam OVAs, since the through line is way more apparent.

This is just based on the idea that he dug the silliness of G Gundam. If he's interested in a serious examination of war then MSG or 0080 become much more palatable, but neither is particularly cool or flashy, outside of a few parts of 0080, which betrays the theme of 0080 anyhow.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i got my friend to sit through the MSG trilogy by showing her the Origin movies first so that she was really invested in seeing more char

worked out great

MSG movie 3 is some legit really good drama but 1 and 2 are still kinda difficult to sit through if you're not already invested in watching gundam

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well, for one thing the third movie is almost entirely reanimated unlike the first two, so they were able to tweak events and screentime to better fit in a film context. Also, the back half of Gundam really doesn't have many big plot beats after Jaburo, since it's mostly a series of skirmishes as White Base makes diversionary attacks to allow the EFSF to deploy their new fleet. So a lot of stuff could get cut and keep the focus on the major points like Lala, Solomon and A Baoa Qu.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

my favorite part of MSG is that like 90% of the time char is talking to any other significant character he's just lying through his teeth

i really like the scene where he talks to kycillia and says "i felt no pleasure in garma's death and have no intention of killing any more zabis" and her response is just a look to the side and "i don't love gihren at all. not one bit. i just want you to know that."

Caros
May 14, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

my favorite part of MSG is that like 90% of the time char is talking to any other significant character he's just lying through his teeth

i really like the scene where he talks to kycillia and says "i felt no pleasure in garma's death and have no intention of killing any more zabis" and her response is just a look to the side and "i don't love gihren at all. not one bit. i just want you to know that."

Is that Char? Why does he have a bazook-

Oh gently caress.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Build Divers ep 4 is up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0whKXYKvoQ

They do a good job of making me think Tigerwolf is just someone who likes Tigers and Wolves, and isn't just a filthy furry. He's pretty cool and acknowledged that things like fatigue don't exist in the game. Also that Momo has a leg-up in piloting from playing sports.

Ending: I think the hooded guy is Junya? I'm not quite sure if it's the same voice, but I meant to say when I first saw him in the OP it looked a bit like him and in what might be an appropriate role.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BizarroAzrael posted:

Build Divers ep 4 is up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0whKXYKvoQ

They do a good job of making me think Tigerwolf is just someone who likes Tigers and Wolves, and isn't just a filthy furry.

That was my worry too, but it actually works really well for his character considering his whole mantra is trying to teach people to understand that they are not in reality and the normal rules do not apply apply. Going for a non-human avatar just exemplifies his teachings in a clear visual example.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Hes a furry.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
This week on Gundam Build Divers, the gang visits a hardcore martial arts training center in the mountains! Characters do as they are told, everything goes basically as planned, and there are no shenanigans.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Great, another martial artist with an incredibly boring ultimate technique. :nallears:

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Lemon-Lime posted:

Great, another martial artist with an incredibly boring ultimate technique. :nallears:

Bakunetsu! Yukki Finger!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Marx Headroom posted:

I always recommend Turn A to Gundam newcomers, I'm probably doing it wrong but whatever. Turn A rules.

I'm actually insanely jealous of anyone who gets to watch Turn A as their very first Gundam series because they have approximately the same amount of knowledge of mobile suits and Gundams as the characters in the show. I've always wondered what they think of the plot, the story, and Gundam in general after that.

It also helps that Turn A is insanely watchable and for a 50-episode series has remarkably few dud episodes (ignoring the filler episodes - which I'm actually going to go back to watch with my wife since it's been a long time since we were watching Turn A Gundam: I may know the plot beats due to being a massive Gundam nerd, but she probably needs a refresher so we don't have to start over).

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/LukewarmHoliday/status/988797912510496768

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hell yeah

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It's a shame it's a Japanese arcade only release for the foreseeable future.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

But yuck, Sekai.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

MechaX posted:

But yuck, Sekai.

On the other hand that means you can beat up Sekai over and over again.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

On the other hand that means you can beat up Sekai over and over again.

The downside is that the Try Burning is probably going to be a pretty good suit, so he’ll spend most of the time beating your rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So long as it isn't Spallow level of melee suit I don't think I care that much.

Burn Spallow to the ground.