Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Asymmetrikon posted:

What's your end goal? A job in the field, personal projects, something else? Elm is probably not going to get you a job, but it is quite nice if you get to make the decision about what technology to use, as long as whatever you're making doesn't require libraries that Elm doesn't have (or you're willing to put in the effort to write those libraries yourself.) Also it probably depends on what programming languages you know; Elm is FP, so it might take more time to wrap your head around if you've just done imperative stuff so far (even then, it is designed to be pretty easy to learn for people that have never done functional programming before.)

My end goal is to make simple frontend things to show off or help me with my work/research. I'm a decently experienced functional programmer. I made my own functional language (my real job is being a compiler research academic), and one web ambition is to make some sort of in-browser REPL so people can try it out.

Athas fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Athas posted:

My end goal is to make simple frontend things to show off or help me with my work/research. I'm a decently experienced functional programmer. I made my own functional language (my real job is being a compiler research academic), and one concrete web ambitions is to make some sort of in-browser REPL so people can try it out.

if you're just loving around then go nuts

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
yeah in that case Elm for sure

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Thanks for the feedback; time for me to make a fool of myself on the https://www.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

elm is my favorite programming language. it's so good.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Athas posted:

My end goal is to make simple frontend things to show off or help me with my work/research. I'm a decently experienced functional programmer. I made my own functional language (my real job is being a compiler research academic), and one web ambition is to make some sort of in-browser REPL so people can try it out.

just provide downloadable binaries for a couple common platforms that people can try

web pages don’t need to run code

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

eschaton posted:

just provide downloadable binaries for a couple common platforms that people can try

counterpoint: web pages are a pretty common platform

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

eschaton posted:

speaking from personal experience, if you want people to tinker with a language you will get many more people to try it if they can follow a hyperlink and then immediately start using it.

Athas, if you build a browser-based sandbox for Futhark it doesn't take much more effort to include pastebin-like functionality so you can share a link to code and someone else can run and then modify it. it would be cool to see your language in a shadertoy-like environment. could also be a really nice way to obtain a corpus of smallish programs written by not-you for regression testing purposes.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

eschaton posted:

This is good advice to get a small fraction of the people you'd otherwise get to be interested in your project

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
elm does seem cool

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
elm is one dude at one companies pet project and gently caress you if you don't follow his rules

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Thermopyle posted:

This is good advice to get a small fraction of the people you'd otherwise get to be interested in your project

it gets all the right people, though

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i really like websites that give you a scratchpad for some language—when your coworker asks “what happens if I do XYZ using the standard lib” and you can just confirm and share the behavior without idk “paste this gist into your IDE and hit run” that’s very nice

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
we used to do repls without websites too you know

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Malcolm XML posted:

unix is two dudes at one companies pet project and gently caress you if you don't follow their rules

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

DELETE CASCADE posted:

we used to do repls without websites too you know

drat kids these days am i right?

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
you should require people to use futhark to write Futhark

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

the desktop is dead, because google needs it to be

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

also being web based brings benefits (as well as the opposite of course)

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

carry on then posted:

the desktop is dead, because google needs it to be

True from where I'm standing

----
Sent from my Chromebook Pixel
----

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

prisoner of waffles posted:

my Chromebook Pixel

lol

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Thermopyle posted:

also being web based brings benefits

name three

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Thermopyle posted:

also being web based brings benefits (as well as the opposite of course)

Feel free to enumerate those benefits. If it doesn't include at least 5 weeks paid vacation and 100% medical I'm a hard pass.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

i really don't care like at all if webapps use more of my computers resources as long as I have enough resources for them to be responsive enough. like gently caress if i care if google play music sits there using 25% of my CPU instead of the 2% winamp or whatever the nerds are using nowadays. when using gpm, i have all music at all times everywhere and forever with zero effort on my part

i mean, on some theoretical level it's hilarious that faster CPUs are being used to run javascript apps at some portion of the speed of an application from the year 2000, but whatever...we're using CPU performance to pay for other conveniences

as far as the ui/ux inconsistencies from app to app...meh, i think the massive success of the web has shown that most people don't care, or at least dont care enough for it to matter that much. and I don't think native apps are shining example of ui/ux consistency anyway

as we know all software sucks really bad, i just think webapps suck a little bit less in areas that matter more to me

(immediately being able to use them on any PC at any time and basically zero backup/restore shenanigans...if I switch computers, I install Chrome and I'm immediately back to 95% of my functioning capacity)

(the less effort and thought I have to put into maintaining the mundane parts of my digital stuff the better, and webapps are a big step to easing that)

(waiting for Google to lose all my information)

(also waiting for me to lose my job/income and only be able to afford poo poo computers and all of a sudden i'll care a lot about performance)

basically, I agree with all the critiques of webapps...they just don't matter much to me

some other reasons I basically live in web apps and distribute my applications as web apps:

instantly deploy new code to users
easy customization of the UI of applications I use but are developed by others
most native UI toolkits are ugly

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

of course, someone will now list all the bad parts and i probably will not disagree

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
post limit wont let me list all the bad parts

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

computers bad

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
what a difference one makes

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
javascript sucks but being able to just go to a website and use the application is so much nicer than having to download and install poo poo

also sometimes i make dumb games in my spare time and you'll get way, way more people to try your game if it's just a website and they don't have to install something

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

HappyHippo posted:

javascript sucks but being able to just go to a website and use the application is so much nicer than having to download and install poo poo

nice toy apps lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

carry on then posted:

nice toy apps lol

toy apps get me paid

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
my actual job doesn't involve any web apps, just speaking from a user perspective

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

i can't wait until every application i use has a loving url bar at the top because some bootcamp coder doesn't want to have to drag an icon from their downloads to their applications folder

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

most users aren't coders at all

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

i can't wait until my taskbar is just 25 browser windows. who needs window management.

and of course you loving weenies will say "window management was bad anyway" as if that matters at all

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

can't wait to be unable to use my ide if i don't have a net connection. everyone lives in san francisco!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

gently caress you

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

carry on then posted:

can't wait to be unable to use my ide if i don't have a net connection. everyone lives in san francisco!

I think if you put all your services in us-east-1 you have most of your bases covered.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

but how do you really feel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Also, each of my most used web apps has its own window without an address bar and it's own icon

Also, web apps can run locally without an internet connection

Also, many don't bother implementing that, so that's bad