Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Is there a way to see what weapon is mounted where on an enemy mech I am missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Zore posted:

So the first tier guts skill is amazing for anyone you want to put into a relatively immobile or mid-range Mech. Get it on just about everyone except people you're building as dedicated Light pilots or flanker/mobile supports.

For my MC I went with Guts 1/Tactics 2. The second Tactics skill helps a lot if you want to use a heavier mech and Sensor Lock is a decent skill.

Honestly the only skills I really think are worth it are Piloting 1 and 2 (absolutely fantastic and make piloting a Light or quick Medium a solid choice) Tactics 2, and Guts 1.

Gunner 1 is situational and should be somewhere in your squad too. Guts 2 can also be powerful but falls off the heavier your opponents are, I probably would have switched the guts perks myself since 2 feels way more like an early game perk and 1 is basically the best perk in the game.

So really I would say the builds I recommend are

Guts 1/Tactics 2- Dedicated Assault pilot especially with LRMs.

Piloting 2/Tactics 1- Light pilot or other fast mech pilot

Guts 1-2/Gunnery 1-2- Someone who pilots a mech bristling with guns

Gunnery is amazing when you have an assload of vehicles light mechs or armor stripped mechs on field.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rhymenoserous posted:

Gunnery is amazing when you have an assload of vehicles light mechs or armor stripped mechs on field.

Gunnery 1 is also great for taking a bunch of low-percentage shots at a bunch of enemy 'Mechs strictly for the purpose of stripping Evasion from them so your slower guys might actually have a chance to hit them.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I keep subconsciously comparing this game to FFT and Tactics Ogre (because it's what I know for TRPGs) and it's definitely scratching an itch for me. Only performance issues I've got were some slowdown when a lot of particle effects were displayed, but I've got a pretty high end PC with a SSD. I'm only a few missions in, but I like the game so far.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Yeah, the early game has so many vehicle/light mech spamming missions that I've ended up building three pilots with Gunnery 1 so far and it's actually been incredibly helpful for avoiding overkill and finishing missions quickly. It may be situational but that situation is depressingly common so it works out!

(this will in no way come back to bite me in the rear end later when everyone is suboptimal for fighting in heavies and assaults and respeccing is impossible.)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

GruntyThrst posted:

Is there a way to see what weapon is mounted where on an enemy mech I am missing?

When you're targeting an enemy, hover your mouse over a section of their armor display on the top of the screen. It'll show you the armor/structure value, as well as any equipment mounted in that section.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

drat, the game kinda needs to chill with the snipy lights. I just ended up in a 2-skull mission where the enemy force consisted of two lances composed pretty much entirely of Panthers and the large laser-Commandos, led by a PPC-Orion. The lances spawned on opposite sides of my position, too, so it just took for-loving-ever to run them down, while constantly being shot in the butt from afar.

But anyways, have some gifs:
https://i.imgur.com/9brj7x4.mp4
If you run into a missile carrier, kill them first!

https://i.imgur.com/vTX4UM4.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/8TDeEP4.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/3MgldLG.mp4

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Anybody maxed out reputation for a faction yet? What are the effects besides store discounts?

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Perestroika posted:

drat, the game kinda needs to chill with the snipy lights. I just ended up in a 2-skull mission where the enemy force consisted of two lances composed pretty much entirely of Panthers and the large laser-Commandos, led by a PPC-Orion. The lances spawned on opposite sides of my position, too, so it just took for-loving-ever to run them down, while constantly being shot in the butt from afar.

Took me a bit to realize that enemy units, including vehicles, spot for other units, just like you can.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Only played up to the three years later mission, but it was real easy. Had the Spider circle 'round the side of the mountain to blow up the generator while the rest of my lance went down the middle. I had said Spider jump on top of the Commando when it showed up and it went down immediately. Shadowhawk and inevitable betrayal, no problem either. Of course I did have to reload that tutorial mission when Mastiff got blown up right before the end so I guess it evens out. He was a dead man walking anyway, game, why is that a fail state! :v:

Anyway, digging the game and only minor technical issues, including the occasional stuttering when shots hit. It's still early, but no problem with the pacing so far. They're mechs, they're supposed to be lumbering and stompy, and the fact that you can have several moving at the same time really alleviates things. Actually, that's not true: the game does linger overlong on a mech after taking damage and the YOUR TURN fade in takes too long. Hopefully someone makes a Stop Wasting my Time mod like they did for XCOM 2.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Aramoro posted:

I know how initiative works, like I say my issue is with the UI, it doesn't list the initiative on the character portraits only on the mechs themselves. So when it says it's your turn you have to scan about the map for a bit to find the mech who's turn it actually is, the portraits for the active mechs don't seem to highlight or anything like that. It's pretty minor compared to the Enemy Turn...Enemy Turn...Enemy Turn thing but it's a QoL improvement that should be made.

If your mechs can be used on this initiative their portraits are highlighted at the bottom, I'm not sure what you mean by "whose turn it actually is".

Zore posted:

So the first tier guts skill is amazing for anyone you want to put into a relatively immobile or mid-range Mech. Get it on just about everyone except people you're building as dedicated Light pilots or flanker/mobile supports.

For my MC I went with Guts 1/Tactics 2. The second Tactics skill helps a lot if you want to use a heavier mech and Sensor Lock is a decent skill.

Honestly the only skills I really think are worth it are Piloting 1 and 2 (absolutely fantastic and make piloting a Light or quick Medium a solid choice) Tactics 2, and Guts 1.

Gunner 1 is situational and should be somewhere in your squad too. Guts 2 can also be powerful but falls off the heavier your opponents are, I probably would have switched the guts perks myself since 2 feels way more like an early game perk and 1 is basically the best perk in the game.

So really I would say the builds I recommend are

Guts 1/Tactics 2- Dedicated Assault pilot especially with LRMs.

Piloting 2/Tactics 1- Light pilot or other fast mech pilot

Guts 1-2/Gunnery 1-2- Someone who pilots a mech bristling with guns

Gunner 2 is amazing in conjunction with Gunner 1 because breaching shot works if you fire one weapon per enemy so you can just spread LRMs everywhere to break evasion on targets in cover. Also Gunnery skill is the only way to increase your max accuracy so there's that too.

Your LRM boat should more or less be Gunnery for the accuracy and Tactics for the indirect fire penalty removal with your skill choice being to your taste.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It seems like Jump Jets really are the way to go. Evasion is such a big deal and jumping easily gives you four stacks, versus only one or none for moving normally as a big mech.

GruntyThrst posted:

In the tooltip for the enemy mech there is a vertical list on the right side. I believe that it gets further parsed down when you hover over a specific section. Or do you mean something else?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Eej posted:

If your mechs can be used on this initiative their portraits are highlighted at the bottom, I'm not sure what you mean by "whose turn it actually is".

Mine doesn't seem to be highlighting the Pilots, it says 'Your Turn' then I need to go find the Pilot who can go at this step. It matters more when you've had your initiative order messed with. It would just be nice to see, on the character portraits which step they activated in. Unless there's somewhere else on the entirely undocumented UI it says this other than on the Mech's themselves.

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

chesnok posted:

Mary Sue princess story instead of political intrigue we were used to in novels/sourcebooks doesn't help either.
This right here is so jadedgrog.txt that I am going to commemorate this bullshit by making my next play-through the adventures of Commander Mary "Princess" Sue. The name of the Merc Unit will be Stackpole's Self-Inserts.

Seriously laughing at the amount of Mary Sues that are present in novels/sourcebooks.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Mordja posted:

Only played up to the three years later mission, but it was real easy.

Seriously - I'm not sure why people are having so much trouble with it. It's a huge tutorial that signposts HEY BLOWING UP THE GENERATOR MAKES TURRETS NOT SHOOT and gives you a nice clear path with long line of sight to get to said generator and then does it a second time later in the same mission.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

After the initial poo poo-storm of bigots and technical issues, the game is up to Mostly Positive on steam, which feels a lot fairer. It has rough edges and needs a patch pretty bad, but god drat it is fun.

Afraid to ask but...bigots?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

malhavok posted:

"What do you mean I can set my preferred pronoun in this game? WHAT IS THIS SJW CUCKERY!!!?! Also I voted Bernie btw so you can't call me fascist owned libs"

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

malhavok posted:

People don't like they/them being selectable for pronouns.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

malhavok posted:

First day reviews were a giant screaming mess of of people angry about technical issues with the game, people angry about Paradox account login servers getting slammed, and people angry about the fact that the character creator lets you choose to be referred to as "they" as well as a "he" or "she". Which group were the loudest or the most common is left as an exercise for the reader (in other words, not me and ideally not you either because we're all too busy playing the game.)

There, that's all you need to know.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I'm enjoying the bigot tears almost as much as I am the game. Though I will say that the awkwardly long pauses between movement sometimes does dampen my enthusiasm. The missile effects are great on the other hand. Maybe some multiplayer this weekend.

Also the Spider wishes it was as cool as the Locust.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

"They" seems like such a dumb thing to get mad over, especially since you can, like, not choose it if it doesn't apply to you.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

chesnok posted:

Medium laser boating is effective in HBS BT too, surprise surprise. And it was prevalent in TT because having fewer to hit rolls is bad with your generic 4/5 pilot. Level 1 rules tabletop was interesting precisely because few mechs had super optimized "big gun + a handful of medium lasers" loadout to win solo duels, you had to contend with what you've been given and make a lance of RFL-3N, QKD-5G, PXH-1 and CN9-A work against ARC-2R, JM-6S, VND-1R and SHD-2H.
There is a reason l1 and l2 sourcebooks state "refitting a battlemech is a very costly and time-consuming effort".

Personally I think being stuck with stock designs is just tremendously unfun but refitting a mech costs like 1/3rd of the price of the mech and almost a month of in game time when your finances are always ticking down. How much more costly and time consuming do you want it to be?

Aramoro posted:

Mine doesn't seem to be highlighting the Pilots, it says 'Your Turn' then I need to go find the Pilot who can go at this step. It matters more when you've had your initiative order messed with. It would just be nice to see, on the character portraits which step they activated in. Unless there's somewhere else on the entirely undocumented UI it says this other than on the Mech's themselves.

Sounds like a bug to me. I guess post a screenshot of the start of one of your initiative turns?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
All of the bad reviews on steam seem to be real complaints actually. Unless we're doing a bit or whatever in which case I am cool and totally also in on the joke.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Game good.

I played the beta a fair amount and still get a little confused about the UI, so it’s probably a lovely learning curve for anyone new. But the game really tickles that part of my brain that got joy from moving plastic mechs around on a paper hex map, and I don’t want to stop playing.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Saint Freak posted:

All of the bad reviews on steam seem to be real complaints actually. Unless we're doing a bit or whatever in which case I am cool and totally also in on the joke.

I think the "fuckin' SJW devs" review were like predominant in the first few hundred reviews, but that's really thinned out that people are posting reviews with legitimate complaints. However, many of the negative reviews I've read were basically "game is fun, performance issues are the problem, and I'll probably change my review once they patch the performance issues out".

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Vargatron posted:

"They" seems like such a dumb thing to get mad over, especially since you can, like, not choose it if it doesn't apply to you.

"I am in a noble Forever War against the evil SJWs" is a fantastic replacement for a personality

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Saint Freak posted:

there's a lot of legitimate problems with the game being called out quite rightly but there's also very much an extremely loud extremely small minority shouting really stupid poo poo over the top of them

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Saint Freak posted:

It's changed a bit now that more and more reviews have been pouring in, but the people crying about SJW's easily made up 10-20% of them in the hours immediately after release. It's toned down a bit due to heavy moderation, I think.

And I've only had to remove two posts on /r/battletech, which is shocking in how few that's been (especially for a place like Reddit). Overall the greater community has been so far fantastic in shouting down bigots and alt-right shitheads.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Anyone managed to find some use for scouting mechs? Even with their high evasion, they tend to fall apart whenever the enemy even looks at them in a vaguely menacing way. And their loadout is incredibly bad in most cases - Locust has a single Medium Laser and two MGs, which seems to be good enough to finish off an armorless, prone light mach in three turns.

I pity the people who pilot them, it seems like a punishment duty.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Eej posted:

Gunner 2 is amazing in conjunction with Gunner 1 because breaching shot works if you fire one weapon per enemy so you can just spread LRMs everywhere to break evasion on targets in cover. Also Gunnery skill is the only way to increase your max accuracy so there's that too.

Your LRM boat should more or less be Gunnery for the accuracy and Tactics for the indirect fire penalty removal with your skill choice being to your taste.

Honestly, I feel like the game is pretty much optimally done with a guts 1/gunnary 2 built. I experimented with other setups, but I keep coming back to it because the 50% damage resistance, split fire and high to hit bonuses are just so critical.

Throw on some tactics to reduce min range penalties and you can just laugh all over people with medium lasers and srms, while also carrying an ac/5 or ac/10 and a small lrm rack to smack people with the alt fire at a distance.

Also, SRM-6++ with damage boosts are utterly disgusting for what they do. The 2 point damage boost puts you up to the same damage as an AC/10 with a fraction of the heat.

One question I did have is if there is some hidden perk to sensor lock I am missing. I've yet to find myself in a position where I need the sensor lock to get LOS, and the -2 evasion seems like an enormous waste when I could remove 1 evasion by shooting. Even on a full stacked light I still have about 40-50% chance to hit, which makes giving up all shooting a total waste. Doubly so when I can multi-fire and take off a total of three evasion, albeit on multiple targets.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So does stomping on fallen mechs give a higher chance to hit the head if you are positioned at it while stomping?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Tempest_56 posted:

Seriously - I'm not sure why people are having so much trouble with it. It's a huge tutorial that signposts HEY BLOWING UP THE GENERATOR MAKES TURRETS NOT SHOOT and gives you a nice clear path with long line of sight to get to said generator and then does it a second time later in the same mission.

I had trouble because missiles legged Dekker and then he blew up before he got in range, my Blackjack got one punched by the Shadowhawk and my Shadowhawk got three pilot injuries in a row.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Gantolandon posted:

Anyone managed to find some use for scouting mechs? Even with their high evasion, they tend to fall apart whenever the enemy even looks at them in a vaguely menacing way. And their loadout is incredibly bad in most cases - Locust has a single Medium Laser and two MGs, which seems to be good enough to finish off an armorless, prone light mach in three turns.

Comedy value?

I ran up against one of those poorly armored pirate locusts last night with my heavy. A single kick took out its leg, right Torso, right arm and center Torso. It was loving glorious.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Gantolandon posted:

kind of a weird unintuitive thing i've discovered with lights but if you reserve their turn until after all the enemies have gone, then take the opportunity to dive them in and stab, then because of the way the initiative system works they'll be at the top of the queue again and can use their new turn to get the gently caress out of dodge (or stab some more)

diving in with them at the top of the queue when they come up generally just means they're a complete sitting duck throughout every single enemy unit's attack

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I had trouble because missiles legged Dekker and then he blew up before he got in range, my Blackjack got one punched by the Shadowhawk and my Shadowhawk got three pilot injuries in a row.

Yeah, Three Years Later reminds me of Gatecrasher from XCOM2: it's not that it is actually hard as a mission (of course not, it's basically a tutorial), it's that if things go wrong they go spectacularly, memorably wrong. And since this is BattleTech, things going wrong is Always A Possibility.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
If I have to bring a light along I can make good use of it by running to objectives, running behind the enemy and shooting them in the back, and doing initiative shenanigans, but I couldn't imagine bringing a 25 ton Locust to the fight if I could instead have a 75-ton heavy mech. And when you're limited to four mechs in the gang, that's the kind of choice you have to make.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Is there a way to walk around someone to Melee them from the back or side? All I can see is just attack which make you run straight forward and punch them in the front. An AI mech punched me right in the bracket and I want to return the favour.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Light mechs should be used to help with sensor locks and LRM indirect fire, never not be moving at max speed or jumping every chance you get.
Gotta go fast.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Aramoro posted:

Is there a way to walk around someone to Melee them from the back or side? All I can see is just attack which make you run straight forward and punch them in the front. An AI mech punched me right in the bracket and I want to return the favour.

if you click on the melee button in your weapons list (default key is V i think), and the mech has enough movement where they can do it, it'll highlight valid move pips around targets like you've got a movement command up, you can click them to move to that spot before you swing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

SpaceDrake posted:

Hopefully more of us get the head shot on that Quickdraw :v:

Catching up on the thread, but I had to mention that Behemoth punched that Quickdraw's head right off the turn after it incapped my PC, and then a few missions later, she got the third knockdown on the Jagermech in the prison mission, so now I have both :hellyeah:. Things are looking good for my company!