Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The shift in tone wasn't TOS vs TNG. The shift was TOS vs the movies.

In my own head canon I like to think that what we saw in TOS was a fictionalized retelling of Kirk's exploits where everything from the movies on was a documentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Imagine not being able to just watch old TV shows and having to make a "head canon" to explain why things are different in different decades of cultural context and production standards.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I'm at the Voyager section of the Fifty Year Mission and still wonder what Bujold's deal was especially when it came to the makeup & costuming people touching her. She had been in plenty of movies and had to have been touched while making those. I can't imagine an actor showing up on the set and just start acting without being readied by the crew.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

bull3964 posted:

In my own head canon I like to think that what we saw in TOS was a fictionalized retelling of Kirk's exploits where everything from the movies on was a documentary.

A lot of the Trek EU took the assumption that Starfleet Command straight up didn't believe some of Kirk's reports. One mentioned an instructor at Starfleet Academy who liked to punish overly cocky cadets by putting them through a simulation of one of Kirk's more absurd made-up incidents where the cadets had to take the role of Kirk and company.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'm at the Voyager section of the Fifty Year Mission and still wonder what Bujold's deal was especially when it came to the makeup & costuming people touching her. She had been in plenty of movies and had to have been touched while making those. I can't imagine an actor showing up on the set and just start acting without being readied by the crew.

All I heard, years ago, was her complaint about comic book dialogue.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Trickjaw posted:

All I heard, years ago, was her complaint about comic book dialogue.

She didn't like working with different directors, either. I find it hard to believe she did not know how TV shows worked.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Cythereal posted:

A lot of the Trek EU took the assumption that Starfleet Command straight up didn't believe some of Kirk's reports. One mentioned an instructor at Starfleet Academy who liked to punish overly cocky cadets by putting them through a simulation of one of Kirk's more absurd made-up incidents where the cadets had to take the role of Kirk and company.

"Yeah, no, THE Apollo."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

"Yeah, no, THE Apollo."

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Star Trek: You've been in space HOW long?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

This is the first time I’ve seen the whole page posted with bizarro ripped Scotty

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Doohan was always ripped. He was just the kind who looked pudgy in a shirt.

Little known fact, he was actually Mr. Olympia during the movies.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

What 1000 Brown M and M's was getting is that there's a subtle difference between "TNG takes place in TOS's future" and "TNG takes place in a timeline where at least some of the elements of TOS were in the past history of TNG, but it's uncertain how much of TOS is in that past history of TNG."

Yeah, exactly. Maybe I should have said something like "soft reboot" instead.

As for the guy who was wondering whether to watch TAS or Star Trek Continues, you may as well watch both. TAS is only 22 half-hour episodes and Continues is only 11 hour-long epsiodes. You can bust out both in a weekend.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What was the other one you said was good? Continues and something else?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Star Trek Continues is great. I would definitely recommend it if you're a TOS fan. Two episodes in particular that I think are especially good: Fairest of Them All, a sequel to Mirror, Mirror; and of course the last two episodes, which provide a real ending to the TOS era that the show never got in its original run.

Agreed except I'll add Lolani is one of the best Star Trek episodes of any series.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

What was the other one you said was good? Continues and something else?

Renegades :wink:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh wow, this is actually good! Holy poo poo!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What the gently caress? THAT WAS THE SAME ACTOR AS APOLLO? HOLY poo poo

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Continues rules. I love that good one two punch start with the Apollo and Lola episodes and then the mirror universe follow up is really solid too. I think the only stinker in my view is Divided We Stand. But at least it took it's name from a good MASH episode.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I remember telling my wife "oh yeah there's like a whole season where ds9 is occupied" but then I realized it was only a few episodes.
If it was made today it would have been a full season.

Although if it was made today, a full season would only be, like, a dozen episodes, so...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah that was pretty amazing really

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

bull3964 posted:

I'm curious: what shift in tone do you mean? I've been watching TOS and the TOS movies since I was a kid, and I've never noticed much of a change except that the characters matured.

The "fictional retelling" theory is one I've heard before, but I don't really like it because it's too dismissive of TOS.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Bashir and his horde of autists come up with a Kobayashi Maru for Bashir to solve. How very Star Trek.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I usually can't watch fan productions because of the cringe factor, but Continues was legit good Trek

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm curious: what shift in tone do you mean?

It drops a lot of the camp (but not necessarily humor).

ST:II is the best example since we can compare it to Space Seed. Khan's character, twisted by being marooned and losing his wife, is a much more serious threat than in Space Seed even though he had Kirk dead to rights in the decompression chamber.

Stuff like the ceti eels and the murder of the crew of the Regula station would have been completely out of place in TOS even when you take into account standards and practices and special effects.

TOS is much more light hearted than anything except maybe ST:IV and you can't really account for all those differences in maturity of story telling.

Really, I think Galaxy Quest matches the tone of TOS far closer than any of the original movies. It's a light-hearted romp, not a 6 movie arc about aging, death, and feelings of relevancy.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Also one of the guys in spacesuits on the hull is another Apollo--Jamie Bamber from :bsg:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Where did they get the budget for this and how did they not get shut down by Paramount?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Where did they get the budget for this and how did they not get shut down by Paramount?

Turns out that CBS/Paramount was basically fine with the fan film stuff, including the fans straight up filming new episodes of TOS like Continues and New Voyages until one rear end in a top hat ruined it for everyone.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Kickstarter, and they didn’t get shut down because it used to be that if you weren’t making money off fan films most IP owners didn’t care. Then it did get shut down when Axanar poo poo in the well.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I'd always heard that the rule with them was that as long as it was non-profit, they were totally fine with it.

^^ E:FB, how 'bout that Shatner eh?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

bull3964 posted:

ST:II is the best example since we can compare it to Space Seed. Khan's character, twisted by being marooned and losing his wife, is a much more serious threat than in Space Seed even though he had Kirk dead to rights in the decompression chamber.

Stuff like the ceti eels and the murder of the crew of the Regula station would have been completely out of place in TOS even when you take into account standards and practices and special effects.

TOS is much more light hearted than anything except maybe ST:IV and you can't really account for all those differences in maturity of story telling.

Really, I think Galaxy Quest matches the tone of TOS far closer than any of the original movies. It's a light-hearted romp, not a 6 movie arc about aging, death, and feelings of relevancy.

I'm not saying your point is completely without merit, but the tone of TOS isn't monolithic. Just off the top of my head, Operation: Annihilate! alone features mass death on a scale far beyond Regula One, and an awful parasite to boot.

The Conscience of the King, Balance of Terror, and The Doomsday Machine also deal with mature themes without a lot of whimsy or romping. The movies are an evolution, sure, but not unprecedented.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The crew of the USS Defiant went insane from a negative space wedgie and bludgeoned each other to death.

E: An energy being that feeds on rage cursed the Enterprise crew and a Klingon boarding party to spend eternity unable to die but mauling each other to death only to be resurrected endlessly.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 25, 2018

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Please crowdfund my fan-made sequel to the episode "Threshold" in which the Federation develops a special task force to deal with all the lizards that result from aliens throughout the cosmos who figure out how to go Warp 10, pop into every point in the universe simultaneously, and devolve.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

bull3964 posted:

(Read the post wrong. Thanks, McNally)
I dunno....is Khan a more serious threat in Space Seed? I'm not so sure about that because even though one of the themes of TWoK is experience (Kirk) vs book knowledge (Khan), Khan and his followers were still able to inflict a lot of damage on the Enterprise. He became especially dangerous after he captured the Genesis Device around 2/3 of the way in.

However, I do see your point. The movies were generally more serious than TOS, but I don't know if that's an uncommon thing for TV shows that become movies. What seems to end up happening a lot of the time is that a bigger screen and a larger audience means that writers feel like they have to tell more adult stories, which they may not have had the time or budget to tell on TV.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 25, 2018

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

I dunno....is Khan a more serious threat in Space Seed? I'm not so sure about that because even though one of the themes of TWoK is experience (Kirk) vs book knowledge (Khan), Khan and his followers were still able to inflict a lot of damage on the Enterprise. He became especially dangerous after he captured the Genesis Device around 2/3 of the way in.

However, I do see your point. The movies were generally more serious than TOS, but I don't know if that's an uncommon thing for TV shows that become movies. What seems to end up happening a lot of the time is that a bigger screen and a larger audience means that writers feel like they have to tell more adult stories, which they may not have had the time or budget to tell on TV.

They said Khan is a more serious threat than in Space Seed.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

skasion posted:

Kickstarter, and they didn’t get shut down because it used to be that if you weren’t making money off fan films most IP owners didn’t care. Then it did get shut down when Axanar poo poo in the well.

Paramount/CBS was so OK with Continues that they let them finish out their last 3 or 4 episodes well past The Directives were issued. Same with Cawley and NV: even though he agreed to end his new episodes, they gave him a license for official tours of his set. Which I heartily recommend--I've been there once and will be going in a week and a half to see Shatner there. If you are a TOS fan, this is like going to Disneyworld.

Some fan films had a great relationship with TPTB.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Does continues use the same sets as new voyages or do they have their own? Cause those are really good sets. Is new voyages even better set-wise?

speakhard
Nov 30, 2003

from mars to uranus.

Does continues use the same sets as new voyages or do they have their own? Cause those are really good sets. Is new voyages even better set-wise?

Different sets. New Voyages is in upstate NY and Continues is (was?) in Georgia, I believe.

Vic worked on a couple NV episodes, then there was some kind of schism and Vic went off and started Continues. This all went down around the time of New Voyages "Kitumba" which Vic directed and co-starred as the Klingon villain.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
https://twitter.com/ScottWamplerBMD/status/989302430369136640

JJTrek 4 and TarantinoTrek?

(I don't know poo poo about twitter, have no idea how to link to a single tweet in a thread)

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 26, 2018

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Serial movies are the new (old) hotness thanks to Marvel, and two of the three most highly-regarded Trek movies are part of a trilogy, so I would anticipate a two-parter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Random thought but Badgers fake episode of Trek in breaking bad is actually something I would’ve really enjoyed if it were real