Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Bongo Bill posted:

It is implied that outrunning the cops is difficult.

and by 'implied' i presume you mean 'shown as the first scene in the movie'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Han also never attempts anything like Lando does with the Falcon in space combat. It really doesn't seem like he knows the ship half as well.

The "modifications" that these scruffy ragamuffins are always bragging about are probably nothing more than the secret compartments and quad-lasers. Maybe the gambling nook.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

shes got it where it counts, kid *han slams the wall and a murphy bed opens down and mood lighting kicks on as soft jizz begins to play*

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bongo Bill posted:

(and I believe it takes a willful misreading of the jump to hyperspace to interpret it differently)

Like I said earlier, you are overlooking the narrative form/function of ‘hyperspace’.

The first clue is in the name: it’s not called ‘hyperspeed’. Hyperspace is a space that they enter and travel through - where the characters can sit around chatting, playing board games, etc. None of them fear being intercepted, because hyperspace is a safe-zone.

“We'll be safe once we make the jump to hyperspace.”

The Lucas Star Wars films are very carefully written. The ‘once’ tells us that hyperspace is the destination. Obiwan wants a fast ship so that they can avoid the Imperials and reach hyperspace - because, once hyperspace is reached, the chase scene ends. They’re left effectively just waiting for a teleportation process to complete.

Han’s dialogue about his ability to outrun ships refers the film’s chase scenes - i.e. the scenes where ships attempt to outrun eachother - not to the scene where R2 quietly plays chess. And, in those scenes, Han is far slower than the Imperial ships.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 24, 2018

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I am NOT a Star Wars fanatic.

Here's multiple, wordy posts about how space ships work or some poo poo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

UmOk posted:

The sad horror is that all along he was the thing he despises most in this world, trapped here with the rest of his kith.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

UmOk posted:

That's not what fanaticism means.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

I thought the thing was that ships have different speeds once they enter hyperspace, and that the Millenium Falcon is extremely fast compared to stock military/transport ships. ".5 past lightspeed" isn't given context and is kind of a throwaway line, but the gist of it is that Han can make it from Tatooine to Dagobah and back in the same time that it takes Luke in a T-65 X-wing to make the trip one way. And since an X-wing has limited life support but still allows for galactic-scale travel, we can assume that these ships are moving thousands of times the speed of light (or the "galaxy far far away" is ludicrously compact).

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Han’s dialogue about his ability to outrun ships refers the film’s chase scenes

you mean the chase scene that ends with the Falcon outrunning the ships into hyperspace

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

UmOk posted:

Cancer researchers write about cancer.

Bleck posted:

you mean the chase scene that ends with the Falcon outrunning the ships into hyperspace

That’s not what ‘outrunning’ means. Outrunning means going comparatively faster, usually in the context of being pursued. You are taking it to mean escape in general, which is wrong.

Like, if Han had destroyed the pursuing ships with superior firepower, and escaped that way, that would not be ‘outrunning’. That would be ‘outgunning’.

Han is unambiguously being outrun by the ships that he claimed to be faster than. He escapes through different means.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So if he got outran...how'd he get away?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

jivjov posted:

So if he got outran...how'd he get away?

The enemy ships were outrunning Han, but Han dodged their fire long enough to teleport.

This is turning into an English lesson.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The enemy ships were outrunning Han, but Han dodged their fire long enough to teleport.

This is turning into an English lesson.

So in the end...he outran them. Gotcha.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

jivjov posted:

So in the end...he outran them. Gotcha.

No, because outrunning means to escape by going faster.

Han does not escape by going faster. He escapes by stalling for time.

He doesn’t even outmaneuver the enemy ships, since the enemies were at no point relying on maneuverability.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
He escapes by going super fast via hyperspace

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Gotta go fast.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

jivjov posted:

No, because he fully escapes at the point that he jumps into the hole.

It doesn’t matter how fast he is inside the hole, because the escape is already over.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

jivjov posted:

Going to hyperspace has nothing to do with speed

It’s exiting the stage.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
If a drongo escapes a cheetah by flying up, we do not say the drongo outran the cheetah.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I'm sure trying to convince jiv "Starkiller Base is not a Death Star" jov that hyperspace is not really about how fast your ship can go is going to go swimmingly.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Grendels Dad posted:

I'm sure trying to convince jiv "Starkiller Base is not a Death Star" jov that hyperspace is not really about how fast your ship can go is going to go swimmingly.

It’s true regardless. I am more powerful than the Star Wars fandom.

A New Hope has a separate, distinct term for merely going faster: jumping to lightspeed.

That’s fast, but not impressively so; surely the Imperial ships can also do that. That’s why Han has to jump in into hyperspace to escape.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
See also ESB where, again, the Falcon cannot outrun the Imperials.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s not fair!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Lightspeed is a word that the inhabitants of the Galaxy Far Far away use to call the speed in which they break through into Hyperspace.

It might as well mean the same thing as Hyperspace.

You're doing that thing where you're assuming poo poo in Star Wars means the same thing IRL.

Parsec. Jizz-Wailing. Lightspeed.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

AndyElusive posted:

Lightspeed is a word that the inhabitants of the Galaxy Far Far away use to call the speed in which they break through into Hyperspace.

It might as well mean the same thing as Hyperspace.

You're doing that thing where you're assuming poo poo in Star Wars means the same thing IRL.

Parsec. Jizz-Wailing. Lightspeed.

You’re trying to pull a Dogtooth with this EU nonsense, and it’s not working. None of that is in the film.

Nobody even says ‘jizz’ in the movie. That’s from some hack novelist or comic book.

Jumping to a speed means to suddenly go faster. Jumping into a space means to enter an area. Those are distinct concepts. There’s nothing in the film about needing to go fast to enter hyperspace.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

"How long until we can make the jump to lightspeed?" is not about speed?

The visual effect used does not connote speed?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bongo Bill posted:

"How long until we can make the jump to lightspeed?" is not about speed?

The visual effect used does not connote speed?

I think you’re losing track of things here. The question was not if Han can move fast in an abstract sense, but if he can specifically move faster than Imperial starships. He can’t.

Again, it’s necessary to read:

“Angle the deflector shields while I make
the calculations for the jump to light speed. Stay sharp. There's two more comin' in. They're gonna try and cut us off.”

Han announces that he’s preparing to hit the boost and suddenly accelerate to lightspeed. Luke hears this, but he’s still unimpressed. Light-speed isn’t good enough.

“Why don't you outrun 'em?! I thought you said this thing was fast!”

Luke is specifically pissed off here because they’re being shot. Luke is saying “why do you have to angle the shields?! If you were actually fast, you wouldn’t need shields. We’d be out of range by now!”

Again, Han has no response to being called out. He’s not fast, so he has to use other tactics:

“We'll be safe once we make the jump to hyperspace. Besides, I know a few maneuvers. We'll lose em'!”

So that’s Han’s plan: dodge as much fire as possible, hope the shields block the rest, and then jump into a hole.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

the real question we should be asking about the millennium falcon is why the cockpit is on the side. i hope this is addressed in solo

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

You’re trying to pull a Dogtooth with this EU nonsense, and it’s not working. None of that is in the film.

Nobody even says ‘jizz’ in the movie. That’s from some hack novelist or comic book.

Jumping to a speed means to suddenly go faster. Jumping into a space means to enter an area. Those are distinct concepts. There’s nothing in the film about needing to go fast to enter hyperspace.

quote:

Ben Kenobi: How long before you make the jump to lightspeed?

Han Solo: It'll take a few moments to get the coordinates from the navicomputer.

Luke Skywalker: [frantic] Are you kidding? At the rate they're gaining—

Han Solo: Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?

They're talking about the same thing. Lightspeed leads to Hyperspace. It's not EU garbage as much as it sounds like it -- Kenobi brings up light speed, Luke rips on Han for how slow his internet is, Han schools Luke.. The computer in Hans truck doesn't let them escape at the speed of light into the blue swirly space tunnel until it's plotted the route to the ruins of Alderaan in Google Maps.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

cuntman.net posted:

the real question we should be asking about the millennium falcon is why the cockpit is on the side. i hope this is addressed in solo

Given the number of huge ships in Star Wars which go out because a crashing fighter bounces up the middle and hits the window, it seems like a sound decision.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You guys aren't going to argue the fan who wasn't paying attention to the movie out of his fanon.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

what an inane concept, 'that thing where you assume words mean things'

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

what an inane concept, 'that thing where you assume words mean things'

:thejoke:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The idea is that you can go to lightspeed whenever you want, but without doing the nav calculations it would be suicide.

I know nobody wants to bring up the EU, but there are several times where someone does a blind jump out of desperation, so it was something that was supposed to be possible just not advisable.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

cuntman.net posted:

thats just how the Corellian Engineering Corp made it! the next Corellian freighter type had a centered cockpit tho

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

The idea is that you can go to lightspeed whenever you want, but without doing the nav calculations it would be suicide.

I know nobody wants to bring up the EU, but there are several times where someone does a blind jump out of desperation, so it was something that was supposed to be possible just not advisable.

Yeah, you don't even really need to dip into the EU. They jump without calculations in Rogue One to get away from the Death Star debris fallout, and the robot bitches about it.

In reality, space is so loving empty. Real FTL space battles might just be jumping into the fight, firing torpedos and jumping away in like 10 seconds flat. Maybe once in 1,000 years some super unlucky pilot jumps into a star.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

PostNouveau posted:

In reality, space is so loving empty. Real FTL space battles might just be jumping into the fight, firing torpedos and jumping away in like 10 seconds flat. Maybe once in 1,000 years some super unlucky pilot jumps into a star.
Sounds entertaining.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

Sounds entertaining.

Yeah, maybe there's a reason movies always have big ships and laser guns and bombing runs. :thunk:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You don’t know how gravity Wells work in hyper space

No one knows how it works because it’s made up fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

You don’t know how gravity Wells work in hyper space

No one knows how it works because it’s made up fantasy.

we kinda do tho, Rebels had those Interdictor Star Destroyers that pulled a corvette out of hyperspace