Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
They should just cremate the body and feed it to pigs, who the gently caress gives a poo poo about some colonial puppet dictator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Wait, is the body (it? he? I don't know what the proper pronoun is for dead Iranian royalty) an actual Egypt-style specially-prepared mummy or is it just an ordinary dried and desiccated corpse?

an ordinary dried and dessicated corpse is still Mummified, so a little weird but not necessarily WRONG to call it a "mummy."

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Weirdest news of the day is definitely Reza Shah's mummy being found in Tehran during construction excavation in the city. His tomb was destroyed during the revolution in '79 and the body was never found. Everything to do with the Shah's is illegal and there's rumors that Khamenei and some hardliners are pushing for the body to be destroyed. The surviving Pahlavi took to Twitter to demand transparency from the regime and there's reports of protests being planned in the event of the body being destroyed, which wouldn't surprise me a bit with how much support there was for pro-Shah talking points during the last major protests. If something happens I demand it be called the mummy riots.
Yeah they definitively don't want his remain to become a pilgrimage point for the old regime supporters and younger opponents. So it will be destroyed for the same reason Ben Laden got a sea burial.

Al-Saqr posted:

They should just cremate the body and feed it to pigs, who the gently caress gives a poo poo about some colonial puppet dictator.
The same people who were applauding Bolton a few month back when he went Persia Delenda est.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Apr 24, 2018

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

reignonyourparade posted:

an ordinary dried and dessicated corpse is still Mummified, so a little weird but not necessarily WRONG to call it a "mummy."

Look at the guy, I'm not NOT calling him a mummy.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlirezaNader/status/988529047838785538/photo/1

I love how he's just half buried in rubble completely exposed to the elements. It's like someone moved a rock and oh look a king.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

https://mobile.twitter.com/joshledermanAP/status/988724018013528064

Just lmao at the idea of some redneck in Nebraska buying this thing for $13 at the local Wal-Mart.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

That is extremely a mummy

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

El Disco posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/joshledermanAP/status/988724018013528064

Just lmao at the idea of some redneck in Nebraska buying this thing for $13 at the local Wal-Mart.

Was this already shared in this thread? I've definitely seen this before. I'm wondering now if I saw it in person, though that seems unlikely.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
It was posted in the thread before. I was under the impression it was being given out free though - are they charging for it? Whatever about people picking it up for free and flicking through it I can't see many Americans randomly deciding to actually spend money on the thing.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Trump's saying the new Iran deal should include terms on Syria, Iraq and Yemen, so it's loving dead unless Iran decides whatever assurances the Europeans provide are worth staying in even without the US. If they do leave, it'll be super fun renegotiating once they've actually proven a nuclear capability like North Korea (whose leader Trump said today is very honorable).

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Sinteres posted:

Trump's saying the new Iran deal should include terms on Syria, Iraq and Yemen, so it's loving dead unless Iran decides whatever assurances the Europeans provide are worth staying in even without the US. If they do leave, it'll be super fun renegotiating once they've actually proven a nuclear capability like North Korea (whose leader Trump said today is very honorable).
Yes, it's probably going to be the Paris treaty of diplomacy in middle east, the us out of it, the EU staying in. How will it work? :suicide:
I don't believe Trump consider his diplomatic actions in Korea and Iran as connected to each other. He should but what he think is all that matter to him, so most likely no.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 24, 2018

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Demonstrating to every country exactly why they need nuclear capability seems like a great and not at all dangerous idea.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Sorties by different aircraft types of the Rafidi air force.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Sinteres posted:

According to Trump, the deal should have been dead as soon as he took office, and yet here we are.

The deal is harder to kill than he lets on. There is a lot of pressure from a wide range of people and groups to keep the deal going.

And even if Trump de-certifies Iran, that's only the first step in shutting down the deal. The US is only one party among 6 thats involved, and there's more steps after the de-certification. Europe, Russia and China would likely try to keep the deal in some form if the US backs out.

So don't go writing its eulogy yet.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Iran's play in Syria, while completely opportunistic, is a part of a larger strategy, with ballistic missiles, to create a lever arm for deterrence. Note how many years it's been since talk of a direct strike and Iran closing Hormuz. It's been successful and that's what's unacceptable to Israel/KSA. I've read too many "analyses" from "experts" doubting the reasoning behind Iranian intervention in Syria. They're stupid or clearly ideological. Sadly, it's what gets in print.

Returning to Hormuz, years ago closing Hormuz and Hezbollah - itself not a wholly reliable asset - were the only recourse for deterrence. With direct presence in Syria, they have four lever arms (including rockets, eh) and revisiting enrichment is not necessary - especially given the cost and how they're currently overextended in resources & geopolitics. Right now the currency crisis is the closest existential threat, not foreign intervention. Seeing as though the US has been a bad player on sanctions post-deal, I doubt anyone in Iranian planning had expectations of US trade bringing in currency - so US withdrawal has limited effect.

The US will pull out, but if US waives European firms for business with Iran - I suspect Iran will stick to the program while trying to extract concessions from RUS/China/India. One irony of the NK thaw is that Iran is one of the largest trade partners and would possibly benefit if NK liberalizes. Re: China: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-idUSKBN1E90KI

In a best case scenario for everyone, the biggest loser of the US withdrawing would be the US. Boeing gets screwed and the American people who will continue to suffer with tasteless, water-hungry CA pistachios and inferior Spanish saffron.

If US punishes non-US firms for Iran trade...there's going to be some diplomatic strife between US-EU. No idea what comes next...

Re: India: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-india-iran/india-iran-sign-pact-during-rouhani-visit-on-leasing-port-idUSKCN1G10GS
http://www.dw.com/en/can-india-challenge-china-with-new-iranian-chabahar-port/a-41659083

A note: Iran has been doing a reasonable job of balancing India vs China. They'll keep pushing this conflict to extract what they can from the highest bidder, in a sense.

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 24, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

guidoanselmi posted:

If US punishes non-US firms for Iran trade...there's going to be some diplomatic strife between US-EU. No idea what comes next...
EU companies need to completely stop to use US dollars for trade except when trading with the US directly.

Yeah, Iran is an essential part of India's plans to avoid containment by China. See this.

India needing good relationships with Muslim countries such as Iran but also Qatar, Bahrein, the United Arab Emirates, as well as Malaysia and Indonesia, is the biggest thing moderating Modi's anti-Muslim tendancies.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Neat, I didn't know Iran and India had that kind of relationship.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Trump's effort to pull together a coalition of suckers to pay for/replace our troops in eastern Syria hit another speedbump:

https://twitter.com/Ola_Salem/status/988866334737027072

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The US can't possibly start a trade war with the EU for not backing out of the Iran Nuclear Deal along with them... And then I remember that your presidenty is mr. Trump

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
surely he can't be that insane. the deep state surely has enough power to stop him from doing something like that. yeah?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Cat Mattress posted:

EU companies need to completely stop to use US dollars for trade except when trading with the US directly.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-iran-currency-euro/iran-switches-from-dollar-to-euro-for-official-reporting-currency-idUSKBN1HP25W

quote:

Foreign firms can be exposed to sanctions if they do Iranian deals in dollars, even if the operations involve non-U.S. branches.

As a result, France will start offering euro-denominated credits to Iranian buyers of its goods later this year to keep its trade out of reach of U.S. sanctions, the head of state-owned French investment bank Bpifrance said in February.

Not quite dumping the dollar, but precautions to evade sanctions already rolling out.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Diminishing the dollar's status as the primary international currency to own the libs mullahs.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

lollontee posted:

surely he can't be that insane. the deep state surely has enough power to stop him from doing something like that. yeah?
Yes, he can and no, probably not powerful enough those days. But hey you may manage to impeach him and at the current speed of investigation, his impeachment Senate trial (during which he may lose his presidency, if 2/3 of the senate vote for conviction, fat chances) will probably start during the middle of the next reelection campaign, giving him the perfect media platform. I can't wait for the next US presidential election :suicide:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm going to impeach trump fpr interfereing in the finnish presideatial elections

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cat Mattress posted:

Modi's anti-Muslim tendancies.

What anti-Muslim tendencies?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

svenkatesh posted:

What anti-Muslim tendencies?

uh the dude did nothing to stop anti-muslim pogroms in Gujarat back in 2002 when he was chief minister of the state

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Sinteres posted:

Trump's effort to pull together a coalition of suckers to pay for/replace our troops in eastern Syria hit another speedbump:

https://twitter.com/Ola_Salem/status/988866334737027072

hahahahahaha ok

e: more detail

https://twitter.com/Ola_Salem/status/988867321484726272

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Darkman Fanpage posted:

uh the dude did nothing to stop anti-muslim pogroms in Gujarat back in 2002 when he was chief minister of the state

He was tried and found innocent.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Who are you the Modi defense force?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

svenkatesh posted:

If there's one thing we can be sure of in this world, it's that the wealthy and powerful are always held responsible for their crimes, especially in a country with with low levels of corruption like India.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

svenkatesh posted:

Did you really just write that?

And what about local members of Modi's own party making approving comments about Hindu fanatics raping a 9(?) year old Muslim girl?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Given that Modi is the leader of the BJP, a party that is based around the ideology of Hindu supremacy, he is quite clearly going to have significant biases against Muslims. This is reflected in the increasing tensions between Hindu and Muslim communities since his election in 2014, many of these tensions coming from increased antagonising of Muslims with the tacit support of the state.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

If I remember correctly, Turkey even sent some troops there to poke Saudi's in the eye back when this poo poo erupted over there. Something tells me that after their recent success in Afrin, the Qatari regime wouldn't just 'fall in less than a week' if Turkish troops did commit to its defense instead of the US.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 25, 2018

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Saying "If the US pulled out of Qatar, they'd fall" is still pretty pointless, because the US military isn't going anywhere any time soon. The biggest base in Qatar isn't some little base. It's loving massive with multiple major headquarters. And it's not the only base in Qatar.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's still Qatar's base tho. The US could find a way around utilizing it. I'm sure MBS would be happy to open up the pocketbook to stick his finger in Qatar's eye. That said, it's not gonna happen. Idk the contract details but this isn't the sort of thing you can pull off on a whim. It'd have to be a piece of a full on gently caress Qatar campaign I don't think there's much desire for that in Washington.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Volkerball posted:

The US could find a way around utilizing it.

This is technically true, but only at extreme cost and pain in the rear end.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm also not sure that US politicians are all that eager to effectively push a(nother) ME state into Iran's orbit. Because what else could Qatar do if America cuts off support?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Blut posted:

It was posted in the thread before. I was under the impression it was being given out free though - are they charging for it? Whatever about people picking it up for free and flicking through it I can't see many Americans randomly deciding to actually spend money on the thing.

The new part is that the Saudi embassy got an advance copy.

Also yes this thing costs money

quote:

And at $13.99 a copy and with no advertisements, the publication seems unlikely to be a money-maker.

The publisher claims they'll make a profit, but I think that's BS. It's likely that the Saudis paid for all of this as a PR campaign.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
$13.99 is ridiculously expensive for what is basically a magazine length advert though. I guess the only way a thing like that makes money is if they have a deal to sell the magazine to a bunch of business's to put out in reception. I mean, nobody is spending $13.99 to read such flagrant propaganda bigging up a foreign nation surely...

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Did you really just write that?

And what about local members of Modi's own party making approving comments about Hindu fanatics raping a 9(?) year old Muslim girl?

Do you have a source for this? I can't imagine this being true, jaded as I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Count Roland posted:

Do you have a source for this? I can't imagine this being true, jaded as I am.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.1251e1f10420

quote:

An 8-year-old girl’s gang rape and murder trigger new outrage over India’s rape culture

KATHUA, India — The young girl’s body lay for three days in the forest where they left her.

Eight-year-old Asifa Bano had been raped, strangled with her own scarf and bashed in the skull with a rock, police said.

The case — one more devastating example of child rape and killing in a country where such crimes are rising — attracted little attention until last week, when police charged one juvenile and seven men, including four police officers, in the girl’s death. Police allege that they kidnapped Asifa as she tended to her family’s horses, held her for days in a remote shrine and raped her repeatedly before killing her.

Asifa was Muslim. Her alleged assailants are Hindu, a circumstance ripe for conflict in a ­Hindu-dominated area in one of the most polarized states in India, where religious tensions and ­nationalism are rising under the conservative government of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

In the same week, a lawmaker from Modi’s governing Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) was arrested and charged with raping a teenager in the state of Uttar Pradesh. The rape cases pierced the public consciousness in a way unseen since the 2012 rape and murder of a college student that resulted in widespread calls for tighter rape laws in India.

The reverberations from the arrests in the 8-year-old’s death were immediate. On one side, lawyers from the local bar association — their black robes billowing — tried to block police from filing arrest papers in court, arguing that the Hindu men were being framed. Two state BJP ministers were accused of attending a rally in support of the alleged assailants.

Party officials ultimately forced the two ministers to resign. Modi has vowed that the crimes will be prosecuted, but urged that the case not be politicized.

“When a young girl is raped, it is such a heart-wrenching incident,” Modi said Wednesday at an event in London. “I believe that there cannot be a more wrong path to take. Rape is rape. With a daughter, this injustice, how can we tolerate it?”

Over the weekend, hundreds gathered in cities throughout ­India to protest the child’s killing, waving signs and accusing Modi’s government of not doing enough to protect women. A group of former civil servants wrote an open letter to Modi decrying the “culture of majoritarian belligerence” of right-wing Hindu groups, adding that this is the country’s “darkest hour” since its independence. Even members of Modi’s party said they were ashamed of what was happening.

“The BJP has been acting as apologist for these criminals. It’s absolutely inexcusable,” said Yashwant Sinha, a former finance minister and prominent BJP leader.

Alleged plot against tribes

The young girl with curly brown hair often took her family’s horses to a nearby meadow to graze, including a white horse, her favorite, that she called “Beautiful.” Her family is part of a nomadic Muslim tribe that stayed in the Kathua area during the winter and then took their sheep, goats and horses higher in the Himalayas to graze during the summer.

The restive state of Jammu and Kashmir, which includes the ­conflict-ridden and disputed Kashmir valley, is debating whether such tribes can continue to use protected land for grazing.

In January, police alleged in charging documents that a retired revenue clerk named Sanji Ram came up with a plan he hoped would rid the area of the nomadic tribes. Police say one of the men kidnapped the girl from the field and dragged her to a small shrine, where she was drugged and locked up for at least four days, and repeatedly gang-raped. At one point, police said, Ram’s son was called from another state to “satisfy his lust” with the girl. Eventually, they decided to kill her, police said. Local residents led officers to her body in a forested area on Jan. 17.

Ram’s lawyer, Ankur Sharma, who also represents Ram’s son and one of the police officers, said the suspects are innocent. “We don’t know who killed that poor little girl,” he said. They pleaded not guilty to the crime in a court hearing Monday.

Sharma said the case was a state conspiracy to demoralize the local Hindu population so they won’t protest what he called the “demographic invasion” of Muslims in the area.

In Uttar Pradesh, after a teenage girl who was raped tried to light herself on fire in front of the chief minister’s house to protest police inaction in her case, BJP lawmaker Kuldeep Singh Sengar was charged last week with the attack. According to a high court judge’s ruling that ordered Sengar’s arrest, the girl’s father was beaten by the politician’s aides and later died in police custody. The judge complained that it was “disturbing” that “law-and-order machinery and the government officials were directly in league and under the influence” of Sengar.

“I think undoubtedly the issue here and the cause for outrage and people’s anger is the fact that the BJP is clearly protecting those accused in these cases,” said Kavita Krishnan, secretary of the All India Progressive Women’s Association.

Choudhary Lal Singh, one of the state ministers forced to resign last week, rejected this assessment in an interview Tuesday. He questioned the validity of the police investigation of Asifa’s case, calling for a new inquiry into the child’s death to be done by India’s Central Bureau of Investigation, the national investigating agency.

“No BJP person is supporting any accused,” he said. “When they demand a CBI inquiry, that’s not defending the accused. It’s very clear in India if there is any disputes which are controversial, they make a CBI inquiry. Why not this case?”

Hundreds of supporters greeted Singh and cheered his name Tuesday at his expansive white bungalow not far from the victim’s home, as he arrived in a white sport-utility vehicle with marigold blossom garland.

'I feel her absence'
The small shrine where Asifa was kept — a one-story concrete building painted pink, with bars on the windows — is now locked, as is the simple home where the young girl lived with her aunt and uncle, who adopted her when she was 6 months old, and two cousins.

Asifa’s adoptive father, Mohammad Yousuf Pujwala, 45, said the family is still in shock about her death.

“Now every moment I feel her absence,” he said. “Everything reminds me of her — her clothes, her place at the table, the horses.

“She played with all the children,” he added. “She didn’t know the difference between a Muslim and a Hindu. She was only 8 years old.”

He said the family is afraid to return to the village, where what police called a long-standing ­“rivalry” between the nomadic Muslims and the local Hindu community has deepened since his daughter’s death. The family was not able to bury Asifa in the local graveyard, he said, because a group of Hindus showed up and threatened them.

Fearing for their safety, the family has fled the village with their livestock and headed to higher altitudes. His wife, Naseema, still cries every day, he said, adding: “We hope justice will be delivered.”

It's utterly disgusting.