Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

TalkLittle posted:

Can someone explain why I shouldn't be deathly afraid of being in the same room as one of these?

60 GHz apparently translates to 8 Gbps transfer speed, and it has relatively low range (30 ft?) since the high frequency is unable to pierce through walls. But still, such a high data rate sounds like brain cancer for a device strapped to your face.

I dunno, maybe a really small amount of science regarding radiation? Do you know what the frequency of visible light is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Guys this wifi

is it dangerous?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I hear we'll die if we move at higher speeds than 20 miles per hour. This steam locomotive must be stopped!

E: Apologies, that was simply a visual projection of said steam locomotive. We need not panic.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://youtu.be/GF15nCiAMNE

This keeps looking better and better

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

KakerMix posted:

Guys this wifi

is it dangerous?

It operates at the same frequency as your microwave.

Of course it is dangerous!

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

PerrineClostermann posted:

Wowowow. That does look cool.

Very very cool.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
2.4 Ghz
2+4=6
G=7
h=8
z=26
7+8+26=41
41-6=35
30/5=6
2.4=two symbols
Ghz=three symbols
2x3=6

Wireless VR is evil

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

SEKCobra posted:

It operates at the same frequency as your microwave.

Of course it is dangerous!

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

I seem to remember htc calling it an enterprise device from the start, but it got drowned out by people hoping for Gen 1.5.

Sorry, but if you want to be disappointed by a gen1.5 device, you'll have to wait for the Pimax like the rest of us. :v:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Alpha Phoenix posted:

I seem to remember htc calling it an enterprise device from the start, but it got drowned out by people hoping for Gen 1.5.

Sorry, but if you want to be disappointed by a gen1.5 device, you'll have to wait for the Pimax like the rest of us. :v:

Can't wait for a Gen 1.5 1.25 competing with gen 2.0 headsets.

We're on delay #3 for the next prototype right?

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

About the Vive wireless adapter and safety, an apparently good resource is this paper from NYU https://arxiv.org/pdf/1503.05944.pdf. The gist is that millimeter wave technologies, like 60 GHz wifi aka "WiGig", should be mostly safe because the short wavelength is mostly absorbed by the skin.

However one line that did stand out contradicting this, is

quote:

In other words, in order to comply with exposure limits at frequencies above 6 GHz, the maximum radiated power might have to be several dB lower than the power levels used for current mobile technologies.

It's difficult to find any info about the Vive adapter's FCC compliance status since it's not on the market yet. An Intel WiGig router apparently passed compliance with a measured Specific Absorption Rate of 0.67 W/kg (FCC limit is 1.6 W/kg), BUT the entire point of the NYU paper is that SAR is not meaningfully measured for technologies above 6 GHz.

So it's probably safe like everyone here assumes, but that line stood out and I wonder if there is a way to find the radiated power output of the Vive adapter, or any WiGig device.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tom Guycot posted:

I think the problem with that plan is they pissed off a lot of customers and alienated potential ones. When it comes time to finally lower the price though, they risk pimax, LG, Samsung, some other windows headsets, or oculus announcing or releasing something that leapfrogs the vive pro for 1/3 the cost.

Samsung already has a comparable resolution headset for 1/3 the cost.

I'd say the Pro isn't THE consumer 1.5/2.0 headset for HTC (though I fully acknowledge the dumb PR moves, price, et al). The Vive Pro is the 2.0 devkit, along with filling a bunch of business niches that said business customers were asking for.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Very awesome. I hope this kind of physical interaction becomes the norm for more games. There's nothing worse in terms of presence/immersion (in my view) than being in some really good-looking vr environment with lots of detailed weapons models or whatever, and then putting out your IK-modelled hand and am e and just seeing it indiscriminately clip through everything.

I'd especially like to see whether this could work with close combat weapons - though it'd have to be set up with a bit more complexity than what you see in that video with the guns, as you do actually need a sword to cut through stuff or whatever.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Apr 24, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ephori posted:

Doom VFR is so good, wow. First game I've really, really been impressed with in VR since Superhot. Vive Pro arrived today, so I'm trying everything all over again. Did Fallout ever get patched to decent support? Is Skyrim a better port or does it suffer from the same problems?

How's the resolution on new vive?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

TalkLittle posted:

About the Vive wireless adapter and safety, an apparently good resource is this paper from NYU https://arxiv.org/pdf/1503.05944.pdf. The gist is that millimeter wave technologies, like 60 GHz wifi aka "WiGig", should be mostly safe because the short wavelength is mostly absorbed by the skin.

However one line that did stand out contradicting this, is

It's difficult to find any info about the Vive adapter's FCC compliance status since it's not on the market yet. An Intel WiGig router apparently passed compliance with a measured Specific Absorption Rate of 0.67 W/kg (FCC limit is 1.6 W/kg), BUT the entire point of the NYU paper is that SAR is not meaningfully measured for technologies above 6 GHz.

So it's probably safe like everyone here assumes, but that line stood out and I wonder if there is a way to find the radiated power output of the Vive adapter, or any WiGig device.

:biotruths:

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Cojawfee posted:

2.4 Ghz
2+4=6
G=7
h=8
z=26
7+8+26=41
41-6=35
30/5=6
2.4=two symbols
Ghz=three symbols
2x3=6

Wireless VR is evil

Math checks out.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Republicans posted:

The full 2.0 Vive Pro bundle is now available for sale for a whopping $1400.

I'd like to take a second to remind the thread that the Samsung Oddysey plus tracking system and controllers with seemingly the same screen and lenses is $500 and you can use it with your existing lighthouse tracking/controllers or the built in controllers. Apparently, the setup is a bit tricky but once setup it is easy to replicate.

Also you can get the other WMR headsets for $200 which is a 1/2 resolution upgrade from the stock Vive, although only really worth considering if you have IPD very near 63mm. I personally have IPD of 64 and the WMR headsets (with fixed IPD of 63mm) look pretty good to me.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My IPD is 70mm. This is not the 1% I want to be in.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

I recently upgraded my roomscale space to 3.9x3.9m which puts me in the 1% of steamVR space and it's wonderful. Now I just need to remove my ceiling fan so I can stop hitting that. I might end up getting another TPCast working since it would be nice to play spinning games without having to uncoil all of the time.

The downside of having so much space is basically no games take advantage of it. I'm going to start making my own game just to have something to play that uses so much room. You can cheese Swordmaster VR and some other games since they enemies can't back up out of range. It's nice being able to move around and stab without fear of the walls. I think I'll move my chaperone in a foot or so from the walls.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Stick100 posted:

I recently upgraded my roomscale space to 3.9x3.9m which puts me in the 1% of steamVR space and it's wonderful. Now I just need to remove my ceiling fan so I can stop hitting that. I might end up getting another TPCast working since it would be nice to play spinning games without having to uncoil all of the time.

The downside of having so much space is basically no games take advantage of it. I'm going to start making my own game just to have something to play that uses so much room. You can cheese Swordmaster VR and some other games since they enemies can't back up out of range. It's nice being able to move around and stab without fear of the walls. I think I'll move my chaperone in a foot or so from the walls.

PFft if you didnt make your home decision on VR. :v:

Eye of the temple is coming. It takes full advantage of room scale. Its basically the future of locomotion imo.

http://eyeofthetemple.com/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/589940/Eye_of_the_Temple/

Its an amazingly fun game and the dev is keeping it rad as possible. Plus its mixed reality support is amaaaaaaazing.
Indiana Jones in VR..... Yessssssssss

69 here. Whats up giant head buddy?

:(

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 24, 2018

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I'm moving to a new apartment in a few days - Complete with a much better space for VR. I'm going to put in wall mounts for the Rift sensors.

I also want to see if I can do anything about the headset's loving cable coiling around my leg like an insidious python. Having to be aware of the loving things and dance over them as I turn around is awful.

Does anyone have any experience with putting a pulley or a hook or something in the ceiling and running the headset cable through it? Will that even work?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Geisladisk posted:

I'm moving to a new apartment in a few days - Complete with a much better space for VR. I'm going to put in wall mounts for the Rift sensors.

I also want to see if I can do anything about the headset's loving cable coiling around my leg like an insidious python. Having to be aware of the loving things and dance over them as I turn around is awful.

Does anyone have any experience with putting a pulley or a hook or something in the ceiling and running the headset cable through it? Will that even work?

https://amzn.to/2K9AEfz

I had/have that. (It holds a rear sensor cable these days)

Works real well. Use actual j-hooks IMO since the sticky on those things just ripped off paint for me.

I doubled up the final one with 2 pully things. It let it move around a bit more free so there was less stress on my neck or w/e.

Now a days? I just deal with the cable on the ground. The rigs like that are great if you're paying attention to your rotations and stuff but after so many it just still gets tangled up but now you're spinning around just like you were before, but only after 4-5 rotations instead of 20+.

WIth that said. Depending on the game. It was awesome. I just got tired of taking it down anytime id get playing something that has me really flailing my hands around. You WILL at some point catch it with your hand so things like echo arena are pretty much out imo.

I just tuck the cable into the back of my pants and have extension cables on it. Works about as good as the roof rig for my legs getting pythoned, but it still does coil up eventually.

Something you can try. Take a zip tie. and get the cable hooked near the rear further so it goes straight down your back, instead of down the side of your body.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

PFft if you didnt make your home decision on VR. :v:

Yes I did. I bought a new home and having a big enough VR room was one of a short list of requirements. My previous place I had a 10x13 (only 9x10 usable for VR) which I also intended as a VR room before moving in.

I considered some places that had 25x25+ spaces but passed on those.

FYI Pimax released a controller design and it looks better than the knuckles.

http://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/the-new-id-of-the-pimax-controllers/5870
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh4U9HZzDGw

I don't necessarily believe they will make it or that it will be high quality but it seems like a good version of knuckles without losing the standard interface elements we are used to on the Vive wands.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 24, 2018

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Stick100 posted:

Yes I did. I bought a new home and having a big enough VR room was one of a short list of requirements. My previous place I had a 10x13 (only 9x10 usable for VR) which I also intended as a VR room before moving in.

I was only kind of kidding. It’s funny when you think about it though. We’ve been debating moving and that’s at the top of my list. Office or room big enough I can go 10x10 and still have space for a desk and chair. Right now sucks laying down a green screen floor every god drat time I play. Would be so nice to just stay setup all the time.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

EbolaIvory posted:

I was only kind of kidding. It’s funny when you think about it though. We’ve been debating moving and that’s at the top of my list. Office or room big enough I can go 10x10 and still have space for a desk and chair. Right now sucks laying down a green screen floor every god drat time I play. Would be so nice to just stay setup all the time.
In the future luxury homes will have dedicated giant padded rooms. For VR.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Honestly, what's wrong with an analog stick or dpad? Why go solely touchpad?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Hellsau posted:

Honestly, what's wrong with an analog stick or dpad? Why go solely touchpad?

Supposedly you can swap it with a joystick. Some of the pictures make it look like the oculus touch controller ripped off and upgraded, which I would be pretty ok with.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cojawfee posted:

This is really it right here. Sure, lighthouse is much better than whatever the Odyssey uses, but that's not even factored into the price of the Pro headset. If the Samsung headset didn't exist, I could see how HTC wants to make some money on their headset at first and then lower it later. But a similar headset with around the same specs already exists for a lower price. The entire odyssey experience is 300 dollars cheaper than just the Vive Pro headset. HTC already tried the "more expensive for premium" strategy with a headset that was inferior in some ways to the competition. I'm not buying that this headset is somehow worth twice the price of other VR headsets.

the entire odyssey experience is $300 cheaper than the vive pro headset, but on the other hand, everything except the headset itself is better on the Vive end (with the headset itself being basically equal). like, what I heard here when I asked about WMR vs. Vive/Oculus made me really kind of think that WMR isn't going to be a serious competitor except the $200-250ish price point.

the important thing to keep in mind with the Vive Pro is, even discounting all other factors, HTC can afford to charge a premium on it because you can't use any of their other kit with cheaper headsets. that extra $300-1000 isn't just a tax for buying HTC, it's a tax for buying something with those specs that isn't loving WMR.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the important thing to keep in mind with the Vive Pro is, even discounting all other factors, HTC can afford to charge a premium on it because you can't use any of their other kit with cheaper headsets. that extra $300-1000 isn't just a tax for buying HTC, it's a tax for buying something with those specs that isn't loving WMR.

Actually, you can.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbDHuEkvqZc

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the entire odyssey experience is $300 cheaper than the vive pro headset, but on the other hand, everything except the headset itself is better on the Vive end (with the headset itself being basically equal). like, what I heard here when I asked about WMR vs. Vive/Oculus made me really kind of think that WMR isn't going to be a serious competitor except the $200-250ish price point.

On the other hand, the WMR products seem like they would be a hit for the flight and race sims. Those games are going to use joysticks or wheels and won’t need the super great controllers that come with Vive and Oculus.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

I bet thats driving HTC wild too.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Hey I'm getting a free vive pro woohoo!

Anyhow I saw a video on pavlov vr, is it the "best" VR multiplayer shooter?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
that's like asking if there's a 'best' regular pc multiplayer shooter

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Bhodi posted:

that's like asking if there's a 'best' regular pc multiplayer shooter

Umm the vr market is quite small and a lot of games are poo poo. If i ask you what is the best arena combat game I'm pretty drat sure the universal answer is gorn

Or instead of being pedantic you could tell me what you prefer in that category...

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Pavlov is bad. Stand Out or Onward all the way.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Stick100 posted:

FYI Pimax released a controller design and it looks better than the knuckles.

http://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/the-new-id-of-the-pimax-controllers/5870
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh4U9HZzDGw

I don't necessarily believe they will make it or that it will be high quality but it seems like a good version of knuckles without losing the standard interface elements we are used to on the Vive wands.

This is like Oculus touch + a bigger ring and a strap + more cap sensors.
It sounds like one version will have a thumbstick + A/B buttons(Rift) and another will be a touch pad (Steam VR)

We'll have to see in person, but people are already pointing out that the tracking ring seems like it'll get in the way very quickly and could potentially be even more annoying than the Oculus touch ring when used in close proximity.

I wonder if this version of capacitance will also track how much finger is touching like Valve or if it'll be a binary on/off like Oculus.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

rage-saq posted:

Pavlov is bad. Stand Out or Onward all the way.
I mean, those are three totally different games. Someone that doesn't like battle royale games or milsims isn't going to like those games.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

homeless snail posted:

I mean, those are three totally different games. Someone that doesn't like battle royale games or milsims isn't going to like those games.

Pavlovs gunplay is kinda crap. Ive had a real hard time going back to Pavlov, while owning all 3. I don't disagree they are different games, but they hit a lot of the same user base. I totally get why saq recommends that stuff.

IF I'm recommending shooty mcshoot games with "real guns".

Want a game that isnt 1 hit kills? Ok with royale games? Has good gunplay? Always people playing? Stand out.
Want something a little more close? Counter Strike but with realistic weapon damage and handling? Onward.
Want an arcade shooter with good graphics but plays like an arcade game? Pavlov (And even then, Id probably recommend Bullets and More over pavlov if you want poo poo like gun game and stuff, but its defiantly got a small player base these days so Pavlov kinda fills slot 3 now)

Pavlov gets recommended very last because most people end up finding a home in the first 2 recommendations and Stand out sticks with most people. Its got the most movement/locomotion styles, Its got all kinds of vaulting, and movement mechanics. The weapons are really good. Theres always people playing. Its biggest downside is its the least graphically pleasing out of the 3. Its getting a lot better over time, but its still not amazing graphically.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

homeless snail posted:

Agreed, stand out felt like an ugly janky mess and onward was way too slow for me to enjoy

Pavlov good if you like counter strike style gameplay and good custom map support

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

w00tazn posted:

This is like Oculus touch + a bigger ring and a strap + more cap sensors.
The point of these and of Knuckles is that you don't have to hold them, so it's more like just having hand tracking in VR (but with useful things like trigger/buttons/control stick as well).

The ring does look pretty massive. I don't think you could even easily use two hands on a pistol without those things banging together/stopping you from getting your hands that close.