Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

its really hard for me not to say what i want to say but RIP to all the victims im gonna leave it at that

Thank you, it's appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Is the Barbaric Practices Hotline still up? Should we report this incident to them?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
That's got nowhere near enough impotent rage to be real. If the army talk and 4chan references were replaced with seething about the sexual market place or something it might have been believable.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Goosed it. posted:

Probably best they address it someway if other news outlets are covering it.

You have a point in that people may be looking for verification from other sources and the CBC does admit they can't verify it themselves. I'd still avoid it entirely, if I was in their shoes, unless I knew what I had was legit. But I guess that's just my cautious nature.

All I've seen is one photo of someone's cellphone. Why not a screengrab? Surely other people went searching on FB as soon as the name was dropped so you'd think there'd be other screens out there. I mean, I've seen screenshots of two different wrong guys all over Twitter tonight, why is there only one photo of this allegedly correct one?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Lmao now CBC is doing a giant piece on Elliot Rodgers and are explaining what Chads and Staceys are... Are you loving kidding me?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Math You posted:

Lmao now CBC is doing a giant piece on Elliot Rodgers and are explaining what Chads and Staceys are... Are you loving kidding me?

This is amazing...dude on The national legitimately trying to explain incels

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Math You posted:

Okay, now it was worth it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Math You posted:

Final confirmation, this is in fact the stupidest possible timeline.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
This is probably one of the lamest ways to die... god drat. Dead at the hands of an incel.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Leofish posted:

Okay, now it was worth it.

I need to hear Trudeau talk about Chads in order to reach completion

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
With all the real poo poo going on in the world, if this terrorist attack ends up being because a loving incel wanted revenge on all the Chads and Stacys...

I guess it’s better than religious intolerance. Yay Canada?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Someone summed it up in the GBS thread;

Khazar-khum posted:

Blue Star Error posted:

Imagine having to explain Chad and Stacy to an angry mountie after you've just killed 9 people. Its like an anxiety dream leaking into real life.
Which is worse: If the incel story is true, or false

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

In lighter/heavier news...

https://twitter.com/robtrench/status/988601842971037697

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Math You posted:

That's got nowhere near enough impotent rage to be real. If the army talk and 4chan references were replaced with seething about the sexual market place or something it might have been believable.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that this is just a chan troll job. The fact that our national broadcaster appears to have been conned by it is probably causing peals of hysterical laughter on the worst parts of the Internet.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

:stare:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

hahaha what the gently caress

I honestly thought it was actually a face transplant person and then read the caption. Holy poo poo.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Culture Guard have teamed up with the finest people today in their efforts to protest SOGI 123 in BC

https://twitter.com/pattibacchus/status/988494158636699649
https://twitter.com/MorganeOgerBC/status/988594373179752449

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

St. Dogbert posted:

Are we sure the Facebook screengrab is fake? All the major news outlets are running with it now.

Where's the link to the actual facebook page? It's fake af and the text of it is full of a million red flags of it being a photoshopped troll and holy poo poo anyone reporting this should know better how are they so bad at this.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Entropic posted:

Where's the link to the actual facebook page? It's fake af and the text of it is full of a million red flags of it being a photoshopped troll and holy poo poo anyone reporting this should know better how are they so bad at this.

Le Saboteur posted:

If it is someone started posting right around when the 911 calls started coming in.

https://twitter.com/mattbraga/status/988610054499823616?s=19

There's an archive link, the original is locked. The page has no other content.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Have any news outlets reached out to Facebook for confirmation on whether that's a real page that's been locked / deleted? That seems like the obvious first step in verifying it.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011
This was an interesting article with a bit of background on Alek Minassian that I hadn't seen in other places.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/toronto/article-suspect-in-toronto-van-attack-described-as-socially-awkward-tech

Globe & Mail posted:

One classmate, who worked on a project with him at Seneca in 2015, described Mr. Minassian as someone with a significant social or mental disability who had a hard time speaking to people, difficulty under pressure, and constant physical tics where he shook his hands and tapped his head.

The man, who did not want to be identified, expressed disbelief that Mr. Minassian would even be capable of renting and piloting an automobile. He said, when he knew him, Mr. Minassian didn’t drive, and didn’t know how a steering wheel worked.

The man said in a text conversation that he did not believe the attack would be politically motivated, saying he suspects his former classmate got into an accident, overreacted and panicked, asking police to shoot him in a video captured on the street by a bystander. The man said he heard that Mr. Minassian could code.

"" posted:

In 2009, Sona Minassian was quoted in a story in the Richmond Hill Liberal lamenting that her son, who suffered from a form of autism called Asperger syndrome, was at risk of losing access to a special program called Helpmate that assisted the teen to “work though his cognitive barriers and prepare him for the workplace.”

“My son would spend afternoons working with Helpmate. They were sensitive to his needs and now he has a job at Compugen here in town,” she said, referring to an IT company in Richmond Hill.

“He was able to take the experience provided by Helpmate and apply it. This kind of service for my son wasn’t available elsewhere. I am convinced that if we didn’t have Helpmate, my son would not have had such an opportunity.”

The article did not mention the name of the son.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

This is probably one of the lamest ways to die... god drat. Dead at the hands of an incel.

Don’t knock it, it worked for 7 trillion sperm

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You know, gently caress a movie about Rob Ford, I want to see Armando Iannucci make a tv special about the night Patrick Brown got tossed.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

...are we not doing phrasing any more?

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Entropic posted:

Have any news outlets reached out to Facebook for confirmation on whether that's a real page that's been locked / deleted? That seems like the obvious first step in verifying it.

"But the chart says if we spend 41 seconds verifying we'll lose 77% of our potential clicks to The National, do you want to see us have layoffs?" :saddowns:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Stickarts posted:

You should read Neil Postman’s Amusing Ourselves to Death. You’ll never look at the telegraph the same.

Neil Postman is great. It’s interesting reading his later stuff though. For a guy who nailed the media that existed before his time, he was way off on the internet.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

It's intensely frustrating to me that in tyool 2018 the entire Canadian media establishment has found itself completely incapable of verifying the existence of a Facebook post beyond a couple of photos of cell phones and a sketchy archive link.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The timestamps in the archive link are wrong. Someone made a fake account and grabbed their own profile page

It does seem to line up with their developmental issues though. Hedging my bets on this one

xtal fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 24, 2018

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

xtal posted:

The timestamps in the archive link are wrong. Someone made a fake account and grabbed their own profile page

It does seem to line up with their developmental issues though. Hedging my bets on this one

It is weird as hell. Why would someone make an account for the sole purpose of posting a manifesto, going to the effort of making one's post at the exact same time as the attack (shouldn't he have been driving down the street at the time?), and then hide it from the world while apparently still in custody?

Looks like the screenshot was taken at 4 p.m. Toronto time, which is clearly after reports were starting to come out that this guy's name was Alek Minassian; I was able to find Twitter evidence of that at about 3:22p.m. EDT from CBS. I'm trying to go back further, but Twitter is not the easiest to work with for never-users like myself. I'll let the thread know when I find the first reports with his name there. Given that his name had been out in public for about 40 minutes, one would expect that there would be about a million people who had spread his Facebook around rather than just the couple of lousy photographs of mobile phones.

Twitter is a cesspool, of course. There are a lot of people there who were very clearly hoping for this attack to fit into one of their meta-narratives. First, the folks who triumphantly insisted it was an attack perpetrated by a Muslim terrorist - even a Syrian refugee - based solely on its modus operandi (as if nobody else is capable of renting a van), came out, but all but the most recalcitrant slunk back off to their holes when names and photos were released. Then, the backlash by the folks who, with seemingly equal glee, have apparently decided that Armenians are the very picture of the historically privileged white Canadian mainstream, presumably to the extent that it was Armenians that Sir John A wanted to protect when he bleated about the preservation of British Canada's "Aryan" character back in 1885, and that they are simultaneously the exactly one group of white Canadians who are so uniform that their current religious affiliation is determined solely by their name. If nothing else, it certainly goes to show the extent to which race is a social construct.

Way back when things were still up in the air, I tried spitting into the deluge and suggesting that we really can't say whether it's terrorism until we know why it was done, but the post seems to have gone unnoticed.

EDIT: Yeah, the first twitter mention - aside from one in 2013, which could well be relating to the same guy - was at 3:22 p.m. EDT. This leaves our enterprising potential troll at least 35 minutes to concoct a Facebook page, and longer if CBS News mentioned his name on air before it showed up on twitter.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 24, 2018

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
I've seen law enforcement quoted by multiple new orgs as verifying the Elliot Rodger connection. It's not exactly shocking that extreme misogyny manifests as senseless murder, it happens literally every day.

Whether or not this is classified as terrorism seems just like a dumb political football over a word that has lost all meaning, but it certainly seems like it was a hate crime.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

DynamicSloth posted:

I've seen law enforcement quoted by multiple new orgs as verifying the Elliot Rodger connection. It's not exactly shocking that extreme misogyny manifests as senseless murder, it happens literally every day.

Whether or not this is classified as terrorism seems just like a dumb political football over a word that has lost all meaning, but it certainly seems like it was a hate crime.

Could you link me to that? Right after this happened, I also saw law enforcement sources (typically American) declare him to be a known terrorist as well, which doesn't seem to have panned out.

A hate crime against whom? Men ("Chads") and women ("Staceys") more successful in dating than him? From the sounds of it, that'd be just about everyone.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Misogyny is the hatred of women. If the KKK kill a bunch of black and white civil rights workers together, you think they can go "see we killed a white guy (race traitor) too" and use that logic to escape a hate crime designation?

One sec on the links, to clarify law enforcement are also very happily saying this was not terrorism.

Edit: here's the link https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/toronto-van-attack-suspect-alek-minassian-appear-court-tuesday-morning-n868596

DynamicSloth fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 24, 2018

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Here’s the CNN link: https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/04/24/us/toronto-suspect-what-we-know/index.html

CNN is reporting the Elliot Rogers post. Seems like it is legit.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

DynamicSloth posted:

Misogyny is the hatred of women. If the KKK kill a bunch of black and white civil rights workers together, you think they can go "see we killed a white guy (race traitor) too" and use that logic to escape a hate crime designation?

One sec on the links, I'm phone posting, but it's in the most recent CNN and NBC news links. And to clarify law enforcement are also very happily saying this was not terrorism.

I know that law enforcement are saying that now. I believe them; the video of the takedown doesn't make sense to me from the perspective of a terrorist attack, since they seem to usually prefer to go out in a blaze of glory. I was pointing out that some Americans were talking out their collective asses, and that this has engendered skepticism until I see some proof.

Regarding your example: Of course not, because both the nature of the offender, being a voluntary group that now exists solely as a vehicle to express hatred toward blacks, and their selection of targets (civil rights workers working with blacks) very clearly outline their intentions. Similarly, if someone bombed a halal food store or kosher supermarket and happens to have killed non-muslims or non-Jews doing it, their intentions would still have been very clear regardless. Ditto shooting up a gay club, which these days are probably about half straight people; the intentions are still very clear. The target selection in all those cases would show a clear intent to harm members of an identifiable group in particular and in preference to others. It is the same reason I would treat a ramming attack in the middle of Harlem differently from one done on Wall Street.

It mattered to Omar Mateen that he was shooting up the Pulse nightclub and not a high school dance [E: apparently not]. It mattered to Alexandre Bissonnette that he was shooting up a mosque and not a church. It mattered to Dylann Roof that he was shooting up a specifically *black* church, and not some suburban megachurch. It matters to terrorists in Pakistan or Afghanistan that they are bombing a Shiite gathering, not a Sunni one. If you want to restrict yourself to misogyny, it matters that Elliot Rodgers' first, unsuccessful target was a sorority house.

I just don't see the same thing here, because this guy appears to have attempted to indiscriminately run down anyone and everyone who happened to have been walking on a two kilometre stretch of Yonge Street, which as Torontonians are very proud to point out contains just about every group of people imaginable. As far as I know, it could have been any street in any city in the world. When a hated group expands to include nearly everyone, hate crime - much as you described terrorism as having done - starts to lose its meaning.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 24, 2018

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Slowpoke! posted:

Here’s the CNN link: https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/04/24/us/toronto-suspect-what-we-know/index.html

CNN is reporting the Elliot Rogers post. Seems like it is legit.

That CNN article also says he was known to the authorities, which TPS have said is not the case.

I honestly think the whole Chads and Staceys post is a troll that US news reported on without verification (because they are wildly sensationalist about large attacks) and Canadian media elt forced to go with it given the viral nature of the information and lack of discomfirming information. Nobody has seemingly been able to verify the post, and numerous people responding to the Global tweet stated they looked up the FB page as soon as his name was released and did not see that post.

People are grasping for a motive so they can understand what happened. Unfortunately, at this point I don't think we have any evidence indicating why he did this.

Edit: Maclean's is only reporting it from NBC (http://www.macleans.ca/news/toronto-van-attacks-what-we-know/) and CBC is now reporting it as an unverified rumor (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-van-attack-driver-profile-alek-minassian-1.4632435
).

Goosed it. fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 24, 2018

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

quote:

The man said in a text conversation that he did not believe the attack would be politically motivated, saying he suspects his former classmate got into an accident, overreacted and panicked, asking police to shoot him in a video captured on the street by a bystander. The man said he heard that Mr. Minassian could code.

The driver had a plan for suicide by cop, and tried multiple times to play out it. This guy honestly thinks that dude got into an accident, over-reacted and panicked by actively targeting people to run down on a sidewalk?!?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

I see those links you've posted. I saw the same in the CBC. I suppose they might be better at verifying this kind of thing than I am.

In any case, if that truly reflects his motivations than the breathtaking banality of it all - man can't get laid, blames women - will be a sickening punctuation mark to a horrible act of evil.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/JesseBrown/status/988772985220861952?s=19

Yeah I'm questioning the validity of the source on this.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
It certainly seems like he wanted to suicide by cop. Good on the police for not indulging him, hopefully will discourage others from trying this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

MA-Horus posted:

The driver had a plan for suicide by cop, and tried multiple times to play out it. This guy honestly thinks that dude got into an accident, over-reacted and panicked by actively targeting people to run down on a sidewalk?!?

This guy is the guy who posted he went to school with Alek and called him retarded from an account that was all irony twitter posts. I think he tricked a bunch of Canadian news outlets.