Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Also worth noting that Modi is rumored to be celibate...maybe a secret redditor on /r/incel

Ok, that last part is me starting that rumor. For a real link: https://www.pri.org/stories/2014-04-21/indians-prefer-politicians-who-refuse-have-sex-or-get-married

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

Saying "If the US pulled out of Qatar, they'd fall" is still pretty pointless, because the US military isn't going anywhere any time soon. The biggest base in Qatar isn't some little base. It's loving massive with multiple major headquarters. And it's not the only base in Qatar.

Its CENTCOM's HQ as well as home to multiple major US Combat Commands. Nobody is going anywhere. Wish they had their 4G LTE rolled out when I was there.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
Middle East story: back during the PS2 days pretty much all videogame stores sold bootleg games for ~$3 a disk and I got GTA Vice City at the ripe age of 7.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
All Damascus suburbs are under SAA control. :smug:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

rear end posted:

Middle East story: back during the PS2 days pretty much all videogame stores sold bootleg games for ~$3 a disk and I got GTA Vice City at the ripe age of 7.

Bootlegs were probably cheaper cause Saddam Hussein bought up all the PS2s to attach to his missiles :v:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Darkman Fanpage posted:

All Damascus suburbs are under SAA control. :smug:

They're still working on that area in South Damascus.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Flayer posted:

$13.99 is ridiculously expensive for what is basically a magazine length advert though. I guess the only way a thing like that makes money is if they have a deal to sell the magazine to a bunch of business's to put out in reception. I mean, nobody is spending $13.99 to read such flagrant propaganda bigging up a foreign nation surely...

Nah. This is the standard pricing for glossy magazines. Times puts out a lot of them that cover some sort of topic like history or something.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Sinteres posted:

They're still working on that area in South Damascus.

Yeah I know about Yarmouk.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/NegarMortazavi/status/989271785504944128?s=20

I'M NOT LEAVING HERE UNTIL YOU GIVE ME THAT loving MUMMY

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Thanks for posting that. I've been there more than a few times.

I swear the Iranian diaspora has a greater than normal proportion of crazies. I'm at least happy that the YouTube shooter wasn't labeled a terrorist :unsmith:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Its CENTCOM's HQ as well as home to multiple major US Combat Commands.

This isn't accurate at all. I think you've confused combatant commands with component commands.

But this is still true:

quote:

Nobody is going anywhere.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
CENTCOM's home base is technically at MacDill AFB near Tampa, yes. But CENTCOM Forward is at Al Udeid. I'd give half credit, it's not the usual arrangement.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

This isn't accurate at all. I think you've confused combatant commands with component commands.

Regional HQ, forgive me. But it is their Forward Base of Operations.

quote:

Of all six American regional unified combatant commands, CENTCOM is among the three with headquarters outside its area of operations (the other two being USAFRICOM and USSOUTHCOM). CENTCOM's main headquarters is located at MacDill Air Force Base, in Tampa, Florida. A forward headquarters was established in 2002 at Camp As Sayliyah in Doha, Qatar, which in 2009 transitioned to a forward headquarters at Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

rear end posted:

Naif road in Dubai was the go-to place for bootlegs when I was still in school.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
The Taliban have begun their annual offensive

http://www.alemarah-english.org/?p=28060

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Radio Prune posted:

oh poo poo im on a watchlist for clicking that link now am i

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

You were already on a watchlist for posting in this thread.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Radio Prune posted:

oh goddammit

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Radio Prune posted:

So in other news it's officially spring in Afghanistan. :smith:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

and to think some would say american training of the afghan population isn't having an effect :rolleyes:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Seems weird of me to only obscure some of those dudes' faces, but I'm probably missing something and there's a reason for it.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

maybe some are already dead?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Some of them are obscuring their identities with face paints and don't need blurring

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

rear end posted:

And bootleg GBA carts for around ~10 bucks.
Granted that meant youd have to throw the dice and not end up with a game that isnt the one on the label or a completely unintelligible machine translation.

Getting your PS2 chipped was a pro move back in the day.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Rigged Death Trap posted:

And bootleg GBA carts for around ~10 bucks.
Granted that meant youd have to throw the dice and not end up with a game that isnt the one on the label or a completely unintelligible machine translation.

Getting your PS2 chipped was a pro move back in the day.

Some poorly bootlegged PS2 games would end up with the red screen. I used to play in the dark and it scared the poo poo out of me every time.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Turns out Haftar’s not dead and he’s now back in Libya.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Sorry for posting fake news about his death. Please forgive me.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Squalid posted:

Turns out Haftar’s not dead and he’s now back in Libya.

In any case, Bouteflika has proven well that you can be dead and also remain the dictator of a country for years. The Algerians took "Weekend at Bernie's" as a sort of guidebook on how to pretend someone is alive. He's like a Lenin-style wax mummy with little animatronic things built in to rotate his head and arms slightly. I hear they had Madame Tussaud make the current Bouteflika model and Boston Dynamics did the animatronics.

Here's a recent video of him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJj1NcqC9OI

They did such a lovely job on making him seem like a living human, but I guess it's hard to make a convincing robot.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Saladman posted:

In any case, Bouteflika has proven well that you can be dead and also remain the dictator of a country for years. The Algerians took "Weekend at Bernie's" as a sort of guidebook on how to pretend someone is alive. He's like a Lenin-style wax mummy with little animatronic things built in to rotate his head and arms slightly. I hear they had Madame Tussaud make the current Bouteflika model and Boston Dynamics did the animatronics.

They did such a lovely job on making him seem like a living human, but I guess it's hard to make a convincing robot.

Wow, and I thought Trump had a bad comb-over.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/QalaatAlMudiq/status/989875059639640065

https://twitter.com/QalaatAlMudiq/status/989922832313397252

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
This thread is hilarious.

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/989893487586938880?s=20

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
State of emergency declared in Idlib.

https://twitter.com/ajaltamimi/status/989860548828332032

https://twitter.com/badly_xeroxed/status/989889346487676928

https://twitter.com/irratgeo/status/990122255978938373

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Interesting video from a Persepolis match in Tehran yesterday.

https://twitter.com/AlirezaNader/status/990220869145432064?s=20

It's "Reza Shah, bless your soul" if it's the same chant as in the demonstrations a couple months ago. In this section, there's one guy in the bottom right chanting very visibly. A bunch of people above him obviously do not agree, but the chant just gets louder. I wonder how this whole situation came about. It's a weird moment.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 28, 2018

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Interesting video from a Persepolis match in Tehran yesterday.

https://twitter.com/AlirezaNader/status/990220869145432064?s=20

It's "Reza Shah, bless your soul" if it's the same chant as in the demonstrations a couple months ago. In this section, there's one guy in the bottom right chanting very visibly. A bunch of people above him obviously do not agree, but the chant just gets louder. I wonder how this whole situation came about. It's a weird moment.

That's wild. Burning the body and making a "martyr" out of a corpse seems like it would maybe be a hilarious self own on the part of the regime, especially since it makes them look afraid of him. Did they decide what they're doing with it yet?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Not that I've seen.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-pakistan-usa-doctor/pakistan-moves-jailed-doctor-who-helped-track-bin-laden-idUSKBN1HZ0NC

quote:

Afridi’s lawyer, Qamar Nadeem, confirmed the transfer of his client but said he was not sure where he was now. Judicial officials could not be reached on Saturday, nor could embassy officials for the United States, which has for years called on Pakistan to release Afridi.

Afridi was accused of treason after word spread he had helped the CIA collect genetic samples of the bin Laden family, paving the way for a U.S. Navy Seal raid in 2011 in the town of Abbottabad that killed the al Qaeda leader accused of plotting the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks on the United States that killed nearly 3,000 people.

He was arrested days after the U.S. operation - which Pakistan called a violation of its sovereignty - and charged with aiding terrorists.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

EU companies need to completely stop to use US dollars for trade except when trading with the US directly.

Yeah, Iran is an essential part of India's plans to avoid containment by China. See this.

India needing good relationships with Muslim countries such as Iran but also Qatar, Bahrein, the United Arab Emirates, as well as Malaysia and Indonesia, is the biggest thing moderating Modi's anti-Muslim tendancies.

That's going to be an interesting dynamic going forward.

India needs Iran freed up for energy, but the US needs India to contain China.

I guess America is going to have to choose what it cares more about going forward. It feels like the Israel/KSA lobby is loving up the US' ability to focus on China, which is a far greater threat to its hegemony.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Saladman posted:

Lmao a literal zombie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

A news item, and some history behind it:
https://twitter.com/DavidMWitty1/status/990137686299152385

quote:

Iraqi Military Court sentences former Mosul Commander, Staff LTG Mahdi al-Gharawi, to death by firing squad for withdrawing from Mosul without orders in 2014
--
Interesting that the death sentence was signed by the commander of Iraqi Federal Police vs. the Ministry of Defense.
One of the comments below the tweet got me to do some background searching on Mahdi al-Gharawi and yeah this dude pretty much deserves the firing squad:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-monster-of-mosul-how-a-sadistic-general-helped-isis-win
(This article is from 2014)

quote:

The top Iraqi officer in Mosul, whose forces fled with hardly a fight as ISIS militants and their allies took over Iraq’s second-largest city, is an accused torturer who was once targeted by the U.S. military and the Iraqi criminal justice system.
--
Tuesday, Iraqi Prime Minster Nuri Al Maliki fired Staff Lieutenant General Mahdi Al Gharawi, relieving him of command of Nineveh province, the area where Mosul is located that is now largely under ISIS control. The prime minister also ordered that the general and his immediate subordinates face criminal charges for abandoning their posts. It’s a strange turn, because it was Maliki who decided to appoint Al Gharawi to the position in the first place over the strenuous objections of U.S. advisers and the Iraqi justice system.

After being investigated for years, Al Gharawi was charged by an Iraqi court in 2008, accused of running secret prisons and systematically torturing detainees when he was commander of the 2nd National Police Division in Baghdad. According to testimony collected from Al Gharawi’s victims and from officers who had served under him, “he ordered savage beatings and watched as interrogators brutalized detainees.” As Time Magazine reported in 2008, “some witnesses told the task force that Al Gharawi personally took part in torture in other instances.”

The charges against Al Gharawi played out against a backdrop of increasing sectarian violence in Iraq. From 2006 to 2008 Iraq was on the brink of civil war. The violence was spurred on by vicious attacks on Shia civilians, led by ISIS’ predecessor, Al Qaeda in Iraq, while Shia militias and sectarian death squads that often included members of the government’s security forces also tortured and killed Sunni civilians indiscriminately.

From 2006 to 2008, U.S. military lawyers and commanders pressed Maliki to support sending Al Gharawi to trial, to prove he was serious about weeding out sectarianism in the ranks of his security forces. Those efforts failed. A 2006 diplomatic cable released by wikileaks shows then-U.S. Ambassador Zalmay Khalilizad explaining Maliki’s intransigence. “Mahdi has proven valuable enough to Maliki,” Khalilizad wrote, “that he rebuffed our request that he execute an Iraqi warrant for Mahdi’s arrest.”

A unit called the Major Crimes Task Force, consisting of both American and Iraqi lawyers and investigators, built a strong case against Mahdi. The unit compiled dozens of witness statements about his participation in the systematic torture of detainees along sectarian lines at the height of the violence between Sunni and Shia factions in Iraq in 2005 and 2006. (In 2007, as an American officer in Baghdad, I assisted the Major Crimes Task Force in their efforts to pursue General Mahdi’s arrest and trial.) This investigation augmented a previous Iraqi warrant from 2006. Twenty brave witnesses delivered statements that he ordered the systematic torture of detainees and often supervised it himself.

In an excerpt of that confidential cable dated the 7th of August 2006, Khalilizad discusses the government’s arrest of security force members being charged with violent criminal acts—war crimes, essentially:

“Mahdi is alleged to have committed gross human rights violations and extra-judicial killings during his service as the National Police’s Second Division Commander at the detention facility known as Site 4. Mahdi has proven valuable enough to Maliki, however, that he rebuffed our request that he execute an Iraqi warrant for Mahdi’s arrest. MoI Bulani has also been unhelpful on this issue. He has told us that Mahdi was absolved of allegations against him pursuant to Section 134B of the Iraqi Criminal Code that allows a Minister to block the implementation of an arrest warrant if the suspected individual is conducting the official duties of his office.”

The cable offers a firsthand insight into Maliki’s priorities at the time—concentrating authority and instilling sectarianism in the Iraqi Security Forces. In fact, the Iraqi government would drag its feet on arresting General Mahdi for another two years before finally refusing once and for all.

Ironically, it was an Iraqi legal code intended to prevent sectarian targeting that the Maliki government used to help Al Gharawi escape justice through a loophole. According to an Iraqi statute, section 134B of the Iraqi Criminal Code, a minister can dismiss criminal charges against a member of his ministry to prevent the sectarian prosecution of his ministerial employees. It was not intended to protect police generals facing trials for the mass torture and execution of civilians but, perversely, that’s how it was applied in Al Gharawi’s case.

Heated exchanges followed between U.S. and Iraqi officials when Al Gharawi’s charges were dropped. Both U.S. Ambassador Crocker and General Petraeus tried to convince the Iraqi government that it had to show its skeptical Sunni citizens that a Shiite government was willing to arrest senior Shiite security officials for sectarian violence. Instead, the predominantly Shia government decided to let Al Gharawi go. Once the accused war criminal was free, the Iraqi government then put him in charge of the largest Sunni Arab majority city in the country, Mosul, where Al Qaeda was still actively resisting the government.

Even if Mahdi Al Gharawi was somehow innocent of all these charges, the message his appointment sent to the citizens of Nineveh province was unmistakable: that Maliki was not concerned about a Shiite general with this taint on his reputation being in charge of a Sunni province. And the U.S. is implicated too, as Al Gharawi assumed command in Nineveh before the U.S. withdrew from Iraq. How much the U.S. command at the time resisted this decision is unknown, but American memories in Iraq are notoriously short and it is entirely possible that many officers in 2011 were simply unaware of his unsavory reputation despite the fact that two successive American ambassadors in Iraq had campaigned for his arrest.

Even worse is that Human Rights Watch recommended his relief only a year ago for ongoing abuses committed under his command in Mosul.

The Human Rights Watch report from last year details a pattern of abuse in Al Gharawi’s 3rd Federal Police Division during 2012 and 2013. The report recounts the disappearance of a 15-year-old boy in police custody whose body was later found with large-caliber gunshot wounds, and an incident where Federal Police opened fire on peaceful protesters, killing one and injuring others. By all indications, the general was operating exactly as he had in South Baghdad in 2005 and 2006, abusing and alienating the population.