Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Relax Or DIE posted:

So what kind of content do you all actually want?

I like bosses. I do not like trash. Any content that heavily emphasizes trash fights is never going to be anything but bad to me and it doesn't matter what weird levelling mechanics they stick around their trash grinding.

Also Frontlines: BATTLE ROYALE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Foxhound posted:

The free game time that I got when I bought the game is about to lapse so I need to set up my sub. Is there a goon RAF system anywhere?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3726688

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

jalapeno_dude posted:

It is telegraphed: you're supposed to run in or out depending on whether he's on two legs or four. The problem is that I can never remember which is which.

If he's standing on his back legs, run in. Otherwise, stay away.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Relax Or DIE posted:

I mean I'm probably the worst person to ask since I'd want the gameplay/engine side of the game rebuilt entirely from the ground up. So stuff like damage not being tied to the animation needs to go, every fight feeling like doing a dance while doing your constant, samey rotation. There's no "forbidden section" of your keyboard you open up when you need to push DPS (at least for a Black Mage). The game being so slow that I alt-tab as often as I can etc etc

As for actual tangible content, probably more 4 man stuff. Palace of the Dead/Heaven on High is a good start, Challenge Mode dungeons (speedrunning stuff, more gimmicks, different/goofy stuff and so on), make the rewards really neat cosmetic gear OR cosmetic additions to skills (Blue Fire! Blizzard 4 drops a fat chocobo ice sculpture on them, idk). Just small scale content that I can do with friends that doesn't get gated behind a lockout or something.

Also I want more Crystal Tower/Labyrinth of the Ancients 24 player gimmicks (where the game was based around you being in 3 different parties) and less Void Ark where it felt like the devs went "Uh we got this dungeon here just multiply the boss' health by 8 or something."

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Void ark was honestly the worst of any 24 mans, I barely ran it when it was current and it was only made a decent experience after gear inflation made it about 50% shorter. :v:

But yeah, I might just stop playing this game altogether and go back to gw2 full time if after the next expansion we don't get some more dev time on 4 man things, I hear they have good raids now, and their new solo and overworld content has been real fun lately IMO, plus all my irl friends play that.

I know a lot of people see old content as dead content, and especially 4 man old content and give zero shits, but dungeon and trial roulettes + level sync are probably the best combination of "push button, get variety" in the MMO world IMO. All the other games lack one or the other, and they're far worse for just logging in and doing something for 30 minutes for it imo. That'll never, ever happen with poo poo like diadem or eureka, so...

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Thanks! Question since I don't want to clutter that thread: Does it matter what server/region/data center the other person is on? Doesn't seem to be a lot of goons on Chaos.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
AFAIK region totally doesn't matter, RAF is an account thing.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
100 Warriors of Light teleport into Eureka at level 1 and fight each other until only one remains. Winner gets a kiss from the Scion of their choice, because erp is the only way to trick FF players into a pvp game mode.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

100 Warriors of Light teleport into Eureka at level 1 and fight each other until only one remains. Winner gets a kiss from the Scion of their choice, because erp is the only way to trick FF players into a pvp game mode.

And then they all get permabanned.

Or they can only create characters on Balmung and can't transfer.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I actually wish Eureka was more Guild Wars 2 and less FFXI.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Chucat posted:

cosmetic additions to skills (Blue Fire! Blizzard 4 drops a fat chocobo ice sculpture on them, idk)..

This would be great. I'd pay real money for my whm cures to insult players for not avoiding aoe

Ride The Gravitron fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 25, 2018

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

dungeons are good because blm is fun and making bad tanks cry after a quad flare is satisfying

raids are good because they’re short and sweet (usually) though as cool as dancing mad was to hear it’s not actually a very exciting tune to fight to, exdeath was better in that respect even if I don’t like the fight itself as much

pvp is good because even when I lose (always) I still get enough pvp funbux for the outfits I want

alliances are good because no matter how many corpses are on the ground you’re probably still going to win anyway, also ff xiv has some really great set pieces in these places

dun scaith is one of my favorite places in any game even with its flaws just because of the atmosphere

eureka is... I guess I’m glad someone likes it? I don’t intend to stay there once I get the dyeable whm and blm sets but if it’s what you like then you do you

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

UHD posted:

dungeons are good because blm is fun and making bad tanks cry after a quad flare is satisfying

raids are good because they’re short and sweet (usually) though as cool as dancing mad was to hear it’s not actually a very exciting tune to fight to, exdeath was better in that respect even if I don’t like the fight itself as much

pvp is good because even when I lose (always) I still get enough pvp funbux for the outfits I want

alliances are good because no matter how many corpses are on the ground you’re probably still going to win anyway, also ff xiv has some really great set pieces in these places

dun scaith is one of my favorite places in any game even with its flaws just because of the atmosphere

eureka is... I guess I’m glad someone likes it? I don’t intend to stay there once I get the dyeable whm and blm sets but if it’s what you like then you do you

It's almost as if FFXIV is a good game.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

I'd be cool with Eureka if it was designed more like a WoW Update Island.

Open world content is cool when it's casual and approachable by a solo player - give it some semblance of structure and short term goals so that it feels manageable to work towards the long term goals. It's almost baffling to me that almost every aspect of the game has some amount of daily or weekly incentive to participate in it, but Eureka offers no easy way to chip away at it. Maybe axe elemental level - some degree of progression in a new type of content isn't entirely a bad thing, but It just kind of feels awful going into Eureka and just having all you character strength neutered just so you can be forced through a new grind.

Rare spawns and public event type things are neat, but I can't say I really like the mechanics of NM - at least from the amount I've dipped my toes into Eureka, it felt kinda lovely getting basically nothing from grinding out the tons of monsters it takes to spawn one - having a hidden spawn timer on top of that seems dumb because now it's possible to just completely waste your time grinding something if it's not ready to spawn?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

if they scrapped elemental levels entirely and just embraced eureka-as-enormous-fate-train with minimal barrier to entry, it... it would still be pretty bad, but it wouldn't be actively offensive

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Chucat posted:

stuff like damage not being tied to the animation needs to go,

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Eureka just being a GW2 style map with fates that range from soloable to group stuff would've probably been much better. Mix in poo poo like gathering SB tier stuff while going around as well while you're at it.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

No, that exactly the point, you're paying for a subscription game to watch netflix. It is very nice of you that you do it in eureka now, so you don't inconvenience other players in anymore by your ARR level dps, at least.

I don't actually, i haven't been in Eureka for weeks. The point is that most content in FFXIV is like that, so Eureka jsut followed previous examples.

I'm crafting something? Hit that macro and watch netflix in between waiting.
Going out for gathering? Mash that button and navigate with one eye while watching netflix. Thank god for background controller input.
Playing Triple Triad? Guess what's perfect while you wait for your opponent's move.
Doing the Hunt? Unless i'm actively trying to spawn a certain S rank, you bet i'm watching netflix while flying around and waiting for ACT to call out a hunt mob position to me.
Main Story Quest? Well the only major difference most of the time is the quality of the video material you're watching.

Just about the only activities you can't give the netflix treatment in FF14 are the housing endgame and maybe the 8-man raids / trials. Basically anything you're not doing for the first couple times doesn't need much attention.

Sorry about that.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I'm still with people who feel like Eureka should have been more like WoW's Timeless Isle from the end of the Mists of Pandaria expansion. A self-contained zone full of daily and weekly quests, as well as little bits to explore. It can still be grindy and you can powerlevel, if you want, but there should be a way to progress at a slower pace that still feels like you're getting reasonable rewards.

You can just grind mobs but not the high-level fates in Eureka now, but that pace is glacial. If they made it even like Beast Tribes, where you get three quests a day for some amount of XP and crystals it would be better.

I'm going to wait to see what they do with Eureka 2, but I have a feeling it's just going to be NM trains but at Elemental Level 20-40.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Relax Or DIE posted:

I've said it a few times before, but repeating 4-man content with a level of randomization/variation and scaling difficulty. Legion's Mythic+ system is a good starting point, but there's room for innovation and improvement on FFXIV's end.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah having some daily tasks to do in Eureka would go a long way toward easing the grind and making the content just more palatable in general.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Leofish posted:

I'm still with people who feel like Eureka should have been more like WoW's Timeless Isle from the end of the Mists of Pandaria expansion. A self-contained zone full of daily and weekly quests, as well as little bits to explore. It can still be grindy and you can powerlevel, if you want, but there should be a way to progress at a slower pace that still feels like you're getting reasonable rewards.

You can just grind mobs but not the high-level fates in Eureka now, but that pace is glacial. If they made it even like Beast Tribes, where you get three quests a day for some amount of XP and crystals it would be better.

I'm going to wait to see what they do with Eureka 2, but I have a feeling it's just going to be NM trains but at Elemental Level 20-40.

It just needed it's own challenge log category and why it didn't get one boggles the mind.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Hra Mormo posted:

It just needed it's own challenge log category and why it didn't get one boggles the mind.

Because XI and its contemporaries didn't have that kind of thing. The entire rest of the game is designed with WoW-era sensibilities, and Eureka was deliberately trying to ignore all of that in an attempt to hearken back to the oldschool MMOs days. The problem is that oldschool MMOs are gross and icky and repulsive to our current tastes. Yeah, we ate that poo poo up back then, but times have changed and it's objectively bad nowadays.

Eureka with dailies / weeklies would absolutely make it a lot better, and I'd be flabberghasted if we don't see some kind of step in that direction with the next region. But it's pretty clear that their vision for the first one at least was to service the screeching minority of people who enjoyed hellgrinds in the past and somehow still do. Hell, every other year or so I spin up a Ragnarok Online private server and just mindlessly kill monsters to watch bars slowly fill up for a while, because the senseless grind still tickles a nostalgic part of my brain. But even as someone who likes Eureka, I vastly prefer the comfort and quality of life the more modern parts of XIV (and the genre as a whole, I guess) bring.

Eureka is bad but I still like it, can we please stop circling around to this same discussion every three days thanks

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Mymla posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Are you defending "I got hit by a Landslide and got knocked off even though the animation is 20 meters away from me because I was in an arbitrary box 5-10 seconds before Titan actually DOES the Landslide"?

I just need to make sure here.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Chucat posted:

Are you defending "I got hit by a Landslide and got knocked off even though the animation is 20 meters away from me because I was in an arbitrary box 5-10 seconds before Titan actually DOES the Landslide"?

Boy if you think snapshotting latency is bad NOW I dunno what you think trying to tie the hits to the actual particle effects hitting you is gonna do to help that problem.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The solution is to fix telegraph timing to make more sense. Guild wars did a thing with their aoe markers where the orange circle has a brighter orange circle growing inside it, and when it hits full size, the aoe hits, and the animation, damage, lock-in etc all sync up.

Obviously, that means they'd have to rewrite the FFXI netcode, so it isn't happening.

vvvv: This is absolutely correct though, they did achieve consistency, which is good.

Truga fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 25, 2018

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Chucat posted:

Yes, because having the damage tied to the castbar/aoe marker is by far the best way to make sure abilities are consistently dodgeable. If it's tied to the animation, you have no loving idea when you're supposed to be out of it.
This is literally bar none the best part of ffxiv's combat system compared to some other mmos I can name.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Mymla posted:

Yes, because having the damage tied to the castbar/aoe marker is by far the best way to make sure abilities are consistently dodgeable. If it's tied to the animation, you have no loving idea when you're supposed to be out of it.
This is literally bar none the best part of ffxiv's combat system compared to some other mmos I can name.

Agreed, you can't help latency but how ff14 does it is extremely fair, barring titan.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Mymla posted:

If it's tied to the animation, you have no loving idea when you're supposed to be out of it.

I mean, while I get what you're saying, I'd think you're supposed to be out of it "as quickly as possible because a giant death fist is about to slam into you".

As much as I would love for the combat to be a bit more responsive and not "lock in" whether you're hit or not two seconds before the animation plays, it's something I've come to terms with. I could see them fixing it in a lot of cases, though; say Landslide has a theoretical cast time of 3 seconds, just have Titan begin playing his actual animation 1.5 seconds in so the cast bar completes just as the big fancy punch effects go off.

edit: As others have said, the consistency of it is very nice and I do appreciate it. The game locking in your hit/nothit status when the castbar completes is cool and very easy to understand in the heat of battle, they should just touch up animation timing to match up with that.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Mymla posted:

How do you know when to get out of the aoe when the castbar/marker is invisible then? How do you know when the grace period ends?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Chucat posted:

How do you know when to get out of the aoe when the castbar/marker is invisible then? How do you know when the grace period ends?

Is there even a dodgeable mechanic in this game that doesn't have one of these two things? I can't think of a single one.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

DizzyBum posted:

And then they all get permabanned.

Or they can only create characters on Balmung and can't transfer.

Getting to hang out in my apartment (because there’s zero chance of getting a house) is a great reward though. Just watch out for stray Elezen and my pet fish, Zodiac.

Also, I’m supposed to be the thread’s negative person. I don’t understand why, if you hate how the game has played and been structured since 2.0, you’d still be playing it instead of jumping to another perfectly serviceable MMO like Guild Wars 2. Unless it’s the goon hate fetish or something driving y’all.

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Is there even a dodgeable mechanic in this game that doesn't have one of these two things? I can't think of a single one.

The closest thing I can think of is Hashbrown’s pillars and Ultima Beast’s punch/magic explosion, and those both have other visual indicators for them.

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 25, 2018

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Chucat posted:

You don't, so you just dodge it as quickly as possible. And off the top of my head I can think of exactly one such attack, the knockback ghost in phantom train, they're extremely rare in this game. And I'm also not sure how your proposed fix to a problem that does not exist would do anything to change these edge cases.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Knockback ghost does have a cast bar actually :v:
e: it's only seen on the enmity list though, since you can't target it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The castbar on the ghost train knockback isn’t invisible. Remorse pops up on the enemy list and you can see the cast. It’s how I would time holmgang.

E:f;b.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

There are a bunch of bosses and even some normal mobs where they'll telegraph what they're doing with an animation but no cast bar or marker and you need to have a general sense of when it goes off already if you want to i.e. avoid clipping a spell before dodging. I believe there's some enemies who do that before it but when the mechanics start to get dangerous is around Stone Vigil Hard.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

a medical mystery posted:

There are a bunch of bosses and even some normal mobs where they'll telegraph what they're doing with an animation but no cast bar or marker and you need to have a general sense of when it goes off already if you want to i.e. avoid clipping a spell before dodging. I believe there's some enemies who do that before it but when the mechanics start to get dangerous is around Stone Vigil Hard.

Centaurs and minotaurs have animation only attacks plus a couple of bosses and that one type of dragon mob. Anything that does an animation only telegraph does it in a very dramatic fashion and it is pretty easy to figure out.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

a medical mystery posted:

I can't think of an example where there isn't at least a cast bar.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think one of the things that can come up to play is when there's just some legit ol' latnency, and will leave the danger zone "on time" on their end, but too late server-side because of latency. It's usually those situations where you're twenty miles away and still get hit.

There's a few mechanics that require you to get close or far, or away from the front just based on what the boss is casting and/or how they're animated - 10/100 Tonze swing or whatever from the second boss of Aurum Vale and first boss of Hell's lid. The last boss of Fractal Hard has a "watch the boss" tell of get close or far when it's casting that one thing.

e: might have misunderstood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

oh no blimp issue posted:

I can't think of an example where there isn't at least a cast bar.

There are a handful, but nothing is complicated and it is very clear what will happen. Sephirot, for example, no casts the tank buster but does a long drawn out animation in the process.