Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

Nerds have always ruined thinga meant for kids. Tiny Toons ended because early internet furries were stalking Tress Macneil and like, leaving explicit messages about Babs Bunny on her answering machine.

Dennis Falk, to be more precise. So notorious his mug ended up being the inspiration for the first guy you see on the Get A Life foundation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Samuringa posted:

Kelso and Cox are definitely not meant to be admirable, or even likable. Todd is special.

The Todd is the first pansexual character on network tv

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Kunster posted:

Dennis Falk, to be more precise. So notorious his mug ended up being the inspiration for the first guy you see on the Get A Life foundation.

I also strongly suspect this is entirely why the Warners aren't of a single identifiable species.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Warners are just whatever the gently caress Bosco and Honey were. Cartoons, I guess.

lamey_whinehouse
Jul 5, 2007

by Smythe

purple death ray posted:

The Warners are just whatever the gently caress Bosco and Honey were. Cartoons, I guess.

pretty sure Bosco and Honey were racist caricatures, or at least started out that way

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

purple death ray posted:

I think they're just Warners

lamey_whinehouse posted:

pretty sure Bosco and Honey were racist caricatures, or at least started out that way

I had actually forgotten about Bosko, and went to look him up. Apparently they redesigned him after taking him to MGM.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kunster posted:

I have never heard of this person, so I looked him up on Google and the first result was a DeviantArt page.

Seems legit.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SpacePig posted:

I think they're just Warners

I had actually forgotten about Bosko, and went to look him up. Apparently they redesigned him after taking him to MGM.

Christ on sale, I'm only familiar with the old stuff they'd show on nickelodeon back in the day. He was some weird half-dog creature like the middle picture on an Animorphs book. That's....something.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Speaking of Foster's Home:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEc1aGQoiGE

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

purple death ray posted:

Christ on sale, I'm only familiar with the old stuff they'd show on nickelodeon back in the day. He was some weird half-dog creature like the middle picture on an Animorphs book. That's....something.

He was originally "negro boy" as first designed, but lost the southern dialect pretty quickly and minstrel aspect and became just another character of vague sprcies.

Still pretty cringe worthy, but as a kid I never thought of him as black, just as an "old-timey character", or Mickey rip-off.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

The plot of the third episode of NewsRadio revolves around the Joey Buttafuoco case.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The plot of the third episode of NewsRadio revolves around the Joey Buttafuoco case.

"Of all the ways you could have pronounced his name, you chose the worst."

How many years later and I still remember that line?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Wheat Loaf posted:

I went to see a movie where they played a Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends segment that was about 10 minutes long but felt like it was half an hour and all the characters (especially the blue one) were incredibly annoying. I still don't entirely see the appeal.

That show always sucked hot garbage.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

That's actually a pretty fascinating case and it's interesting how the wife explains her perspective on things. Joey had always been a piece of poo poo, it took her a while to figure out because she had a very loyal and faithful personality. So by that time he'd already gambled away their house for cocaine once.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Well Buttafuoco to you too, matthew

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Not much, what’s a Buttafuoco with you?

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
I vaguely remember some of the plots and jokes with Phil Hartman's character being unintended bummers after the fact. I haven't seen the show in years though I hope it has aged well given how fondly I remember it in my heart. Of course, a significant portion of the cast hasn't, though some of them are doing well like Stephen Root and Khandi Alexander.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Stephen Root has aged incredibly well. If you put a picture of him in season 1 of NewsRadio and in his most recent appearance in Brooklyn Nine-Nine side by side I would not guess that 20 years had passed between them.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Besesoth posted:

Stephen Root has aged incredibly well. If you put a picture of him in season 1 of NewsRadio and in his most recent appearance in Brooklyn Nine-Nine side by side I would not guess that 20 years had passed between them.

Which reminds me, can't wait for Season 3 of The Man in the High Castle.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Besesoth posted:

That walrus injections he got in the army has kept him young.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Besesoth posted:

Because he is stealing parts of black people and making them his own

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I rewatched the first few seasons of Newsradio a while ago and it held up pretty well, except for the episode where Matthew becomes obsessed with Dilbert and Scott Adams gets a cameo.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Howard Beale posted:

I rewatched the first few seasons of Newsradio a while ago and it held up pretty well, except for the episode where Matthew becomes obsessed with Dilbert and Scott Adams gets a cameo.

At that time Dilbert was still that "weird comic that our engineering department likes". Scott Adams lost it at some point around the Office Space becoming a cult hit and Dilbert - the animated series tanking.

Although I used to be an engineer and liked the animated series. :(

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Better Off Ted was a better Dilbert sitcom.

I miss Better Off Ted. Show loving ruled.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah. I feel like Comedy Central's Corporate is kind of a spiritual successor.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Der Kyhe posted:

Although I used to be an engineer and liked the animated series. :(
Yeah I remember liking the animated series although I haven't watched it in years so maybe it aged terribly?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Santa Clarita Diet is made by the Better Off Ted showrunner and is very good. It's a pretty different show, but a bunch of the musical cues are the same, which I enjoy a lot.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I love Santa Clarita Diet! I had no idea it was by the same showrunner, but now that you mention it the humor and timing of a lot of it is really similar.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Howard Beale posted:

And yet getting obsessed with Dilbert has aged well due to recent events.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Of course, a significant portion of the cast hasn't, though some of them are doing well like Stephen Root and Khandi Alexander.

Joe Rogan's good. Maura Tierney, too. Dave Foley resolved his legal issues recently. I think, as a group, they're doing OK.

As for Dilbert, I liked the strip but even as a ten-year-old I could tell something was off about Scott Adams. You got the sense that he thought he was the smartest person in the world, and constructed his worldview accordingly.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Besesoth posted:

Yeah he looks exactly the same. And somehow Christian Slater has grown to look exactly like him.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Whiz Palace posted:

Joe Rogan's good. Maura Tierney, too. Dave Foley resolved his legal issues recently. I think, as a group, they're doing OK.

As for Dilbert, I liked the strip but even as a ten-year-old I could tell something was off about Scott Adams. You got the sense that he thought he was the smartest person in the world, and constructed his worldview accordingly.

I dunno, I think the first decade of Dilbert holds up pretty well (the first few years are kind of bad, but a different kind of bad than what Scott Adams is known for these days.) Early on Dilbert is meant as more of a lovable loser and is usually the butt of the joke; his supposed intelligence is used to contrast how clueless he actually is and he frequently gets outmaneuvered by people less "smart" than he is. It's only later that Dilbert started being a smug rear end in a top hat.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Straight White Shark posted:

It's only later that Dilbert started being a smug rear end in a top hat.

The problem was much more obvious with Dogbert - though he denied it from the start, that's essentially how Adams sees himself.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Straight White Shark posted:

I dunno, I think the first decade of Dilbert holds up pretty well (the first few years are kind of bad, but a different kind of bad than what Scott Adams is known for these days.) Early on Dilbert is meant as more of a lovable loser and is usually the butt of the joke; his supposed intelligence is used to contrast how clueless he actually is and he frequently gets outmaneuvered by people less "smart" than he is. It's only later that Dilbert started being a smug rear end in a top hat.
The side characters took a little while longer than that to start going downhill, but I guess that might be my irrational love for Wally speaking.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Whiz Palace posted:

Paul Simms, the creator of Newsradio, worked on the HBO Girls show for a while. Yeesh.

e: oh he produces Atlanta now. Yeah he's doing well.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Whiz Palace posted:

Joe Rogan's good.

Joe Rogan is financially successful because he hasn't aged well. He's been sucking down that sweet, sweet schizophrenic InfoWars-style cash for more than a decade.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
It's good to hear that Dave Foley is doing well since he was a mess last I heard but Joe Rogan being an adjunct member of the alt-right was precisely the kind of "not doing well" I was thinking of, even if he might be personally financially stable or wealthy.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Besesoth posted:

Joe Rogan is financially successful because he hasn't aged well. He's been sucking down that sweet, sweet schizophrenic InfoWars-style cash for more than a decade.

I mean yea, he's still Joe Rogan, dude was always insane. Joe Rogan has always loved three things. Fighting, doing drugs, and asking if we REALLY know the moon landing happened. He hasn't so much aged badly as found a large platform to age normally on.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

It's good to hear that Dave Foley is doing well since he was a mess last I heard but Joe Rogan being an adjunct member of the alt-right was precisely the kind of "not doing well" I was thinking of, even if he might be personally financially stable or wealthy.

How well is he doing the days? Last I heard his accountant hosed him over our something and it forced him to take on a lot of lovely work à la Nick Cage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I remember being okay with Joe Rogan on Fear Factor.