Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

carry on then posted:

can't wait to be unable to use my ide if i don't have a net connection.

one of the IDEs I work with already does this

the schematic capture tools do this too

i'm almost certain the cad software that the mechanical guys use also refuses to start if it can't phone home

welcome to the world of the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Imagine if Microsoft Word was your GUI toolkit and programs could only be written in VBA

What we got was only slightly better than that

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Blotto Skorzany posted:

i'm almost certain the cad software that the mechanical guys use also refuses to start if it can't phone home

Swr (stallman was right)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

Imagine if Microsoft Word was your GUI toolkit and programs could only be written in VBA

vba is unequivocally better than javascript.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
still true if vba stands for "very brutal anal" given the nature of javascript

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

also all of your programs are actually just really big .doc files, and they have to be run in a full Microsoft Word window

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Blotto Skorzany posted:

Im familiar with a line of business windows app for use in property management that has required a net connection since it came out 20 years ago

It's stupid

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

vba is unequivocally better than javascript.

explain

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
vba has a real type system

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

vba has a real type system

no it doesn't

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

does vbscript still work in modern versions of ie?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

yes it does.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
Dim Shaggar

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
On Error Resume Next

(actually this has been ported to javascript https://github.com/mattdiamond/fuckitjs )

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

HappyHippo posted:

javascript sucks but being able to just go to a website and use the application is so much nicer than having to download and install poo poo

agreed, it's pretty sweet. for example why would you want to install a dedicated rss app when you can just use google reader

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

On Error Resume Next

(actually this has been ported to javascript https://github.com/mattdiamond/fuckitjs )

you joke, but
https://github.com/ReactiveX/rxjs/blob/master/src/internal/operators/onErrorResumeNext.ts

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Thermopyle posted:

Also, each of my most used web apps has its own window without an address bar and it's own icon

don’t worry, it probably did this by including an entire browser stack in its installation rather than use the operating system’s browser stack, so it doesn’t get any of the OS security fixes, exploit mitigations, power/battery enhancements, etc. at the same time as the OS (and may never get them)

also it doesn’t get to take advantage of shared library caches or even VM page sharing so enjoy your higher memory use

and enjoy your lovely non-native UI that doesn’t quite fit in with or work like anything else

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sapozhnik posted:

it might even be arguable that what we got is worse than that

VBA’s semantics might suck but they might suck less than LiveScript’s

delenda est JavaScript

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Sapozhnik posted:

oh, you've used some of our internal enterprise tools?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

eschaton posted:

don’t worry, it probably did this by including an entire browser stack in its installation rather than use the operating system’s browser stack, so it doesn’t get any of the OS security fixes, exploit mitigations, power/battery enhancements, etc. at the same time as the OS (and may never get them)

also it doesn’t get to take advantage of shared library caches or even VM page sharing so enjoy your higher memory use

and enjoy your lovely non-native UI that doesn’t quite fit in with or work like anything else

Chrome > More Tools > Add to desktop

I already addressed your other points

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Thermopyle posted:

lol no you didn't you just hand waved them away with your opinion

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Soricidus posted:

agreed, it's pretty sweet. for example why would you want to install a dedicated rss app when you can just use google reader

this is definitely an irritating downside of web apps

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

carry on then posted:

lol no you didn't you just hand waved them away with your opinion

yes, "addressed" does not mean "proved you wrong"

me: this and this doesn't bother me
other person: the downside is this and this
me: yes, i addrssed that

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Thermopyle posted:

what is the point of this non sequitur, it has nothing to do with eschaton's post

Thermopyle posted:

also saying "yes this is a problem but i don't care" is not really useful in discussions on the quality of things

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

what is the point of this non sequitur, it has nothing to do with eschaton's post

Does it not directly address the following?

eschaton posted:

DELETE CASCADE posted:

also saying "yes this is a problem but i don't care" is not really useful in discussions on the quality of things

im discussing why a person may continue to use something that is less than ideal

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Thermopyle posted:

Does it not directly address the following?

not if this is true

Thermopyle posted:

each of my most used web apps has its own window without an address bar and it's own icon
unless you have set up those web app icons to launch your own os-updated version of chrome and navigate (address-barless) to the url for each app, which would be the first i've heard of anyone doing that

like if you download the slack app and you run it from its icon you are getting slack's embedded browser

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

not if this is true

unless you have set up those web app icons to launch your own os-updated version of chrome and navigate (address-barless) to the url for each app, which would be the first i've heard of anyone doing that

Try doing what I said.

It creates a desktop icon with the sites favicon that opens a chromless, address-bar-less window and it uses your installed version of Chrome...which, on Windows at least, is going to be updated way more frequently then the OS-provided browser.

The reason I brought it up is because I knew eschaton was thinking of Electron apps like Slack which are exactly as he describes.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

oh wow i'm sorry i read your post as saying "add chrome to your windows desktop" rather than "use this feature of chrome to generate an icon for your web app on your windows desktop"

never mind i'm an idiot carry on

javascript is still bad tho

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i am a foremost expert in trying to do push the boundaries and do things in browsers.

the amount of walls, barriers, bugs i hit in core web apis is over the top ridiculous. things are broken and busted and far from fixed. often times there will be issues on the browser trackers with no momentum to even start fixing. a lot of the time there is a "oh wow this is completely busted" comment from a browser dev. yet no fix. browsers are, uh, getting but i still run into compatibility issues between chrome and firefox every few weeks.

to give a recent example, you would think that one of the things that would probably be hashed out by now would be entering text in a textfield, since that's like 90% of complex interactions on the web. hahahaha nope, editing is so screwed up and hosed that there's NO standard for any sort of editing support and every browser does it differently. there's a spec but there seems to be absolutely no momentum. here's a bug i ran into:

https://github.com/w3c/editing/issues/160

and that's just inserting text. keyboard events, for a start, are completely hosed between different browsers. they have a "key" property and a "code" property but there is not even remotely any consistency between what's mapped to what. just take a look at this mess: https://github.com/novnc/noVNC/blob/master/core/input/util.js

this isn't even getting into apis that are broken by design, like the web audio stuff

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
javascript is a terrible foundation for an application platform and i have absolutely no expectation that anything will work in a browser.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i'd be ok with the web platform if it WORKED. unfortunately, all of the major players seem to throw their hands up and not care and instead are spending their efforts solving problems everybody stopped caring about 5 years ago, like adding HTML Components and Shadow DOM and Service Workers

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Thermopyle posted:

Thermopyle posted:

Try doing what I said.

It creates a desktop icon with the sites favicon that opens a chromless, address-bar-less window and it uses your installed version of Chrome...which, on Windows at least, is going to be updated way more frequently then the OS-provided browser.

My favorite loving Chrome feature. Never again will any of my almost-always open web apps (work mail, work calendar, timesheet, todo list, bug tracker, etc.) get totally lost in all the other tabs

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Suspicious Dish posted:

i'd be ok with the web platform if it WORKED. unfortunately, all of the major players seem to throw their hands up and not care and instead are spending their efforts solving problems everybody stopped caring about 5 years ago, like adding HTML Components and Shadow DOM and Service Workers

If you're operating with the assumption "any or many imperfections in the web platform mean that it is complete poo poo" I've got some bad news for you re imperfections in other platforms, shades of grey, and things that are not always joys to work with but are nonetheless needs-suiting

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Choosing between VBA and JavaScript is like picking between MRSA and genital herpes.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I mean back in the day things were equally hosed in the balkanized world of Unix. Then Linux wiped everybody else out so now there is a happy consensus of one.

There are upsides and downsides to a platform's spec being a 10,000 page document instead of 16 million lines of C++.

That being said browser devs are a bunch of juvenile fuckups and so are the people who manage them.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Soricidus posted:

thanks for reminding me about google's most infuriating decision

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

the amount of walls, barriers, bugs i hit in core web apis is over the top ridiculous. things are broken and busted and far from fixed. often times there will be issues on the browser trackers with no momentum to even start fixing. a lot of the time there is a "oh wow this is completely busted" comment from a browser dev. yet no fix.

this is because running code in web pages is deprecated

delenda est JavaScript

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

perhaps they’re throwing us their hands because they care, and understand that web pages don’t need to run code

HTML Components sounds like some sort of “composing web pages together” thing so it probably makes sense to spend time on

but browser vendors should stop worrying about poo poo like Shadow DOM and Service Workers, web pages don’t need either of those things because web pages are for presenting hierarchical text documents, not for running code

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

eschaton posted:

this is because running code in web pages is deprecated

delenda est JavaScript

april first was nearly a month ago