Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
They fired a bunch of people end of last year but it's totally fine it was nobody essential game is still happening by the way we're selling more stuff!

E: Or was that Elyria? Neither are happening either way.

Orv fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

I have high hopes and anticipation for this generic mmorpg

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Orv posted:

E: Or was that Elyria? Neither are happening either way.

Elyria definitely did it and the backers are still as balls deep (and 40k) on it as they ever were.

Buuuuuut in no way would I be surprised if AOC did also.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

So as skeptical as I am of this game existing. I seriously would love a game where a genocidal group of nature cultist wood elves can take over the forest and just murderkill everyone that ever tries to do anything anywhere near them.

Turn an entire region of a server into a massive zone of terror for anyone that isn't a wood elf.

Oh god, I hope this game is a thing.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

50 pounds of bread posted:

So as skeptical as I am of this game existing. I seriously would love a game where a genocidal group of nature cultist wood elves can take over the forest and just murderkill everyone that ever tries to do anything anywhere near them.

Turn an entire region of a server into a massive zone of terror for anyone that isn't a wood elf.

That's basically how Wood Elves work in the old Warhaammer Fantasy universe, so at least you'd have precedent. :v:

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

50 pounds of bread posted:

This was the original everquest with good/evil races/classes. heck even if a neutral-classed/deity dark elf wandered into the necromancer area of their home city they'd get murdered

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Zaodai posted:

That's basically how Wood Elves work in the old Warhaammer Fantasy universe, so at least you'd have precedent. :v:

Also pretty much how elves are in Norse mythology. Annoying buggers that shoot you with poison arrows from nowhere.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Or Elder Scrolls' cannibalistic, willing to trick people into eating their friends, Wood Elves.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

New gameplay vid from PAX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMEuS892UlE

Hilarious horseriding bug at 2:10

Then they go do a quest in a dungeon.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ehud posted:

The great thing with MMOs is that the horseriding bug is likely to still be in the game when it goes live.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

How is this the most anticipated MMO?

BDO and Bless Online both look light years better than this.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

big nipples big life posted:

How is this the most anticipated MMO?

BDO and Bless Online both look light years better than this.

"Reactive sandbox MMO"

It's another game promising to REVOLUTIONIZE THE GENRE and create a dynamic world.

Like they say players will have a major influence on how cities develop, you might need to make help guard a caravan so supplies can get to new settlements, areas will change dynamically based on whether or not players are actively killing certain mobs, etc.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Ah I see, I'm certain all this will happen.

Do they have a $200 early access pack I can buy right now?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Buy the $500 version please https://www.ashesofcreation.com/shop/

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I'm the website that only works in a maximized browser window.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I've reached a point where I can no longer distinguish between the six million kickstarted open-world player-driven generic fantasy MMO's. How many millions of dollars and dev hours do you think have been spent on these boondoggle projects at this point?

That does it. I'm going to crowdfund an MMO. Its' name will be "REDUNDANCY: RISE OF THE START OF THE BEGINNING OF THE PREHISTORY OF THE REMAKE OF EVERY MMO YOU ALREADY PLAYED TEN YEARS AGO BUT SOMEHOW WORSE AND FOR WAY MORE MONEY: ONLINE." Then I'll just use like 1/100th of the budget to run a pirate WoW server and swap all the mob models with assets from the Unity store.

Time to make a million dollars.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Can I be your community manager?

I have no qualifications other than wanting some of that kickstarter money.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

big nipples big life posted:

Can I be your community manager?

I have no qualifications other than wanting some of that kickstarter money.

Only if you have a history of internet trolling and saying obscene racist bullshit

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Sarsapariller posted:

Only if you have a history of internet trolling and saying obscene racist bullshit

The first part I've got covered.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sarsapariller posted:

I'm white and middle class, so I can do both of these things in spades.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Can I be the vice president of marketing? I took some drama classes in HS cause I dug the goth chicks.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I’ve done like three Unity tutorials can I be the lead programmer?

Seriously setting up a shell company to scam nerds on kickstarters would be so easy with a team of graphic artists to make “screenshots.”

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Ehud posted:

man I really want a new MMO to play but every time I see footage of one I couldn't possibly be any less interested

its a conundrum

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I feel like the game needs to have its color/saturation reduced.

It hurts my eyes.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Ehud posted:

yea thats gonna be a no from me dawg

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

if ashes of creation can't revive mmorpgs, nothin' is gonna!

https://twinfinite.net/2018/04/if-ashes-of-creation-cant-revive-mmorpgs-nothin-is-gonna-interview-hands-on-preview/

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

just preordered my copy of the game!!!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

joshtothemaxx posted:

I’ve done like three Unity tutorials can I be the lead programmer?

Seriously setting up a shell company to scam nerds on kickstarters would be so easy with a team of graphic artists to make “screenshots.”

Unfortunately, many others have already stolen my idea. Only 307 so far! https://www.kickstarter.com/discover/advanced?ref=nav_search&result=all&term=MMORPG

I'm really fond of "AdventureQuest 3D" which may the most generic title ever conceived.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1206871753/world-of-dankcraft?ref=discovery&ref=discovery&term=MMORPG

The kickstarter posted:

In the small town of Hempville something doesn't seem quite right but maybe, someone spiked your drink at the bar or, you're still trippin off those mushrooms you had last night. You wander off in search of a remedy but, find something totally unexpected...World of Dankcraft is a game like no other. From serious to the totally mundane items, wacked out characters and out of your mind missions World of Dankcraft promises to make your online multi-player role playing game experience one you'll never forget. Let the dankness scour the Earth.

Dank - high quality marijuana, also an expression frequently used by stoners and hippies for something of high quality. -Urban Dictionary.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Even at a glance, "The Repopulation" is on there twice.:thunk:

Also that one near the top that promises "aging and death" in an MMO is an interesting concept. Doesn't sound like a FUN concept, but I certainly can't think of another MMO that advertised the ability to watch your character get old and die. Having read into it a bit, the system is actually even more retarded than that. Your character will get old and suffer permadeath over 10-14 real months. Each regular-MMO style death you suffer before that shortens your lifespan, with how much it shortens it being determined by how important your character is. So if you're a random peasant, you lose 2 days. If you're "the King" you might lose a quarter of your lifespan. But wait, there's more! Your characters will NEVER be out of the world. So you logged off? Well your character exists there until you come back, but you can set AI routines for your character to do stuff while you're gone. Including apparently defend yourself, because surely your crude defense script will keep people from just murdering everyone who is AFK. I'm sure having literally every character ever created online on your server at the same time and also half of them running server-side AI routines while they're offline won't at all bog down the server.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Zaodai posted:

Even at a glance, "The Repopulation" is on there twice.:thunk:

Also that one near the top that promises "aging and death" in an MMO is an interesting concept. Doesn't sound like a FUN concept, but I certainly can't think of another MMO that advertised the ability to watch your character get old and die.

Warhammer Online initially had planned for characters to age, even had some jpgs showing how the aging would work. Obviously that never happened.

Zaodai posted:

I'm sure having literally every character ever created online on your server at the same time and also half of them running server-side AI routines while they're offline won't at all bog down the server.

I'm sure the server can handle the dozen of players that will be playing it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Fried Sushi posted:

I'm sure the server can handle the dozen of players that will be playing it.

Assuming it makes it far enough to be playable (which it probably wont), it's probably more likely that the offline scripts will end up not actually doing anything, which is also good for keeping that server overhead low. It makes me wonder if they even had any programmers on their team at the time of throwing up the Kickstarter, as a lot of these seem to be made by artists who think they have a great idea for a world and then absolutely no understanding of how any of the features they suggest would actually be implemented.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Somebody mentioned this to me and I was like "huh that's a super cool idea" and everything seemed super interesting up until I realized it was a kickstarter mmo

I want to believe but I'm definitely not holding my breath

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

ChickenWing posted:

Somebody mentioned this to me and I was like "huh that's a super cool idea" and everything seemed super interesting up until I realized it was a kickstarter mmo

I want to believe but I'm definitely not holding my breath

Shouldn't that just be a common sense rule by now, do not kickstart MMOs at all, ever, ever, never, don't, just don't, run away.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

This on their store page makes me want them to fail.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Tired: muhmorpuhgers
Wired: ummguh

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

RagnarokZ posted:

Shouldn't that just be a common sense rule by now, do not kickstart MMOs at all, ever, ever, never, don't, just don't, run away.

This but crowd funding in general

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Zil posted:

This on their store page makes me want them to fail.

It's a kickstarter MMO, there's a like 99.9% chance your wish will come true.

also,

Byolante posted:

This but crowd funding in general

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Zaodai posted:

I'm sure having literally every character ever created online on your server at the same time and also half of them running server-side AI routines while they're offline won't at all bog down the server.
Age of Wushu had this but instead of some AI routines your character just did some job in place of an NPC to earn you cash and you could be kidnapped and sold to steal the money, so everyone just kidnapped everyone and sold them to prostitution. Except one goon who kidnapped prostitutes and sold them to a school.
I'm not entirely sure why the mechanic was there, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Didn't BDO also have your character able to afk farm or whatever when you were offline?