Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Caros posted:

You're totally correct. I honestly think they did a way better job of this than the x-com reboot, or even X-com 2. You can tell at a glance, even with a streamer, whether or not they're going to be able to shoot something from a place before they move.

Which is all great if that was what I was talking about at all. Once again, it's not about what YOU will be able to see when YOU move, but what your opponent will be able to see when they move. Like in the clip I posted it would have been perfectly reasonable to assume that building would have blocked line of sight, but it didn't. So you do all your tactical positioning , make sure you're got some hard cover to your flank, but lol that building doesn't count so suck it. There's no way to know that in advance really.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Cowcaster posted:

general scuttlebutt seems to be based on the outcome of the lawsuit against PGI, Harebrained might officially patch them in down the line, but even without waiting for that modders have been hard at work taking care of the issues themselves.

MWO meshes exist for a bunch of the Unseen and will be modded in today. Take it to the bank.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

What, like you don't bellow status updates unconsciously?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Is there infantry or non-tank vehicles? I havn't seen any.

Can I rename the NPC's? Or change their faces to a jpg of my choice?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

lofi posted:

What, like you don't bellow status updates unconsciously?

I describe everything that's happening to my dog, who I suspect doesn't really know anything about the mechanics but seems happy to just be a part of the process all the same.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Comstar posted:

No and not in game. You can modify the files directly to gently caress with NPCs

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Zore posted:

No and not in game. You can modify the files directly to gently caress with NPCs

Can you make then sound like the characters from Team Fortress? That way I can remember whose the scout, the sniper, the heavy etc.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

FunkMonkey posted:

I describe everything that's happening to my dog, who I suspect doesn't really know anything about the mechanics but seems happy to just be a part of the process all the same.

Clan Woof

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Mazreal posted:

Looking at that mech list made me realize they took the marauder out of the game for that stupid lawsuit.
Really hope they get patched in or something now that that isn't a thing anymore.

It's still a thing. HG's lawsuit against HBS was dropped but that was over different mechs. HG is still suing PGI who HBS licensed the mech models from, so don't expect to see any Macross Unseen in the game until that is (favorably) over.

Officially anyways, we can always hope modders get it figured out, which they were making good strides towards in beta.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Comstar posted:

If the beta is any indication, you can modify your lancemates directly via JSON file editing. Character portraits are 256x256 PNGs and support transparency.

You can also add custom company insignias, and those need to be in .dds format, 256x256.

We'll know more for certain when the game launches in two hours.

No infantry, but there are wheeled vehicles IIRC (a few of the missile launchers are wheeled). You cannot command wheeled vehicles.

edit: also, we know that a post-launch update is going to feature an in-game mechwarrior editor so you don't have to fiddle with text files.

Comstar posted:

Can you make then sound like the characters from Team Fortress? That way I can remember whose the scout, the sniper, the heavy etc.

I sense facetiousness :v: but it does seem like modding in more voice sets should be possible.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 24, 2018

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PehWC3fAAQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoCrEuov6cY

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

SpaceDrake posted:

MWO meshes exist for a bunch of the Unseen and will be modded in today. Take it to the bank.

this mech's just like bart

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

The real goal of this game is to see how many King Crabs you can accumulate.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I mounted a Long Tom on one of my 'mechs back in MW4 and basically used it as a super-autocannon.

Those were Long Tom cannons. The artillery cannons are basically the sawn-off ultra-light howitzer counterparts to the full-size artillery guns. The Mobile Long Tom is a land train carrying a gun the size of a WW2-era railway artillery piece.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Zore posted:

Sweet. I was hoping that was the case.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I just saw the character customization and it says, "pronoun". That's way too weird. Can you add the option so I can specifically pick male or female? It breaks immersion not to specify sex with absolute clarity. The pronoun is just way too vague and political because it's not logical. Other than this issue, the rest of the game looks great, thanks for hearing me out.

Just to clarify, I don't mind the pronoun option, but just please add a gender/sex tab so I can specifically know that my character has the correct anatomy. It's kind of weird and disturbing not knowing with absolute clarity that my character may not be male or female.

I'm sorry if I don't know how to speak in a way that doesn't offend anyone, I'm old school, sorry!

UPDATE: I want to thank the mods for not deleting my post and banning me. I'm very impressed you let me speak my mind and ideals. It's rare to not be banned by left leaning types. You have my deepest respects for letting me bring this issue up. Thanks.

UPDATE: Well, they locked the post... Leftists simply don't have the capacity for logical discussion. It's sad. They used to not be like this. Vote for Trump in 2020 to get back at them.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive has started. And these guys need to stop trying to be funny.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

That's some hair on that twitch streamer there. :stare:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Phi230 posted:

I just saw the character customization and it says, "pronoun". That's way too weird. Can you add the option so I can specifically pick male or female? It breaks immersion not to specify sex with absolute clarity. The pronoun is just way too vague and political because it's not logical. Other than this issue, the rest of the game looks great, thanks for hearing me out.

Just to clarify, I don't mind the pronoun option, but just please add a gender/sex tab so I can specifically know that my character has the correct anatomy. It's kind of weird and disturbing not knowing with absolute clarity that my character may not be male or female.

I'm sorry if I don't know how to speak in a way that doesn't offend anyone, I'm old school, sorry!

UPDATE: I want to thank the mods for not deleting my post and banning me. I'm very impressed you let me speak my mind and ideals. It's rare to not be banned by left leaning types. You have my deepest respects for letting me bring this issue up. Thanks.

UPDATE: Well, they locked the post... Leftists simply don't have the capacity for logical discussion. It's sad. They used to not be like this. Vote for Trump in 2020 to get back at them.

Is that a quote off a different board or something?

I hate it when people just post poo poo they read somehwere else without indicating, you know, that they read it somewhere else.

I say this both as a normal poster who used to read the incel thread a lot and a mod who has to look at poo poo like this in another forum and go "wtf did a good poster go insane or is he reading reddit again?"

edit: posting from work. the wait. it's killing me.

This is like being in middle school again, staring at that loving clock, WILLING it to move faster so I can go home and shoot robots with my buddies.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It's a quote but when in doubt :redhammer:

WMain00 posted:

That's some hair on that twitch streamer there. :stare:

That's noted Goon, Cknoor.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
personally it seems like a huge oversight not to include an option for faster or skippable animations in any strategy game in 2018.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Phi230 posted:

Source yo quotes

Honestly, I saw that thread, and I was amazed and delighted the Reddit reacted as well as it did about it. And it was also depressing to see that the guy was legitimately afraid that his character might "be transgender" because he couldn't specifically assign gender. It's in your head, my dude, you get to make that choice yourself.

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is like being in middle school again, staring at that loving clock, WILLING it to move faster so I can go home and shoot robots with my buddies.

Much of this year has gone by way faster than I'm really comfortable with but the past 72 hours have loving crawled by.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is that a quote off a different board or something?

I hate it when people just post poo poo they read somehwere else without indicating, you know, that they read it somewhere else.

I say this both as a normal poster who used to read the incel thread a lot and a mod who has to look at poo poo like this in another forum and go "wtf did a good poster go insane or is he reading reddit again?"

It's Reddit.

Edit: lol that poster then went on to post threads titled "I don't want to use your preferred pronouns" in four separate LGBT+ related subreddits. I'd have just outright banned him from /r/battletech but the admin didn't give me those permissions (even though they're pretty much never active in the sub anymore).

Drone fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 24, 2018

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'll be surprised if a speed-up option isn't added eventually, especially based on HBS's track record. Remember how mid-mission saves didn't make it in for the original version of Shadowrun?

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

bongwizzard posted:

How fussy/detailed is the mech building/combat? Like, if XCOM is a 5 and JA2 is a 10, where does this thing fall?

My take so far (from watching, haven't played yet): Combat looks about XCOM level. Worth keeping in mind that it's based on a fairly complex board game, but the bulk of the complexity and micromanagement is being done under the hood. From what I've seen the interface for combat is really solid and the presentation of line-of-sight and hit chance and management of movement and firing looks really good. I think there's some fairly well implemented and innovative stuff in there. There's a lot going on, but it doesn't look fiddly. The mech management/loadout looks a lot more complicated than it actually is. There's a lot more to consider with regards to loadout than XCOM/JA that has a direct impact on combat and how you play. It's detailed, but I don't think it's fussy. I don't know how much you have to engage with it to just play the game, but for a lot of people this (customising your mechs) essentially is a major part of what makes the game attractive to them. You'll also have a much smaller roster (both in reserve and deployed) than in something like XCOM, so more granular loadouts are more manageable. The base/metagame stuff looks a lot lighter (and a lot more relaxed) than XCOM and a lot less annoying than JA.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 24, 2018

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

NmareBfly posted:

I'll be surprised if a speed-up option isn't added eventually, especially based on HBS's track record. Remember how mid-mission saves didn't make it in for the original version of Shadowrun?

It's also exactly the kind of thing that gets put on the back burner until after release. They've been all hands on deck getting the game to a shippable state, and now they can take time to work on smaller quality of life stuff based on feed back after the release.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Do I really have to wait till 10 AM to play? :bang:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Chichevache posted:

1 hour, 38 minutes as of this post. I'd buckle up.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Aramoro posted:

XCom tells you that you have cover from the left, right, front etc. Battletech does not. In that clip it would not be unreasonble to think that the if the locust moved to where it did then it wouldn't be able to shoot because there's a building in the way.

Nah whenever you are moving you can see a big giant red line from the mech to the target. No red line means no line of sight.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
It looks like there is no combat log to go back and see what happened in an attack? Which seems a minor flaw too. Especially when some dinky light mech comes up and pops your cockpit, it can be soothing to open up the log and see what their actual chances to hit were and stuff.

Most of the animations look okay but a bit janky (especially the attacks, pause, results) but seeing a streamer try to walk a locust with a broken leg was painful. Didn't seem to reduce it's movement range much, just take twice as long to animate.

Stuff that's hopefully all patchable and stuff. But if someone said "I'd rather just play more War of the Chosen." I couldn't call them a hypcrite. (Though some of the lost appearing animations in that are uuugh too.)

Still pretty hype. Hoping to buy and play if I can stop Warframe from eating my life. :P

EDIT:

kingcom posted:

Nah whenever you are moving you can see a big giant red line from the mech to the target. No red line means no line of sight.

It's not about if you can shoot the enemy. it's about where the enemy can shoot you from after they move (as they almost always will.)

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

SO happy I took the day off for this poo poo. Gonna get me a huge plate of steak nachos from the local Mexican place and spend all day playing Battletech till my eyes roll out.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Impermanent posted:

personally it seems like a huge oversight not to include an option for faster or skippable animations in any strategy game in 2018.

You can turn off the fancy camera work, which speeds up gameplay a lot.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

kingcom posted:

Are you trolling at this point or just an idiot? Genuine question as I can't tell anymore. You're like the 4 person in this thread to post exactly which misses the point entirely.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I'll give my two cents as someone who played a bunch of the beta:

(note that this was the beta. Not the version that's launching in a couple hours, etc.)

I felt like the animations were paced OK. I can see how some people would think they were a touch slow, but frankly it didn't detract from the game for me. That said, I can see why it might not be for some people. It's a much more deliberately paced game than a lot of other things out there. A comparison to MechCommander is apt: MC was frantic in its RTS-ness at times, and in this way I always thought it had a bit of a disconnect from what I always associated with that universe. Playing the beta felt really "right" as someone who grew up with the TT and got to the point where I was that guy calculating to-hit and chances on the fly in my head and not needing to look at the tables to figure out locations. Slower than a lot of games today, but not what I would call plodding. Perhaps "measured" is a better term.

I never noticed the cover system being wonky. To be frank, cover in a battletech game is always kind of an all or nothing thing. Is your mech behind a gently caress off huge boulder or a mesa or a cliff or something that obscures line of sight? Great. You're good. Can someone see it? You're in a 100 ton humaniod war machine and they are using computer assisted targeting to hit your rear end. If they can see the top half of your mech over that house you're still literally the size of the proverbial broad side of a barn. In the beta I always felt pretty OK with how the information was presented to me as far as whether or not the enemy was going to be able to hit me. Some of the specific icons depicting things like being in the woods etc could be a big wonky, but I think they overhauled that since beta.

Was it XCOM's "full, partial, none" cover system? No. It's something different than that and something that I thought worked pretty well.

The XCOM comparisons are going to happen, but to me it always felt a lot more like the older turn based armor heavy war games that used to be popular. The old Combat Mission games come to mind.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Chichevache posted:

be glad you're not me: I got the gog option from my pledge because I want the DRM free version, so I don't get to preload and I'm currently at my parents' place, so downstream is ~200kb/s.
:rip: me

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

I know I bitched about the bitching about graphics bugs, so I'll concede you have a point. Since the game's pretty good at tracking LOS anyway, maybe there should be a way to highlight visible hexes when you choose a position to move to? Just so you know that that those rocks are, in fact, concealing you from that angle of attack or whatever.

Also I second a combat log, it'd be nice to see what hits where.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tylana posted:

It looks like there is no combat log to go back and see what happened in an attack? Which seems a minor flaw too. Especially when some dinky light mech comes up and pops your cockpit, it can be soothing to open up the log and see what their actual chances to hit were and stuff.

Most of the animations look okay but a bit janky (especially the attacks, pause, results) but seeing a streamer try to walk a locust with a broken leg was painful. Didn't seem to reduce it's movement range much, just take twice as long to animate.

Stuff that's hopefully all patchable and stuff. But if someone said "I'd rather just play more War of the Chosen." I couldn't call them a hypcrite. (Though some of the lost appearing animations in that are uuugh too.)

Still pretty hype. Hoping to buy and play if I can stop Warframe from eating my life. :P

EDIT:

It's not about if you can shoot the enemy. it's about where the enemy can shoot you from after they move (as they almost always will.)

the in combat pauses are a way of having a pseudo-combat log. instead of all of the missiles hitting at once and the mech falling over, you can see all of the damage that they did piece by piece, and tell if the mech died from loss of legs, pilot death or got cored.

i'm not sure that xcom2 is the best choice of an animation bug free game. in the mac version at least, there are still absurd bugs. frequently, my soldiers point their gun at right angles to what they are actually firing at, or jump through the floor. there is also the bug that made mission loading screens last for 10 minutes (took a year to fix), the bug that causes the game to pause for like 10 seconds whenever a sound clip plays (partially fixed), or the intermittant crash to deskop on loading a save introduced in war of the chosen.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Axetrain posted:

The real goal of this game is to see how many King Crabs you can accumulate.

Don’t quote me without sourcing it, rude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

GoluboiOgon posted:

the in combat pauses are a way of having a pseudo-combat log. instead of all of the missiles hitting at once and the mech falling over, you can see all of the damage that they did piece by piece, and tell if the mech died from loss of legs, pilot death or got cored.

i'm not sure that xcom2 is the best choice of an animation bug free game. in the mac version at least, there are still absurd bugs. frequently, my soldiers point their gun at right angles to what they are actually firing at, or jump through the floor. there is also the bug that made mission loading screens last for 10 minutes (took a year to fix), the bug that causes the game to pause for like 10 seconds whenever a sound clip plays (partially fixed), or the intermittant crash to deskop on loading a save introduced in war of the chosen.

If we're going to talk about xcom animation bugs and firing through terrain, in xcom2 on PC I still routinely see dudes stand up, stick the front half of their gun into a rock or whatever, and shoot through that at the thing they're trying to kill.

Plus all the times a reaction shot happens and the thing runs in a path that puts a car or rubble or whatever between target and shooter and it goes straight through.

Computer games are complex and sometimes a certain level of abstraction is necessary. Maybe it would be more realistic to have your 99% chance to hit interrupt get fouled by the light pole the alien ran past, but it would make for some hilariously frustrating gameplay.