Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
more like old fatfree

E:

NotAlwaysRight posted:

(I work in a very popular book store as a cashier. There is a wall between me and the kids section, but I can see a toy being thrown up and down.)

Child: *as loud as they can yell* “HERPES! HERPES!”

Child’s Mother: “NO, BABY, IT’S, ‘WHOOPEE!’”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

oldpainless posted:

OTOH lollin at that fuckin fat bitch

More like OldCompassionless.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The show OK KO! made fun of these kinds of stories - some idiot throws his empty cup on the floor right where Dendy is cleaning, and walks off smugly. Then later you see him on the phone trying and failing to embellish the story with a witty catchphrase and everyone clapping. He's so pathetic too, its just like "No, really. That's what happened" and the other guy is totally not buying it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Let's re-rail please.

I know this is months old, but I'm getting caught up on this thread, but to me, the best thing about this story is the quote at the bottom is by the author of Vampire Academy

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

If you have central heterochromia then which eye colour is more visibly prominent can change based on pupil dilation. But we're talking greeny brown vs browny green, not mood ring traffic lights in your face.

I have central heterochromia. Until I hit puberty they were just dark blue, then the central heterochromia appeared and suddenly everyone was referring to my green eyes. They're still blue, but the gold makes them look green and it's easier to call them green than "like hazel but blue and gold instead of green and brown". It's weird to look at my school photos, and see one year they're dark pure blue and the next they look more teal and gold.

Uh, and also they glint like diamonds when I get mad, and turn bright blue, almost glowing, when I'm telling off some bitch in line at Wal-Mart.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I have eyes like that and I just call them hazel on official stuff, because I realized you can just say whatever the gently caress you want on a driver's license and no one ever checks.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Twitch posted:

I have eyes like that and I just call them hazel on official stuff, because I realized you can just say whatever the gently caress you want on a driver's license and no one ever checks.

This is true. My driver's licence has had my weight from when I was sixteen for almost twenty years. I do not weigh what I did when I was sixteen. At one point I pointed out that wasn't right, and the clerk at the access centre waved it off and said not to worry about it.

For the record, my license says I have blue eyes, but at least half the people I know would argue that my eyes are grey. No fancy colour-changing here, just an indeterminate in-between color that no one can agree on.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

RoboRodent posted:

This is true. My driver's licence has had my weight from when I was sixteen for almost twenty years. I do not weigh what I did when I was sixteen. At one point I pointed out that wasn't right, and the clerk at the access centre waved it off and said not to worry about it.

For the record, my license says I have blue eyes, but at least half the people I know would argue that my eyes are grey. No fancy colour-changing here, just an indeterminate in-between color that no one can agree on.

I remember telling the guy who was doing my dependent ID when I got married years ago my weight. He looked at me incredulously, and subtracted 10 pounds. I guess he thought I didn't know my own weight? I've always weighed more than I look like due to my body shape. It was still really weird.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Araenna posted:

I remember telling the guy who was doing my dependent ID when I got married years ago my weight. He looked at me incredulously, and subtracted 10 pounds. I guess he thought I didn't know my own weight? I've always weighed more than I look like due to my body shape. It was still really weird.

I've been called overweight before by people who only know my height, weight, and what the BMI says they're supposed to be. Then they see me and I have a completely average body shape for someone 6'2 and even I can't find out where my weight is hiding.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Araenna posted:

I have central heterochromia. Until I hit puberty they were just dark blue, then the central heterochromia appeared and suddenly everyone was referring to my green eyes. They're still blue, but the gold makes them look green and it's easier to call them green than "like hazel but blue and gold instead of green and brown". It's weird to look at my school photos, and see one year they're dark pure blue and the next they look more teal and gold.

Uh, and also they glint like diamonds when I get mad, and turn bright blue, almost glowing, when I'm telling off some bitch in line at Wal-Mart.

Oh hey what up gold around the iris buddy? I've got the same thing, but grey eyes.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

I've been called overweight before by people who only know my height, weight, and what the BMI says they're supposed to be. Then they see me and I have a completely average body shape for someone 6'2 and even I can't find out where my weight is hiding.

Yeah, my BMI still shows me as overweight even though I'm at a perfectly healthy weight. I think nowadays that's partially because of the excess skin from a gastric bypass, but I would need to lose 20 lbs to get out of the overweight range (about halfway in between obese and healthy), which I'm pretty sure would be definitely underweight, even though the chart says I could lose another 50 lbs before that happened.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Oh hey what up gold around the iris buddy? I've got the same thing, but grey eyes.

:hfive:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
That’s why BMI was developed for studying population trends, and is barely useful for use on the individual level. Across bunches of people, it works very well.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

My BMI says I’m “really loving fat” and you know what it’s actually correct

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
BMI does a good enough job for the average person to get an idea of where they fall. And the people who don't fall under 'average' in this context(incredibly muscular or super tall/short people) already know it.

Waist circumference and body fat % are still better if you want to know exactly where you fall, but BMI's fine for a quick estimate.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

oldpainless posted:

My BMI says I’m “really loving fat” and you know what it’s actually correct

More like oldfitless

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Haifisch posted:

BMI does a good enough job for the average person to get an idea of where they fall. And the people who don't fall under 'average' in this context(incredibly muscular or super tall/short people) already know it.

Waist circumference and body fat % are still better if you want to know exactly where you fall, but BMI's fine for a quick estimate.
It's really pretty useless for individuals, especially women. Like, it doesn't even give me an idea, it's off by 30 lbs. And I'm average height and average muscle mass. You're probably better off looking in a mirror and making a guess honestly.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Araenna posted:

You're probably better off looking in a mirror and making a guess honestly.
The problem there is that (assuming you're American) we've collectively been getting so loving fat that most people's mental image of a healthy body weight is way off. Actual numbers are harder to distort, even if it's a 'general idea that works for most people, with a few exceptions' number like BMI. And yes, I'm including women in that, speaking as a woman whose BMI has always correlated pretty well with how fat I am. If anything, BMI underestimates how fat the average woman is, because we tend to be shorter.

Seriously, I agree that BMI isn't super ultra perfect accurate, but it's not as worthless as some people claim either. It's a quick, free screening tool to get a general idea of how fat/not fat you are, and does a decent enough job of that. If the number you get raises concerns or you don't believe it, you can follow up with more time/money intensive stuff to get a more precise evaluation. (Waist circumference is also quick and free, and is generally better than BMI, but it becomes even more useful combined with BMI. Might as well measure both.)

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Haifisch posted:

Seriously, I agree that BMI isn't super ultra perfect accurate, but it's not as worthless as some people claim either.

They only claim it's worthless because some people will cling to any excuse if it gets them out of having to commit to something, particularly weight loss and a healthy lifestyle. If they can go on believing they are healthy and not obese by dismissing BMI out of hand because "it doesn't work sometimes", they'll die on that hill (of fat).

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I would react with horror that they used Comic Sans :smuggo:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i’d probably fire my many guns into the air, howling with anger.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
I would photograph it and post it on the internet, since I wrote it myself.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

But it has a crease in it, that means it must be real.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

To be fair, an NRA life member probably is a loving lunatic.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

But it has a crease in it, that means it must be real.

Ok but what kind of psychopath folds a note vertically?? Imo way more worried about them than the gun owner

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I'm surprised that Jeep doesn't just bundle an NRA membership into the purchase of a Wrangler

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

:jaypeg:

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

They meant "Although it is your right" and not "For it is you right", correct?

It seems like the person who wrote the letter to themselves was trying to be too proper and fancy (to drive home that they are being looked down on as a "hillbilly").

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEzhxP-pdos

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah sure just keep defending an inaccurate chart for no reason when there's better ways for individuals to estimate. Using google and seeing the many, many articles that pop up about how inaccurate it is for individuals is apparently too hard.

Edit: Didn't refresh like a moron, sorry for continuing the derail

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Araenna posted:

Yeah sure just keep defending an inaccurate chart for no reason when there's better ways for individuals to estimate. Using google and seeing the many, many articles that pop up about how inaccurate it is for individuals is apparently too hard.

The problem is most people who whine about BMI not being accurate don't search for anything more accurate. They just say "a number can't define me" and move on with their life and assume that just because it's not perfect it means they are healthy.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Araenna posted:

Man this is the quintessential stupid rear end in a top hat post

The person "defending" it even acknowledged all that!

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

Zelder posted:

Who are you talking about, the one who said Americans can't tell what a fat person is, or the person who said that the only reason someone would say it's not good for an individual is because that person is a fat tubbo who can't accept reality?

Let me be clear, I mostly agree with Haifisch. BMI is accurate enough for a quick estimate, and that people who are in unique situations that invalidate it are already aware of that fact. But let's not pretend that this one wasn't assholes all around.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Zelder posted:

How about we all shut up about something as stupid as the accuracy of a BMI chart and talk about some STDH? Gendercritical is a subreddit of "feminists" who are actually just right wing transphobes. They like to talk about "peak trans", which is basically like when people talk about when they took the red pill.

reddit posted:

Let me preface by saying I am a woman. Because my whole slow climb to peak trans is people questioning something that I thought was really loving obvious. Guess not!

I am not particularly androgynous looking. In fact, I am very easy to visually identify as an adult lady. I have never indicated that I thought of myself as a different sex. I do have a particularly deep, very monotone voice, and am generally lacking in outward expression. But it’s how I’ve always been, even as a small child, and hasn’t been an issue regarding identifying my sex before.

But I guess I missed some very recent memo that informed everyone else that having these specific traits were a gendered red flag. And now I’m being hit with a trifecta of stupidity.

First, I keep getting told that I sound trans, told that people will always (and that they rightfully should) assume I'm trans, or told that I "outed myself" as trans once I open my mouth to speak. I’ve had multiple occurrences, specifically tied to my dispassionate composure and deep voice. It’s just my natural disposition, people. Shocking women don’t all act and sound alike, I know.

Then, there are those not wanting to “misgender” me – after I’ve already corrected them multiple times that I’m female – and opt to continue with gender-neutral terms I’ve already told them I don’t prefer. When I continue to correct them, I’m accused of being a bigot, or questioned if I’m “sure”. Yes, I am sure. But I swear, if I hear another person rudely referring to me as “they”, like I’m some plural organism housed in one agamic body, then this “collective they” is going to start considering the potential benefits of physically re-gendering all offenders as “slapped” and “slappedself”.

Now lastly, and the most confusing in the moment, I’m getting people very purposefully calling me “sir” or using male pronouns like a sort of “gotcha”. Like I failed to trick them with my outward femininity, and they caught me in my obvious lie, so now it’s their job to passive-aggressively show me that they figured it out! Hell, I’ve even been informed of biological reality by strangers. Looks like you got me, folks. Ugh…

I am a biological woman. I have been a grown rear end woman longer than some of these people have been alive. How is anyone supposed to 100% prove their biological sex anymore without resorting to pulling down their pants in public? Jesus Christ.

Peak trans, right now. But since down is the new up, maybe it’s more of a pit trans. A giant black pit that’s separate from reality, full of nothing but agitating voices and vomited diatribe meant to drive all its inhabitants gradually insane.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

In undergrad our econ course had one of those 'invest pretend money into stocks' competitions.

I put all my money into Badger Meter Incorporated, because in America BMI only goes up.

I won.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Araenna posted:

How about we all shut up about something as stupid as the accuracy of a BMI chart and talk about some STDH? Gendercritical is a subreddit of "feminists" who are actually just right wing transphobes. They like to talk about "peak trans", which is basically like when people talk about when they took the red pill.

quote:

I’m accused of being a bigot

I absolutely believe that this happens on the daily.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

To be fair, an NRA life member probably is a Christian.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
my kid is so smart

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ein cooler Typ posted:

my kid is so smart

Who believes in the tooth fairy at age 9? Like, that always seemed like the first one kids stop believing in. I didn't know many kids who still believed in Santa at that age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Ein cooler Typ posted:

my kid is so smart

I dunno how old I was, but I discovered Santa and Easter bunny were the same person because their handwriting was the same.