Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Counterpoint: Glitch is the worst. She's too *quirky* for my realistic, tacticool, simulator game. Bring back Countess. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Khisanth Magus posted:

I'm debating whether I can rip apart glitch's vindy to put 2 PPCs on it without being totally hosed. Basically turn it into the Uziel 2xPPC variant on a vindy chassis.

I also considered that, but when I experimented in the lab it very much looked like you just won't be able to get anywhere near enough heatsinks on there to make that viable. What I did instead was dispensing with PPCs wholesale and putting in two large and medium lasers each, which works pretty decently so far. It's particularly nice for turbofucking annoying lights at some range.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

SpaceDrake posted:

It absolutely is; it's actually completely possible to swap in a whole different initial team of nerds. The JSONs are robust enough that you can actually start with anyone, and even new, totally custom pilots can still be given the "pilot_starter" tag under PilotTags.

The only real meathook right now is that it really seems the game simply will not allow you to start the game without each starter pilot being assigned a 3D portrait asset. Even if you try to be sneaky and put a few extra MechWarriors on your starter list, the game will still load-hang on starting a new game because it tries to find an equal number of StartingMechWarriorPortraits for your StartingMechWarriors. And there just doesn't seem to be a way to null out the 3D portraits in a way that doesn't make the game very upset, and the 3D assets override any 2D assets you have attached to a pilot.

It's literally the only thing keeping me from being up to my eyeballs in mechs right now; it's so silly, but dammit I want my guys to have cool 2D portraits like Mastiff and Kamea do. :smith: And these plans may also be Slightly Anime.

Oh, the save files have also FINALLY been located. they're in [drive]/program files/steam/userdata/[usernumber]/637090/remote/C0/SGS1.

And... they're encoded, not JSONs.

It's definitely going to take either a save editor tool capable of hex maniupulation or an in-game tool to give the Commander a 2D portrait or even revise their 3D portrait.

The game also just hands you what arguably might be the single best long-range sniper 'Mech in the entire setting pre-Clans as part of the story, so that's a major option once you get there.
It's really unfortunate that we can't easily susbtitute 2D pictures for the 3D portraits. The portrait system is OK, but it's not fancy enough to allow me to make the commander I have in my head, and that's bothering me far more than it should.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Well, that's a nice haul for an early 0.5 skull mission. Maxing out salvage was pretty drat worth it on this one. I gave up about 200k C-Bills in payment (if I had maxed pay instead) for all this stuff.

Kinda salty I didn't get that third Panther piece after killing the pilot, but still worth.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Mordja posted:

Counterpoint: Glitch is the worst. She's too *quirky* for my realistic, tacticool, simulator game. Bring back Countess. :colbert:

Counter-counterpoint:

:yayclod: I LEAP :yayclod:
:yayclod: I SOAR :yayclod:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

As I stew over my 11 day absence from my computer for the sake of charity, I have plenty of time to think of a lance preference. For a light skirmisher that could also be a target spotter for an LRM boat, I was thinking either a Panther or a Jenner down the line. Any veteran opinions wouldbe appreciated.

Also yes, Glitch is grand.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

After the initial "can't log into my Paradox account" crap and having a really fun first 10 hours (with only one save scum after losing Behemoth to LRM turrets hitting her cockpit a bunch), I have been hit with the "can't continue or load campaigns, or use skirmish mode" bug. Which means all I can do is watch the intro video.

All I wanted to do over lunch was update the Shadowhawk build I've been thinking up all day. :mad:

Oh well, back to work.

edit: fixed after updating my display drivers (what the hell?)

rocketrobot fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 25, 2018

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Is there any file I can edit to change my character's callsign? I named him "Alpha 1" becuase I've been playing a lot of Freespace but now I have regrets.

chesnok
Nov 14, 2014

Mordja posted:

Falcon from MW4:Mercs is the best female NPC pilot. Trial of Refusal me about it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

FunkMonkey posted:

As I stew over my 11 day absence from my computer for the sake of charity, I have plenty of time to think of a lance preference. For a light skirmisher that could also be a target spotter for an LRM boat, I was thinking either a Panther or a Jenner down the line. Any veteran opinions wouldbe appreciated.

If you're thinking of using a Panther as a scout you might as well just use a Tactics 2 Shadow Hawk cause it's way faster.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

chesnok posted:

Falcon from MW4:Mercs is the best female NPC pilot. Trial of Refusal me about it.

AFF LEAD

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Eej posted:

If you're thinking of using a Panther as a scout you might as well just use a Tactics 2 Shadow Hawk cause it's way faster.

You should probably just grab a jump medium tbh. If someone has Master Tactician(and if someone has Sensor Lock they better loving have Master Tactician to make up for picking Sensor Lock), parking them in a light is a complete waste. Yay, you get to go before other lights! Or you could put them in a medium and pop Lights like whoa. Plus, going deep into tactics makes LRMs hellagood, so not using LRMs on it would be a waste, just not quite as much of one as putting the tactician into a light.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Appreciate the input.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Dropship update: when there's a dropship potentially incoming (like on a "secure depot" mission), the hexes where it'll land and kill any mechs standing there are highlighted red and if you mouse over them it'll say "DROPSHIP COMING, STANDING HERE BAD".

So don't do that.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So somehow 3 years later was bugged for me or I missed something, but I did that mission solo because I didn’t know any better. Reading all the stories of Dekker getting killed on that mission was confusing for a while til I put it together. Took a ton of savescumming and still ended up with my mech and pilot in the medbay for 2 months, but I did it.

Rushed the turret power station and blew it up and avoided the 2 mechs and got back to home base with the 4 allied turrets and played hide and go seek with the 3 mechs and eventually wore them down. The AI could have crushed me if they bothered with the turrets, but they only took out 2 of them, which at least was 2 less I had to worry about during the next phase. Limped to the target I had to blow up, limped back and savescummed a few times to kill the tanks and was done.

I should have just started over because those 2 months and associated costs probably put me at a big disadvantage, but whatever.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Nah I had the same issue even with a full Lance. My player character got shot one time by a lrm turret and it took his head entirely off. He was in the med bay for 100 days

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Actually I would also really appreciate advice on how to build your mechs out after Three Years and good customization options. I haven't played a BT game in years and barely remember what a PPC is.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I fully expect my PC to spend more time in the medbay than out.

There's a reason you start with 8 mechwarrior slots (+ your PC)

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Other than the story being hot garbage, I've been enjoying the game so far. Other than some load time issues it runs fine on my PC.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The most important thing is keeping ranges somewhat consistent imo. SRM and medium lasers is a good combo for a brawler, large laser and ac2 or ac5, a bunch of small lasers on melee lights, etc.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

FunkMonkey posted:

The Panther is roe of a sniper or light trooper. It's actually pretty slow for a light Mech. The Jenner is great as a fast spotter/recon/backstabber. Either use the default config, or turn it into kind of a bigger and meaner Spider by stripping out the SRMs and using the tonnage to max jump jets and add extra armor.

I'm about to hit Axylus with a "super-Spider" Jenner, and the three mediums with some rebuilds done. For the Blackjack I tossed two Mlas and the extra heat sink to upgrade the autocannons to dual AC/5s (which I will later try switching for LLas and a lot of heatsinks), the Shadow Hawk tossed the SRM-2 and LRM-5 for an SRM-6, small laser and extra armor and on the Vindicator I tossed the small laser for extra armor.

Magni fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 25, 2018

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Renegret posted:

I fully expect my PC to spend more time in the medbay than out.

There's a reason you start with 8 mechwarrior slots (+ your PC)

I had six in the medbay at one point. Fortunately you get to expand the roster slots on the Argo :v:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Just got my first-round game in the Goon tournament out of the way with Demiurge4, then did a casual followup game using different conditions (15m, lights and mediums only). Multiplayer in this game is a blast too, especially if you're both still trying to figure out what's good and what's not, and hashing things out via voice while playing. Had some really cool :battletech: moments with wundercrits out of nowhere.

Our second match was way closer than it had any right to be. Lucky PPC shots, a good pilot, access to water for heat dispersal, and jump jets let my Vindicator come every close to holding off a still-full (though damaged) enemy lance.

My general takeaways from both games against a human instead of the AI:

-Firestarters (or, I guess, any mech with a concentration on Flamers) are also real good and should probably be focused down whenever they show up.
-Jenners are great, Jenner supremacy 4ever.
-PPCs are just godlike when coupled with a mechwarrior that's highly skilled in gunnery. Demiurge4's Panthers consistently gave me hell in all cases (except for when I got an early crit on the component).
-I need to rethink how to best use a CPLT-C1, because it fell like a chump to a Panther PPC by me being dumb and not relying more on indirect fire.
-Did I mention how great Jenners are?

This game seems to be selling real well, so I'm optimistic for a sequel that has a more fleshed-out multiplayer mode. Timed leagues/tournaments (with pilot stats, C-bills, and salvage) would just be fantastic.

Drone fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 25, 2018

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
To hell with light mechs, make your light of choice the Certified Steiner Scout Mech, the 55 ton Griffin

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

So is this game good? I have it installed on steam but I'm debating firing it up after work or should I wait a week or whatever?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Raskolnikov posted:

So is this game good? I have it installed on steam but I'm debating firing it up after work or should I wait a week or whatever?

Story is hot garbage but the combat's pretty fun. YMMV if it works on your rig or not.

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear
Here is a "What the hell do I do with my FAMILY HEIRLOOM" build that is working out really well for me:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

UberJew posted:

To hell with light mechs, make your light of choice the Certified Steiner Scout Mech, the 55 ton Griffin

what were they out of atlases

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Magni posted:

The Panther is roe of a sniper or light trooper. It's actually pretty slow for a light Mech. The Jenner is great as a fast spotter/recon/backstabber. Either use the default config, or turn it into kind of a bigger and meaner Spider by stripping out the SRMs and using the tonnage to max jump jets and add extra armor.

I'm about to hit Axylus with a "super-Spider" Jenner, and the three mediums with some rebuilds done. For the Blackjack I tossed two Mlas and the extra heat sink to upgrade the autocannons to dual AC/5s (which I will later try switching for LLas and a lot of heatsinks), the Shadow Hawk tossed the SRM-2 and LRM-5 for an SRM-6, small laser and extra armor and on the Vindicator I tossed the small laser for extra armor.

Appreciate your feedback as well. Sounds like the Jenner will be the way to go down the line, maybe have the Shadowhawk fill the role in the interim.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Where can i learn about the stability rules?

All short range weapons fire when i melee right?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Bloody Pom posted:

Man, so many people having trouble with that first post-timeskip mission. I just had Dekker jump around the side of the plateau and snipe the turret generator from a spot where nothing could fire back.

Tempest_56 posted:

Seriously - I'm not sure why people are having so much trouble with it. It's a huge tutorial that signposts HEY BLOWING UP THE GENERATOR MAKES TURRETS NOT SHOOT and gives you a nice clear path with long line of sight to get to said generator and then does it a second time later in the same mission.

RNGesus is a big deal even if you got good or bad skill. Never forget this.

My most optimistic self rating is "Above average? But average is garbage soooo-", and I came out of that with pristine mech internals except for 60/65 on one Shadowhawk leg. oh no, 1 day and $1,500.

Yet Behemoth was also in the hospital for 40 days, because they got IMMEDIATELY double tapped in the face in the first set of enemy actions :v: Then Glitch nailed an Immediate head kill on the enemy Shadowhawk as soon as it entered visible range... In the mission you can't get salvage from.

:rolldice: :rolldice: :rolldice:

Though I don't think I'll be getting around to much farther than the pre mission prep for Steal that argo son as I'll be away from my PC tomorrow through the 30th. But at least that gives me time to remember to modify my Blackjack more than "Take the ammo out of the CT, AC2 is fine probably!". Maybe U turn until I finally scrape up enough salvage for a spare "Literally anything" because 1 million C bills in the bank means gently caress all if I'm sitting around after I limp my way out of the plot.

I've more extensively modified my Locust I shoved a cheap newbie into at this point than my Blackjack in a whirlwind tour of a single planet's half skull garbage while Dekker got his spider banged up (still less hospital time than Behemoth had left!) :downs: Least I should do is stop to tweak the Blackjack more... But I really like the Jump Jets.

Though I've been getting what are probably super edge case bugs. Like a crash I am ASSUMING is because a Spider and Locust resulting in 4 salvage total on a 2/X contract probably broke the game's brain (auto save resulted in spider+tanks heaps of ammo agogo). And the mass mystery injuries where my crew went from all good, to 20 days out of action (27 for the 3 health suicide pilot) between the time it took to say "Yes I'm sure I want to do the story mission now. NPC chat time" and loading the Mechbay. At least the wall panel event autosave on the way there put be mack to healthy.

The extra week I'll get for the game to cook also means more time for people better at robots at me to think up cool poo poo.

Omar_Comin posted:

Here is a "What the hell do I do with my FAMILY HEIRLOOM" build that is working out really well for me:

I will probably steal something like this because hey, at least it has SOME Jump jets!

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 25, 2018

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Baron Porkface posted:

All support weapons (MG's, Small Lasers, Flamers).

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Also I've been seeing people down on tactics, which I understand because multishot is outrageous but I feel like having one sensor lock pilot around is actually really valuable (for the guaranteed targeting from outside LOS, so I can LRM extremely dangerous targets, far more than the evasion reduction) and once you've got a tanky Heavy like an Orion or an Assault you actually desperately need Master Tactician on your Bulwark pilot both to have the ability to activate your guarded before getting shot by literally everything and because being able to reserve once (or twice on Heavies) for increased stability recovery is how you keep that pilot from being plastered all over their cockpit long before the actual mech dies.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
100% serious post if you're not running max JJs on any 120 base speed light or medium mech (the kind of mech which can fit max 4 JJs) you're seriously missing out, they make you so much more agile and make longer ranged weapons completely redundant.

My other advice for the very early game is don't do the Argo mission before you rebuilt all your starter mechs because they're about twice as effective once you refit them. Even the spider is semi decent once you take the JJs out for armour (it still sucks but farming for a Jenner or Panther to replace it seems like a waste of time when you get a free centurion for progressing in the story)

UberJew posted:

Also I've been seeing people down on tactics, which I understand because multishot is outrageous but I feel like having one sensor lock pilot around is actually really valuable (for the guaranteed targeting from outside LOS, so I can LRM extremely dangerous targets, far more than the evasion reduction) and once you've got a tanky Heavy like an Orion or an Assault you actually desperately need Master Tactician on your Bulwark pilot both to have the ability to activate your guarded before getting shot by literally everything and because being able to reserve once (or twice on Heavies) for increased stability recovery is how you keep that pilot from being plastered all over their cockpit long before the actual mech dies.

This is 100% correct, having exactly 1 sensor lock pilot is extremely good unless you hate LRMs for some reason. Yeah sometimes it's totally useless but other times it lets you completely dumpster a mech which would usually be taking zero damage.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Baron Porkface posted:

Where can i learn about the stability rules?

All the NPCs in the Argo/Leopard will actually tell you about mechanics as part of their dialog trees. Yang talks about stability and bracing and other stuff along those lines.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So how exactly does the multi shot work? I havent quite figured it out.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Tried out skirmish-mode for the first time. My first battle ended with my last mech and the AI's last mech punching each other, since all our weapons were exploded at the time. Luckily my mech was slightly heavier, so the punching ended in my favor. After losing only 3 out of 4 mechs, I can only conclude that I'm awesome!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

So how exactly does the multi shot work? I havent quite figured it out.

Click on targets to label them A, B, C. Click on weapons to switch them from targeting A, B, C. Click fire.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Section Z posted:

RNGesus is a big deal even if you got good or bad skill. Never forget this.

My most optimistic self rating is "Above average? But average is garbage soooo-", and I came out of that with pristine mech internals except for 60/65 on one Shadowhawk leg. oh no, 1 day and $1,500.

Yet Behemoth was also in the hospital for 40 days, because they got IMMEDIATELY double tapped in the face in the first set of enemy actions :v: Then Glitch nailed an Immediate head kill on the enemy Shadowhawk as soon as it entered visible range... In the mission you can't get salvage from.

:rolldice: :rolldice: :rolldice:

Though I don't think I'll be getting around to much farther than the pre mission prep for Steal that argo son as I'll be away from my PC tomorrow through the 30th. But at least that gives me time to remember to modify my Blackjack more than "Take the ammo out of the CT, AC2 is fine probably!". Maybe U turn until I finally scrape up enough salvage for a spare "Literally anything" because 1 million C bills in the bank means gently caress all if I'm sitting around after I limp my way out of the plot.

I've more extensively modified my Locust I shoved a cheap newbie into at this point than my Blackjack in a whirlwind tour of a single planet's half skull garbage while Dekker got his spider banged up (still less hospital time than Behemoth had left!) :downs: Least I should do is stop to tweak the Blackjack more... But I really like the Jump Jets.

Though I've been getting what are probably super edge case bugs. Like a crash I am ASSUMING is because a Spider and Locust resulting in 4 salvage total on a 2/X contract probably broke the game's brain (auto save resulted in spider+tanks heaps of ammo agogo). And the mass mystery injuries where my crew went from all good, to 20 days out of action (27 for the 3 health suicide pilot) between the time it took to say "Yes I'm sure I want to do the story mission now. NPC chat time" and loading the Mechbay. At least the wall panel event autosave on the way there put be mack to healthy.

The extra week I'll get for the game to cook also means more time for people better at robots at me to think up cool poo poo.

I will probably steal something like this because hey, at least it has SOME Jump jets!

Amusingly, despite how well my game has been going overall, I completely missed the second generator on the first Merc tutorial mission. Ended up watching a friend replay it and I died a little inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Internet Explorer posted:

Click on targets to label them A, B, C. Click on weapons to switch them from targeting A, B, C. Click fire.

It's the clicking on the weapons to switch the targets that took me a few battles to figure out. For some reason I assumed it would auto select and I was very confused the first few times I tried it when it would fire all the weapons at whatever target was marked A.