Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

frodnonnag posted:

So venomverse is franklins fault.

So inhumans tv show is franklins fault.

Franklin is why gwenpool ended.

Franklin is why we can't have nice things.

No. Franklin is why we have good things in the first place. Then the writers screw it up until Franklin notices, and we get good things again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

franklin hardly knows or understands everything in the universes he creates. at some point, the universes write their own crazy stories.

Billzasilver fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 21, 2018

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mulva posted:

No. Franklin is why we have good things in the first place. Then the writers screw it up until Franklin notices, and we get good things again.

The question is did Franklin dream up the autistic kid with the snowglobe, or did the autistic kid with the snowglobe dream up Franklin?

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
I wish Franklin could give us the universe where Quesada retconned Franklin and Valeria out of existence rather than the spider-marriage. (I've always thought they were the other 'genies' he wished he could put back in their metaphorical bottles.)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Billzasilver posted:

franklin hardly knows or understands everything in the universes he creates. at some point, the universes write their own crazy stories.

Ready Player One (2018)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Thranguy posted:

I wish Franklin could give us the universe where Quesada retconned Franklin and Valeria out of existence rather than the spider-marriage. (I've always thought they were the other 'genies' he wished he could put back in their metaphorical bottles.)

Franklin Richards is one of the oldest Marvel comics characters in existence and a creation of Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. He's almost as old as Quesada.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Thranguy posted:

Why? There would be no reason to do that.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Open Marriage Night posted:

Why? There would be no reason to do that.

Having a wife and children makes Mr. Fantastic seem too old and thus harder to relate too.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Still think it's darkly hilarious how Franklin and Reed care so little for Ben that they gave doom his face back but couldn't be bothered to make Ben normal

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

good day for a bris posted:

Having a wife and children makes Mr. Fantastic seem too old and thus harder to relate too.

That, the fact that having kids makes it narratively difficult to do exploration-focused stories without making them bad parents by way of either abandonment or endangerment, their ages and birth years put extra constraints on the floating timeline, and Franklin's very existence as potential kid ex machina inherently de-escalates any conflict in any Marvel book.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I'm choosing to believe that Ben is a secret Masochist.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Thranguy posted:

That, the fact that having kids makes it narratively difficult to do exploration-focused stories without making them bad parents by way of either abandonment or endangerment, their ages and birth years put extra constraints on the floating timeline, and Franklin's very existence as potential kid ex machina inherently de-escalates any conflict in any Marvel book.

Franklin's first appearance was 1968, and god knows there's never been a good Fantastic Four comic since then.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Thranguy posted:

Ha! Abandon and endanger Franklin? They’d never do tha-

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Uh, they are clearly talking to Frank Castle.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Castle having enough will and focus to use the nullifier is exactly the right amount of bullshit someone would write for him.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Thranguy posted:

Having the children tag along in their adventures is a big part of the genre, and was done by contemporaries such Lost in Space, Johnny Quest, and Land of the Lost.

Also the whole ages and floating timeline thing hasn’t been a major issue in any other books Marvel’s put out for almost 60 years, why would Franklin existing be the exception?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Uh, they are clearly talking to Frank Castle.

I do not miss that weird brief period where they called him Frank at all.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Castle having enough will and focus to use the nullifier is exactly the right amount of bullshit someone would write for him.

We all know Quasar is the best at using the Nullifier.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Oh so that's what that does

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Oh so that's what that does

Yeah, it can destroy literally anything in the universe, but it's really hard to keep it from then destroying the rest of the things in the universe.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

When Galactus freaked out because the Human Torch was holding it and had no idea what he was playing around with, he wasn't kidding.

I always preferred when the Ultimate Nullifier was treated as this unimaginable cosmic weapon of destruction. Not like the time Scott Lobdell had it show up in his Fantastic Four run and it's treated like an energy shotgun.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There was one cool bit in the first issue of JLA/Avengers where the JLA cross over into the Marvel universe where they find the Ultimate Nullifier, and Martian Manhunter can't hold his shape when he scans it telepathically because it's destructive power is so overwhelming.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm surprised Rick Jones never used it as a bong.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Wheat Loaf posted:

There was one cool bit in the first issue of JLA/Avengers where the JLA cross over into the Marvel universe where they find the Ultimate Nullifier, and Martian Manhunter can't hold his shape when he scans it telepathically because it's destructive power is so overwhelming.

trying to mind-read guns but also loving up is why Jonn will never be as cool as Clark

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Autism Sneaks posted:

trying to mind-read guns but also loving up is why Jonn will never be as cool as Clark

You wanna fight???? J'onn is real cool!!!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

I'm surprised Rick Jones never used it as a bong.

The Ultimate Nuggifier.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

JLA/Avengers is so goddamn good. It's pretty much the only good marvel dc crossover.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Monaghan posted:

JLA/Avengers is so goddamn good. It's pretty much the only good marvel dc crossover.

Have you read Ultraforce/Avengers? Not the first part, just the second issue illustrated by George Perez. It really feels like he was practicing for JLA/A and just tossed in all these bonkers versions of Marvel heroes that vaguely resembled DC ones.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I like both Superman/Spider-Man crossovers a lot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I remember enjoying a Spider-Man/Batman crossover where Carnage is being transferred to Arkham and escapes with the Joker. Although it has Batman beating up Carnage in a physical fight, which is almost as dumb as Venom succesfully using a judo flip on loving Superman.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Man, I'm reading the Infinity event from 2013 and I don't think Deodato's art has ever looked better than when coloured by Frank Martin. And by coincidence I happened to be reading through the Osborn Thunderbolt era so a good comparison is fresh in my mind.

Edit: And what the hell was going on with Iron Man's armour at the time. One of the worst I've ever seen.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 24, 2018

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
There are some good Marvel vs DC crossovers. The first Spider-man/Batman is decent. Marvel vs DC leading to Amalgam is kind of whacked out fun. JLA/Avengers is solid old style goodness. Spider-man/Superman were good old school stuff. Darkseid vs Galactus: The Hunger. I liked Hughes' art on Wildcats/X-Men and Charest on Wolverine/...Amazon Blade Chick I forget her name.

Then there's Image/DC I think, eventually Wildstorm becomes a part of the DCU. Planetary/Batman is good. Superman-Aliens and Batman-Predator is good. Robocop vs Terminator is Miller as gently caress. Batman/Judge Dredd.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercompany_crossover

Going down that list is fun until you hit 1996.

And of course, Archie vs Punisher and Archie vs Predator.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 24, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'd love to see a DC/Marvel crossover that was just the villians switched, the Iron Man vs Sinestro, The X-men Vs the Joker, Batman Vs Mangeto, Green Lantern vs Green Goblin.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

twistedmentat posted:

I'd love to see a DC/Marvel crossover that was just the villians switched, the Iron Man vs Sinestro, The X-men Vs the Joker, Batman Vs Mangeto, Green Lantern vs Green Goblin.

Sinestro, Joker, Magneto, Green Lantern win.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

twistedmentat posted:

Acts of Crossover Vengeance.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Joker and Magneto taking turns punching The Red Skull in the jaw.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I do feel like X-Men vs Joker would realistically be about two and a half pages long though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Batman would just knock out Magneto with a perfictly carved wooden Batarang.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Batman would just knock out Magneto with a perfictly carved wooden Batarang.

He's already fought Doctor Polaris which is why he uses graphite composites to build all his weapons.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

But who would win, (Ian MacKellen voice) Magneto, or (Patrick Stewart voice) Cerebro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Lobok posted:

Man, I'm reading the Infinity event from 2013 and I don't think Deodato's art has ever looked better than when coloured by Frank Martin. And by coincidence I happened to be reading through the Osborn Thunderbolt era so a good comparison is fresh in my mind.

Edit: And what the hell was going on with Iron Man's armour at the time. One of the worst I've ever seen.

Infinity is real fuckin good for many, many reasons. but its during that weird time when Iron Man joined the Guardians of the Galaxy so his armor has this weird lovely star design on it.

• Locked thread