Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Make this image into a meme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The computer is tasteful for mentioning all the men's physical symptoms except their painful erections

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Hearing that McCoy's medical scanner is giving him unusual readings is useless because he doesn't say in what specific way and the computer sensor already said they weren't real women

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Cythereal posted:

Even then, someone like Q would probably pop in and say no.

I do not want to see Discovery try to do Q.

On the other hand, if The Orville doesn't do a Q type being in season 2 I'll be very disappointed.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The cinematography is wild with a bunch of stark lighting and extreme closeups

Television in those days was very small. Commonly you'd be watching on a 13" screen, and even in the '60s many were still black and white.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The interactions between Kirk and Spock or McCoy are good but everything else is ridiculous

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Television in those days was very small. Commonly you'd be watching on a 13" screen, and even in the '60s many were still black and white.

Yeah but I mean it's more like that than the other episodes I've seen

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Yeah but I mean it's more like that than the other episodes I've seen

Oh, I see. Some weird directorial choice then. I haven't seen these in a while and I don't think I've ever noticed that before.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Mudd’s Women is definitely oddly shot. They also go WAY overboard on the soft focus even by TOS standards.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Oh, I see. Some weird directorial choice then. I haven't seen these in a while and I don't think I've ever noticed that before.

The direction on early TOS is all over the place. Harvey Hart, the director of "Mudd's Women," only did that one episode and came out of a more horror/thriller background - so I'd imagine creepy closeups were kind of his thing.

For my part, I'm up to "Balance of Terror" and everything about that is nailing it. It's great seeing what TOS can be, but disappointing knowing how few episodes achieve it.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The miner complaining that he put too much effort into saving an ugly woman

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Welcome to TOS, Jeb!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Well that was a mixed bag. Went on too long (but I'm starting to think that's unavoidable), and the fake drug at the end felt like deus ex machina, but the writing was mostly good and ya gotta love Mudd. I'm also sleep deprived so that could be why it didn't grab me

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

NBC had only just switched to all-color programming in 1966, and Star Trek featured a lot in advertisements for color TVs - all the bright colors and lighting made the case for upgrading to color better than anything else on the air.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The interactions between Kirk and Spock or McCoy are good but everything else is ridiculous

TOS.txt

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'm Harry Mudd's single Christmas tree ornament of an earring.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

VitalSigns posted:

The Kelvans modified the Enterprise's engines to make the journey to Andromeda in three hundred years instead of thousands. Voyager would have been home in an instant if someone had remembered that.

Well, in about eight years, if you do the math. (2.5 million light-years in 300 years = 8333 light-years per year, and Voyager started about 70,000 ly from home.)

That's actually kind of interesting -- they got home faster than if they'd just done the Kelvan trick on the engines and hit the cruise control.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Even then, someone like Q would probably pop in and say no.

Some of the old EU books liked to imply that the Q were there to stop the universe getting destroyed every half hour, since it's apparently incredibly easy, judging by how often it nearly happens in Trek.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Beyond a few names TOS and TNG barely feel like the same universe. TOS is just so incredibly 60s.
It's like reading the poo poo sexist stories from 1950s Galaxy Magazine.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

This is still why I have a hard time trying to watch TOS, it's so so dated and the casual sexism really flies at you fast and loose.

Like I watched Charlie X and he basically tries to rape a girl and Kirk is like "now son we all get urges like that sometime" :yikes:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Let's not forget when Scotty gets blackout drunk and murders a prostitute, and Kirk goes to lengths to prove he was possessed by a ghost :rolleyes:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah but then he takes him you the judo flip room where everyone in the future practices judo flips

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Taear posted:

Beyond a few names TOS and TNG barely feel like the same universe.

You're not wrong. Hell, even in the early days of TNG they hadn't decided whether or not it was a direct sequel or just a reboot of the same premise.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

WampaLord posted:

Like I watched Charlie X and he basically tries to rape a girl and Kirk is like "now son we all get urges like that sometime" :yikes:

Honestly, given that it was the 60's, at least Kirk was like "no means no, it's her choice, you gotta move on" instead of "time to double down!"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

WampaLord posted:

This is still why I have a hard time trying to watch TOS, it's so so dated and the casual sexism really flies at you fast and loose.

That’s not what Kirk says at all. His advice to Charlie in the episode is almost completely unobjectionable even by modern standards. Charlie behaves like...an obnoxious and poorly socialized teenage boy. Kirk tells him basically 1) it’s not okay to slap women’s asses, 2) you can’t force relationships with women to happen because they’re people and you have to consider how they feel, 3) just because you like a woman doesn’t mean it’s true love that must be pursued, 4) you can’t always get what you want. He explains most of these things kind of awkwardly — he’s never done much parenting, after all. But he totally doesn’t tell Charlie that his behavior is okay. He repeatedly tries to get Charlie to change it. He tells him that it’s normal to have feelings for others, but that he needs to learn how to express it. Ultimately he can’t fix Charlie because Charlie is loving broke brained as hell.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
To be honest, very little of Kirk's advice about women in Charlie X doesn't fit as advice in the modern day. It's pretty much, care about what the woman wants, realize relationships are a two way street, and if a woman doesn't want a relationship, move on. Here it is:

quote:

CHARLIE: Everything I do or say is wrong. I'm in the way, I don't know the rules, and when I learn something and try to do it, suddenly I'm wrong!
KIRK: Now wait, wait.
CHARLIE: I don't know what I am or what I'm supposed to be, or even who. I don't know why I hurt so much inside all the time.
KIRK: You'll live, believe me. There's nothing wrong with you that hasn't gone wrong with every other human male since the model first came up.
CHARLIE: What if you care for someone? What do you do?
KIRK: You go slow. You be gentle. I mean, it's not a one-way street, you know, how you feel and that's all. It's how the girl feels, too. Don't press, Charlie. If the girl feels anything for you at all, you'll know it. Do you understand?
CHARLIE: You don't think Janice. You. She could love me!
KIRK: She's not the girl, Charlie. The years are wrong, for one thing, and there are other things.
CHARLIE: She can.
KIRK: No, Charlie.
CHARLIE: She is.
KIRK: No.
CHARLIE: But if I did what you said! If I was gentle!
KIRK: Charlie, there are a million things in this universe you can have and there are a million things you can't have. It's no fun facing that, but that's the way things are.
CHARLIE: Then what am I going to do?
KIRK: Hang on tight and survive. Everybody does.
CHARLIE: You don't.
KIRK: Everybody, Charlie. Me, too.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

TOS is kind of a mixed bag because you had bad writers who made things like "woman can't command starships!!!" But at the same time you had DC Fontana writing things like The Enterprise Incident where a mature woman is in command and shows remarkable competence throughout (short of trusting Spock).

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The Romulan commander is a sexy buffoon. She makes the episode with her charisma, but I wouldn’t hold her up as strong female character. Spock seduces her and clowns all over her dumb rear end while she’s smitten. Her position of seniority is treated as exotic and transgressive rather than normal or deserved. TOS often pushes a narrative that women are people like anyone else so women in the workplace is good, but women in authority is unnatural/less good because what they really want is a good man.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I dunno, it's been a while since I've watched it but I thought it was pretty good for the 60s. Her subordinates never question her or look at the situation as wrong. She's taken advantage of by Spock but at least goes down fighting. She prepares to execute him, then when he's being beamed back she furiously jumps into the beam with him to gently caress up their plans and points out that their victory was temporary at best. The set up was always for Spock to infiltrate the Romulan ship by gaining trust, romantically or not, so just by virtue of being the enemy she has to be defeated by the end of the episode. She's brought down by romance but doesn't let it stop her from her duties, in a way it almost teaches that a successful woman shouldn't just give up to A Good Man.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
Off on a "featuring Romulan Commander" sidetrack, what's the goon consensus on Continues? I've been trying to decide whether to watch that or the animated series between TOS and TMP, because I'm punishing myself by watching a continuous Trek from Enterprise to Voyager.

DentArthurDent
Aug 3, 2010

Diddums

VitalSigns posted:

Sisko assassinated an innocent man in order to expand a war.

I think a lot of people need to watch that episode (In the Pale Moonlight) again.

Sisko had Starfleet's explicit approval to try and trick the Romulans into joining the war. He and Garak came up with the plan, Sisko ran it by his bosses, and he was told to go ahead with it.

As for the killing of the Romulan senator, that was done independently by Garak. Sisko was horrified when he heard about it, but since the damage had been done he decided to keep quiet about it, as it got them the outcome he wanted (the Romulans joining the war).

I think a lot of people remember that episode as "Sisko goes rogue and kills a Romulan", and that's not what happened at all. By agreeing to work with Garak, he started a chain of events that ended in the Senator's death, but he never went rogue, and it seems clear he would never have agreed to killing the Senator had he known about it beforehand. His only "deal with the devil" was covering up the killing afterward.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Plotac 75 posted:

what's the goon consensus on Continues?

It seems to be Ehhhhhhh

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

skasion posted:

He tells him that it’s normal to have feelings for others

To me it read as "Hey son, we all get that urge, but you have to fight it and respect these dames!"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Plotac 75 posted:

Off on a "featuring Romulan Commander" sidetrack, what's the goon consensus on Continues? I've been trying to decide whether to watch that or the animated series between TOS and TMP, because I'm punishing myself by watching a continuous Trek from Enterprise to Voyager.

It’s okay. Great by fan-film standards. The production is quite a high standard, they spent a lot of money on getting the look and feel right and they did it. The actors vary: Kirk and Spock are okay, Scotty is pretty much Scotty, the rest are meh, the original Dr McCoy is bad but he gets replaced a couple episodes in. The new characters are so-so. The guest stars tend to be surprisingly good. The writing is a bit uneven and often feels more like TNG than TOS. I think the ending of the series is pretty good. It’s short so imo you might as well give it a shot.

e: you might as well give TAS a shot too, it’s an absolute trip

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Continues is easily the best fan-produced material, no contest. New Voyages/Phase II has its moments, but there's way more cringe. Quick smattering of hot takes on casting:

- Cawley never really learned to act worth a drat. Vic whatshisname is a good Kirk except his voice itself is too high, but I found that easy to ignore.
- Both had multiple Spocks and some were okay and some... weren't.
- Not sure if I'm keeping the two straight, but I think NV/P2's (original?) McCoy is one of the best casted roles, and I don't remember Continues McCoy(s) offhand.
- Continues rules for casting Doohan's son. He's really good imo. NV/P2's Scotty is pretty godawful iirc.
- Oh, bonus fun thing: Continues has Grant Imahara as Sulu lol.

In any case I say watch Continues first, and also the Takei and Koenig eps of NV/P2, then watch TAS too, so that at least you're back to the real actors prior to TMP.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I loved when Garak was at the orphanage and told the lady he was a simple tailor whom she wouldn't know, and asked her if she had information about any children dropped off there 5 years ago. Then she says "No, I was in the resistance back then". Garak gets this poo poo eating grin on his face and says "Oh, perhaps we HAVE met!"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DentArthurDent posted:

As for the killing of the Romulan senator, that was done independently by Garak. Sisko was horrified when he heard about it, but since the damage had been done he decided to keep quiet about it, as it got them the outcome he wanted (the Romulans joining the war).

Garak didn't buy this and I don't either.

Sisko knew that they might fail to convince the senator the Dominion was plotting an attack and they might need to commit an actual atrocity to blame on the Dominion, that's why he went to Garak because he knew Garak wouldn't hesitate to do it even without explicit instructions.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
If you're trying to go for The Whole Thing, you should definitely watch TAS simply because there will never be another Star Trek production with James Doohan, DeForest Kelley, or Leonard Nimoy. Get in everything you can - that's all there is and all there will ever be. :smith:

(You should also get the two Interplay games on GOG.com for the same reason.)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

VitalSigns posted:

Garak didn't buy this and I don't either.

Sisko knew that they might fail to convince the senator the Dominion was plotting an attack and they might need to commit an actual atrocity to blame on the Dominion, that's why he went to Garak because he knew Garak wouldn't hesitate to do it even without explicit instructions.

I believe that to be Garak's rationale, not Sisko's. Garak is all "You knew I was going to do this! You asked for it!" but really Sisko didn't.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

Sisko didn't really have a lot of choices about where to get genuine Cardassian security rods or whatever. He has one possible Cardassian to choose from who is also ambiguously connected to nefarious things or.... nobody.

It may have been in the back of his mind that Garak wasn't 100% trustworthy or might go off-script, but it was hardly Sisko's plan for him to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
God drat S6 of DS9 is good. I just finished the whole 6 parter series where it ends with them taking DS9 back. That was probably the best Trek I’ve seen yet. It had it all, long conference room arguments, Odo learning more about himself, espionage, Rom being an unlikely hero, Quark more or less saving the quadrant by blasting two guards with phasers, massive space battles, Dukat getting his comeuppance even if it’s a bit of a downer. Wow.

Windows 98 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 24, 2018