Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Adaptabullshit posted:

That angle was great booking.
"Faces" have more manpower than the "heels"
"Heels" hate rap and love country and preach that in The South

Oh yeah. It was the lead up to an 8 man against the West Texas rednecks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
Their song 'rap is crap' actually had some decent circulation in the south despite being a joke. Not gonna lie I thought it was catchy as hell.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
If you want a heel faction to play in historical WCW territories I can't think of a better heel than Barry Windham, who old WCW/NWA fans definitely do not love to death.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ColeM posted:

Their song 'rap is crap' actually had some decent circulation in the south despite being a joke. Not gonna lie I thought it was catchy as hell.

WCW ignored/poo poo on its core audience a lot. How many times was the Nature Boy beat/humiliated in Charlotte?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Randaconda posted:

WCW ignored/poo poo on its core audience a lot. How many times was the Nature Boy beat/humiliated in Charlotte?
They were doing so badly at the end of the company's lifespan that it's like they were trying to destroy themselves, and finally killing NC as a territory was the dingleberry cherry on top of the poo poo sundae. They practically sent people into the crowds to slap people in the face and scream "gently caress Ric Flair, gently caress you, and gently caress your money!"

Funkchop
Jun 9, 2013
I think it's important to remember that the No Limit Soldiers were also just really annoying, and theres no way you can be dumb enough to fill a ring with dudes shouting "HOOTIE HOO" over and over again and expect people to like them, but WCW managed to be that stupid

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

ColeM posted:

at the time, Nashville was churning out some real computer generated garbage sp it really hit the sweet spot in station programming.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

All I remember of that period is “Crush Em” so I’m guessing that’s what you’re talking about?

Edit: yep, had a feeling

They made Goldberg use this as his theme music

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1st AD posted:

Hey it was the only good song Megadeth ever made, was a nice change of pace to see Da Man Crush Em, Berg.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

MassRafTer posted:

Hey it was the only good song Megadeth ever made, was a nice change of pace to see Da Man Crush Em, Berg.

That's heresy and you know it.

Must feel clean. Must post more.glorious Megadeth rear end kicking metal :megadeath:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d4ui9q7eDM

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Funkchop posted:

I think it's important to remember that the No Limit Soldiers were also just really annoying, and theres no way you can be dumb enough to fill a ring with dudes shouting "HOOTIE HOO" over and over again and expect people to like them, but WCW managed to be that stupid
Everything about the angle was terribly booked, but Master P being a grating unlikable shitshow would've made it impossible even if everything else had been reasonably done.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

1st AD posted:

Right around the same time as it served as the theme for the UFC game on the Dreamcast.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Funkchop posted:

Yeah people were turning on them even in the one segment before the West Texas Rednecks showed up. They were DOA.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

It's weird how even though he was supposed to be a really popular rapper in the 90s with his own giant record company and all that poo poo, I've never heard of Master P outside of his WCW stint and that song he did for the South Park soundtrack album in 1998.

These days I'd chalk that up to the fact I'm old and out of touch, but back in the mid to late 90s I used to watch hours of MTV pretty much every day and had several friends who were really into rap so I was familiar with the big names, but I don't remember anyone ever mentioning Master P even in passing. Maybe he just wasn't that well known in Europe?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

He had two #1 albums on the Hot 100 albums, one #2 and a few singles top 25 singles on the Hot singles chart all in 97-99

He's also helped to get Southern hip-hop in the mainstream by having a bunch of hits

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Master P is in kind of a weird place: he's had gold and platinum albums, but never a Top 10 single. He just didn't break out of hip-hop fandom into the mainstream like some others. Instead, he was one of the first guys to realize that you make more money as a "mogul" than as just a recording artist, and that's why he's still one of the richest rappers alive. He owned No Limit, which (via house firm Pen & Pixel) pioneered that style of album cover with a bunch of graphics crudely stacked on top of each other, that still shows up in memes people make with Blingee.

He owns a zillion other businesses, but for the most part, he didn't build them by slapping his personal brand on everything like Jay-Z did with Rocawear. So for all of these reasons, you don't have to be out-of-touch to think "Oh yeah, Master P, that guy. He did 'Make Em Say Uhhh,' and what else? He seems important but Idunno."

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 24, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doc Morbid posted:

It's weird how even though he was supposed to be a really popular rapper in the 90s with his own giant record company and all that poo poo, I've never heard of Master P outside of his WCW stint and that song he did for the South Park soundtrack album in 1998.

These days I'd chalk that up to the fact I'm old and out of touch, but back in the mid to late 90s I used to watch hours of MTV pretty much every day and had several friends who were really into rap so I was familiar with the big names, but I don't remember anyone ever mentioning Master P even in passing. Maybe he just wasn't that well known in Europe?

We gonna ride tonight
My little homey Kenny died tonight

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

Master P is in kind of a weird place: he's had gold and platinum albums, but never a Top 10 single. He just didn't break out of hip-hop fandom into the mainstream like some others. Instead, he was one of the first guys to realize that you make more money as a "mogul" than as just a recording artist, and that's why he's still one of the richest rappers alive. He owned No Limit, which (via house firm Pen & Pixel) pioneered that style of album cover with a bunch of graphics crudely stacked on top of each other, that still shows up in memes people make with Blingee.

He owns a zillion other businesses, but for the most part, he didn't build them by slapping his personal brand on everything like Jay-Z did with Rocawear. So for all of these reasons, you don't have to be out-of-touch to think "Oh yeah, Master P, that guy. He did 'Make Em Say Uhhh,' and what else? He seems important but Idunno."

His son is Lil Romeo.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I looked up some of his stuff and it seems he just wasn't popular in Europe, none of his best-known songs or albums charted over here. Certainly not in my remote neck of the woods. :finland:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

RZApublican posted:

I don't have The Death of WCW on hand but if unless I'm mistaken they signed Swoll, a guy specifically brought in for Master P's No Limit Soldiers stable, to a contract of $350,000 with a $50,000 signing bonus. From what I can find he wrestled six matches and was paid $30,890.41 before being released. I don't think Master P drew enough for him and the rest of the No Limit Soldiers.

Swoll is Master P's cousin. That is literally why they signed him. A favour for Master P because WCW thought they could get that hiphop audience by having him there.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
WCW was also under the impression he had NJPW experience.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

MassRafTer posted:

WCW was also under the impression he had NJPW experience.

cagematch records says that he had two matches in New Japan in 1991. I guess that is a kind of experience.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

worked wonders for Big Daddy Yum Yum

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Doc Morbid posted:

I looked up some of his stuff and it seems he just wasn't popular in Europe, none of his best-known songs or albums charted over here. Certainly not in my remote neck of the woods. :finland:

My elder brother was huge into hip hop at that time and even then Master P was considered wack rapper amongst the finnish scene.

I remember reading his THE SOURCE -magazines as a kid and those ragged on Master P, hard.

Asteroid Alert fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 24, 2018

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Dude owned a platinum tank. Make em say unhhhh is one of the greatest videos ever made.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cash Money was my preferred southern rap label

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfYFnQaGXEI

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
The Master P rap snacks are one of the better flavors of the bunch

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
wasn't No Limit like, incredibly exploitative of their artists, even by record label standards

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

No thats Cash Money

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.angelfire.com/in/nwo4life/index.html

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

MrBling posted:

cagematch records says that he had two matches in New Japan in 1991. I guess that is a kind of experience.

They're both "different style fights," though, which means he probably did a lot of sloppy punching and not a lot of wrestling.

Still, I guess all you need to put on your resume is "worked a match with Shinya Hashimoto"

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

I had literally forgotten web rings had ever existed

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NiceGuy posted:

I had literally forgotten web rings had ever existed

90s internet owned

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So we're in 2000 and I'm wondering...where is everybody?
How many of WCW's workers were healthy scratches so the Natural Born Thrillers could be 1/2 of the show?
I'm usually the last guy to rail against a youth movement but holy poo poo the NBT is proof of the collective failure of the power plant.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ChrisBTY posted:

So we're in 2000 and I'm wondering...where is everybody?
How many of WCW's workers were healthy scratches so the Natural Born Thrillers could be 1/2 of the show?
I'm usually the last guy to rail against a youth movement but holy poo poo the NBT is proof of the collective failure of the power plant.

Sid and DDP are the only notable healthy scratches.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 25, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

RZApublican posted:

I don't have The Death of WCW on hand but if unless I'm mistaken they signed Swoll, a guy specifically brought in for Master P's No Limit Soldiers stable, to a contract of $350,000 with a $50,000 signing bonus. From what I can find he wrestled six matches and was paid $30,890.41 before being released. I don't think Master P drew enough for him and the rest of the No Limit Soldiers.

The thing is, it's easy to list all these expenses and be like THIS IS WHY WCW FAILED but the fact is that ticket sales and buyrates covered it. Was Hogan's salary insane? Yeah but they made a profit. The real reason wcw died is people stopped going to shows and buying ppvs which was caused not by how much they spent on poo poo but by what they put on TV (so ok maybe the Hogan contract contributed to this, but not because of the monetary price).

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

corn in the bible posted:

The thing is, it's easy to list all these expenses and be like THIS IS WHY WCW FAILED but the fact is that ticket sales and buyrates covered it. Was Hogan's salary insane? Yeah but they made a profit. The real reason wcw died is people stopped going to shows and buying ppvs which was caused not by how much they spent on poo poo but by what they put on TV (so ok maybe the Hogan contract contributed to this, but not because of the monetary price).

My last point still stands, though. Master P and the No Limit Soldiers weren't over and didn't draw the money to justify hiring them. Having them on Nitro would be a zero increase in ticket sales at best. Constantly similar things like paying Kiss to be on Nitro and being contractually obligated to put the Kiss Demon in matches as a result is wasting money that won't be covered when things went downhill to the point that the big stars either stop drawing or are no longer on TV.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 25, 2018

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
what really killed them was AOL buying Time Warner and actually looking at their financials

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

RZApublican posted:

My last point still stands, though. Master P and the No Limit Soldiers weren't over and didn't draw the money to justify hiring them. Having them on Nitro would be a zero increase in ticket sales at best. Constantly similar things like paying Kiss to be on Nitro and being contractually obligated to put the Kiss Demon in matches as a result is wasting money that won't be covered when things went downhill to the point that the big stars either stop drawing or are no longer on TV.

Yeah, WCW ultimately was killed because AOL looked at their financials and were all WTF.

That's why I say their downfall started back in the Crockett days, because lovely spending was never really ever reigned in except for maybe the first year or two of Bischoff being boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

RZApublican posted:

I saw ICP wrestle at a WCW house show.