Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Liquid Communism posted:

He got it as a political appointment because the guy leading the Crusade liked him. IIRC, the books mention that Commissars are almost never from the same world as their regiments in order to make sure they don't have loyalties outside the job. Gaunt was expected to advance quickly, but he no sooner took command of three brand-new regiments from Tanith than the planet and two thirds of the troops were destroyed by a Chaos fleet, and he only saved the First by dragging them off-planet rather than letting them die defending it.

Gaunt's whole shtick is that he's what Guard officers are meant to be. A genuinely upright and incorruptible yet vicious rear end in a top hat who cares deeply about his troops but does not hesitate to spend their lives however will best serve the Imperium and who leads from the front. He's wasted as a Commissar because he has a reputation for not playing politics the way the High Lords of Terra expect, which is bad news for a political officer, but is unflinchingly loyal to the Imperial Truth.

Commissars are also meant to be outside the chain of command for the Guard. They're supposed to be neutral observers and enforcers with their own separate chain of command who hold no official rank within the Guard's command structure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I thought (and this may be a thing for the Book Thread) that he was the Commissar for the three regiments but after all the ranking officers got scutted and the regiments got folded into the First-and-Only Gaunt was given "temporary command" that more-or-less was exile (because Macaroth, with whom he was tight, had just gotten killed and Gaunt's position was in retrograde)?

I dunno, I read the books a year ago and I went through them too fast so I might have the metanarrative completely reversed?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

You're thinking of Slaydo in that case. Macaroth was his successor after he died on Balhaut. In this case Gaunt was a commissar in the regiment Slaydo fought alongside on Balhaut and was a friend of him.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cooked Auto posted:

You're thinking of Slaydo in that case. Macaroth was his successor after he died on Balhaut. In this case Gaunt was a commissar in the regiment Slaydo fought alongside on Balhaut and was a friend of him.

Which was the one who detonated his own Leviathan command vehicle to deny it to the Archenemy?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

Which was the one who detonated his own Leviathan command vehicle to deny it to the Archenemy?

Err, that might have been 13th Black Crusade and not Sabbat Worlds.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
For my upcoming 1500pt tournament I'm considering taking a hit to CP and Troops to boost my firepower. I'm concerned that it may be a an issue in games with multiple objectives, but I'm feeling my current list idea doesn't have as much "umpf" as it could.

Current list:

quote:

Battalion
HQ:
Hive Tyrant (Adrenal Glands, Devourers, Monstrous Rending Claws, Toxin Sacs, Wings) 213pts
Malanthrope 140pts

Troop:
11x Termagant 44pts
10x Termagant 40pts
10x Termagant 40pts

Elite:
Lictor 45pts

Heavy Support:
Exocrine 216pts
Exocrine 216pts

Battalion
HQ:
Hive Tyrant (Adrenal Glands, Devourers, Monstrous Rending Claws, Toxin Sacs, Wings) 213pts

Troop:
10x Termagant 40pts
10x Termagant 40pts
10x Termagant 40pts

Revised list:

quote:

Battalion
HQ:
Hive Tyrant (Adrenal Glands, Devourers, Monstrous Rending Claws, Wings) 209pts
Hive Tyrant (Adrenal Glands, Devourers, Monstrous Rending Claws, Wings) 209pts
Malanthrope 140pts

Troop:
18x Termagant 72pts
10x Termagant 40pts
10x Termagant 40pts

Heavy Support:
Exocrine 216pts
Exocrine 216pts

Flyer:
Harpy (2x Heavy Venom Cannon) 179pts
Harpy (2x Heavy Venom Cannon) 179pts

Pros: Far more long-range AT firepower, mobility/speed, ability to lock down long-range enemy units in close combat turn one
Cons: -5CP, less troops, less psychic

Thoughts?

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 24, 2018

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
It looks like my local meta is getting toward 2k point lists. What do you guys think about this gimmick?

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Adeptus Mechanicus) [80 PL, 1098pts] ++

+ Uncategorised +

Forge World: Mars

+ HQ +

Belisarius Cawl [13 PL, 240pts]
. Warlord: Static Psalm-Code

Tech-Priest Enginseer [3 PL, 47pts]: Omnissian Axe, Servo-arm

+ Troops +

Skitarii Rangers [7 PL, 42pts]: 5x Skitarii Ranger
. Ranger Alpha: Galvanic rifle

+ Heavy Support +

Kastelan Robots [36 PL, 550pts]
. Kastelan Robot: Heavy Phosphor blaster
. . Heavy phosphor blasters: 2x Heavy Phosphor blaster

Onager Dunecrawler [7 PL, 135pts]: Broad Spectrum Data-tether, Cognis heavy stubber, Icarus Array

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Adeptus Mechanicus) [21 PL, 455pts] ++

+ Uncategorised +

Forge World: Stygies VIII

+ HQ +

Tech-Priest Enginseer [3 PL, 47pts]: Omnissian Axe, Servo-arm, The Omniscient Mask

+ Fast Attack +

Sydonian Dragoons [6 PL, 136pts]
. Sydonian Dragoon: Taser lance

++ Super-Heavy Auxiliary Detachment (Imperium - Imperial Knights) [21 PL, 447pts] ++

+ Lord of War +

Knight Gallant [21 PL, 447pts]: Meltagun, Reaper chainsword, Stormspear rocket pod, Thunderstrike gauntlet

++ Total: [122 PL, 2000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

Basically, Robots and Cawl, burning Wrath of Mars to delete units. Then a Stygies detachment of Dragoons that will be -2 to hit and can really do some work with the stratagem making them hit on 2+ and get multiple hits on 4+. I get a Knight to attempt to tangle with things like Mortarion and bigger threats.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I am loving those Necrons. You did a great job with the colors and making them really pop.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

jadebullet posted:

I am loving those Necrons. You did a great job with the colors and making them really pop.

Thanks. Now I just need to make some regular Destroyers. A friend threw away gave me something like 18 of them terribly painted from when he was in high school and I still can't bring myself to strip and paint them. :(

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

They look really good, and my opinion is in no way biased by us having very similar Necron schemes.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

EvilBeard posted:

It looks like my local meta is getting toward 2k point lists. What do you guys think about this gimmick?

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Adeptus Mechanicus) [80 PL, 1098pts] ++

+ Uncategorised +

Forge World: Mars

+ HQ +

Belisarius Cawl [13 PL, 240pts]
. Warlord: Static Psalm-Code

Tech-Priest Enginseer [3 PL, 47pts]: Omnissian Axe, Servo-arm

+ Troops +

+ Heavy Support +

Kastelan Robots [36 PL, 550pts]

Onager Dunecrawler [7 PL, 135pts]: Broad Spectrum Data-tether, Cognis heavy stubber, Icarus Array

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Adeptus Mechanicus) [21 PL, 455pts] ++

+ Uncategorised +

Forge World: Stygies VIII

+ HQ +

Tech-Priest Enginseer [3 PL, 47pts]: Omnissian Axe, Servo-arm, The Omniscient Mask

+ Fast Attack +

++ Super-Heavy Auxiliary Detachment (Imperium - Imperial Knights) [21 PL, 447pts] ++

+ Lord of War +

Knight Gallant [21 PL, 447pts]: Meltagun, Reaper chainsword, Stormspear rocket pod, Thunderstrike gauntlet

++ Total: [122 PL, 2000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

Basically, Robots and Cawl, burning Wrath of Mars to delete units. Then a Stygies detachment of Dragoons that will be -2 to hit and can really do some work with the stratagem making them hit on 2+ and get multiple hits on 4+. I get a Knight to attempt to tangle with things like Mortarion and bigger threats.

I haven't played with Dragoons because the PPM is outrageous, but it seems like a solid tactic. I know they perform really well. My only critique is maybe more troops? If you're playing objective games, you're going to have a bad time.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Commissars are also meant to be outside the chain of command for the Guard. They're supposed to be neutral observers and enforcers with their own separate chain of command who hold no official rank within the Guard's command structure.

This is it. Gaunt as a commissar is outside of the chain of command and sort of above it (a commissar can execute a general, but they'd have to justify it). Giving him an Imperial Guard rank made him an official commander of the unit.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Posting some stuff I finished up recently.

Thermic Plasma Regulators & Conduits:

Some earlier shots. I forgot to take a picture of the ends with my macromat.

Lastly, my Trajan Valoris on a white background, and after I fixed his tilt shield.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

NovemberMike posted:

This is it. Gaunt as a commissar is outside of the chain of command and sort of above it (a commissar can execute a general, but they'd have to justify it). Giving him an Imperial Guard rank made him an official commander of the unit.

Ciaphas Cain notes that in theory, this is so commissars are free to interact with all levels of the Guard - a private and a general should be equal in a commissar's eyes, and Vail explicitly compares the Commissariat to the Inquisition in terms of how it functions.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I stripped some models I got recently that were metal and the cleaning solution I used (can't remember the name offhand but it was a purple container) was really effective. However with the few plastic models I was trying to strip, the effect was greatly lessened.

Is there a preferred solvent to strip paint off plastic minis? I'm thinking this because my IF tacticals would be much better served for my future Salamanders force, since I can load up on small tac squads with special and heavy weapons to take advantage of chapter tactic re-rolls.

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013

TheBigAristotle posted:

I stripped some models I got recently that were metal and the cleaning solution I used (can't remember the name offhand but it was a purple container) was really effective. However with the few plastic models I was trying to strip, the effect was greatly lessened.

Is there a preferred solvent to strip paint off plastic minis? I'm thinking this because my IF tacticals would be much better served for my future Salamanders force, since I can load up on small tac squads with special and heavy weapons to take advantage of chapter tactic re-rolls.

I will go to my grave defending LA Awesome, which is cheap and a much better stripper than Simple Green.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

TheBigAristotle posted:

I use Isopropyl alcohol. Works great.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Cannibal Smiley posted:

I will go to my grave defending LA Awesome, which is cheap and a much better stripper than Simple Green.

I'm getting annoyed with simple green taking a long time so I want to try this.Which LA's Awesome product specifically?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Man that guy looks good Zuul. I love the weathered metal look.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Lupercalcalcal posted:

I use Isopropyl alcohol. Works great.

Just soak and scrub? Does it break down the plastic at all after a certain point?

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Zuul the Cat posted:

I haven't played with Dragoons because the PPM is outrageous, but it seems like a solid tactic. I know they perform really well. My only critique is maybe more troops? If you're playing objective games, you're going to have a bad time.

If I cut the Dunecrawler, I can add a few more Ranger units with Arquebus in the Stygies detachment. I might go with that.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

TheBigAristotle posted:

Just soak and scrub? Does it break down the plastic at all after a certain point?

It might make resin slightly soft according to some people, but I have never had an issue.

I just put it in a tub of 97% iso and let it soak for a little bit, then scrub and repeat a few times.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
Earlier in the thread I saw people mentioning being forced into taking two archons in order to end up with a drukhari battalion.

I was flipping through the book and that doesn't actually appear to be true. You can include kabal, wych cult, and covens in the same detachment and still get their special rules as long as you have ALL kabal be the same and ALL wych cult be the same and ALL coven be the same within that detachment. They have an extra section just for this explanation.

So you can have an archon and a succubus and two squads of kabalite warriors and a squad of wyches and still have them be Kabal of the Black Heart on your archon/warriors and cult of the cursed blade on your succubus/wyches.

Based on that, it seems Drukhari lists aren't actually penalized all that much in the european tournament format limiting you to no duplicate detachments.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

TheBigAristotle posted:

Is there a preferred solvent to strip paint off plastic minis?

Brake fluid. Wear gloves.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

General Olloth posted:

Earlier in the thread I saw people mentioning being forced into taking two archons in order to end up with a drukhari battalion.

I was flipping through the book and that doesn't actually appear to be true. You can include kabal, wych cult, and covens in the same detachment and still get their special rules as long as you have ALL kabal be the same and ALL wych cult be the same and ALL coven be the same within that detachment. They have an extra section just for this explanation.

So you can have an archon and a succubus and two squads of kabalite warriors and a squad of wyches and still have them be Kabal of the Black Heart on your archon/warriors and cult of the cursed blade on your succubus/wyches.

Based on that, it seems Drukhari lists aren't actually penalized all that much in the european tournament format limiting you to no duplicate detachments.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

My reading comprehension sucks.

In my defense, that section is really long and is full of BOLD and <BOLD> and my eyes gloss over reading it. Stupid complicated loving elves.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Man this model is so much cooler than the plastic one:

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

General Olloth posted:

Edit: beaten on the clarification.

Mounting evidence is that Drukari don’t really need the help, but they’re even better when multiple battalions are allowed, so they will be slightly disadvanted in the ETC style format.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
In actual good content that isn't wrong:

Olloth's Mini Stripping Process

1. Get a cheap ultrasonic cleaner. I also use this to clean mold release off my resin models, its pretty handy. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Q2M17K/ $40
2. Use Super Clean, which is purple, and can be found in automotive stores or the automotive section of big box stores
3. Wear gloves, like regular latex gloves are fine. I keep latex gloves at my airbrushing station where I also have my ultrasonic cleaner.
4. Don't dilute the super clean, just mostly fill up the ultrasonic cleaner, enough so that it will cover your models without overflowing.
5. Dump all your minis in that will fit.
6. Set it to the max timer and run about 4-5 times, the liquid will get hot but not quite burning your hands. Don't worry about this, it's not going to melt GW plastic. I can't speak for non GW plastic. Your mileage may vary there.
7. Take the minis out and set them on a towel on your work surface or wherever. Probably not somewhere parts can fall down a drain.
8. Use these fantastic brushes https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003M8GMS6/ they are $7. They are stiff, and plastic/nylon/whatever bristles. They've got good shapes for getting into little grooves. Get the majority of the crud off the models.
9. Repeat steps 5 through 8, generally I only need to do this a second time. After the first round gets 90% of it off, the second pass will get the last bits
10. Take the basket out of the ultrasonic cleaner and rinse the minis in the sink. Rinse the above brushes and then use them to scrub final bits of soapy off if you really want, although I generally just kinda shake the basket under blasting water for a bit.

There you go. This is what I've been doing to get a massive amount of Zandri Dust GW spray off my second hand tyranids. It also will eat all the regular GW paint off from over top of the spray primer. I couldn't get Simple Green to get GW spray primer off. I also did metal models like this, and it worked better than just soaking them in acetone actually.

Tips:
* You don't have to change out the super clean until you're done stripping all your models that you want to strip right now. You can even keep it after that depending on how much you can handle goopy gunk being around you. It works a bit better with the paint particulates in the dirty soap as they are abrasive and get into the little grooves better.
* To clean mold release off, you can just use simple green or basic dish soap (a degreaser basically, can be gentle) in the ultrasonic cleaner and run it a couple times. Be a little more careful with how much you run it here, heat is more of a problem with resin. I found it got Hot but not Melting Hot, enough to actually let most of the parts naturally warp close to normal when going in bent. Two for one! You only need to run it maybe twice to get the mold release off. After that, you can just do the above basket rinsing, or you can rinse out the ultrasonic cleaner real good, put regular water in it, and let that wash the soap off. Depends on whether you just have one small basket of parts or if you want to assembly line a whole pile of stuff.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I'm pretty sure super clean will also dissolve CA glue over enough time, so that's pretty handy too.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Fake James posted:

I'm pretty sure super clean will also dissolve CA glue over enough time, so that's pretty handy too.

Ah, yes, I forgot to call that out. It will also destroy CA glue, which generally isn't an issue when you're stripping. It's actually helpful to have stuff back in pieces a lot of the time when people didn't trim mold lines the first time around....

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

jadebullet posted:

Man that guy looks good Zuul. I love the weathered metal look.

Thanks dude. Super easy - Leadbelcher, 2 x Nuln Oil wash. I hit it with a hair dryer in between washes so it dries faster.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
heres my process for stripping minis:

buy a pint of talenti gelato for 4 bucks from your local grocer

enjoy your frosty treat, and bonus! you now have a nice container for soaking poorly painted dudes you bought off of ebay

next, go to dollartree and buy some bottles of this crap

and a pack of these

congrats, you now have all you need to get rid of someone elses lovely paint job, and you only spent like 8 bucks!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Talenti is some seriously pro-tier gelato although I prefer Ciao Bella sorbet. Do you think that would work as well?

:ohdear:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Schadenboner posted:

Talenti is some seriously pro-tier gelato although I prefer Ciao Bella sorbet. Do you think that would work as well?

:ohdear:

Try Talenti's Raspberry sorbet. You will shed a tear in its glorious tartness

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Hnnnnnggggh.

E: I'm the weird keystoning.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 24, 2018

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

next, go to dollartree and buy some bottles of this crap

Will this take off oil based primer like krylon fusion? I've noticed Simple Green doesn't do anything to oil based paint.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

One_Wing posted:

Edit: beaten on the clarification.

Mounting evidence is that Drukari don’t really need the help, but they’re even better when multiple battalions are allowed, so they will be slightly disadvanted in the ETC style format.

Kind of?
Drukhari are for sure better when multiple battalions are allowed, but the rule of 3 is still painful because there are only Archon HQs for kabal units.

Drukhari's kabalite warriors are among their best units ppm. So far most people want to put them in Raiders and/or Venoms. The way the strategems/obsessions/relics work out, almost every list is going to have a Kabal of the black heart heavy support detachment (1x archon) of 3x ravagers. Then, a Kabal of the Poisoned Tongue battalion (2x archon) to load up as many troops on transports as they can. Therefore, a total of 3 archons have been taken, the only Kabal HQ unit.

A 5x kabalite squad with blaster in a venom with two splinter cannons (the loadout Lawrence Baker currently thinks is optimal) is around 122 points. This is great because it's cheap, but it also means the troop slots fill up fast. A 10 man with 2x blasters 1x dark lance on a raider with a disintegrator cannon is 194. Either way there's a lot of points left in the list that could be spent on more Kabalt of the PT troops, if there was no rule of 3 for Archons or if there was secondary kabal hq unit. Alas, there is not.

TLDR: It's difficult (impossible?) to really spam kabalite warriors in boats with current tournament recommendations for rule of 3 and there being only 1 kabal hq choice. Which is a shame because I love Drukhari and the idea of taking a fuckton of basic troops.

e: For clarity

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 24, 2018

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Rule of 3 doesn't apply to troops and dedicated transports, so that's still 1150 pts for the 6 troops in that battalion.

Artum fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Do we think Deathwatch Primarii are going to get special ammo for their bolt weapons?