Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Eej posted:

Lasts until the end of the round iirc so the best way to use it is reserve until the last phase, move in, take your shot, then when the next set of turns happens immediately duck behind cover and sensor lock to paint a target for the LRM barrage.

i guess what i’m confused most about is you can indirect fire on targets with LRMs so long as they’re in line of sight of any other teammate, right? is the reason why sensor locking is good for LRMs just the evasion penalty?

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i head shotted the quickdraw with a ppc on the first turn. :w00t:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cowcaster posted:

i guess what i’m confused most about is you can indirect fire on targets with LRMs so long as they’re in line ofnsight of any other teammate, right? is the reason why sensor locking is good for LRMs just the evasion penalty?

You can then target enemies that are in sight of NONE of your mechs (and therefore can't shoot back).

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Nef Arious posted:

My Day 1 hot take:

This game REALLY needed a bit more time to work out some major bugs. (Camera, strange pauses, resolution support, etc.) Overall gameplay has been generally OK so far other than that. UI is a bit of a mess, but its serviceable.

From what I remember the original ship date was sometime last year and they pushed it back, so having another delay would probably cause backers to riot.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

GreyjoyBastard posted:

You can then target enemies that are in sight of NONE of your mechs (and therefore can't shoot back).

ohhhhhhh. for some reason i assumed losing line of sight would break the sensor lock.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

https://imgur.com/a/BvERNEo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How effective would an all punching all the time Lance be? It's by far the funniest thing in the game.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Radio Free Kobold posted:

A medium 'mech with Master Tactician. A light 'mech is never meaty.

Try the Jenner. It's fast, jumpy, and shooty.

Fine by me, I like how the Jenner looks.

Which medium mech would be the best for a master tactician? I've heard good things about the trebuchet but haven't been able to build one yet.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cowcaster posted:

i guess what i’m confused most about is you can indirect fire on targets with LRMs so long as they’re in line ofnsight of any other teammate, right? is the reason why sensor locking is good for LRMs just the evasion penalty?
I just finally got it with Glitch, and while I still only have the LRM5 I never tore out of my Vindicator on roster? -2 Evasion is still a big deal when trying to line up regular shots. More so with freshly arrived enemies who have 4 pips of evasion.

"Aw gently caress, they have a Heavy... aw gently caress, it's got 4 evasion pips right now! Our shot chances are garbage-Oh, thanks Dekker. Now we don't need a loving called shot to break 70%"

The action economy still feels good on Light mech, because that's twice the evasion taken away in one mech's turn, than "...Well, I can miss with my pair of medium lasers for -1 evasion"

Behemoth loving hates no LoS indirect fire already. All my paranoia for my lights, and it's the Shadowhawk LRMs adore so far.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 25, 2018

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Sensor lock also removes two evasion chevrons.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Holy poo poo this is awful.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Eraflure posted:

Fine by me, I like how the Jenner looks.

Which medium mech would be the best for a master tactician? I've heard good things about the trebuchet but haven't been able to build one yet.

i think the centurion acquits itself well if you load it up with lrms

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

AHAHAHAHA god I needed that.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
:toot: restarted for Totally Garbage Exclusive Ability reasons and headshot the moon heavy out of the blue.

thank Space Allah for getting three guaranteed salvage slots on that mission

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

hire him, put him in a locust, and let nature take its course

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

i think the centurion acquits itself well if you load it up with lrms

Trying this out right now, cheers.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

We should make a youtube collaboration of this guy getting headcapped

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
So, starting Mechs refit.

SHADOWHAWK: 1AC/5, 2*SRM4, 1ML, maxed frontal armor.
I'm considering removing something to stick 1SL in, but I'm not sure what, possibly 1JJ?
BLACKJACK: 2*AC/5, 2*ML, removed JJ and HS, raised armor (but not maxed it) - I'm considering putting a LL instead of the second AC/5 to add some more armor and a few JJ though, direct fire sniping is rough with low mobility on certain maps.
VINDICATOR: 1PPC, 1LRM10, maxed frontal armor.
SPIDER: removed some JJ to raise armor, but I still kept most of them to avoid getting trapped (it's not always evident which parts of the environment block los, at a glance).

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

I have this guy on my team, I don't use him because Dekker is still alive.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Hi friends

the Grasshopper is a 70 ton firestarter: it can hold 6 flamers

yes it has jump jets and its fast and it can hold a terrifying amount of medium lasers to back up the flamers

you want one

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

The one thing that's really annoying me is that the game autosaves only after the prompts you get after finishing the mission. I accidentally scrapped my nearly undamaged Blackjack, instead of half-burned out Shadowhawk. Turns out it's already in the save...

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

UberJew posted:

Hi friends

the Grasshopper is a 70 ton firestarter: it can hold 6 flamers

yes it has jump jets and its fast and it can hold a terrifying amount of medium lasers to back up the flamers

you want one

I am super stoked for a Grasshopper.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

So, I figured out you can definitely mess around with the skirmish pilots as those are the ones in the ksbeta .jsons. I think you can't get away with messing with a pilot that's already loaded into your campaign though, as that causes the game to hang when you try to load a file with them in it.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Plenty of idiots but still no heavy mech.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Bramble posted:

Can I sell the partial mech salvage I get after a mission? Or do I have to actually assemble the mech first? It seems to be worth a lot per the mission complete report, but it's not showing up in the store under the sell tab.

I think you have to assemble it first. Once it's assembled you store it and then sell it from storage. I believe the only reason to ever use salvage is because the mech is damaged and you don't have time to repair, but I could be wrong.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:toot: restarted for Totally Garbage Exclusive Ability reasons and headshot the moon heavy out of the blue.

thank Space Allah for getting three guaranteed salvage slots on that mission

I ended up crushing the face of the moon heavy via pummeling and got to salvage it as well.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm sitting here at work and all I can think about is sprinting up to fools in my SRM/AC5 ShadowHawk, then murdering them while letting Bulwark do it's thing.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

isn’t an ac5 bad at srm range

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The min rage of an AC5 and the max range of an SRM are close enough for it to work well.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
loving noble lady just headbutted a downed Jaeger to death on the prison mission. A downed Jaeger with a twice injured pilot and both torso sides left. Urghhhhh.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
So I restarted now that I've had a little more experience with the game and I got to the bit where the Bad Guys send a guy named Captain Haust to kill you.

Captain Haust fired one volley and overheated himself into shutdown, so I poured enough fire into him that he fell over, so while he was down in the initiative order I poured even more fire into him and he died.

So long, Captain Haust. You had a voiced line and everything.

Dumbass.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lmao

The game straight up tells you this is where the dropship is landing, don't move stuff here

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

^^^^
yeah i had one land on my shadowhawk, had to reload that one

My player character took four wounds in a battle and was out for nearly two months. I picked up a random mech warrior with the call sign of Hero who kind of looked like my player character anyway.

Hero's first battle put him in my guy's Centurion. I was cleaning up the scraps and only had two light mechs to put down when a scrappy little commando ran right up to my Centurion and somehow punched it's already damaged cockpit off the mech. Hero did not survive.

That Commando didn't survive either, but was the true hero of the match. It's considered bad luck to pilot the commander's mech now.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Captain Haust fired one volley and overheated himself into shutdown, so I poured enough fire into him that he fell over,

Weird, I didn't think a Wolverine could reach shutdown level of heat in one alpha....

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Weird, I didn't think a Wolverine could reach shutdown level of heat in one alpha....

I didn't either, so it might have been a bug of some sort (or maybe he alpha'd in a surprise round, then alpha'd again without moving?). It was funny as hell, though.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

I didn't either, so it might have been a bug of some sort (or maybe he alpha'd in a surprise round, then alpha'd again without moving?). It was funny as hell, though.

He Jumpjets in.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Were you on one of the maps with less heat efficiency? Moons are brutal for mechs that naturally run hot.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm kinda confused about the early game skills you pick when you create your robro warrior. Are those things you can change later? What are the things you should be building towards?

Dipes
Oct 24, 2003
This game has heart, but it really isn't that competently made. The amount of bugs related to saved games and loading and poo poo is pretty intolerable. I ran the tutorial, locked up after finishing it, uninstall, refund. Will try again in a year.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm kinda confused about the early game skills you pick when you create your robro warrior. Are those things you can change later? What are the things you should be building towards?

If you mean the history stuff, just take what you like, you can easily fill in your skills very quickly if you wanted something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

I got a Hunchie 4P, brought it to a polar mission and gave it to a called shot expert.

This is the best. :getin: